Greek Royal Orders

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could it be some kind of coronation medal? I looked at a webpage devoted to Greek royal orders but could not find anything listed there which is remotely similar to the portrait of the man.

It looks like a portrait of King Georgios I. Maybe it was reserved for the Consorts. Perhaps Queen Sofía didn't wore it or only in some special occasions.

I love the Greek royal sash only it's strange I haven't seen them wearing it only the crown prince and princess, has it not been bestowed by the king to his other children?

I too believe the picture your referring to is a picture of HM King George I. In the Book "Pavlos: No Ordinary King (page 28) there is a Picture of HM Queen Olga who recently widowed is sitting surrounded by her children (HM King Constantine, and TRH Princes George, Nicholas, Andrew, Christopher, and HRH Princess Marie nee HIH Grand Duchess Maria Georgievna) and in the pic there is an (or what looks like an open faced Locket ) with the picture of King George I in/on it hanging from a Necklace.
You can Google Widowed Queen Olga and see the images of her wearing the necklace.

there are also several on the web that show it clearly. I blew up the pic of HM Queen Frederica and still wasn't able to see it clearly.

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/rcf1208/media/QueenOlgaofGreece1920_zpsggipoopc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/rc...lga_of_Greece_zpsnr11vxey.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

There are two

Last edited:
In the back of Queen Frederica's Book a Measure of Understanding there is a Clear picture of her wearing a Minature of Palo but she is also in Deep mourning. Maybe is a Greek Mourning thing.. ?

I love the Greek royal sash only it's strange I haven't seen them wearing it only the crown prince and princess, has it not been bestowed by the king to his other children?

There isn't a Greek Royal Sash, it's the Sash of the Grand Cross of an Order, the Greek Royal Family have 6 Royal Orders, the most Senior being the Royal Order of the Redeemer, the Royal Order of Saints George and Constantine and the Royal Order of Saints Olga and Sophia (both equal orders, one for men and the other for women), the Royal Order of George I, the Royal Order of the Phoenix, the Royal Order of Beneficence (only for women) and finally the Royal Decoration of the Greek Royal House

All children of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie are Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Redeemer and also Knights of the Decoration of the Greek Royal House, the daughters are also Dames Grand Cross in Special Class of the Royal Order of Saints Olga and Sophia as well as Dame Commanders of the Royal Order of Beneficence and the sons are Knights Grand Cross of the Order of Saints George and Constantine, of which only the Crown Prince has the Collar

The daughters in-law of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie are both Dames Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Saints Olga and Sophia, Crown Princess Marie Chantal in Special Class and Princess Tatiana in 1st Class

The son in-law of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie is a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Saints George and Constantine

Crown Princess Marie Chantal will most probably become Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Redeemer when her husband succeeds his father of head of the Greek Royal Family, she will also be Grand Master of the Royal Order of the Redeemer whilst her husband is Sovereign and she will also be Grand Mistress Dame of the Royal Order of Saints Olga and Sophia and Grand Mistress Dame of the Royal Order of Beneficence

Last edited:
In Sweden Princes also got oders at their baptisma. There is the famous 4 generation photo of Carl Gustaf's baptism and you can see that the wears the sash of the Order of the Seraphim.

In Sweden, Both Princesses and Princes are made Knights/Member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim by birth and wear their mini Grand Cross on their Christening

Just a question here....why would anyone now get a Greek Royal Order? There is no longer a monarchy in Greece. That would be nothing but an empty title with no meaning behind it. I don't get this giving something without a meaning a meaning or use behind it. The family's titles will die out eventually as how can you pass down a title with nothing behind it? Sure they can be invited to other royal events by other standing royal families as a courtesy or being related somehow yet if there is nothing to back up a title or order what is the use of having it.

IMHO there should be something to stand behind that title or order, not an empty shell of nothingness. Honorable service to what if given, how does one serve a country that does not want you there and hasn't let you be there in decades now?

Just a question here....why would anyone now get a Greek Royal Order? There is no longer a monarchy in Greece. That would be nothing but an empty title with no meaning behind it. I don't get this giving something without a meaning a meaning or use behind it. The family's titles will die out eventually as how can you pass down a title with nothing behind it? Sure they can be invited to other royal events by other standing royal families as a courtesy or being related somehow yet if there is nothing to back up a title or order what is the use of having it.

IMHO there should be something to stand behind that title or order, not an empty shell of nothingness. Honorable service to what if given, how does one serve a country that does not want you there and hasn't let you be there in decades now?

Only the family of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie are given orders, their Dynastic Order handouts aren't as wide as the Two Sicilian or the Russian Families.

Greece may not be a monarchy but it still has a Royal Family, and the members of the Royal Family will retain their titles, in a sense it does mean that they are still holding their rights to the throne of Greece. But yes, I agree in Greece people don't want the monarchy back and I don't think the Greek Royal Family are in touch with the Greek people either

:previous:
IMHO the crown prince couple seem like rich playboys having fun with life on the dark blue seas of the Mediterranean. MC goes from one fashion show to another, as does her daughter showing off all the money MC's father gives them yet nobody seems to take any interest in the issues of Greece. Both the king and queen are elderly now and he can't really travel much from what I have seen here. If I was Greek I sure in the heck would not want them to represent me in the world and that is me only here, nobody else, Just my opinion. They seem like very empty people to me........all the jewels, money and titles do not make a person a royal person!?

IMHO the crown prince couple seem like rich playboys having fun with life on the dark blue seas of the Mediterranean. MC goes from one fashion show to another, as does her daughter showing off all the money MC's father gives them yet nobody seems to take any interest in the issues of Greece. Both the king and queen are elderly now and he can't really travel much from what I have seen here. If I was Greek I sure in the heck would not want them to represent me in the world and that is me only here, nobody else, Just my opinion. They seem like very empty people to me........all the jewels, money and titles do not make a person a royal person!?

Yes that is really true, they act more like celebrities than Royals, it doesn't really help the monarchist cause because they're really out of touch with the Greek people, I believe after the passing of King Constantine II, the popularity of the Greek Royal Family will further decrease because of their lifestyle.

I also believe Princess Alexia should have stayed as heir to the Greek throne because she's quite humble in comparison to her other siblings but unfortunately due to male preference that's not the case :(

Thank you so much for all your info here as I learned a lot from you. ?

In my opinion prince Nicholas and princess Tatiana are the ones in their generation carrying the flame and promoting Greece. Alexia and her family live a quiet life on Lanzarote, princess Theodora embraced Hollywood, and seems to live a pretty normal life for a high society figure with a good education and good connections. It's mainly the crown prince family that seems extravagant (thanks to the money Marie-Chantal('s family) brings in).

However, that's rather off-topic as it doesn't pertain to the Greek orders...

Did princess Olympia and prince Konstantinos receive their orders (on their 18th birthday for example)?

In my opinion prince Nicholas and princess Tatiana are the ones in their generation carrying the flame and promoting Greece. Alexia and her family live a quiet life on Lanzarote, princess Theodora embraced Hollywood, and seems to live a pretty normal life for a high society figure with a good education and good connections. It's mainly the crown prince family that seems extravagant (thanks to the money Marie-Chantal('s family) brings in).

However, that's rather off-topic as it doesn't pertain to the Greek orders...

Did princess Olympia and prince Konstantinos receive their orders (on their 18th birthday for example)?

No they haven't received any orders, but they don't really have any ceremonies to attend to be wearing them at, possibly when there older and they attend a foreign royal ceremony

If the main mission of a king is to attract investment to the country, I believe that Paul would be a good king of Greece, he has an impressive business agenda, possibly better than many European kings. It would be perfect to attract investment to any state. Regarding his life. I see that many people who follow European monarchies, the only thing that interests them is that brand dress, they are those jewels worn by their queen, where she is on vacation, in what luxurious restaurant she eats, how luxurious her palace .. For this reason, I do not believe that the life of the Crown Prince is debatable,.

Regarding Greece. since 1974 laws have been drawn up in Greece exclusively for the extermination of the Royal House, from a law to remove the passport, laws to remove the statues of kings, even to change the streets of name .... in the history books, the history the kings does not appear, so for example, in the conquest of Thessalonica, .... History in Greece is distorted and depressed. in the Greek ministries hangs the pictures of communist guerrilla leaders ....

Prince Paul could invent a character, behave like a ruling prince, and share the photos:
He could publish the photos delivering the titles to the students of Prince Charles's foundation, posing at home sitting on a chair in the form of a throne, strolling with the pictures of the Greek kings, he could even put pictures of Greek anarchist demonstrations and say which are manifestations against the system, soon there will be monarchy ...
But the prince does not have as much free time to do it.

Last edited:
If the main mission of a king is to attract investment to the country, I believe that Paul would be a good king of Greece, he has an impressive business agenda, possibly better than many European kings. It would be perfect to attract investment to any state. Regarding his life. I see that many people who follow European monarchies, the only thing that interests them is that brand dress, they are those jewels worn by their queen, where she is on vacation, in what luxurious restaurant she eats, how luxurious her palace .. For this reason, I do not believe that the life of the Crown Prince is debatable,.

Regarding Greece. since 1974 laws have been drawn up in Greece exclusively for the extermination of the Royal House, from a law to remove the passport, laws to remove the statues of kings, even to change the streets of name .... in the history books, the history the kings does not appear, so for example, in the conquest of Thessalonica, .... History in Greece is distorted and depressed. in the Greek ministries hangs the pictures of communist guerrilla leaders ....

Prince Paul could invent a character, behave like a ruling prince, and share the photos:
He could publish the photos delivering the titles to the students of Prince Charles's foundation, posing at home sitting on a chair in the form of a throne, strolling with the pictures of the Greek kings, he could even put pictures of Greek anarchist demonstrations and say which are manifestations against the system, soon there will be monarchy ...
But the prince does not have as much free time to do it.

It all depends of the economy and stability of the country, Greece does not want a royal family who lead a lavish lifestyle whilst the others struggle to make ends meet. As for Queen Anne-Marie, her private life is not publicised so as much as many royalists and others would want to see how she lives, the best way is the privacy because it doesn't offend either parties... and as for palaces, the Queen nor the Crown Princess own any palaces.

If he'd create this character what would be the point if he's genuinely not interested in the interests of the Greek people, your description of the character of the Crown Prince is delusional, there's no point in putting up a front when people will be able to see straight through him.. he needs to be in touch with his people and see how life is for them, until he doesn't do so, the majority of Greeks won't accept him. But believe me, if they have plenty of time to be holidaying, they have lots of time on their hands

Princess Maria-Olympia of Greece wore the order of Order of Saints Olga and Sophia and her younger brother but what order did Prince Constantine-Alexios wear and does anyone know when both orders were conferred?

Why Princess Alexia wears the Order of the Redeemer instead of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia (like her sister & sisters-in-law)?

Why Princess Alexia wears the Order of the Redeemer instead of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia (like her sister & sisters-in-law)?

The Order of the Redeemer is the highest order. Alexia was born while her father was still king and most likely got it at birth - her brothers Pavlos and Nikolaos also were awarded the Grand Cross of this order; as was their mother. However, the Order of the Redeemer is now awarded by the Republic of Greece while the Order of the Saints Olga and Sophia (as well as the Order of the Saints George and Constantine for men) is now a dynastic order.

So, I assume that when Theodora and Philippos were born, that order was no longer available to Konstantinos, so he gave them the highest order to his disposable: the order of the Sts Olga and Sophia to Theodora and of Sts George and Constantine to Philippos. And the applicable order to his children-in-law upon marriage.

Edit: It looks like I was mistaken. Apparently, both prince Philippos and prince Constantine-Alexios received the Order of the Redeemer (from Constantine I suppose, I don't think the president would award it). In that case, it seems it is awarded to the heir (Alexia was heir at the time of her birth!), sons of the monarch and the eldest son of the heir... It will be interesting to see whether Marie-Chantal and the other sons of Pavlos will now also receive the Order of the Redeemer, now Pavlos is head of the royal house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom