The Royal Household of the Kingdom of Greece

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Dallas
Country
United States
How many people did the Royal Household consists of during the Kingdom of Greece? Does anyone know the different positions?

For sure, there were the following:
Grand Chamberlain [Megas Avlarchis - Μέγας Αυλάρχης] a post held for almost 20 years by Mr. D. Levidis
The Queen's Chamberlain [Αυλάρχης Βασιλίσσης] a position held during the Frederika years by Mr. Leloudas
Head of the Royal Stables [Μέγας Σταυλάρχης] a position held during Paul's reign by General Sophocles Papanikolaou
King's Equerry a position held during Constantine's reign by Michael Arnaoutis
King's Secretary a position held during Constantine's reign by Mr. Marinos Geroulanos
Head of the Military House of the King [Αρχηγός Στρατιωτικού Οίκου του Βασιλέως] a position held during the Paul years by general Dovas and Balodemos
The Grand Lady-in-waiting [Μεγάλη Κυρία των Τιμών] a position held until the departure of the royal family by Madame Mary Karolou
Ladies in-waiting [Κυρίαι των Τιμών] several positions held by many personages including Mademoiselle Paparrigopoulou, Madame Gianoulatos and others.

The list isn't so acurate...Marinos Geroulanos was the Queen's Frederica's Chamberlain, not King Constantine's secratary. During tha Military junta, Grand Chamberlain was Mr. Leonidas Papagos, son of Marshal and Prime Minister Alexander Papagos...

The list isn't so acurate...Marinos Geroulanos was the Queen's Frederica's Chamberlain, not King Constantine's secratary. During tha Military junta, Grand Chamberlain was Mr. Leonidas Papagos, son of Marshal and Prime Minister Alexander Papagos...

The list may be incomplete but is very accurate. Please read my statement again.
I quoted Mr Levidis as one - not the only - grand chamberlain who, in fact, happened to be the longest serving in post WWII years. Ambassador Papagos followed Mr. Levidis.
Without being certain, I do not believe Queen Frederika continued to have a Chamberlain after King Paul's death. Insofar as Mr. Geroulanos was concerned, he did not serve as Chamberlain.

After Levidis, was Papathanasopoulos the man who was Chamberalain to the King. After him, Papagos. And yes, Queen Frederika had Geroulanos as a Chamberlain. It happent to work as a royal journalist in a magazine so, i believe i know a litle bit about it;-)

:previous: I believe Mr Arnaoutis left Greece with the Royal family December 13, 1967. Whatever happened to the rest of the Royal Household?

There was an article in the New York Times at the time of Anne-Marie and Constantine's engagement about one of her Danish ladies-in-waiting who had fallen in love with one of his Greek aides. The lady was planning to go to Greece with Anne-Marie when she married, and then the staff couple was planning to marry as well. Does anyone know who they were or what happened to them later?

:previous: I believe Mr Arnaoutis left Greece with the Royal family December 13, 1967. Whatever happened to the rest of the Royal Household?

Arnaoutis, who has passed away in 1998(that's why in Greek we don't call dead people "Mr" :lol:), was already serving in the Greek Embassy in London at that time, he wasn't at the Royal Household. He returned to HM services after 1974, unfurtunatly not always serving him well...

and Yorgos Moralis....Most of these people were reintegrated into other positions in Republic

:previous::previous:
Roimat Nicolopoulos, since you are both good with names and I am having blonde moments, can you help here..Who was the Avlarhis who left Athens with the Royal family and stayed with them in Rome before they settled in London?. Who was the King's representative who initially negotiated the removal of some of the personal property from Greece to London?. :flowers:

:previous::previous:
Roimat Nicolopoulos, since you are both good with names and I am having blonde moments, can you help here..Who was the Avlarhis who left Athens with the Royal family and stayed with them in Rome before they settled in London?. Who was the King's representative who initially negotiated the removal of some of the personal property from Greece to London?. :flowers:

As for your first question, the Avlarhis was Leonidas Papagos, son of the Marsal and prime minister Papagos. He was appointed as Avlarhis from the Junda, but was a dicent man and stayed near the King till 1977. The King's representative in Greece, to whom you are refairing, is indeed Marios Stavridis, admiral, who died few years ago.

As for your first question, the Avlarhis was Leonidas Papagos, son of the Marsal and prime minister Papagos. He was appointed as Avlarhis from the Junda, but was a dicent man and stayed near the King till 1977. The King's representative in Greece, to whom you are refairing, is indeed Marios Stavridis, admiral, who died few years ago.

Thank you. The names that swirled around my head were Arnaoutis and, Levides but then again between dying brain cells and the blond hair, I get easily forgetful...:bang:

Thank you. The names that swirled around my head were Arnaoutis and, Levides but then again between dying brain cells and the blond hair, I get easily forgetful...:bang:

LOL...blond hair is a sign of Royalty:flowers:

For sure, there were the following:
Grand Chamberlain [Megas Avlarchis - Μέγας Αυλάρχης] a post held for almost 20 years by Mr. D. Levidis
The Queen's Chamberlain [Αυλάρχης Βασιλίσσης] a position held during the Frederika years by Mr. Leloudas
Head of the Royal Stables [Μέγας Σταυλάρχης] a position held during Paul's reign by General Sophocles Papanikolaou
King's Equerry a position held during Constantine's reign by Michael Arnaoutis
King's Secretary a position held during Constantine's reign by Mr. Marinos Geroulanos
Head of the Military House of the King [Αρχηγός Στρατιωτικού Οίκου του Βασιλέως] a position held during the Paul years by general Dovas and Balodemos
The Grand Lady-in-waiting [Μεγάλη Κυρία των Τιμών] a position held until the departure of the royal family by Madame Mary Karolou
Ladies in-waiting [Κυρίαι των Τιμών] several positions held by many personages including Mademoiselle Paparrigopoulou, Madame Gianoulatos and others.

Did the queens and princesses of Greece have ladies in the company?

Formerly, they had Ladies in-waiting were women of important families , theirfamilies were known to be monarchies, their relatives occupied positions in the Royal House ... They were Queen's personal assistants. They prepared charitable events, participated in solidarity projects, participated in the preparation of official visits....

Last edited:
Traditional events of the Monarchy of Greece

What were the traditional events in Greece where the royal family was present? (ex: National Day, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom