Greek Royal Family current events & pictures 2: February 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was done to the Royal Family is beyond forgiveness, they had been exiled for decades already. To denaturalize them truly exposed the sheer evilness that surrounds Greek politics. The way the Greek government dealt with their loss after the late King sued them at the European Court of Human Rights was just the cherry on top, wasn't it.

I'm always glad to see how firm they are about the "family name" issue. Greek politicians can wait all they want, Constantine's children shall never go by Glücksburg. (I'm less sure about what Alexia's and Plavlos' descendants might do in the future, though)

Can't wait to hear Prince Nikolaos, he's always very articulate and thoughtful.

Last edited:
I agree with Adda's statements. I believe that late King Constantine did not deserve that treatment by Greek politicians, many of these politicians are known to be among the most corrupt in the history of Greece.
I feel sad because King Constantine could only reside in Greece for a few years, and a part of them, in poor health.

But this is true, I do not believe that Pavlos's children will defend the Greek nationality of their grandfather in the future, even, who knows if they would assume Glücksburg for aesthetic reasons:eek::sad:

I see the children of Prince Pavlos and also his wife Marie Chantal very far from Greece and the Royal Family, on some occasion, she has published photos saying that her homeland is in London... Her son Constantino Alexios likes to wear the USA flag and celebrate the 4th of July in style, the March 25 means nothing to him.:sad: It's sad.
I would like that 1995 law to be repealed by late King Constantine, and Queen Anna Maria, and their children, ...This is hard to believe because the profile of politicians, as we have seen in January, is the same that those who signed that law in 1995.

On the other hand, I like the interviews with Prince Nikolaos, he has a very good oratory, it is obvious that he defends himself in the media. However, Prince Pavlos, in the interviews, seems to be nervous, he does not measure his wordsdoes ,not control what he says, and I do not know how to explain it. he does not express himself correctly what he really wants to say, he does not use the correct words.For example, recently in ANT1 Greece, to say that his mother lives in Athens, he said "my mother has no other place to go, she can only live in greece", if you think about it is not correct, his mother has 5 children, could live with them. Queen Margrethe , if she needs it, of course the palace door will open her.... Maybe he wanted to say that his mother lives in Athens, because Greece is her home,:flowers: but no, my mother lives in Athens because she doesn't has a place to go... he doesn't have that oratory that Prince Nikolaos, and his mother Queen Anna Maria have.

Last edited:
It is normal that Nikolaos speaks better Greek than Pavlos. He has been living in Greece for years now, so he acquired the "actual" Greek language. Both attended Greek school in London and they were speaking Greek with her father. But Pavlos out of many holidays.. he never spent a considerably long period in Greece. And don't forget .. he should be more than 25 when he came in Greece for the 1st time (I don't count the few hours the family stayed for Late Queen Federica's funeral).
He studied abroad and married a non Greek speaking woman. We couldn't expect more. He is 100% fluent but he is not speaking like a Greek from Greece.
As for the sentence about his mother, maybe he wanted to say that his mother has no else place to go because she considers Greece her homeland.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

It is normal that Nikolaos speaks better Greek than Pavlos. He has been living in Greece for years now, so he acquired the "actual" Greek language. Both attended Greek school in London and they were speaking Greek with her father. But Pavlos out of many holidays.. he never spent a considerably long period in Greece. And don't forget .. he should be more than 25 when he came in Greece for the 1st time (I don't count the few hours the family stayed for Late Queen Federica's funeral).
He studied abroad and married a non Greek speaking woman. We couldn't expect more. He is 100% fluent but he is not speaking like a Greek from Greece.
As for the sentence about his mother, maybe he wanted to say that his mother has no else place to go because she considers Greece her homeland.

Pavlos was born in Greek and lived there the first 6 months of his life, but of course, living there for several months as a baby doesn't add anything in terms of speaking Greek either.

