Greek Royals at the Athens Olympics 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanne_tc

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows what plans the GRF have for the olympics. Will they attend the games? will they throw parties or have VIP seats in Athens? or will they stay in London?

I don't recall where I read it (it may have been here), but someone reported that the entire family will be there for the Olympics.

I'd be shocked if they didn't go; they went to Australia, so why not go to their own home country?

I think it's been reported that, since Constantine is an official member of the IOC, that he *will* attend. I would imagine the rest would attend as private citizens, except for maybe Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, who's probably getting too close to her due date for long-distance air travel. (That's just a guess on my part, BTW.) Hopefully, we'll get to see some nice shots of at least some of the GRF in Athens during the Games. ;)

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the Greek Gov was going to stop them from attending the games. I'm curious to see how the Greek public will react to them and also if they will have VIP seating.

Well technically, the Greek government doesn't possess the authority to bar them from attending as private citizens. Too, Constantine is a member of the IOC and as such would definitely be there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eschewed VIP seating, though. It might not look good if they expected special privileges.

According to a Greek poster on another forum, the family is already in Greece, but the problems over their VISAs have not abated. Apparently the Greek government is attempting to force the issue of a surname, but Constantine has not given in to that.

It's at Cherub's Cafe if anyone wants to read it.

Greece's former King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie walk in the garden of the Presidential Palace in Athens, Friday Aug. 13, 2004, during a reception given by Greek President Costis Stephanopoulos for guests attending the Olympic Games. Constantine, an IOC member, and a gold medallist in sailing in the 1960 Games in Rome, visited the palace, his former home, for the first time since December 1967.

Former Greek king Constantine (L), an honorary member of the international Olympic committee, and his wife Anna Maria attend an Olympic flame-lighting ceremony in front of the Acropolis in Athens, 12 August 2004, on the eve of the summer games opening ceremony.

51163360.jpg

51163377.jpg

I´m glad to see them in Greece!!! :) :) :) By the way, I read somewhere that nowadays 37 % of the Greeks declare themselves monarchists. Maybe the monarchist percentage is quite low in Athens and major cities, but that means it´s very high in rural areas.

I think they left Greece in 1969.Konstanin became King after his father´s death in 1962.

Has anybody a pic of Konstantin´s children attending an olympic event?(Alexia,Pavlos,Theodora..)

They left after the 1967 military coup. The junta in power passed a referendum through the people in 1974 which abolished the monarchy, but its legality is highly debatable.

today i saw theodora and philipos there too... teodora was gorgeous, but not as glittering as in spain... :)

No, the Junta did not pass a referendum: it just abolished monarchy. In 1974 the Junta left power after half of the island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey. After the Junta had left power, a referendum took place. I believe 35 % of the Greeks voted in favour of the re-establishment of monarchy. The rest voted for republic. Technically the results of the referendum were fair. Nevertheless, King Constantinos was not allowed to go to Greece during the referendum campaign in order to get support for the monarchy. Apparently, Prime Minister Karamanlis, who organized the referendum, had promised the King that he would call him to Greece for campaigning. But he did not. The Greek royal family was very upset with Karamanlis because of that. For that reason, years later, when Karamanlis, then new President of the Greek Republic, visited Spain, Queen Sofía took her revenge: for the state dinner at the Madrid Royal Palace she wore not only her best tiara, but the Greek Royal Order band accross her chest (she has only wore that band once in Spain: in that dinner ;))

I didn't state that the junta passed the referendum on its own; I stated that they did so through the populace.

Your explanation seems to vary from others that I've heard, though all agree that the so-called vote by the people was not exactly democratic

...getting back on topic.. from the GRMB (thanks to lilydale), some pictures of the Royal family in Athens.

The former Greek royal family have come to Greece to attend the Olympic Games. During their stay in Athens, they also attended a cultural event in the Ancient theatre of Herodus Atticus. 2004 OLYMPIC GAMES, ATHENS, GREECE - AUG 2004 OLYMPICS 480438/POA

1. Princess Alexia with her husband Carlos Morales
2. Princess Alexia (C) with her husband Carlos Morales and Princess Theodora
3. Princess Theodora and Prince Phillipos

ETA copyright source www.rexfeatures.com / www.ibl.se /Mandy

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,080
  • ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,123
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,200
Last edited by a moderator:
Lyonnaise said:
...getting back on topic.. from the GRMB (thanks to lilydale), some pictures of the Royal family in Athens.

The former Greek royal family have come to Greece to attend the Olympic Games. During their stay in Athens, they also attended a cultural event in the Ancient theatre of Herodus Atticus. 2004 OLYMPIC GAMES, ATHENS, GREECE - AUG 2004 OLYMPICS 480438/POA

1. Princess Alexia with her husband Carlos Morales
2. Princess Alexia (C) with her husband Carlos Morales and Princess Theodora
3. Princess Theodora and Prince Phillipos

Thanks for the pictures Lyonnaise. :) I hardly recognized Theodora and was certain that IBL had the captions wrong. Theodora looks so blonde, tan and slim. In fact, everyone in these pictures looks so tan and "summery." Amazing how different (though still great!) she looks since only the Danish and Spanish weddings in May.

Alexandria said:
Thanks for the pictures Lyonnaise. :) I hardly recognized Theodora and was certain that IBL had the captions wrong. Theodora looks so blonde, tan and slim. In fact, everyone in these pictures looks so tan and "summery." Amazing how different (though still great!) she looks since only the Danish and Spanish weddings in May.
Is that really Theodora? She looks so svelte! She truly has changed.

Prince Phillipos looks very nice and handsome in that photo. I love his hair.

ennyllorac said:
Is that really Theodora? She looks so svelte! She truly has changed.

I thought so too. First of all I thought I was seeing on of her German cousins..:)
It seems like she lost some weight and yes, her brother is quite handsome.

Last edited:
ReinaMissy said:
I didn't state that the junta passed the referendum on its own; I stated that they did so through the populace.

Your explanation seems to vary from others that I've heard, though all agree that the so-called vote by the people was not exactly democratic
That´s what I read. Maybe the referendum was not democratic enough because the King wasn´t allowed to go to Greece for the campaign. But the fairness of the vote itself was never contested. Queen Sofía didn´t question it either in the book "La Reina", by Pilar Urbano. I recommend it. It´s a book written by a journalist who interviewed Queen Sofía during several weeks. The Queen speaks and gives her opinion about lots of things, including her family. In the book the Queen herself refers to her "vengence" against Greek President Karamanlis during his state visit to Spain. The book was written originally in Spanish and I believe it has been translated into several languages (including Greek). It contains several photographs of the Queen taken by the King and never shown before (you can read on them "copyright Juan Carlos de Borbón"). There is also a charming picture of the then Greek Princess Sophia dancing at school when she was a teenager.

Conde Valleverde said:
No, the Junta did not pass a referendum: it just abolished monarchy. In 1974 the Junta left power after half of the island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey. After the Junta had left power, a referendum took place. I believe 35 % of the Greeks voted in favour of the re-establishment of monarchy. The rest voted for republic. Technically the results of the referendum were fair. Nevertheless, King Constantinos was not allowed to go to Greece during the referendum campaign in order to get support for the monarchy. Apparently, Prime Minister Karamanlis, who organized the referendum, had promised the King that he would call him to Greece for campaigning. But he did not. The Greek royal family was very upset with Karamanlis because of that. For that reason, years later, when Karamanlis, then new President of the Greek Republic, visited Spain, Queen Sofía took her revenge: for the state dinner at the Madrid Royal Palace she wore not only her best tiara, but the Greek Royal Order band accross her chest (she has only wore that band once in Spain: in that dinner ;))
Thanks for replying to my question everyone ^__^ very much appreciated ^__^

GO QUEEN SOFIA ^____^ hahahaha

Conde Valleverde said:
I´m glad to see them in Greece!!! :) :) :) By the way, I read somewhere that nowadays 37 % of the Greeks declare themselves monarchists. Maybe the monarchist percentage is quite low in Athens and major cities, but that means it´s very high in rural areas.

You've red right!!!!

Conde Valleverde said:

While it might be higher in rural areas, I would hardly say that 37% is very high -- it is just higher. Not even 50% of Greeks want their royal family back.

Conde Valleverde said:

Oh how I would love to see a photo of that..... :) Anyone know where we can see one?

Please do post the link or the photo.... :) :) :)

Thanks for the photos of Theodora and Phillippos, they both look wonderful. Phillippos is becoming a good looking young man. Alexia and Carlos look wonderful as well.

Is that Phillippos in the from of the boat doing some kind of stretching? It does look like Anne Marie, but, I am not sure either. Who is the young man to the left of the boat with what looks to be a video camera?

I think you're right.
Is Theodore the one in yellow and white? Nikolaos is behind Phillippos? I don't know who the other two are? Can someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom