Death & Funeral of Dss Donata of Oldenburg (formerly Pss of Prussia) - 5/18 Sept. '15

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAfan

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
N/A
Country
Italy
Death & Funeral of Dss Donata of Oldenburg (formerly Pss of Prussia) - 5/18 Sept. '15

H.H. Duchess Donata of Oldenburg, née Countess Donata zu Castell-Rüdenhausen and formerly Princess of Prussia, passed away on 5 September 2015 at Trauenstein, in Bayern, aged 65.

She was born on 20 June 1950, as daughter of Fürst Sigfried and Fürstin Irene zu Castell-Rüdenhausen.
She was married firstly in 1975 to H.R.H. Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia (1944-1977), the son and heir of Prince Louis Ferdnand of Prussia, Head of the Prussian Royal House, and of his wife, née Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Prussia. She had two children by him, Georg Friedrich (current Head of the Prussian Royal House) and Cornelie-Cécile. She remained widow in 1977, after her husband died in a accident.
In 1991 she married secondly to H.H. Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg, born in 1936 as one of the children of Hereditary Grand Duke Nikolaus and of his first wife, née Princess Helena zu Waldeck und Pyrmont. Friedrich August was firstly married to Princess Marie Cecile of Prussia, sister of her first husband Prince Louis Ferdinand. They didn't have children together.

Royal Musings: Duchess Donata of Oldenburg is dead at 65

Sad news that the Prince's mother,Duchess Donata,passed away - aged 65 - last monday after a short illness.

R.I.P.

Oh sad news.
I was so happy to see her at the Prince of Prussia's Wedding and i saw Cecilia.

Was she happy with the Duke of Oldenburg, her sister in law, ex husband ??

My translation:

Donata Emma Herzogin von Oldenburg born Gräfin zu Castell-Rüdenhausen formerly Prinzessin von Preussen has passed away. Her brother, Karl Graf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen, informed that the Duchess died in the night to Saturday at the age of 65, at a hospital in Traunstein (Oberbayern), after years of illness. The Duchess had her residence in Inzell.

Donata was born on June 20, 1950 as the third of eight children of Siegfried Fürst zu Castell-Rüdenhausen and of Irene Gräfin zu Solms-Laubach. Donata was born at her paternal residence, Schloss Rüdenhausen. In 1975, Donata, a certified nurse, married Louis-Ferdinand Prinz von Preussen. Two years later, her husband died in an accident. In 1991, she married her second husband, Friedrich-August Herzog von Oldenburg, at Schloss Rüdenhausen. Donata had two children from her first marriage: Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen (1976) and Cornelie-Cécile Prinzessin von Preussen (1978).

For years, the Duchess was active for children in Romania, by collecting money on fundraisers, concerts and readings by authors. With the money a hospital in the Romanian city of Temesvar was rebuilt.

http://www.mainpost.de/regional/kitzingen/Herzoeginnen;art773,8900540

Last edited:
According media the late Duchess von Oldenburg suffered illness for a long time.

Very sad, I really liked her, may she rest in peace.

It is god that she was alive at the birth of her granddaughter and presumably was able tt her

Very sad news. Do we know what the illness was?

RIP. Glad to know she got to meet Princess Emma.

RIP. Condolences to the entire family.

RIP. Glad to know she got to meet Princess Emma.

Most likely Princess Emma is named after her: Donata Emma Gräfin zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. By the way, Donata has Dutch family too. Her late younger brother Christian Graf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen was married to Carolina ("Roline") Johanna Jacoba Hintzen Pels Rijcken and lived at Twickel Castle. Donata's nephew Roderick Graf zu Castell-Rudenhausen is now the owner of that castle.

Have the funeral details been released yet?

Sad news! May she rest in peace...
I suppose that now, when their mother has passed away, Georg-Friedrich will take care of Cornelie-Cecile?

Oh, that's sad, may she RIP. As others have said, at least she got to see Princess Emma and her brothers before she died.

Her late younger brother Christian Graf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen was married to Carolina ("Roline") Johanna Jacoba Hintzen Pels Rijcken and lived at Twickel Castle. Donata's nephew Roderick Graf zu Castell-Rudenhausen is now the owner of that castle.
Duchess Donata also had a dutcfh connection through her paternal grandmother who waqs born Countess Mechtthild of Bentionkc. Through her also comes the connection to the Twickel Estate. But it doeesn't belong to the Castell-Rüdenhausen Family but to a Foundation.

Yes, Mechtild Baroness van Heeckeren van Wassenaer née Countess van Altenburg-Bentinck indeed. By the way, almost all Dutch artistiocratic and patrician families have donated their historic patrimonium in a family-foundation, to preserve it for the future. The Hohenzollerns did the same.

The Twickel Foundation was already established on April 7th april 1953 not only administering the various castles, houses and domains but also the expensive interiors, the artworks, the inventories, etc.

Yes, Mechtild Baroness van Heeckeren van Wassenaer née Countess van Altenburg-Bentinck indeed. By the way, almost all Dutch artistiocratic and patrician families have donated their historic patrimonium in a family-foundation, to preserve it for the future. The Hohenzollerns did the same.
There are two Mechtild's The Baroness van Heeckeren van Wassenaar was a cousin of Donata's grandmother Fürstin Mechtild zu Castell-Rüdenhausen, nee Countess of Bentinck.

Today the late Duchess was burried in Bad Reichenhall, Bavaria. The service took place at the Evangelische Stadtkirche. Afterwards the duchess was intered at the family mausoleum of the Oldenburgs.Tomrrow there is a memorial service in the Kirche St. Peter und Paul in Rüdenhausen.

ROYALBLOG.NL: Duitse vorstenhuizen bij uitvaart Donata

Death announcement.

Last edited:
I've been searching to see pix of the event. Even looking for the traduction of "burial" in German.... for you all who want to search it is "beerdigung".

I think they also use 'trauerfeier' for the service. I can't find anything thus far either.

It looks like they managed to fly under the press radar. I couldn't find anything either. It must have been a very private funeral.

I was sorry to learn that Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie have lost his mother, and their children a grandmother, when she was so relatively young. May she rest in peace.

So sad there have been no pix.... I really appreciated her !

Back
Top Bottom