I agree with Adda's statements. I believe that late King Constantine did not deserve that treatment by Greek politicians, many of these politicians are known to be among the most corrupt in the history of Greece.
I feel sad because King Constantine could only reside in Greece for a few years, and a part of them, in poor health.

But this is true, I do not believe that Pavlos's children will defend the Greek nationality of their grandfather in the future, even, who knows if they would assume Glücksburg for aesthetic reasons:eek::sad:

I see the children of Prince Pavlos and also his wife Marie Chantal very far from Greece and the Royal Family, on some occasion, she has published photos saying that her homeland is in London... Her son Constantino Alexios likes to wear the USA flag and celebrate the 4th of July in style, the March 25 means nothing to him.:sad: It's sad.
I would like that 1995 law to be repealed by late King Constantine, and Queen Anna Maria, and their children, ...This is hard to believe because the profile of politicians, as we have seen in January, is the same that those who signed that law in 1995.

On the other hand, I like the interviews with Prince Nikolaos, he has a very good oratory, it is obvious that he defends himself in the media. However, Prince Pavlos, in the interviews, seems to be nervous, he does not measure his wordsdoes ,not control what he says, and I do not know how to explain it. he does not express himself correctly what he really wants to say, he does not use the correct words.For example, recently in ANT1 Greece, to say that his mother lives in Athens, he said "my mother has no other place to go, she can only live in greece", if you think about it is not correct, his mother has 5 children, could live with them. Queen Margrethe , if she needs it, of course the palace door will open her.... Maybe he wanted to say that his mother lives in Athens, because Greece is her home,:flowers: but no, my mother lives in Athens because she doesn't has a place to go... he doesn't have that oratory that Prince Nikolaos, and his mother Queen Anna Maria have.

You are right, for the grandchildren the last name is irrelevant, today I read that Achileas uses as actor the surname, Miller. He is Achilleas Miller. Unfortunately I agree, it would be nice if that law were repealed, by King Constantine, but it doesn't make sense for his grandchildren.I think that even Prince Pavlos's claims lose value, why does he want the passport, if his family prefers to be Miller?

I watched fully the interview of Pavlos and Nikolaos yesterday. Extremely interesting. They were interviewed separately and you could see both the difference of their caracter and their role.
Pavlos is now the Head of the family and is clear in his speech. Nikolaos seems more flexible in his positions.
Nikolaos said that he is now living in Greece for 10 years. Of course the language mastery difference between the 2 brothers is obvious.
On the other side cudos to Pavlos for his mastery of Greek while he never spent a living period in Greece.
For the first time i heard an official and clear explanation of the famous matter of the name.
Gluksburg is has never been the name of the GRF neither of the DRF. Is just the name of one of the castles of their origin (then danish now german territory).
Pavlos explained that the family took also advice from Danish lawyers and historians about, and the outcome was clear. Isn't/ has never been family's name.
Pavlos explained that since the family came in Greece their last name has been : from Greece (translation) Της Ελλάδος.
And this name they are all carrying in their Danish passports. Clear.
They also talked about their childhood and Nikolaos talked about Axion Hellas.
Pavlos talked about his participation in Princes' Trust and the job they have been doing for Greece (I didn't know).
Nikolaos said Tatiana speaks Greek now.

Indeed, nothing but praise to CP Pavlos for speaking fluent Greek despite not having lived in the country (except as a baby). He doesn't come across as a frivolous person, it's a shame his and his family's social media presence give that impression. He's level-headed.

Prince Nikolaos has a special sensibility, this is reflected on his two main activities: photography and Axion Hellas (which does a tremendous job in very remote islands). By moving to Greece, he defended his family's honour and seems to have found peace.
I think even the most fervent republican would agree those two are decent people.

Now I want an interview with Queen Anna-Maria, but I don't know if she would be up to it, so soon after the King's passing, perhaps if accompanied by one of her daughters, or Princess Tatiana.

Last edited:
Pavlos and Nikolaos TV Interview

Hello everyone.

Just watched a very interesting one-hour interview with Pavlos and Nikolaos on national greek television.
Very well spoken, both of them came across very well, with a simplicity that we have grown to recognise.
I was amazed to see how many features of his father Nikolaos has, always assumed he resembled more his mother, the lovely Anne Marie.
They both spoke adoringly of Greece, stating that there is no question of not respecting the country's regime.
Nikolaos mentioned Tatiana when he said that his only concern when he moved to Greece ten years ago was how she would adjust to Athens and how Greeks would react to her. He said that all worked out perfectly.
I was really impressed with both of them, very simple, serious, honest, with straightforward answers.
There is a link of course, but only in greek.

I have been looking for it and I have been finding it in pieces, but a moment ago, in the group "the greek Royal Family" facebook, Isabel Saavedra has published a link to the EPT channel with the report.

https://www.ertflix.gr/series/ser.2...55-5H7pj9D4V6v_BVucZ7p4IeoxPWDRJFCvnkgOGrGWP8

I would like to see a recent interview with Queen Anna Maria, like the one with Nkolaos and Pavlos, but seeing the interview with Katherina Lapsa, I think we are going to have to wait much longer. When in Katherina's interview, Queen Anna Maria remembers her mother Queen Ingrid, she is about to burst into tears, her voice changes... I don't even want to think if she would gave an interview now and had to talk about her Constantine husband , I think she could not speak. This would be very hard for her...

Last edited by a moderator:
What was done to the Royal Family is beyond forgiveness, they had been exiled for decades already. To denaturalize them truly exposed the sheer evilness that surrounds Greek politics. The way the Greek government dealt with their loss after the late King sued them at the European Court of Human Rights was just the cherry on top, wasn't it.

I'm always glad to see how firm they are about the "family name" issue. Greek politicians can wait all they want, Constantine's children shall never go by Glücksburg. (I'm less sure about what Alexia's and Plavlos' descendants might do in the future, though)

Can't wait to hear Prince Nikolaos, he's always very articulate and thoughtful.
I have to disagree. The government and it's people did not and do not want a monarchy anymore. They should respect the people's wishes and go by Glücksburg. Going by "Prince/Princess of Greece" is just plainly disrespectful to Greece.

I wish it had English subs! seems interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree. The government and it's people did not and do not want a monarchy anymore. They should respect the people's wishes and go by Glücksburg. Going by "Prince/Princess of Greece" is just plainly disrespectful to Greece.

I wish it had English subs! seems interesting.
The don't use Prince of Greece ... just 'of Greece'. Pavlos explained it has always been their name.
Gluksburg is not their name .. it has never been. Is an unhistorical mistake. So why they should accept it, to satisfy some?
Does ever someone think of obliging the actual French RF to be called Chambord? (Known Chateau)
Or Chillon ( a Chateau in Switzerland ? ) No!
They bear the title Compte de Paris... nobody is bothered in France.

As for showing disrespect towards the Greek Government and the people...
Monarchy has officially been abolished by people's decision in 1974 .. this is fully accepted.
Furthermore 30% of the population voted for the Monarchy.. they are not rubbish either.. they should be respected.
There is also another delicate point which I won't discuss as I don't have any relative legal knowledge.
When democracy has been restored in 1974 and Karamanlis announced the referendum for the possible return of Monarchy, King Konstantine has not been allowed to return back before the date of referendum. He was allowed only to one single TV speech to support his position. They are voices who say that this discriminatory behavior makes the referendum illegal as all parts should have equal rights of campaign and coverage. He just was entitled to 15 minutes of speech. Keep in mind that we were decades before internet and social media.
All this to say that everything was not so clear this period towards the King and continued being unclear and unfair.

Last edited:
There’s a big difference between them and France.

France’s nobility or royalty is a quality that no longer has any legal effect" but it still exists as a social class and, in some way, the Republic even recognizes the old titles but only as “accessories of the name" and which can thus appear on the acts of civil status or on your checkbook if you are duly titled. Meaning the French government and the people (or so it seems) are fine with those titles.

The Greek government and its people are simply not ok with the “Greek royals” using that last name and had made it clear many times. They can pick another name that doesn’t have to be Glücksburg.

Greeks are mixing the title King of Greece (or other country) and King simply as a title.
There is no King of Greece anymore but since once a King... he will be called King Konstantine for ever.
He is former King of Greece (as territory) but he stays King (as a title) Like someone once Admiral... will be called Admiral even after retirement.
A former President of Republic .. will be called Mr. President. Not mr former President. Son simple like that.

Since people decided almost 40 years ago, and now the last King passed away, i don't understand why the former GRF still represents a risk for some people, and they still treat him like this.
We didn't want him anymore, we voted, all settled. Full stop.

So it now turns out that people who accepted their fate, had to live in exile, and got their citizenship and properties taken from them, also have to take on a different family name. Just to please some paranoid people in Greece. Oh my goodness. :lol:

In the words of CP Pavlos and Prince Nikolaos: "The Monarchy has been abolished, but we are born Princes"

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more. I was born and raised in Greece by Greek parents. I spent, so far, two large periods of my life abroad. The last time, living in Germany, working with Germans and living with a German parnter, I ended up, after the first two years, dreaming in german.
Imagine if I was born there, to a German mother and was educated there. What kind of greek would I speak?
I believe that Pavlos is fluent under his circumstances. I feel a little for him when on TV, it's obvious he has to think about what to say, greek doesn't come out naturally, but still it's totally understandable. I believe he is honest when he says that the monarchy belongs to the past and he has no claims, his life choices prove that. I find it perfectly natural that his kids don't speak the language and don't really feel greek, it's an accomplishment that he does. Don't forget that Theodora and Filippos don't actually speak greek.
Nikolaos made the hard choice to live in Greece despite of how his family was treated, but I think he has earned the appreciation of Greeks, he is totally Greek. He is by far, together with Anne Marie, the most popular member of the family.

Last edited:
:previous:Prince Phlippos speaks Greek quite well, even now he is a volunteer for Axion Hellas, and he feels very Greek. Princess Theodora speaks very simple Greek, but she herself has stated that her homeland is Greece.
A Greek friend of Filippos who studied with him at the university said on his Facebook profile that Filippos was a real Greek.

The cover of Hello! Magazine doesn't seem fair to me. First, because the interview not only talks about Prince Pavlos, but also his brother, Prince Nikolaos, and second, because the main topic is not his relationship with King Charles III, Pavlos talks briefly about his work with the Prince's Trust Foundation , no of the King charles. Hello magazine! You should be more courageous, they should request an interview from Queen Anna Maria or the Princes, but not copy the interview from a Greek TV show of the EPTnews

Last edited:
Prince Filippos does speak basic Greek. Check min 3:28'

Not being a native Greek speaker, I empathize with CP Plavlos, always taking a couple of seconds to construct the sentence in my head before I open my mouth, but he's really fluent, just not native fluent.

Last edited:
So it now turns out that people who accepted their fate, had to live in exile, and got their citizenship and properties taken from them, also have to take on a different family name. Just to please some paranoid people in Greece.

Oh my goodness. :lol:

I cannot see the connection between naming and exile, but there are millions of people in the world whose ancestors have experienced exile and confiscation of citizenship and properties, and comply with whichever naming laws are applicable.

If it is true that the family thinks of the electorate of their ancestral country as "some paranoid people", then surely they would not want to use the name of those "paranoid people" as their family name.

The don't use Prince of Greece ... just 'of Greece'. Pavlos explained it has always been their name.

Was it really, though? Or was it a territorial designation signifying their reign over the nation of Greece?

Furthermore 30% of the population voted for the Monarchy.. they are not rubbish either.. they should be respected.

I agree that 31% is a very significant minority, but I am not sure how the wishes of both the republican majority and monarchist minority could have been accommodated. Should Greece have been split into a monarchy and a republic? Or should there have been a Romania-style arrangement with the king given a lesser official role?

Greeks are mixing the title King of Greece (or other country) and King simply as a title.
There is no King of Greece anymore but since once a King... he will be called King Konstantine for ever.
He is former King of Greece (as territory) but he stays King (as a title) Like someone once Admiral... will be called Admiral even after retirement.
A former President of Republic .. will be called Mr. President. Not mr former President. Son simple like that.

That is not universal protocol; it differs between countries and over time.

If it is true that the family thinks of the electorate of their ancestral country as "some paranoid people", then surely they would not want to use the name of those "paranoid people" as their family name.

Quite striking how you managed to mix things up.

It was me who referred to the Greek left as paranoid people. Such words were never said by the Princes in the interview being discussed (or ever, for that matter).

Quite striking how you managed to mix things up.

It was me who referred to the Greek left as paranoid people. Such words were never said by the Princes in the interview being discussed (or ever, for that matter).

Hence the "if", since in reading your post it wasn't clear to me whether or not you were describing what you believed were/should be their motives, but I appreciate the clarification.

Last edited:
"... there are millions of people in the world whose ancestors have experienced exile and confiscation of citizenship and properties...", Yes millions of people to whom THE DICTATORSHIPS have confiscated property, nationality... The Democracies do not withdraw the passports of those born in its territory, it do not confiscate its assets because the right to property is a human right, San Francisco Declaration of Human Rights 1948, and it do not remove a person's identity and finally let me say that Laws in a democracy are general, they can never be directed at specific people, but rather at groups of people....

In 1996, the Greek Council of State, the highest interpreter of the Greek Constitution, said in its resolution that Glixburg cannot be a surname in Greece and that it is not the family surname.

Although the Family would be offere a valid and constitutional surname in Greece, the Venizelos law in force does not restore their nationality, it creates a new nationality, that is, a foreigner acquires Greek nationality, why? Because the Venizilenos law was a political law, created to prevent members of the Greek royal family from being seen as candidates for Greek politics, and do you know why they did this? because many Greeks have believed for years, that within the Republic itself, the Ex King and his children would be suitable for the position of Prime Minister or President of the Republic.

Glad to see Queen Ann Marie spending time with her family in Greece.

With my respects to all the Greek media that have published this information and Andreas Megos too, they have all copied the same text, from Protothema. And this medium says that the movie they went to see is Barbie. But I have read that the photos are original from an Instagram profile related to Marina cinema, in the section stories, I have located the Instagram profile of cinema but the photos were no, I have not arrived on time . But I am seeing that the movie that this theater has on the billboard is not Barbie, it is mission- impossible:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Also nice to see the Spanish cousins with the Greek RF.

Thanks to whoever took these photos, because although they are not good, I like to see the content, and I love seeing Queen Anna Maria accompanied by her daughter Alexia and her granddaughters, and I loved seeing Infanta Cristina and her children also with aunt Anna Maria. Cristina and Alexia are cousins and great friends.
But allow me to emphasize that in addition to Arrietta, Anne-Marie, Amelia, there is also Princess Nina.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...MlrFIXgrspMUR_7_U-aus47hnKzKW/s719/cine3s.PNG

In addition to Pablo, there is also Miguel, the other son of the Infanta Cristina, and another detail, Amelia, is gorgeous.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...MlrFIXgrspMUR_7_U-aus47hnKzKW/s719/cine3s.PNG

And now I wonder. Pavlos and MC began their vacation in Greece at the beginning of July, with two of their children. They were in Athens, they have been in Kefalonia... I have seen photos of them taken by private individuals who have seen them dining, shopping... The last photo I have seen this week of them was in a pet shop in Athens, posing with the business owner. And I have been thinking if they would be ending their stay in Greece, because they had returned to the capital. These photos of Spetses, show us that there is no member of Prince Pavlos's family, I wonder, have they left Greece?

Back
Top Bottom