The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post

but saying that i cant see the need for Princess Alexia to be proclaimed Crown princess, surely it was taken for granted that she was , given that she was at that moment in time the only child of the King.

Cheers !
Legally, it wasn't that clear. The 1864 consitution and every one after that stated that the succession to the throne included " All the legal descendants of King George I , of eastern orthodox faith, with preference over the males" (that is my own traslation from greek). So , the wording isn't clear - does this mean that All males come before ALL females (semi salic ) or that this applies to each generation of descendants (male primogeniture)? Then , in the early years of Paul's reign, the government issued a statement that "clarified" the matter and said that the true meaning of the article refered to male primogeniture. The thing is, in Greece you can't just add an asterisk to an article of the consitution and say it's ok now - the proper way is to call for elections declaring that this would be a parliament authorized to revise the consitution, form a new government, create a new article regarding the succesion and then legalize it with the parliament's majority. This was nearly impossible in the 50s and 60s, with the post civil war atmosfere, because there was very little trust between political sectors - what if the succession was used as the Trojan Horse in order to form a parliament that would a revise also other constitutional articles? So everyone played stupid , thinking that " Oh well, the family with have a prince eventually and all be good".

Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

According to Wikipedia there is a prince Paul, born in 2019 as son of prince Philippos, in line of succession to the Greek throne.

Quote:
King Paul (1901–1964)
King Constantine II (born 1940)
(1) Crown Prince Pavlos (b. 1967)
(2) Prince Constantine-Alexios (b. 1998)
(3) Prince Achileas-Andreas (b. 2000)
(4) Prince Odysseus-Kimon (b. 2004)
(5) Prince Aristidis-Stavros (b. 2008)
(6) Princess Maria-Olympia (b. 1996)
(7) Prince Nikolaos (b. 1969)
(8) Prince Philippos (b. 1986)
(9) Prince Paul (b. 2019)
(10) Princess Theodora (b. 1983)
(11) Princess Irene (b. 1942)
See: wikipedia

This of course cannot be right as Philippos isn't married... and I am not aware of any son (who wouldn't be in line for the throne given that he isn't married).

Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
According to Wikipedia there is a prince Paul, born in 2019 as son of prince Philippos, in line of succession to the Greek throne.

See: wikipedia

This of course cannot be right as Philippos isn't married... and I am not aware of any son.
Yes its a mistake. The problem with Wikipedia as a source, anyone can edit it. And until someone spots a mistake and gets it corrected it remains. Philppos isn't married and has no children. If he did have a son out of wedlock, he certainly wouldn't be a prince or in line of succession.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes its a mistake. The problem with Wikipedia as a source, anyone can edit it. And until someone spots a mistake and gets it corrected it remains. Philppos isn't married and has no children. If he did have a son out of wedlock, he certainly wouldn't be a prince or in line of succession.
Of course, it's not true but I wonder where this whole idea is coming from: is it a prank? Did Nina give birth to a son (and does someone mistakenly think that son would be in line of succession?).

Note: I just checked it: someone made this erroneous edit on May 22.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Of course, it's not true but I wonder where this whole idea is coming from: is it a prank? Did Nina give birth to a son (and does someone mistakenly think that son would be in line of succession?).

Note: I just checked it: someone made this erroneous edit on May 22.
I can find no sign of even a rumor that Nina is pregnant or had a child. Nina is quite well known on her own, being the daughter of a famous Swiss billionaire. Certainly between the two of them, if they had a son, it would be well known or at least rumored.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Are Princess Alexia and her children in the line of succession?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Gentry

Yes, the Princess Alexia would be in position 9 of the line of succession to the throne. Starting from the last rule that existed in the Greek monarchical state. And her children: Carlos 10, 11 Arrietta, 12 Anne-Marie, 13 Amelia.

Princess Alexia was Crown Princess from 1964 to 20th may of 1967, when her brother was born
Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipe View Post
Yes, the Princess Alexia would be in position 9 of the line of succession to the throne. Starting from the last rule that existed in the Greek monarchical state. And her children: Carlos 10, 11 Arrietta, 12 Anne-Marie, 13 Amelia.

Princess Alexia was Crown Princess from 1964 to 20th may of 1967, when her brother was born
The reasoning for Alexia not being in the Wikipedia-list is that she supposedly converted to Roman Catholicism and is no longer Orthodox and neither are her children. Not sure whether that's true.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The reasoning for Alexia not being in the Wikipedia-list is that she supposedly converted to Roman Catholicism and is no longer Orthodox and neither are her children. Not sure whether that's true.
Yes I remember there being talk of her conversion to Catholicism some time ago but nothing was confirmed.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Courtier

This information is totally false, Princess Alexia is Orthodox Christian, she has not abandoned her religion, her husband, Carlos Morales, assumed the Orthodox religion, and renounced the Catholic religion, before getting married. All the children of Princess Alexia have been baptized by the Orthodox rite. They are all orthodox.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
This information is totally false, Princess Alexia is Orthodox Christian, she has not abandoned her religion, her husband, Carlos Morales, assumed the Orthodox religion, and renounced the Catholic religion, before getting married. All the children of Princess Alexia have been baptized by the Orthodox rite. They are all orthodox.
I guess Carlos and Amelia being baptized in a Catholic church might have created the impression that they were baptized into the Roman Catholic church.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 AM
Gentry

The children of Princess Alexia are Orthodox, they were baptized by the Metropolitan Polykarpos of Spain and Portugal and Exarch of the Mediterranean Sea, I even remember the photo of Polykarpos arriving at the church in Lanzarote. At Carlos's christening, Princess Alexia explained to the Spanish press that the ceremony was orthodox and explained what it consisted . It is true that it was celebrated in a Catholic temple, but by the Orthodox rite, it is allowed due to the existing agreements between the Vatican and the Orthodox Church.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:14 AM
Majesty

Does any Orthodox parish exist in Lanzarote? (I suppose the Morales family lives there).
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If Princess Alexia is still in the line of succession then she'd come after the Crown Prince,his children and her 2 brothers ?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The children of Princess Alexia are Orthodox, they were baptized by the Metropolitan Polykarpos of Spain and Portugal and Exarch of the Mediterranean Sea, I even remember the photo of Polykarpos arriving at the church in Lanzarote. At Carlos's christening, Princess Alexia explained to the Spanish press that the ceremony was orthodox and explained what it consisted . It is true that it was celebrated in a Catholic temple, but by the Orthodox rite, it is allowed due to the existing agreements between the Vatican and the Orthodox Church.

Yes, that is correct. The Vatican allows Orthodox rites to be celebrated in Catholic churches in areas where otherwise Orthodox churches are not available.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Gentry

Exactly, and in Lanzarote there are only Catholic temples. But I have found the photo of the Metropolitan arriving at the church, to celebrate the baptism of Carlos Morales

https://www.gettyimages.es/detail/fo...?adppopup=true
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exactly, and in Lanzarote there are only Catholic temples. But I have found the photo of the Metropolitan arriving at the church, to celebrate the baptism of Carlos Morales

https://www.gettyimages.es/detail/fo...?adppopup=true
Yes, I found that one as well - and Ana Maria was baptized in a Greek orthodox monastery so while it seems unlikely that they regularly attend an Orthodox mass, they seem to have been baptized Greek Orthodox.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Will Prince Constantine Alexios succeed Prince Pavlos as head of the Royal House of Greece?
Old 08-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Post #22 above lists the line of succession