Royal Families of France 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've moved Russian's concerns about the "legitimist claim" in Russia in the rightful subforum, here.

I remind everyone this post is for news about the French Royal Families. If you want to discuss about the legitimity of a claim in any country, please feel free to use the appropriate forum and the appropriate thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Danielane,

French Royalty Moderator

Charles Phillipe d'Orleans

I read somewhere he has been seen with Diana de Cadaval lately. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks! Just wondering if we will see a princely marriage in Portugal in the near future...

Aneca said:
I read somewhere he has been seen with Diana de Cadaval lately. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!
Yes, there is a picture of Prince Charles-Philippe with Diana, Duchesse de Cardaval in this week's Point de Vue (#3029). It is in a spread on Princess Beatrice d'Orléans and her family's holiday in the Costa del Sol.

The French Royal Family and The Spainish Royal Family both carry the same last name Bourbon now I was surprised to find that out I thought all royal families had different names while Spain has a reigning royal family and their monarchy is reigning , France ' s former royal family does not have to worry about has much as the spainish royal does.

When there are so many families leading so many separate places that's when you see the names hyphenated like Bourbon-Parma, Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Hapsburg-Tuscany, etc. But I don't recall the top families, France and Spain, being hyphenated ?

Last edited:
Next Star said:
The French Royal Family and The Spainish Royal Family both carry the same last name Bourbon now I was surprised to find that out I thought all royal families had different names while Spain has a reigning royal family and their monarchy is reigning , France ' s former royal family does not have to worry about has much as the spainish royal does.
To be precise :till Charles X, the French royal family carried the name Bourbon. King Louis Philippe was an Orléans, and his family carries the name Orléans. The other claimer to the french throne carries the name Bourbon (or Borbon, as you like it).
I should precise that for a very long while, the french Royal family didn't carry any name.

You have been kidding me all families carry a last name it might not be Bourbon but they must have a some type of last name most people have a first, middle, and last name while others having many names.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not kidding you at all. It is an historical fact well known by the historians that before the French Revolution the French Royal family had no last name. Now we call her family de Bourbon, but no name at all was used by her, because she had no one. It is a complicated matter but it is a fact.

But, when Count Hugh Capet was elected King of France, he kept the surname - thus the Capetian dynasty. Hence, when Louis XVI was deposed, he was known as "Citizen Capet."

Who was head of state during the French Revolution and who give them the name Bourbon?

Next Star said:
Who was head of state during the French Revolution and who give them the name Bourbon?

The Jacobins overthrew the French monarchy and they were led by several leaders, including Robespierre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Bourbon

The Bourbon name came into use when Henry IV of Navarre succeeded to the French throne (he was distantly descended from French royalty), and his surname was Bourbon.

The point is precisely the Bourbon name wasn't at all in use when one spoke of the king or onr of his relatives. See my post below.

The French royal family are the unamed royals so when they talked of the royal family they just went by their first names and nothing else ? It is still mind blogging to me.

Next Star said:
The French royal family are the unamed royals so when they talked of the royal family they just went by their first names and nothing else ? It is still mind blogging to me.

Yes, one said "Louis, king of France". That was all.

The French royals seem to prefer to emphasise their descent from Hugues Capet rather than use the House/dynasty name of Bourbon or Orléans.
As they are the direct descendants of Capet (King of France from 987 to 996), it serves to reinforce their ancient Capetian lineage.

The "other duke of Anjou", Charles-Philippe d'Orléans, has been arrested yesterday: he is accused of slenderous denunciation (having falsely accused someone), having produced false papers and having taken someone's identity. He is currently questionned by policemen.

I remind everyone that according the French law (and the human rights), his innocence is presumed as long as he has not been declared guilty.

So he is accused of slenderous denunciation (having falsely accused someone), having produced false papers and having taken someone's identity. Nice...
(I suppose the identification-thing isn't a matter brought up by the other Duc de Anjou ;)). Didn't the other Duc of ANjou denounce this ones order of St. Lazare last week to btw?

Quite ironic that Charles-Phillipe featured in last weeks Point de Vue and Hola! with his girlfriend, the Duchess of Cadaval (Diane, not Rosalinda ;)).

This affair is apparently not related to Luis Alfonso de Borbon.

CP of Orléans has been formally charged today.

And he has been released to (or so I read on the Franco-Iberian Royals MB)

Marengo said:
And he has been released to (or so I read on the Franco-Iberian Royals MB)

Yes. He's free, and can live France if he wants.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Quite ironic that Charles-Phillipe featured in last weeks Point de Vue and Hola! with his girlfriend, the Duchess of Cadaval (Diane, not Rosalinda ;)).
Yes, Diana is the eldest daughter of the late Duke of Cadaval with Claudine Fritz, although Rosalinda (married to Hubert Guerrand-Hermès, the heir of the House Hermès) is actually the eldest daughter of D. Jaime, but born from his first marriage, which was just a civil wedding.

There was a dispute on the succession to the title, since it was Diana (born from the Catholic marriage) and not Rosalinda (born from the first marriage) to inherit the title. At the time, the Duke of Bragança had to decide on who would inherit the Duchy of Cadaval, based on D. Jaime's wish.

Just a note here to add that, after Charles-Philippe's trouble with the law, the couple had already attended the Ball of The Order of Malta, in Lisbon.

Last edited:
Thank you Benjamin for the Orléans-Oldenburg links, and thanks Elsa for the Cadaval clarification.

It is interesting that the Duke of Bragança was called to adjudicate the question of who was the rightful inheritor of the Cadaval ducal title, and not a court of law.
I assume the "losing" party accepted the Duke's decision with good grace?

Since Portugal no longer has noble titles, they're not a matter decided in courts. All things related to it are decided by an entity named Conselho da Nobreza (a kind of Noble Court), which has its highest figure in the Duke of Bragança (i.e., the heir of the throne).
I'm not sure about the details of the agreement that was reached between the parts, but, from what I read in the press, the Duke of Bragança had considered a kind of "salomonic" sentence, dividing the various titles of D. Jaime (Duke of Cadaval, Marquis of Ferreira, Count of Tentúgal) among his 4 children.
Diana Pereira de Melo inherited the Duchy of Cadaval, according to her father's wish.

Princess Genevieve d'Orleans

I would like to know if anybody has a picture of her in a tiara or of her mother Princess Henriette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom