The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
We could very well see a fathering of the Danish and Spanish cousins at the wedding next year.
A fathering of the Danish and Spanish cousins... sounds complicated.

Seconds later I realized that you surely meant gathering

Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Royal Highness

This is great news - congratulations to the couple!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has a date or venue been announced for the wedding?

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Courtier

Slowly I start to wonder what' s going on.....
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's strange, too. I think they must have postponed the wedding for next year, but the reason is unknown.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Netty Leistra mentions on her site that they are going to marry in Spetses (Greece) in May:

https://www.nettyroyal.nl/en/non_pro/news_future.html
Old 12-14-2019, 11:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Makes sense. It is where her brother Nikolaus married. And its a short ferry ride from where Constantine and Anne-Marie live in Porto Cheli.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:11 AM
Majesty

I had forgotten all about poor Theodora's engagement!

Why the long delay? Does the groom need to first be instructed and received into the Orthodox Church perhaps? Are the Greek Royal Family lawyers drawing up prenups and other legal documents for him to sign before the wedding can take place?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-15-2019, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I had forgotten all about poor Theodora's engagement!

Why the long delay? Does the groom need to first be instructed and received into the Orthodox Church perhaps? Are the Greek Royal Family lawyers drawing up prenups and other legal documents for him to sign before the wedding can take place?
Some couples choose to have a longer engagement, even up to 2 years.

The possible pre-nups would certainly not have taken this long.

If he Chose to convert to Oxthodox it may be a reason, it can take up to a year to go through instruction. But there is no requirement for him to do so.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

What denomination/religion/faith is Matthew?
Old 12-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What denomination/religion/faith is Matthew?
I don't think there is any confirmation what he is. We know his father was born in Fiji and is of Indian descent. His mother is American. Even if he was raised Christian, he wouldn't have been raised in the Greek Orthodox faith.

But the Greek orthodox church doesn't require conversion.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Majesty

True, but none of the GRF have married outside their faith. Tatiana and Marie-Chantal converted to Orthodoxy before their weddings.

So even though it's not a requirement of the Church, it's like to be an expectation by the family...even though an unspoken one.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Nobility

It's certainly possible that's what the "hold up" has been. It's also highly possible there were other personal or professional (or both) reasons for an 18 month engagement. Whilst it's long my modern royal standards it's not that long.

I imagine that the family might prefer it if he was Greek Orthodox but in interfaith marriages or where one of the couple considers converting it has to be best for them not their wider family otherwise resentment sets in from the start.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
True, but none of the GRF have married outside their faith. Tatiana and Marie-Chantal converted to Orthodoxy before their weddings.

So even though it's not a requirement of the Church, it's like to be an expectation by the family...even though an unspoken one.
Did Carlos Morales Quintana also 'convert' from (most likely) Roman Catholic to Greek Orthodox? Their marriage was Orthodox as were the baptisms of their children if I am not mistaken.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Majesty

Good question! I know their wedding ceremony was Orthodox and yes, their children have been baptized Greek Orthodox.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Neither wedding or baptism in the Greek Orthodox church would require both the couple to be of the Orthodox faith.

There was likely more at least internal pressure with Pavlos and Nikolai. Even though they no longer have a throne, the Greek royals hold to their titles (and do have their Danish ones). Any woman marrying into the royal family became a princess, and considered a member of the RF. It was likely seen as important that they carry on the faith.

Alexia and Theodora's husbands are/will not be members of the RF. There wont be the same pressure likely internally for them to have converted.

Like weddings, baptizing children doesn't require for both parents to be Greek Orthodox. Theodora could marry in the church, and baptize her kids Greek Orthadox, without her husband converting.

I don't think we will know either. I don't see conversion being made public. I find no information one way or the other if Alexia's husband did.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Courtier

Conversion is not necessary, an orthodox person can marry a person who belongs to another faith, this is not a problem today, it is not necessary a religious conversion event.

I see it more as an act of loyalty to the Greek Royal Family, I believe that in the case of Marie Chantal, the conversion was "mandatory", she is the Crown Princess of the Royal House, and in the rest, Carlos and Tatiana has been more a question of "tradition", I don't know how I could describe it ... but it has been something "voluntary".

The conversion to the Orthodox rite of Princess Marie-chantal was in New York, and that of Carlos and Tatiana was in London , it is a private act.

If the future husband of theodora voluntarily decides, not to change his religion, then two ceremonies must be held.

For example:
Markos Nomikos and Princess Victoria of Borborn-two Sicilies, she did not convert, married for the Catholic rite in Spain, and a week later in Athens for the Orthodox rite.

With Princess Theodora there could be TWO CEREMONIES.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Courtier

I vaguely remember hearing that Carlos did not convert and as a result Princess Alexia and her children are not in the line of succession to the British throne while the rest of the family is.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Conversion is not necessary, an orthodox person can marry a person who belongs to another faith, this is not a problem today, it is not necessary a religious conversion event.

I see it more as an act of loyalty to the Greek Royal Family, I believe that in the case of Marie Chantal, the conversion was "mandatory", she is the Crown Princess of the Royal House, and in the rest, Carlos and Tatiana has been more a question of "tradition", I don't know how I could describe it ... but it has been something "voluntary".

The conversion to the Orthodox rite of Princess Marie-chantal was in New York, and that of Carlos and Tatiana was in London , it is a private act.

If the future husband of theodora voluntarily decides, not to change his religion, then two ceremonies must be held.

For example:
Markos Nomikos and Princess Victoria of Borborn-two Sicilies, she did not convert, married for the Catholic rite in Spain, and a week later in Athens for the Orthodox rite.

With Princess Theodora there could be TWO CEREMONIES.
I am not sure that two ceremonies 'must' be held if they don't share the same denomination. While the Catholic church might require a 'catholic marriage' for it to be accepted as a valid marriage - and an orthodox marriage would be expected of a Greek princess, the Anglican/Episcopal and all/most other protestant churches do not require additional ceremonies for it to be valid/recognized by the church. And I am not aware of any information suggesting that Matthew is Roman Catholic (as far as I know, his religious affiliation is unknown; although it is unlikely that he grew up Greek Orthodox).
Old 12-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

According to Theodora's Instagram they had a 'blessing the groom' ceremony in India in early March.