The position of the Royal Family and attitudes to restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greece is a republic, but there are people who believe it is possible a state with a democratic and parliamentary monarchy. I do not think they have to accept that their country is a Republic, because they live in it, only express their opinion. They have right believe in the monarchy. I believe this is like God, a person can live in a state that proclaims, officially agnostic, but people can believe in God. You can not tell a person to accept that God does not exist because the state in the constitution says that the State is agnostic( has not official religion.)

Will do, Warren. My questions still remain answered, but I will refrain from stating a post that is anti-GRF. I will post from now on only positive words on this forum.

:previous:
I'm not concerned whether your opinion is pro, anti or "what were the options again?", only that what is posted is rational, has a factual basis, and has some relevance to the thread topic.

The property in Tatoi (basis of the suit) was acquired in 1871 with funds the Queen Olga had from her income as a GD of Russia, during Tsarist times. The King George had an income from the Danish royal family and they rebuilt the palace when it was destroyed by a suspicious fire that almost claimed their lives. Tatoi was not a gift from the Greek people to the royal family and it belonged to them outright. The settlement the King received from the Greek nation was a fraction of its worth.
With regard to a mention that the King would want his throne back to cement his position vis a vis other royal families is at best naive. The Royal family has left Greece in 1967 and to this day their relationship with all other royal families is as strong as ever. They are included in all royal events and all other Royals respond to their invitations.
Lastly if the King was more concerned about appearances and status, he would have forced his children to marry other royals rather than follow their hearts and marry commoners.
At this point there is no chance of the GRF returning to Greece to reign and this is a much better outcome for the royals than the people of Greece.

King Constantine is invited and will continue being invited to royal weddings and others......, and his children and his grandchildren, because they belong to a royal dynasty. Other Monarchies without throne, will be invited to the wedding..... because they belong to royal dynasties. This has always been so. Tatoi was the subject of a sentence of Strasbourg Court , in it was demostrated that the title of property belonged to King Constantine, Princess Irene and Princess Katherini. The Sentence was in 2000. The Strasbourg Court gave a deadline of two years for the Government and the former family negotiate the return ..., but the Government refused to negotiate from the start, preferred to accept the quantities of the valued economic of property and sanction of the Court . In 2002 the amount was determined. Now abandoned it or no is of the Greek State. In Greece there people that belive in monarchies. in Greece, with or without a throne will be people who believe in the monarchy and will continue belive in it.

Last edited:
I came across some information on the law as it exists with regard to Greek citizenship/Citizens.
One can acquire Greek Citizenship by birth if his parents were Greek citizens at the time. The military oath taken by persons who serve the Greek military substitutes for the oath of the Greek citizen. In both cases, the King is a de facto Greek citizen.

Loss of citizenship could result if the Greek citizen renouces his GS acquires a foreign citizenship. (Does not seem that the King ever renounced his GS)

Revocation of Citizenship. If the Greek citizen takes a position in the public sector of a foreign country and the Greek Minister of Internal affaires invites him to abstain but he refuses.
If during a stay in a foreign country the citizen acts in the interest of the foreign country contrary to the interests of Greece.
One's loss of citizenship is personal and does not affect the wife's or children's citizenship.
These are highlights of a 14 page code published by the Greek Ministry of the Interior.
The government revoked the GRF's citizenship and passports in an effort to minimise and ridicule them. It had no legal basis.
The issue with the last name was one effort on the part of government to force the King's hand and it backfired.

King's children have Greek passports?

they have not passport of Hellenic Republic. Princes Theodora and filippos have english passport and princess Alexia, Prince paul and Prince nikolaos have danish passport.

That's a new proff how Greece does not respect fundamental human rights.

Popularity of the Greek monarchy before Constantine

How popular was the Greek monarchy in the 1950s and early 1960s, before King Constantine?

Was there always a large split in Greek society over the monarchy? Was the monarchy basically imposed by the US and UK after WWII, or were Greeks always generally supportive of it?

I recall that the monarchy was overthrown in the 1920s and then restored, in what I'd guess was a sham referendum in the 1930s, and after WWII the US and UK played a role in restoring it then?

Has the current economic disaster in Greece changed people attitude to the Greek Royal Family. I was reading in a blog that there is a movement among Greek royalists for the return of King constantine. Is this true? I for one think that the Greek royal family would be an asset to the country and stand by the people as a King is above politics. Since 8/10 Greeks have lost total trust in their politicians that have led the country into such humiliation and not to mention abolished the monarchy for their own gain. Bring back king Constantine II and his family. he has greater ties to Europe than any of these joke political leaders. Zito h Hellas, Zito O Vasilias.

People are very unhappy with the politicians, that's obvious, they have ruined the country, they are a privileged social class, the Greeks are suffering trimmings in our rights and wages, but the politicians are not cut their salaries. In recent months many have criticized the figure of the President of the Republic, this position is occupied by elderly politicians, has a big salary and serves no function in the state. Some Greek TVs have spoken about Groups of facebook and others...there are many groups of people who are calling for the restoration of the monarchy, these groups are increasing the number of people who follow them.Some are concerned about the increase of Greeks who join these groups of Internet . I had never read the criticisms about the Republic, now I am reading criticisms every day , criticisms about the President of the Republic, about the Prime Minister, politicians, about political parties, about the Communist Party !!!!... Greek politicians are now a class in privileged social, including the Greek Communist Party , they are being criticized by people, I never before had seen it.

Last edited:
Is there any poll about the popularity of King Konstantinos Ii these days?
Republic meant disaster for Greece.
Which parts of Greece are more in favour of the King?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still possible for Constantine II and his family to be the undeposed royal family of Greece again? They would be happy to return to Greece but because of what happened in the past I am not so sure.

All things are possible, but highly unlikely I would think.

Is there any poll about the popularity of King Konstantinos Ii these days?

No polls, it is not possible, it would be possible if in Greece would has one monarchical newspaper, but the newspaper are of wealthy families and politicians (They never will criticize the Republic because they are beneficiaries). This issue is discussed way indirect, for example, some journalists speak of the increase of facebook groups calling for restoration of monarchy, you deduce that the popularity is increasing

Let's get realistic here. If by some very slim chance King Constantine was to return to Greece as a constitutional monarch he would have no influence whatsoever over the composition of a duly elected government's budget. Nor would he have any influence over the harsh monetary restrictions imposed on the Greek state by the financial powers of the EU.

To believe otherwise is fanciful.

it is true Greece has lost some sovereignty in favor of the European Union and International Monetary Fund ,but the difference between a state with monarchical form of government and Republic form is not limited to the Head of State, have other diferences, for example, the monarchical state have a more centralized management structure and also in the territory. In the monarchical states, the economy is based which the private sector is wider than public sector , monarchs play a role in attracting private investment, official visits are intended investment agreements between companies of the country and the country visited, the purpose is to attract private investment , and conversely, the attraction of investment in public enterprises .....In conclusion , Greece has lost power over the money that has been provided and compliance with the conditions of that loan, but Greece has capable of decision about its structure, it is not lost:ermm:

Last edited:
Are there any sign of a support for the monarchy from the people?

Let's get realistic here. If by some very slim chance King Constantine was to return to Greece as a constitutional monarch he would have no influence whatsoever over the composition of a duly elected government's budget. Nor would he have any influence over the harsh monetary restrictions imposed on the Greek state by the financial powers of the EU.

To believe otherwise is fanciful.

You are absolutely right.

A sign in a Republic. I read an article that said monarchies are more democratic than Republics, because the in the monarchies always the republicans are demanding the abolition of the monarchy and a republic is not allowed to monarchicals ask the suppression of the Republic. This is strange but true

The restoration of Monarchy would be very important for the international image of the country.

On Facebook greek royalists are very active.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any sign of a support for the monarchy from the people?

None, whatsoever. In Greece, there is perhaps a 10-12% of the population that harbors, through family tradition, monarchical values. This percentage is as high as that of the communist parties, cumulatively.
Thus, the likelihood of Greece's becoming a monarchy again is as high as that of developing into a communist regime, that is, negligible.

The two Greek Republics represent the worst periods of contemporary Greek history.

This is curious, this quantity coincides with the possibilities of that the persons(politicians) that are in power today and have ruined the country, they would leave politics

I suppose people understand now it was a big mistake to accept the republic in 1973-1974.

Cory said:
I suppose people understand now it was a big mistake to accept the republic in 1973-1974.

Not at all! The fact that most of the politicians the last 30 were thieves does not mean that we should not have a republic.
People in Greece have quite forgotten what was royalty, especially the younger do not have any idea!
Royalty in Greece was never really accepted. The proof that every 20 years they used to chasse the King!

Last edited:
I suppose all the Greek King were loved by the people even if the comunists'propaganda tried to destroy that popolarity.

Cory said:
I suppose all the Greek King were loved by the people even if the comunists'propaganda tried to destroy that popolarity.

It is more complicated. I thing they rejected the Kings because they did not feel them as really "greeks". They came from foreign countries and they were forbidden from marrying greek brides. People believed that they were serving foreign interest, especially german.Bad coincidence, two german Queens at the time of WWI & II, having Germany as ennemy...
The only princes who married greek women were prince Michail, who married Marina Karella and he gave up to his rights. King Alexander I wed Aspasia Manos, but marriage was only morganatic, without further rights to the thrne.
Nothing to do with communists, the problem existed before.
It is a pitty because King Kostantine II was the most "Greek", but the less lucky!
Interesting coincidence. From his 5 kids, the 3 already wed not Greeks! Last chance to have a droop of greek blood into the GRF are Pcs Theodora and Philippos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom