How did the Royal Jewels get out of Greece when the King left in 1967?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can imagine given how low-key Princess Irene is that she could still have her tiara and simply choose not to wear it very often anymore.

That is also my thougt. Unlike her brother and his Family she does not attend the big Events in Denmark where tiaras are worn. So probably she has not the occasions to wear it.

Last edited:
She would be more likely IMO to wear a tiara in Spain and the RF there very rarely wear tiaras. I doubt, given how close she is to her sister with all the resources that brings that she would need cash that much to sell a family heirloom.

She would be more likely IMO to wear a tiara in Spain and the RF there very rarely wear tiaras. I doubt, given how close she is to her sister with all the resources that brings that she would need cash that much to sell a family heirloom.

That's what i mean. She usually attends more Family Events in Spain but they are no tiara occasion's so no Events for Irene to wear a tiara.

The Diamond Circles Tiara could turn up yet,Princess Irene might pass it onto Sofia/Leonor.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. The GRF has no "Crown Jewels". All jewels belong to the family and came as dowry with every bride since Grand Duchess then Queen Olga.
It was their property and they had every right to remove it upon their departure in December 1967.

As a side "argument" let's not forget that after the Monarchy was abolished by the Junta and they declared a Democracy, they installed their first president who prompty moved into the Herodus Atticus Palace and changed the decor to fit the personality of the new "first lady".
The Junta was in no mood to return anything to the GRF in 1968 or till they were thrown out and the new crop came in...

The Crown regalia are still here in Greece in the old parliament museum

Ι fully agree with you. And we should not forget that in the beginning of their exile the GRF was supposed to go back in Greece. Only later (I do not remember when) the Junta organized a "Referendum" which ended to the abolition of Monarchy since 1 june 1973.
So i do not believe that upon his arrival in Rome end 1967 he started asking for the jewels, and that the Junta acted soooo quickly that they already received them early 1968.

The junta abolished the Monarchy in Greece at 1973 but HM King Constantine was the head of Greece until 1974 .Then when the new elected prime Minister Karamanlis organized the referendum in which the Monarchy abolished with 68% against .

On the Alexander Palace forum this subject came up a few years ago. A poster there suggested that as officials in the Danish Embassy had got Queen Olga of Greece's jewellery out of Russia during the revolution, the Greek RF might have had an plan for their valuables formulated with the same Embassy as the situation deteriorated for them in Greece. It's an idea anyway, as there are such strong links between the royal families of the two countries.

Queen Olgas jewelles from Denmark went to a safe in The bank of Greece and afterwards when the royal lady's needed jewels took from the safe and put in them again etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder are there any jewels that were left behind in a vault?

That is also my thougt. Unlike her brother and his Family she does not attend the big Events in Denmark where tiaras are worn. So probably she has not the occasions to wear it.
When she was guest at the 1st wedding of Prcss. Alexandra of Berleburg in 1998 in Denmark and everyone in possession of a tiara wore one, she and her sister Sophia were the only ones who didn`t....

Did the Greek Royal Family take all the jewelry or leave some in Greece?
Have the King and Queen sold any jewels since they were in exile?

Did the Greek Royal Family take all the jewelry or leave some in Greece?
Have the King and Queen sold any jewels since they were in exile?
I believe they took all the major jewels. Furthermore they left behind the "minor" ones, as couldn't take everything. Pieces from silver with only slight historical value. There were stories about the daughter of Pattakos (one of the 3 dictators) wearing a byzantine type silver parure, ofc coming not from her personal fortune....

There are rumors about one tiara coming from Hannover which has never be seen again for the last 60 years, so some pieces might have been solved. The King has always kept his mouth closed for how the family managed to survive in exile. He just said that he left with a very small amount in his pocket and in the beginning he borrowed money from Juan Karlos. Out of this he has never explained anything. Around 1900-1995 he received money from the Greek government for his stolen properties.
Furthermore there is a 20 years black hole. So they might have soled some jewels.

The first tiara doesn't look like the Diamond Circles Tiara?

It is the convertible diamond and pearl necklace/tiara which was worn by Princess Irene in the 1960's but hasn't been seen since about 50 years. Wonder if she still owns it or if it was sold

It is the convertible diamond and pearl necklace/tiara which was worn by Princess Irene in the 1960's but hasn't been seen since about 50 years. Wonder if she still owns it or if it was sold

It may still turn up as with the Queen Sophie’s Diamond Tiara!
It could be in a vault at Zarzuela.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was Princess Irene's tiara. It is quite possible that it is still in the possession of the family.

I hope that the convertible pearl necklace/tiara really is still in Princess Irene's possession. But afaik, it hasn't been seen seen the family went to exile. In contrast, the big diamond tiara was worn by Queen Fredrica a couple of times in Spain, and also the pearl circle tiara was worn a couple of times. So I'm a bit pessimistic about the necklace/tiara, I fear it has been lost or sold a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom