The Miller Family 1: March 2003-July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Royal Highness
I read in an article that M-C's mum, Chantal, used to be quite the party girl and that she had quite a temper. According to a friend Chantal once hurled a glass of champagne at a guest. :blink: :unsure: When asked why they thought she had done that the friend replied that it was a bid to get Robert's attention. This friend also said that: "Bob has always been very careful about that marriage". Hmm, not always a fairytale for the king and queen of duty free?

quote from: The Father of the Bride

She also has a reputation as a volatile woman who once hurled a glass of champagne at a fellow guest. 'Chantal used to be pretty wild. I reckon much of it was to get Bob to pay attention. He worked so damn hard that he was unable to spend much time with her.

For the entire article, go to:The Father of the Bride

Hi Julia!

I can't say that I would put that past Mrs. Miller. I don't know her, but anyone who has met her says that she has a way about her. It does seem a bit uncivilized for her taste, but I met someone :ninja: who had been to an event in which Mrs. Miller was in attendance and I was told that she has an extremely daunting presence at times. :shock: :x

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Very interesting info, Jacqueline. I'm not so sure, now, I would want to be a guest of her's! I wonder how Queen Anne-Marie and Chantal get along?

Queen Anne-Marie seems like the polar opposite of Chantal Miller. Whenever I see pictures of Chantal Miller the words "ice princess" spring to mind. Whereas Queen Anne-Marie always seems to be smiling and ever so warm, friendly and approachable.

They probably get along for their children and grandchildren's sake. But then again, they probably don't see each other all that often.

Alexandria I agree. Queen Anne-Marie seems to be extremely pleasant and kind. I don't think that the two women see each other that often either. I have seen many instances in which the Millers spent some time with members of the Royal Family of Spain, but I see very little leisure time in which they spend time with King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. I have seen very few photos of the two women together. It also seems that they do not spend many holidays together either. MC and Pavlos seem to alternate holidays with their parents and extended family. That is probably a good idea. It just occurred to me that when thinking of all of the royals that MC and Pavlos are related to they all seem to be much warmer and more approachable than Mrs. Miller (and people say that the titled are cold and charm free :rolleyes: ). However, Mr. Miller does at least appear to be okay.

Hey Alexandria and Jacqueline. I must say that I agree with both of you. Queen Anne-Marie seems to be a very lovely and warm person. I think that she and King Constantine are a unique pair. They were a love match (anyone know whether Chantal and Bob Miller were?). They have been through a tremendous amount together (exiled from Greece and Queen Anne-Marie had 3 miscarriages, I believe...look in *Other Things Royal* in the book section. There is a geneaolgy for The Greek royal family and several miscarriages are noted). They appear to really love their children and grandchildren. I would imagine that life's trials and tribulations have made them more aware of life's realities. Less so than the Millers' existance (pretty surreal, although from what I've read Bob Miller is pretty down-to-earth). Ok, I am rambling. :blink:

MC's Family

Whenever I read something about Marie Chantal it always says "daugter of duty-free magnate.." What is it exactly that her dad does? Thanks!

He owned a series of duty-free shops, but according to some reports, he's sold them now.

What are duty free shops?

Reina said:
What are duty free shops?
Duty-free shops are generally located in airport terminals and offer international travellers good prices on items like high-end merchandise, liquor & cigarettes. Here's info from the company website:

A Brief History of DFS
spacer.gif
Duty free shopping was in its infancy when two American entrepreneurs, Charles Feeney and Robert Miller, created what is now DFS on November 7, 1960.

DFS started operations in Hong Kong and spread to Europe and other places around the globe. Securing the exclusive concession for duty free sales in Hawaii in the early 1960s created a business breakthrough for DFS, and the company was positioned to focus on the emerging Japanese traveler.

DFS continued to innovate, expanding into off-airport duty free stores and large downtown Galleria stores and grew to become the world’s largest travel retailer. In 1996, LVMH Möet Hennessy Louis Vuitton acquired the interests of Mr. Feeney and two other shareholders and today jointly owns DFS with Mr. Miller.

DFS continues to be the largest travel retailer in the world with its operating divisions clustered into two geographic groups. The U.S. Group is headquartered in Honolulu and includes Hawaii, Guam, Saipan, Palau, and the U.S. Mainland. The Asia Group is headquartered in Singapore with operations in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Korea, Okinawa, and New Caledonia

Last edited:
What is the marital status of MC's two sisters, Pia and Alexandra?

I understand that Alexandra is divorced from Alexandre Von Furstenberg and also remember reading somewhere that Pia split from Christopher Getty, then had a third child with an unknown man......

does anyone have any information?

Eliza

Alexandra is currently single and appears to be seeing Tim Jeffries again. Pia has four children, and I seem to recall that the fourth child was born shortly before the couple separated for a while. Pia & Christopher Getty reconciled (last year?) and have been photographed in public together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not aware that Pia and Christopher Getty were back togethere, thank you for the picture. So is Pia's last child his and does anyone know the name or whether it was a girl or boy?

Also does Alexandra have just the 2 children?

Many Thanks Nicole

Does anyone have some photos of Mrs. Robert Miller that they can post? I have seen a few while she is at MC's wedding or the christening of MC and Pavlos' children but are there others? Thanks for any help.

Emily said:
Does anyone have some photos of Mrs. Robert Miller that they can post? I have seen a few while she is at MC's wedding or the christening of MC and Pavlos' children but are there others? Thanks for any help.
Does Chantal Miller do anything of significance that might get her her picture taken separate from her husbabnd or her daughters?

Whenever I see pictures of her she is always at Robert's side (a self made man) or with her daughters (all of whom married well-off, famous men) at fashion shows and at various events for her children and grandchildren.

Does Chantal Miller even carry out any charitable causes?

I have never seen any photos or read or heard mention of Mrs. Miller doing any hands on charity work. I am sure that she and her husband have their favorite charities that they like to make donations to, but I don't recall mention of Mrs. Miller actually tackling any specific charity or business interest hands on. She is always presented as someone who keeps to herself and whose life is centered around her family and her home.

Some members of the GREMB have posted photos of the Miller sisters. I've decided to post them here. Thanks largely to "Moldy Tofu" from the GREMB.

I start with pictures of Alexandra (Miller) von Furstenberg.

Attachments

• alex2.jpg
    alex2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3,133
  • alex3.jpg
    alex3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,495
  • alex4.jpg
    alex4.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,380
  • alex5.jpg
    alex5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,498
  • alex6.jpg
    alex6.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,071
  • alex7.jpg
    alex7.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,053
  • alex8.jpg
    alex8.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,090
  • alex9.jpg
    alex9.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,123
  • alex10.jpg
    alex10.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,265
  • alex.jpg
    alex.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,436
More of Alexandra "Miller"

Attachments

• alex12.jpg
    alex12.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,285
  • alex18.jpg
    alex18.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 645
  • alex17.jpg
    alex17.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • alex16.jpg
    alex16.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,115
  • alex15.jpg
    alex15.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 716
  • alex14.jpg
    alex14.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 653
  • alex13.jpg
    alex13.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,654
  • alex11.jpg
    alex11.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3,224
Some photos of Pia Miller

Attachments

• pia10.jpg
    pia10.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,914
  • pia9.jpg
    pia9.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,106
  • pia8.jpg
    pia8.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,974
  • pia7.jpg
    pia7.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,961
  • pia6.jpg
    pia6.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2,944
  • pia4.jpg
    pia4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,646
  • pia3.jpg
    pia3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 496
  • pia2.jpg
    pia2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,869
  • pia.jpg
    pia.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 678
  • pia5.jpg
    pia5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,846
More photos of Pia Miller

Attachments

• pia16.jpg
    pia16.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 555
  • pia18.jpg
    pia18.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 620
  • pia17.jpg
    pia17.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 717
  • pia15.jpg
    pia15.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 609
  • pia14.jpg
    pia14.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 542
  • pia13.jpg
    pia13.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 502
  • pia12.jpg
    pia12.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,406
  • pia11.jpg
    pia11.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,907
Finally, pictures of the 'Fabulous Miller Sisters'

Attachments

• mcalexpav.jpg
    mcalexpav.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 558
  • mcpiamom.jpg
    mcpiamom.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,754
  • mcpiaal.jpg
    mcpiaal.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 11,061
  • mcpia2.jpg
    mcpia2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,307
  • mcpia.jpg
    mcpia.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,928
  • mcpaval.jpg
    mcpaval.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3,224
  • mcalmom.jpg
    mcalmom.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4,286
  • mcalexval.jpg
    mcalexval.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 6,086
  • mcalexpa.jpg
    mcalexpa.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 684
  • mcal.jpg
    mcal.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,330
More of the Miller sisters

Attachments

• mil.jpg
    mil.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3,730
  • mil3.jpg
    mil3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 2,795
  • mil2.jpg
    mil2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,783
  • mil4.jpg
    mil4.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,932
  • mil5.jpg
    mil5.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,924
  • mil6.jpg
    mil6.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,034
  • mil7.jpg
    mil7.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,497
  • mil8.jpg
    mil8.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 8,314
Emily said:

Here's a picture of MC with her parents at the time of her engagement.:)
fam_father_mother1.jpg

Isabel said:
I have never seen any photos or read or heard mention of Mrs. Miller doing any hands on charity work. I am sure that she and her husband have their favorite charities that they like to make donations to, but I don't recall mention of Mrs. Miller actually tackling any specific charity or business interest hands on. She is always presented as someone who keeps to herself and whose life is centered around her family and her home.

How true! It's very difficult to find information about Robert & Chantal Miller. I saw Mrs. Miller's name listed on a 2003 March of Dimes annual report (was Tassilo a preemie?). Here's another small mention I found on the internet:

Robert W. Miller, aged 69, is a Presidential Councillor and Trustee Emeritus of Cornell University, his alma mater.

Mr Miller is a Trustee of The Asia Society, an organisation dedicated to forge links and understanding between The United States of America and Asian countries through cultural programs. Mr and Mrs Miller have been Co-Chairmen of the Asia Society's annual International Asian Art Fair since 1997. In Hong Kong, Mr Miller is a major donor of the Community Chest, a Goodwill Ambassador of the Hong Kong Tourist Association, and a member of the Hong Kong Arts Centre, Conservatory of Music Boards, and Hong Kong Museum of Art.

Thanks for all these pictures Lyonnaise.

Looking at some of these pictures, Alexandra (Miller) von Furstenburg has made some pretty scary fashion statements.

I think of her siblings Marie-Chantal is by far the prettiest. She has a more classical style than her sisters that I personally much prefer.

You're welcome :) I agree that when left to their own devices, the sisters (especially Alexandra), sometimes go overboard with their outfits.

Totally agree! Alex looks quite strange in some of those pictures!
MC has a lovely style about her.
Thanks for the pictures!
PS: Alex needs some MEAT on her bones... she's far too skinny. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom