Luis Alfonso de Borbón and Family (Duke and Duchess of Anjou) 1: Sept 2003-Nov 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess wore black to see the Pope? I thought female Catholic royalty wore white?
No, only the wives of CAtholic Soverigns; today only
HM Queen Paola of the Belgians
HM Queen Fabiola of Belgium
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HRH Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxemburg

The privelege is also extended to Princesses of the House of Savoy and maybe Archduchesses of Austria (someone correct me if this is wrong) and certain Italian noble or princely families. The Princess of Naples (Marina) wore white in an audience with the Pope after the law of exile was revoked. It's no longer obligatory to wear black or white to see the Pope, but people still do out of tradition.
Maybe the Duchess of Segovia might have been able to wear white if she claimed her Legitimist title as "Queen of France"? But I think the privilège du blanc might have started after the end of the French monarchy so it doesn't apply to her.

I think it is extended to the wives of the pretenders to Catholic Thrones; it isn't obligatory for other women to wear in black, but...when Cherie Blair wore white a little scandal took place

Last edited by a moderator:
maria margarita looks lovely, as always. it was nice to see little eugenia, although not very clearly! hopefully there will be pics soon.

MAfan , you are right for Belgium , Spain and Luxembourg because they are RHH
But not the Princesses of Monaco and liechtenstein because they are SHH.

MAfan , you are right for Belgium , Spain and Luxembourg because they are RHH
But not the Princesses of Monaco and liechtenstein because they are SHH.
But the Princesses of Monaco and Liechtenstein can wear white...or not? They are Catholic Sovereigns...

Never , because you have to be Royal Highnesses and they are not.
That was easy to see in 1978 when this year we had two Popes .

Aubisse, your pictures are beautiful. Did Carmen and her new husband show up ??

But the Princesses of Monaco and Liechtenstein can wear white...or not? They are Catholic Sovereigns...
My understanding is that it applies to 'Catholic Queens' with special dispensations to the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg and Princesses of Savoy.
Of course special dispensations may have been given to other individuals or families which are only known to the people concerned and the Vatican Protocol officials.

Who are the men in the right of the photos and the two women with the Duchess of Segovia?

Aubisse: may I ask, who are those people on the picture. (Other then the Pope, the Duke and Duchess of Anjou and their daughter.)

Thanks,
Josette

I think it is extended to the wives of the pretenders to Catholic Thrones; it isn't obligatory for other women to wear in black, but...when Cherie Blair wore white a little scandal took place

I am not sure about that.

Everytime HRH The Duchess of Bragança had an audience with the Pope, she wore black.

The man at the right of the right is said to be Xavier Bureau, our beloved duke's secretary. The first lady at the left is Carmen Vargas, our beloved Duchess' Mother.

A reminder that the posting of copyrighted photos without the written permission of the copyright owner to do so is not only against the Forum rules but is ILLEGAL and places the Forums at risk of a breach of copyright lawsuit.

Such photos, including those posted earlier today, have been and will be deleted.

Warren
Royal Forums Administrator

What a lovely couple and at least in these photos you can see Luis Alfonso, smiling. Their little girl is adorable.

What? Luis Alfonso even doesn't have driver? lol
But the pictures are nice. Maria Margarita seems to have the hand put down on the thigh of her husband. Luis Alfonso is thoughtful.
It's a pity that Eugenia's face is blurried on the pic.

To Warren,

You are right I shouldn't have post the pictures. And it's easier to post just the link. Thanks to Guy Stair Sainty for all these good and lively pictures.

Indeed, we owe thanks to Mr Guy Stair Sainty for many things. :)

Time for a new thread.

Louis Alfonso de Bourbon and Family 2, commencing November 2008, can be found here.

¤

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom