Henri, Comte de Paris (1933-2019), Head of the Royal House of France, wives & family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it is King Louis IX of France (1214-1270), who became King as a child in 1226 and who was proclaimed Saint in 1297. He is the only King of France who has been canonized as a Saint, so I think it is this one.

Yes, it would refer to Louis IX. Both he and his younger sister Isabelle were canonized. The church in question has a statue of Isabelle and now they have added one of Louis.

Nice thoughts on being a pretender, by M Bernard Lhôte. The last two alineas:

[...]
An ordinary citizen in the Republic, but not completely because in the eye he holds the air of nothing - and an extra-ordinary individual in the imagination of his fellow citizens, be they hostile or sympathizers. The pretender suffers and enjoys this ambivalence. Because, currently, the function does not have only disadvantages. The secondary benefits, psychological and social, are not slim. Being surrounded by sincere loyalties and constant animosities, receiving many signs of positive and negative acknowledgments: that is royal! This condition closes doors for him, but he opens others, and probably more. He is able, if he likes it, thanks to his relations and the most unexpected connivance from people in principle opposed, to visit and know his country from top to bottom: its companies, its laboratories, its associations, its institutions, its schools, its academies, its armies ...

As for the view towards Europe and the open sea, they are, for a capétien, at hand. In all the countries where France, by its history, has marked the destiny of a people, or an elite, or a minority, the pretender feels mysterious and disturbing acquaintances, which are most often perfectly perceived by the interlocutors he meets there. Finally, the identification with a lineage and a nation rich in dramas, achievements, glories, painful or consoling memories, if it can be overwhelming, it is also perfectly exalting, transcendent. Although promoted by historical assets, its function is fully up to date. It addresses a merry footfall to its sufficiency modernity. "You have to live with your time", said the parrot. "We are with time", said the Prince.

:flowers:

La prétendance au trône de France - Le blog de La Couronne

This Saturday 4 November the Count of Paris and his wife Countess Micaela, inaugurated the exhibition: "Louis Philippe at Fontainebleau" at the royal and imperial castle of Fontainebleau. For the occasion, the Count was also accompanied by his sister Princess Chantal and his brother-in-law Baron François-Xavier de Sambucy of Sorgue.

https://www.la-couronne.org/actuali...e-lexposition-louis-philippe-a-fontainebleau/

Princess Chantal with her husband Baron Francois Xavier de Sanbucy de Sorgues attended the reopening of The Marigny Theatre in Paris yesterday, November 22:

** Pic **

Princess Chantal with her husband Baron Francois Xavier de Sanbucy de Sorgues attended the installation of Muriel Mayette-Holtz elected Member of the "Free section" of The "Academie des Beaux-Arts" in the chair previously occupied by Maurice Bejart at "Academie des Beaux-Arts" in Paris yesterday, May 15:

** Pic **

How thin she looks, she doesn't appear to be in good health... I hope I am wrong.

Nice to see her apparently being in good health....

"Madam the Dowager Countess of Paris, this Saturday in the church of Saint-Germain l'Auxerois. His Royal Highness had come to the parish of the kings of France to attend a mass given in memory of her husband, the late Count of Paris Henri VII of France"

My God, how she has aged ! Normal of course but she doesn't look healthy. I hope I am wrong.

I am sorry for her family. Let her be in peace.

I wonder where will be her funerals ? at Dreux ??

in 1990 , she was Princesse de Joinville
in 1999 , she was SAR Duchesse de France, Princesse de Joinville
in 2002 , she was SAR la Comtesse de Paris , Duchesse de France
in 2019 until 13/3/2022 she was SAR la comtesse douairière de Paris, Duchesse de France

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did the late dowager Countess's father-in-law originally not approve the marriage as dynastic, and why did he subsequently award a personal title to her (was it in order to discourage her from using that of her husband)?

As an English speaker, the message of condolence from the Count of Paris gives me somewhat of a sense that he was not very close to his stepmother or stepbrother, but the tone might be lost in translation.

As an aside, it is interesting that both the Orléans and Bourbon pretenders are calling wives by their own given names and not traditionally by their husbands' given names.

Not a warm message at all. He don't like her at Dreux at she will rest for ever at St Jean de Luz.
What a family without a heart !

Back
Top Bottom