Engagement of Princess Theodora of Greece and Matthew Kumar - November 16, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is unfortunate that the wedding will not go ahead as planned due to the global pandemic. That said, there is little information in the public domain to tell if the wedding has merely been postponed, or cancelled altogether.

Well I visited the Celia Krithiatori website and her bridal creations are magic.

Theodora made a very good choice!?

It is unfortunate that the wedding will not go ahead as planned due to the global pandemic. That said, there is little information in the public domain to tell if the wedding has merely been postponed, or cancelled altogether.

What kind of information would you need? I don't see any reason to think that the wedding has been cancelled altogether; just like princess Beatrice of York (and James Middleton - as was pointed out by Hola) the pair had to postpone their wedding because of the pandemic. Rather unfortunate, but not unique to them. So, unless other information surfaces, I'd say everything points in the direction of the wedding being celebrated at another date (as that is what was communicated).

Their spokesperson was pretty clear about the intentions (as reported by Hola). It was said that they had to cancel because of Covid-19, that they don't have set a new date yet but are analyzing the situation in detail to see when they can celebrate the wedding.

Why didn' t they marry in 2019 after being already engaged since 2018?
Everybody expected that.

Why would they have cancelled the wedding? They haven't split up. They just aren't able to have the actual wedding at the moment because of the restrictions caused by the pandemic. Some couples have set another date provisionally because they want to be sure they can get a particular venue, but a lot of couples are postponing their weddings indefinitely because they don't want to book another date until they know exactly when the sort of wedding they want will be possible again.

OK, royals aren't pushed for money, but, if you book a hotel for a wedding, and then want to cancel again because travel restrictions are still in place so your cousin in Australia and old friend in Canada can't come, and are told that you can't have your money back because the hotel's open, it's all going to get pretty messy. I can certainly understand why people are waiting to see what happens.

Everybody expected that.

I know it's a long time by royal standards but 18 months isn't so long for couples who want specific things and that's before we get into personal things which they don't tell us. Perhaps they were busy in 2019 or decided May 2020 was the perfect combination of weather, timing, planning and widest family/friends availability for both of them.

It was also discussed up thread if there were religious conversion considerations but we don't know that either.

:previous: Not only a possible religious conversion requirement for the groom by the Orthodox Church. Mr. Kumar is marrying a princess from a Royal house, though a defunct one. There might be legalities i.e. prenuptial/financial contracts and agreements to be worked out in addition to the other planning that a regular bride and groom take on.

:previous: Not only a possible religious conversion requirement for the groom by the Orthodox Church. Mr. Kumar is marrying a princess from a Royal house, though a defunct one. There might be legalities i.e. prenuptial/financial contracts and agreements to be worked out in addition to the other planning that a regular bride and groom take on.

I wonder whether there would be some kind of vetting process by the Danish court as he will be invited to various royal state occasions as the husband of the queen's niece (and the future king's cousin).

Theoretically, that could also apply to the Spanish court but the Greek cousins aren't typically invited to royal state occasions.

The one article about Theodora says she is the fourth born, and the last child of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. I believe her brother, Phillipos is the youngest child.

The one article about Theodora says she is the fourth born, and the last child of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. I believe her brother, Phillipos is the youngest child.

Yes, Prince Phillipos is the youngest of the sons of the King and Queen of Greece.

Yes, Prince Phillipos is the youngest of the sons of the King and Queen of Greece.
I know it' s a translation to English difference, but Phillipos is the youngest child of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. Not just the youngest son. :flowers:

Everybody expected that.

They got engaged at the end of November in 2018.

Many weddings can take up to a year to plan. If you want a custom gown, you want a specific venue and so on. If they wanted a late spring wedding, they would have either marry with only six months to plan, or wait 18 months. With them both having family in multiple countries, they would have had scheduling to consider. Plus things like Mathew converting which takes time and study.

If they had a crystal ball and known there was a chance they couldn't marry this year, they likely would have opted for a different season if 6 months wasn't enough time to plan. But no one could have for seen this happening.

Last edited:
Theodora and Matthew:

"On what should have been our wedding weekend - the love and support from friends and family have been so appreciated. We can’t wait to celebrate with all of you in Greece once it’s safe xx ❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAolnAIHGjF/

Likely a very bitter sweet/hard weekend for them. But had to be done. Luckily they could be together for the day, and they will have their wedding eventually.

Theodora and Matthew:

"On what should have been our wedding weekend - the love and support from friends and family have been so appreciated. We can’t wait to celebrate with all of you in Greece once it’s safe xx ❤️"

I am glad they put that message out. It will seilence all the rumours that the engagement itself was off.

Theodora and Matthew:

I feel for couples who were meant to have weddings this year but at least there's next year. I've seen a few people have "lockdown weddings" on Zoom; but I guess for a royal wedding with a lot of guests (even if the family aren't reigning anymore) that just doesn't cut it. ;)

:previous: Just check the previous page in this thread :D

Princess Theodora is going to be a beautiful bride when her day comes.;)

She and Matthew make a good couple.

We still don't have a date for this wedding. Will it take place in the summer?

Was there a reason given for the Wedding delay such as the King's recent poor health?

I agree, they are not going to give any official reason, and I believe that their wedding will not be announced like that of Prince Filippos.
Now I also think that we are speculating about , why it has not been celebrated yet looking at the Greek Royal Family, but we forget that it is possible that it, the reason, could be on the side of Matthew's Family.
This would also be possible, that the wedding was suspended for reasons related to Matthew's Family.
I believe, and the proof is in the Filippos-Nina wedding, King Constantine was in poor health, and was present at the THREE EVENTS, the pre-wedding, the wedding, and the event at the Yacht Club. I don't think the problem has to do with the King's health.

I do not know the reasons, but it is curious, because if you follow Nina's instagram, you can see that Theodora-Matthew, Philippos-Nina are spending a few days in Morocco, and two months ago, they were in Mozambique, in the hotel complex of Nina. I think , they have free time, the reason why they have not married yet, and obviously it is not for work reasons, and not because of the pandemic....My opinion, the reason why that they have not yet married would be reasons external to them, related to other people... It cannot be excluded the state of health of King Constantine , they might want to wait for Constantine to improve his health after the problems he had in December and January

Philippos and Nina managed to get married, so if they truly wanted to get married, I don't see why they couldn't do so. Apparently, they are fine being engaged and getting married is not that much of a priority to them.

It is not unlikely that her father will never be 'in better health', so waiting for it could even result in him not being able to attend at all as he might have passed away by then.

Agree to anything said before. The King not only attended all ceremonies in Greece for Philippos and Nina but also travelled in Switzerland in the middle of covid for the Civil wedding. So if Theodora and Matthew really wanted to book a date, the whole GRF, including the King would attend.
I just believe that they are well like this and they don't want to do something more.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom