Engagement of Princess Theodora of Greece and Matthew Kumar - November 16, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The disciplinary resolution of the State Bar says: "the absence of harm to clients, and the respondent's good character", he used the client's account (Fidecomiso) to carry out personal transactions or pays. That is, using a bank account that you are not the owner of to carry out personal operations, without appropriating your client's assets, because Matthew entered personal assets to carry out these operations (you read resolution). I agree that there is no harm, and indeed there is bad practice on the part of the lawyer, and for this reason the College suspends him for one year.

This, in my opinion, has no significance to be the cause of the impediment to his wedding, on the contrary, they could take advantage of this moment to get married.

The Royal House has never issued a statement about the date of their wedding, or about their wedding, we have deduced the date from the rumors that come, for example, from the designer of the dress.... We do not know if they are already married or not. They could have gotten married and we not know about it. They might want a wedding in the strictest privacy, like Filippos's first wedding, and that nothing should be revealed to the media. I'm trying to say, we are waiting for a wedding, looking for reasons, for a wedding where, so to speak, we and the press might not even be invited.

Failing to respond to the State Bar's inquiries regarding the disciplinary investigation makes it even more serious. And apparently, his suspension will not automatically be lifted after a year but only if he meets certain requirements. It seems the year of probation started on March 27 or June 29 last year.

The fact that prior to this offense he had been warned multiple times makes it rven more concerning. He is taking on clients with debts but apparently cannot handle money well himself either...

Normally an actual suspension of 90 days is given, however, Matthew received a stayed suspension for 1 year in which he needs to comply with specific requirements.

Last edited:
In Spain, to access the state Bar you need an exam too, it is not enough to have a university title. ...There are two types of suspensions, the temporary ones, due to bad practices, like Matthew, and the very serious ones. , which are total expulsion from the profession. When the suspension period has elapsed, you have to take that exam again.

I reiterate again. A year where he cannot practice as a lawyer, but he can do other procedures that do not require a lawyer's license, for example administrative or creating a business, a company...or taking it as a sabbatical year...Like he decides , which is clear that he cannot carry out laws activities.
This does not have to harm him financially or reputation, in the resolution, it speaks to the fact that Matthew did not cause damage to his client, and , his good conduct Financially, in Spain, lawyers have private insurance that covers these suspension, even, the lawyers' insurance covers his income during the period in which he is suspended. If this is in Spain, I imagine that in the US they will also have private insurance to it, it is county of the insurances.

It appears that something happened in November 2023 that caused his license to be "ordered inactive." This is after the suspension and stay earlier in the year. His current status is "not eligible to practice law in CA."

I wonder if he failed to comply with the requirements in the order staying his suspension or something.

https://apps.calbar.ca.gov/attorney/Licensee/Detail/283521

His absence in Tatoi this January makes sense now.
Oh boy. :sad:

The suspension resolution is June 29, 2023, if it starts counting then until June 29, 2024, he cannot exercise, therefore it is logical that he put that. In fact, his name is in the State bar, that is, he is a member, but he cannot practice until "June 29 of 2024" and if he passes the exam....

Hmmm yes could be a very good reason why the wedding hasn't been publicly rescheduled. Doing so would probably make it fodder for the media linking a Greek Princess to a "scandal". Much better to let it resolve itself before any big announcement.

It is a long time from engagement but I guess we have to factor Covid and then her father's health into it.

The wedding of Prince Filippos in 2020 in Switzerland and the wedding in Greece in 2021 were not announced by the Greek Royal House, I remember that we knew that date because the Spanish blog published it, a person close to the designer Celia Kritharioti had told them that the Greek designer had an avalanche of clients, because the son of King Constantine was getting married on October 23, 2021. Nothing was announced about King Constantine's funeral, 2023, nor the time of the funeral, we learned about it from the press but there were no official statements. May of 2020and may 2023 had not communicated about it, we have discovered it indirectly......I do not believe that a one-year suspension from practicing as a lawyer from the California Bar Association has anything to do with Theodora's wedding. This is a professional problem for Matthew. The resolution is June 2023, I do not believe that his wedding was subject to Matthew approving access control to the California Bar Association.When and where Theodora will get married we will know through indirect means. Regarding the suspension of Theodora's wedding, there was also no official statement, it was the designer Celia Kritharioti who said it, since Theodora had called her to tell her.

Last edited:
Theodora herself confirmed the original wedding date in a post in that specific weekend expressing thanks for those reaching out to them on what was supposed to be their wedding day.

The suspension resolution is June 29, 2023, if it starts counting then until June 29, 2024, he cannot exercise, therefore it is logical that he put that. In fact, his name is in the State bar, that is, he is a member, but he cannot practice until "June 29 of 2024" and if he passes the exam....

No, originally they stayed his suspension, so he would have been able to practice on probation. But, something happened in November that got his license pulled.

...I do not believe that a one-year suspension from practicing as a lawyer from the California Bar Association has anything to do with Theodora's wedding. This is a professional problem for Matthew. The resolution is June 2023, I do not believe that his wedding was subject to Matthew approving access control to the California Bar Association.When and where Theodora will get married we will know through indirect means. Regarding the suspension of Theodora's wedding, there was also no official statement, it was the designer Celia Kritharioti who said it, since Theodora had called her to tell her.

In November, his license was pulled. It's not clear if the stay on the suspension was revoked or something else happened, but he is not able to practice now.

Last edited:
I was always strongly suspicious that one way or another it involved money as the stumbling block....:ermm:

Last edited:
I read in a Spanish blog: Princess Theodora's wedding will be in autumn and in Athens, the source of the blog is an article published by the Greek journalist close to the designer Celia Kritiatori. This journalist is the same one who announced the wedding date of Filippos and Nina.

Matthew's most important exam will be autumn and in Greece.

I wonder if Princess Theodora and Matthew will resettle in Europe?

:previous: I hope so. I would like very much to see Matthew put this mess with the State bar behind him

He seems like a good guy.

I read in a Spanish blog: Princess Theodora's wedding will be in autumn and in Athens, the source of the blog is an article published by the Greek journalist close to the designer Celia Kritiatori. This journalist is the same one who announced the wedding date of Filippos and Nina.

We've heard from sources supposedly close to that designer about this wedding so many times over the years, I don't put much credence in the rumors.

:previous: I hope so. I would like very much to see Matthew put this mess with the State bar behind him

He seems like a good guy.

I'd be curious to know what he did that caused the stay on the suspension to be lifted and his license pulled. The behavior noted in the background on his case, including ducking calls and failing to respond to official inquiries in a timely way, doesn't scream "good guy."

Back
Top Bottom