Royal Tombs of France

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princely Tombs at the Collégiale Saint-Georges de Vendôme

Jean of Bourbon-La Marche (1344 – 11 June 1393) and Catherine de Vendôme (1354 – 1 April 1412)

Jan_Katerina_Vendome.jpg

Joint tombs of René d'Anjou Duke of Bar , Duke of Lorraine, Duke of Anjou, Count of Provence,(1409-1480)& Isabella de Lorraine (1400-1453)
at Cathédrale Saint-Maurice d'Angers.Both tombs were pillaged and destroyed by Revolutionaries in 1793 and the remains dumped.

ReneAnjou.jpg

Anne de Bourgogne,Duchess of Bedford died in November 1432 and was buried at the now destroyed Couvent des Célestins de Paris,her tomb effigy was salvaged and in now housed at the Louvre.

Gagnieres_AnnaBurgundy.jpg

The now lost tomb of Queen Brunhilda ( 543–613) at the Abbey Saint-Martin of Autun.The Tomb and abbey were destroyed in 1793 during the Revolution.

358px-Tombeau_de_la_reine_Brunehaut.jpg

Tomb of King Louis the Pious (778 – 20 June 840) at the Abbey of Saint-Arnould.The tomb was desecrated and destroyed in 1793.

Tombeau_de_l%27empereur_Louis_le_Pieux.jpg

The bronze tomb of Charles II (d.877) at St Denis survived until August 1792 when it was violated and removed and later melted down .

CharlestheBald.jpg

The now destroyed tomb of Marie de Bourbon-Dampierre,Countess de Dreux († 1274) at l'Abbatiale Saint-Yved de Braine.

Marie_de_Bourbon-Dampierre.jpg

Such a pity that such treasures are lost….

:previous: I agree. I am disgusted and amazed that anyone would destroy part of their country's history. ..let alone a TOMB...:bang::ermm:

The tombs were symbols of the detested Ancien Régime and many had survived the 100 years war and Calvinist rampages of the 1560's.

Adèle de Vermandois,Countess of Flanders was herself a granddaughter of king Robert I and died in 960 and was buried at l'abbaye Saint Pierre in Ghent but the tomb was destroyed in 1796 during the French occupation.

AdelaVermandois.jpg

The Collégiale Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Laurent d'Eu in Eu was the traditional burial site for the Counts d'Eu and miraculously some of the tombs have survived and now house in the crypt but are not as elaborate as the once were.

The original tomb of Isabella d'Artois,Comtesse d'Eu (1288-1344)

Isabela_Eu.jpg

Blessed Marguerite of Lorraine-Vaudémont,duchess of Alençon the great-grandmother of King Henri IV of France became a Poor Clare in her widowhood.Marguerite died in 1521 and was buried at the church of Saint-Germain d'Argentan in Paris .In 1793 her tomb was violated and destroyed her remains dumped in a common pit and lost.In 1921 she was declared blessed after much campaigning.

Margaret_of_Lorraine.jpg

The Counts of Toulouse were buried at the Chapelle sépulcrale des Comtes de Toulouse at the Basilique Saint-Sernin in Toulouse ,sadly it was ransacked and violated during the French Revolution.

315px-thumbnail.jpg

An Ard Ri,
Could you provide a picture of our Princess Marguerite , daughter of our beloved Duchess Marie de Bourgogne. She could have been Queen of Spain but the Infant died, Queen of France but the Dauphin died, and She married her beau Philibert de Savoie who passed away to.
She was our Governess , a time of peace for our Country.
When she passed away whe wanted to be next to her Philibert in Brou en Bresse.
Could you provide their tombs because I saw it when I was Young. She asked the best belgian Craftsmen to do the two sculptures and they were not destroyed. Thanks MO

An Ard Ri,
Could you provide a picture of our Princess Marguerite , daughter of our beloved Duchess Marie de Bourgogne. She could have been Queen of Spain but the Infant died, Queen of France but the Dauphin died, and She married her beau Philibert de Savoie who passed away to.
She was our Governess , a time of peace for our Country.
When she passed away whe wanted to be next to her Philibert in Brou en Bresse.
Could you provide their tombs because I saw it when I was Young. She asked the best belgian Craftsmen to do the two sculptures and they were not destroyed. Thanks MO

Tomb of Margaret of Austria, in the church of Saint-Nicolas-de-Tolentin de Brou .

Margaret_of_Austria.png

Her mother Marguerite de Bourbon is also buried there and more importantly the remains of Marguerite,Philippe II and Marguerites mother were never discovered by Revolutionary soldiers and their coffins were rediscovered under the choir in the mid 19th century and were repaired.

Tomb of Marguerite de Bourbon
Brou_margerita.jpg

Thanks , I just read that the tombs were renovated . Cost 164.000 euros

Thanks , I just read that the tombs were renovated . Cost 164.000 euros

Lucky you to have seen those magnificent tombs in person at the Royal Abbey of Brou en Bresse!

It was with my parents , it was a bit of our royal history we learned at School...

The Tomb of Philippe II of Savoy

640px-Brou_Filibert.jpg

Its quite miraculous that the tomb monuments,mortal remains and Royal Abbey church are still standing having withstood the ravages and wanton destruction of the French Revolution.

Thanks the Lord all these beautiful tombs were preserved !

Yes it is ,so many were vandalized and lost completely as they were symbols of the outlawed Ancien Régime.

The Priory of Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul de Souvigny houses the burial site of the Dukes of Bourbon in the heart of the old former province of the Bourbonnais.The church has survived but was badly damaged and tombs were defaced during the revolution.

The tomb of Charles I de Bourbon et Agnes de Burgogne

Karel_Anezka.jpg

Tomb of Louis II de Bourbon and Anne de Forez

Sauvigny.jpg

Buried in the crypt are the remains of Anne de France (daughter of Louis XI) Regent of France,her husband Pierre de Bourbon and their daughter Suzanne.Their coffins seem to have escaped the Revolutionary mobs however their tomb effigies were destroyed.

The now lost tomb of Henry Ier,Count of Champagne at the now destroyed Collegiate church of Saint-Étienne in Troyes.The tomb was badly damaged by the Huguenots in 1583 but was completely destroyed in February 1792 when the Collegiate church was ransacked during the revolution and pulled down.The remains of Henri Ier and his second son Thibaut III were later rediscovered and buried at Troyes Cathedral in 1844.

Henri_I_Liberal_tombeau_coll%C3%A9giale_etienne_troyes.png

Blanche de Navarre, Countess of Champagne the widow of Thibaut III of Champagne was interred at the Notre-Dame d'Argensolles Abbey in 1229.The abbey was suppressed and destroyed during the REvolution.

256px-Blanche_de_champagne_gisant_argensolles_bmr_70302.jpg

The tomb of Olivier de Clisson ,Comte de Porhoët +1407 and his wife wife at Basilique Notre Dame du Roncier, the tomb survived the revolution but the remains were dumped in a common pit by a mob in 1793.

Tombeau_d%27Olivier_de_Clisson_et_de_Marguerite_de_Rohan.png

The Tombs of Valentina Visconti & Louis de Orleáns ,Duc d'Orleáns were originally housed at the now destroyed Couvent des Célestins in Paris but were salvaged and rehoused at St Denis during the Bourbon restoration.

ValentinaOrleans.jpg

The tomb of Louis de la Tremoille, d. 1524, and wife Gabrielle de Bourbon, d. 1516 at Notre-Dame de Thouars.Their son Charles de la Trémoille who died in 1515 is also buried with them. Louis was killed at the Battle of Pavia in 1525.

Tremoille_Bourbon.jpg

Last edited:
The now destroyed tombs of Bertrand VI d'Auvergne(d1497) and Louise de la Trémoille (1474) at the also destroyed Abbaye du Bouschet-Vauluisant.

286px-Tombeau_Bertrand_VI_d%27Auvergne_et_Louise_de_la_Tr%C3%A9moille.jpg

Bertrand VI,Count d'Auvergne was the great grandfather of Queen Catherine de Médicis

The Abbaye du Bouschet-Vauluisant served as the necropolis of the Counts of Auvergne and families over the centuries.It was pillaged and torn down during the Terror.

Tomb of Robert IV Comte d'Auvergne

295px-Tombeau_Robert_IV_d%27Auvergne.jpg

Back
Top Bottom