Engagement of Princess Theodora of Greece and Matthew Kumar - November 16, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not if you are a member of the defunct Greek Royal Family.

Not gonna happen.:cool:
Never say no, it won't happen
..times change.
Would you ever imagine a Prince of Wales divorce and then marry his divorced mistress and make her Queen of United Kingdom?

As for Matthew I noticed that he has already converted to Orthodox Faith, he did the Cross sign accordingly in Late King's Konstantine funeral.
Mystery why they had postponed so many times, now I understand because of her father's death.
But the Covid reason not valid for me. But Matthew seems totally integrated into the GRF.
Wait and see.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

I’m surprised that they didn’t have a civil wedding during lockdown like Philippos and Nina had so they at least could call themselves ”married” and then have a church wedding later….
This couple have been together for even longer..:

Wether they want children or not is up to them… They may have decided to not have any… Or maybe can’t have any for biological reasons… That’s their business. Not ours

Theodora is 40 in two months. High time to become a mother. I think if the couple wanted to have kids they would have started.
The next chance for Queen Anne-Marie to become again grandmother is only Philippos IMO.

Theodora is 40 in two months. High time to become a mother. I think if the couple wanted to have kids they would have started.
The next chance for Queen Anne-Marie to become again grandmother is only Philippos IMO.

Anne Marie is already grandmother to 9 grandchildren; so, I don't worry to much about her. If Phillippos and Nina would like to have children, I hope they will receive them.

Last edited:
Sensitive topic, but I think Anna-Maria and Konstantinos were lucky that Plavlos had 5 children and Alexia had 4, because it seems 3 out of their 5 children might be childless. Nina and Philippos are 36 already, so they can't wait that long either.

Matthew really seems splendid. His behaviour at the late King's funeral was absolutely impeccable.

Matthew has grown on me. He seems discreet and devoted. And I agree from what we saw at the king's funeral in December he has been fully incorporated both into the Greek Orthodox Church and into the Royal family itself, even accompanying Queen Sofia and Princess Irene to inspect the Royal burial grounds before Constantine's funeral.

I really do hope to see Theodora as the next Royal bride. She is going to be so beautiful!?

I saw Theodora very closely last year in Prince Nikolaos photo exhibition opening, she is one million times better than in pictures. Just I dislike her hair color.

Maybe they are looking at their cousin Prince Gustav and thinking, "No rush..."

Did Theodora and Matthew marry?

I just read a story in British Vogue that refers to the wedding of Theodora and Matthew having taken place in 2023. Did this happen already?

(The story is about royal events coming in 2024, but it specifically mentions Theodora’s wedding as having happened already in 2023.)

https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/major-royal-moments-2024

:previous: I truly and sincerely hope so. He appears devoted to the princess from what I have seen of them together .

This has to be one of the longest Royal engagements, if not the longest.:sad:

I really hope it's true!!! Matthew has proven himself to be a real gentleman.

If it did happen, I applaud them for going under the radar, if that's what they wanted. Good for them!

As much as I hope it's true, wouldn't the Greek Royal House have put out a statement after the fact?:cool:

As much as I hope it's true, wouldn't the Greek Royal House have put out a statement after the fact?:cool:

But it's British Vogue reporting it, not some random provincial magazine. Perhaps Matthew and Theodora want absolute privacy.

I really hope they got married, Matthew won my heart this year with his excellent behaviour and caring nature for Queen Sofia and Princess Eiríni.

:previous: I agree. He seemed very gentle and protective of Queen Sofia and Princess Irene when he accompanied them to inspect the Royal cemetery at Tatoi.

And they were completely 100% as relaxed around him as if he was already family.

But it's British Vogue reporting it, not some random provincial magazine. Perhaps Matthew and Theodora want absolute privacy.

I really hope they got married, Matthew won my heart this year with his excellent behaviour and caring nature for Queen Sofia and Princess Eiríni.

It's interesting that they would report it now. If they knew about a wedding, that would have been a scoop. You'd think they would have run a separate piece about it.

It is true that the wedding was announced for May 2023, in Spetses, but it was suspended indefinitely due to the death of King Constantine. I don't think Princess Theodora has married Matthew, yet. I believe that the magazine assumes that the wedding was celebrate because it was announce to may of 2023, but it was not ...in fact, in May, on the same dates was, when the Patriarch of Constantinople paid tribute at the tomb of King Constantine, there were no more events in that month of May. The wedding og Theodora and Matthew was suspended in january

It is true that the wedding was announced for May 2023, in Spetses, but it was suspended indefinitely due to the death of King Constantine. I don't think Princess Theodora has married Matthew, yet. I believe that the magazine assumes that the wedding was celebrate because it was announce to may of 2023, but it was not ...in fact, in May, on the same dates was, when the Patriarch of Constantinople paid tribute at the tomb of King Constantine, there were no more events in that month of May. The wedding og Theodora and Matthew was suspended in january

Exactly, for the list of what happened in 2023, they probably just went back to their article from last year announcing what was going to happen without checking whether it truly did happen.

Exactly, for the list of what happened in 2023, they probably just went back to their article from last year announcing what was going to happen without checking whether it truly did happen.

But if you read the story, it wasn't exactly a list. They referred to Theodora and the two Jordanian weddings in the first paragraph.

It's either a big scoop for Vogue or a massive editorial/fact-checking failure.

Here's the reference: "The year 2023 has been an eventful one for the royal families of the world. There was the Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, the release of Prince Harry’s bombshell memoir, Spare, and the birth of Princess Eugenie’s second son, Ernest. A handful of royal weddings took place – including those of Princess Theodora of Greece, Crown Prince al Hussein of Jordan and Princess Iman bint Abdullah II. Meanwhile there were grand celebrations in Denmark, as Prince Christian turned 18, bringing together the next generation of European royals at his lavish birthday gala. So what can royal-watchers look forward to in 2024? Here’s your cheat sheet."

But if you read the story, it wasn't exactly a list. They referred to Theodora and the two Jordanian weddings in the first paragraph.

It's either a big scoop for Vogue or a massive editorial/fact-checking failure.

Here's the reference: "The year 2023 has been an eventful one for the royal families of the world. There was the Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, the release of Prince Harry’s bombshell memoir, Spare, and the birth of Princess Eugenie’s second son, Ernest. A handful of royal weddings took place – including those of Princess Theodora of Greece, Crown Prince al Hussein of Jordan and Princess Iman bint Abdullah II. Meanwhile there were grand celebrations in Denmark, as Prince Christian turned 18, bringing together the next generation of European royals at his lavish birthday gala. So what can royal-watchers look forward to in 2024? Here’s your cheat sheet."

I read it before posting... They just made a list of important royal events, including a list of the major royal weddings... but one of them didn't happen.

Last edited:
Maybe. It will be interesting to see. It would be a huge mistake for Vogue -- which has close ties to the Greek royals through Marie-Chantal and her kids -- to make.

:previous:If it were said by Point de Vue, I would believe it. The royal event in Greece, unfortunately, was not Theodora's wedding, it was the funeral of King Constantine that brought together a large number of European Reigning Houses, and non-reigning ones, in Athens. Vogue does not talk about, nor highlight this event.. . .
Theodora's wedding was announced for May 2023. It was suspended.
The article talks about Theodora's wedding before Prince of Jordan's wedding, which was at the beginning of June, that is, according to Vogue, it took place on the established date, may.....It was suspended in January , the Princess called Celia Kritharioti, the dress's designer, and told her that she was devastated. I repeat in May it was celebrated, a trisage before the tomb of King Constantine.
Vogue has been confused, it talks about Theodora's wedding, but it does not remember that her father died in January and most of the European Royal Houses were in Athens to say goodbye to him.

Last edited:
I really hope that Princess Theodora and Matthew Kumar's wedding can take place in 2024. This appears to be the longest royal engagement ever.

Princess Theodora's wedding was canceled in January, it has not been celebrated yet.
But Matthew has been integrated into the family for a long time, in 2022, in Denmark, Matthew posed with members of the Danish and Greek Royal House, at the cousins' reunion in Grasten, with Queen Margrethe, Queen Anne'marie and the princess Benedikte. At events of the Danish Royal House he has been invited as a member of the Greek Royal Family. He is very integrated into the family.
It is sad that the wedding has been canceled so many times, King Constantine died in January 2023, for Theodora her father's presence was important, it is obvious that the wedding will have a very relevant absence, and that makes her daughter very sad.

I guess we will never know what the reason was that they never married so far.

Theodora's wedding was canceled due to covid. But we cannot forget that it is not an easy wedding, I do not know where Matthew's family lives, but it is obvious that his last name is from India, if his family must move from India to Greece... and the friends of Theodora and Matthew from California to Spetses...It is not easy to organize.

Theodora's wedding was canceled due to covid. But we cannot forget that it is not an easy wedding, I do not know where Matthew's family lives, but it is obvious that his last name is from India, if his family must move from India to Greece... and the friends of Theodora and Matthew from California to Spetses...It is not easy to organize.

Matthew is born and raised in California. His immediate family at the least is likely still there. And depending if they were born there, or when they came, many others could be as well. Flying from US to Greece for a wedding if you have a few months notice not a huge issue for most.

A possible reason for the further delay of the wedding?

https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2024/02/will-princess-theodora-and-matthew.html?m=1

On June 29, 2023, the Supreme Court of California "issued an order suspending attorney Matthew J. Kumar from the practice of law for one year, with the execution of suspension stayed." Kumar was placed on probation for one year.

The case "In the matter of Matthew J. Kumar" was brought by the California State Bar. Kumar was found guilty "of multiple violations related to his handling of client trust (CTA) account funds." He "allegedly commingled personal and law funds in the CTA," using the funds "to pay personal expenses."

That sounds very serious and would explain a lot too!

This could actually be one of the reasons why they haven't announced a new date for the wedding yet. And it's very strange that they announced their engagement in 2018 and haven't gotten married yet.

Back
Top Bottom