Greek Royal Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

at the London home of King Constantine of Greece

ETA: Source topfoto/Mandy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 7,029
Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be as big as their palace, but it's still a beautiful home. The children must have loved growing up here.

does Nick live there, I heard it somewhere but can´t remember where

are there any ore pictures of the house out there

Royal Homes and Palaces

I have come across some information regarding the Palace of Tatoi and wounderd if anyone out there new if this was correct or had changed since the following webpage was published in 2001.

http://www.fbarnard.org.uk/greek01/greece01.htm

According to the above webpage, Tatoi is not only closed to the public, but hard to find, railed off and guarded by police and a gaurd dog. I was woundering if this is still the case as I was under the impression from the recent Court Case over it between Constantine and the Greek Government, that Tatoi was being held for the benefit of the Greek people and was therefore open to the public. It seems rather bizzar that the Government paid Constantine all that money as oposed to giving it back to him, only to let it rot.

Thank you Splodger, for the link. The article was very interesting and the pictures, too. Earlier I had seen pictures of Tatoi only from south. It has always been my great wish to see Tatoi Palace myself.

Hi, does anyone have some information about the Royal residence or town of Psychiko. I read in the biography of Queen Sophie of Spain (born Princess of Greece) that she was born in Psychiko, but I couldn't find anything about this place. So if you can help me to find some information, thanks.....

Regards....

Hello, Phychiko is an area in Athens. Many years back most rich people lived there.At the moment it is still a good area but not what it used to be.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00021386.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00021386.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,564
  • pre-SEEGER00002284.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00002284.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,645
Royal burial ground Tatoi

I am looking for an internet site (with no success) that I can find pictures of the
royal graves at Tatoi. Any help would be most appreicated.

Last edited:
This looks like a fairly normal house.
It must have been very cozy :)

As far as I know,the estate remains in the same condition as on the pictures.The government hasn't announced any plans for what is planning to do yet.(Not to my knowledge anyway).

Well i gues a museum dedicated to Royal Greece would be okay...

I think it is prohibided for people to enter the place....I remember though that some intruders broke the Crosses of The Royal graves, some years ago and nobody was arrested!!!(I was cursing for days)...

...My oppinion is that police cannot even guard their own posts-few days ago some bandids broke a police station in Athens and burned their cars,so,I doubt if the Tatoi Estate is properly guarded!!!It's a BIG and beautiful place,so a battalion of men with forrest motorbikes won't be enough, and i don't think that police can despose so many men!!!Greek police is also badly... payed...so i can hardly say anything ,besides I don't live in Athens!!

I can only wonder ,if the Greek state has confiscated such a big place wich is also part of the GREEK PEOPLE'S CULTURAL INHERITANCE,and keeps it unguarded,unrestored,why they have confiscated it for???

Splodger said:
Well i gues a museum dedicated to Royal Greece would be okay...

Why???They better be honest and give it back to It's Owners!No need for police then,and the whole territory arround TATOI estate will increase it's value,because our Royals will be living there !! :eek:

cuervo said:
Why???They better be honest and give it back to It's Owners!No need for police then,and the whole territory arround TATOI estate will increase it's value,because our Royals will be living there !! :eek:

I personaly would like to see it given back to the GRF but would settle for second best as a museum of the GRF in meantime... just so long as they stop it falling apart like it is now - so sad

The Oldenburgs shouldn't take back ownership of the palace. It's the property of the Greek government and should be utilized as a museum commemorating and documenting Greece's past.

grecka said:
The Oldenburgs shouldn't take back ownership of the palace. It's the property of the Greek government and should be utilized as a museum commemorating and documenting Greece's past.

How do you like the idea, of turning your house into a museum of local natural history and place yourself onto a chair, under the script writting MAMAL???!! :p

Last edited:
Splodger said:
I personaly would like to see it given back to the GRF but would settle for second best as a museum of the GRF in meantime... just so long as they stop it falling apart like it is now - so sad
I agree. It's terrible to let a historic building turn to rubble like that. Do something to keep it around for the next generation.:(

grecka said:

They are not Oldenburgs. They come from the family of Glücksborg

Betina

I'm sorry, I forgot the Oldenburgs died out centuries ago. I meant the Danish Royal Family.

Last edited:
The Greek Royal Family are Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg, an offshoot of the Danish Royal House, which is itself an offshoot of the Oldenburg dynasty.

betina said:
They are not Oldenburgs. They come from the family of Glücksborg

Betina

According to the almanch de gotha they are oldenburgs.:)

Oldenburg was the root family from which the Glucksburg's came from. Oldenburg is probably closest to the family name as Glucksburg is a territorial name attached to that branch of the Oldenburg family. It is similar to the Houses of York and Lancaster in English history. They were all Plantagenets (sp) but were known as York and Lancaster to distinguish the two branches of the family.

Splodger said:

I think that technically the homes and all of the GRF's property in Greece now belong to the government. Since the settlement (albeit small) made by the government to the GRF for the properties, I believe that the properties now belong to the government.

King Constantine wanted for the Greek government to either return the privately owned properties to him and his family or make some sort of financial restitution. I thought that was fair since one of the family's estates had already been turned into a museum and the government was profiting from it. Constantine filed suit in the international courts. The Greek government did pay the family, but nothing near what they asked for or what the properties were actually worth. Therefore, at this point the state can unfortunately do whatever they want with the properties, even nothing if they choose.

Still, it is a pity to have such beautiful historic places simply crumbling away.

Isabel said:
I think that technically the homes and all of the GRF's property in Greece now belong to the government. Since the settlement (albeit small) made by the government to the GRF for the properties, I believe that the properties now belong to the government.

King Constantine wanted for the Greek government to either return the privately owned properties to him and his family or make some sort of financial restitution. I thought that was fair since one of the family's estates had already been turned into a museum and the government was profiting from it. Constantine filed suit in the international courts. The Greek government did pay the family, but nothing near what they asked for or what the properties were actually worth. Therefore, at this point the state can unfortunately do whatever they want with the properties, even nothing if they choose.

Still, it is a pity to have such beautiful historic places simply crumbling away.

Even if they do own them. It isn't right to let them go to waste. I don't like how the greek gov't has treated the former royal family. However, now that are ruining the greek peoples history at least in the sence of landmarks. We were too late to all the others so now they are going to just allow these to fall to ruin, and as far as I can see the only reason is out of spite for the present royal family esp the king. good reason.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom