Execution of Elisabeth de France (3 May 1764 - 10 May 1794)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Execution of Elisabeth de France-10 May 1794

The youngest sister of Louis XVI was executed on May 10th,1794.Her remains were dumped in a Mass grave and never found

Princess Élisabeth of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apres_pellegrini.jpg

Élisabeth Philippine Marie Hélène de France was born on May 3rd 1764 the youngest child of Louis, Dauphin of France and Marie-Josèphe of Saxony.

Joseph_Ducreux%2C_Madame_%C3%89lisabeth_%281768%29.jpg

Elisabeth could have married a Prince of Savoy and joined her sister Clotilde in Sardinia, but she had no wish to marry and the match ultimately fell through. She was briefly considered as a potential wife for Emperor Joseph II of Austria after his first wife died. He didn't like her and she didn't like him, so that match fell through too. She wanted to become a nun, but her brother Louis XVI begged her not to take the veil and to stay by his side. She did so, and her love and devotion cost poor Elisabeth her life.

From what I have read of her courage and her devout, unflinching faith in the face of the brutality the French Royal family was subjected to in the Temple, I am very surprised her cause for canonization has not been advanced in Rome.:ermm:

From what I have read of her courage and her devout, unflinching faith in the face of the brutality the French Royal family was subjected to in the Temple, I am very surprised her cause for canonization has not been advanced in Rome.:ermm:

I'm not 100% certain but don't they need proof of a miracle or two for Sainthoods,Elisabeth's naked body was dumped in mass grave and was never found following an extensive search in 1817 on the orders of her brother Louis XVIII.

Pity as I'm sure the Bourbons would love to have had a Saint-Princess in the family tree following their Restoration in 1815!

Among the countless crimes committed by the first French Republic the murder of HRH Princess Elizabeth goes beyond the pale of decent civilized behavior. May Her Royal Highness rest in peace.

I'm not 100% certain but don't they need proof of a miracle or two for Sainthoods,Elisabeth's naked body was dumped in mass grave and was never found following an extensive search in 1817 on the orders of her brother Louis XVIII.

Pity as I'm sure the Bourbons would love to have had a Saint-Princess in the family tree following their Restoration in 1815!

Yes, you are right. That has always troubled me about the way the Roman Church selects martyrs for canonization. I like the way the Eastern Rite and Orthodox Churches do it much better...a transparently holy life, sometimes ending with martyrdom...are the most important requirements.

It seems much more authentic that way. JMHO.

Yes, you are right. That has always troubled me about the way the Roman Church selects martyrs for canonization. I like the way the Eastern Rite and Orthodox Churches do it much better...a transparently holy life, sometimes ending with martyrdom...are the most important requirements.

It seems much more authentic that way. JMHO.

Part of thinks that the RC church would rather forget what happened in the French Revolution and all the power/property and clergy it lost!

Poor Elisabeth dumped in a mass grave at least there's a memorial to her at the Chapel of the Conciergerie.

http://www.galerie.roi-president.com/albums/paris-2005/conciergerie/normal_conciergerie-memorial-madame-elisabeth-soeur-louis-xvi.JPG

Elizabeth de France

Her death reminded me that of another saintly woman Ella, sister of tsarina Alexandra of Russia. How awful to kill these women who had done nothing wrong, except for their names and birth.

Such a pity that her remains were never found following the searches after the Bourbon Restoration that recovered so many others.

I don't believe Elisabeth died for religious reasons so she isnt a religious martyr; isn't that one of the things that has to occur?

I don't believe Elisabeth died for religious reasons so she isnt a religious martyr; isn't that one of the things that has to occur?

French Royalist literature following the Bourbon Restoration did portray her as a Catholic Royal martyr,whilst there's no doubting the Princess was a devout Roman Catholic she was not executed solely because of her faith,her devotion to her brother and the monarchy brought her to the guillotine.

In fact, the Cause of Beatification of Élisabeth was introduced in 1924, but has not yet been completed.

Back
Top Bottom