Doña Francisca de Bragança, princesse de Joinville (1824-1898)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quivivefrance

City
le beausset
Country
France
Good Afternoon,
This painting was purchased in 2005 by the City of Paris was in a private collection in Rio Brazil. It is now in the Museum of Romantic Life in Paris. On the site of the museum you can read this comment:
Doña Francisca de Bragança, Princess of Joinville
Francisca_Joinville.jpg
vie-ro10.jpg

by Ary Scheffer, 1844
oil on canvas

Born in 1824 in Rio de Janeiro, Francisca de Bragança, Infanta Princess of Brazil and Portugal is the daughter of Emperor Pedro I of Brazil and his first wife Maria Leopoldina, Archduchess of Austria. Younger sister of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil, she married at age 19 on 1 May 1843, Rio de Janeiro, Franz Ferdinand-Philippe d'Orléans (1818-1900), prince de Joinville third son of King Louis-Philippe and Queen Marie-Amelie, who came to stay in Brazil.

Captain and Constantine in Algeria on La Belle Poule in 1837, the Prince de Joinville had been charged in 1840 of the transfer of the remains of Napoleon from St. Helena to Paris.
Revenue in France since 1843 and forced into exile after the revolution of February 1848, the Prince and Princess of Joinville in 1861 sailed for the United States to return to France in 1870. The prince fought so against Prussia. Elected to the National Assembly in 1871, it will be reinstated in his rank of Vice-Admiral in 1872.
The Princess died in Paris March 27, 1898. She is buried at the royal chapel of Dreux St. Louis. Her husband will join two years later.
On his arrival in Paris, Princess of Joinville, aged 20, probably arises here in the studio in the Rue Chaptal for this portrait. She wears the badge Brazilian Grand Cross of the Imperial Order of the Southern Cross and the Cross Star of Austria, the blue scarf, pink and black imperial orders of Brazil.
The choice of the painter Ary Scheffer confirmed the links of friendship that the artist had been able to establish in 1821 with the royal family.

This portrait from direct line of descent of the Princesse de Joinville and in a perfect state of preservation, was purchased by the City of Paris in May 2005. It beautifully complements all devoted to the family of Orleans, as Ary Scheffer was long one of the official artists, is also the tutor of the daughters of King Louis-Philippe.
crocestell-vi.jpg

Ordre of the Noble Cross of Austria.

If I agree to the description of orders it covers the chest, the ribbons worn slung leave me more skeptical. I agree that the first blue sky (Southern Cross), the other pink and white (Order of the Rose) and contrast the last three white stripes black has nothing to Brazil. I think rather the order of Queen Louise of Prussia, reserved for noble women. What is your opinion? But perhaps there is someone close to Paris and this museum and we could do some shots of detail to illuminate the subject. Because it is very difficult to distinguish the cross worn under the arm of the princess.
luisen10.jpg
Grosskreuz_Luisenorden_a.jpg

Order of Louise

The following is a partial list of members compiled from the Prussian State Handbook, from the years 1874 through 1907:
Kaiserin Augusta, wearing the Prussian state regalia, and the Order of Louise (on her left shoulder). Portrait by Franz Xavier Winterhalter, ca. 1861
Luise, Prinzessin von Preussen, Grand Duchess of Baden, wearing the Order of Louise. Portrait by Franz Xavier Winterhalter, ca. 1856
Maria, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Duchess of Flanders, wearing the Order of Louise

* Alexandrine, Princess of Prussia (1803 - 1892) - daughter of King Friedrich Wilhelm III and Queen Luise; Grand Duchess and consort of Paul Friedrich, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin; mother of Friedrich Franz II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
* Elizabeth, Princess of Prussia (1815 - 1885) - daughter of Prince Wilhelm of Prussia; granddaughter of Friedrich Wilhelm II; niece of Friedrich Wilhelm III; cousin of Friedrich Wilhelm IV and Kaiser Wilhelm I; wife of Prince Karl of Hesse and by Rhine; mother of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine
* Marie, Princess of Prussia (1825 - 1889) – daughter of Prince Wilhelm of Prussia; cousin of Friedrich Wilhelm IV and Kaiser Wilhelm I; Queen consort of Maximilian II of Bavaria; mother of Ludwig II
* Kaiserin Augusta (nee Augusta Marie Luise Katharina von Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, 1811 - 1890)– Chief of the Order, Queen and Empress consort of Kaiser Wilhelm I
* Anna, Princess of Prussia (1836 - 1918) – daughter of Karl, Prince of Prussia; granddaughter of Friedrich Wilhelm III; consort of Landgraf Friedrich Wilhelm of Hesse
* Luise, Princess of Prussia (1838 – 1923) – daughter of Wilhelm I, grand duchess and consort of Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden; Dame Grand Cross
* Princess Josephine of Baden – consort of Sovereign Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern
* Kaiserin Victoria (1840 - 1901)– daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Great Britain; Princess Royal of Great Britain; consort of Kaiser Friedrich III
* Charlotte, Princess of Prussia (1860 - 1919) – oldest daughter of Friedrich III, consort of Bernhard III of Saxe-Meiningen
* Viktoria, Princess of Prussia (1866 - 1929) – second daughter of Friedrich III; consort of Prince Adolf of Schaumburg-Lippe
* Sophie, Princess of Prussia (1870 - 1932) – third daughter of Friedrich III; Queen consort of King Constantine I of Greece
* Margarethe, Princess of Prussia (1872 - 1954) – youngest daughter of Friedrich III; consort of Friedrich Karl, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse
* Luise Margarethe, Princess of Prussia (1860 - 1917) – daughter of Friedrich Karl, Prince of Prussia; great-granddaughter of Friedrich Wilhelm III; Duchess of Connaught as wife and consort of Prince Arthur of Great Britain, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn
* Alexandrine, Princess of Prussia (1842 - 1892) – daughter of Prince Albrecht (1809 - 1872) and Marie, sister of Prince Albrecht (1837 - 1906)
* Marie von Sachsen-Altenburg (1854 - 1898) – daughter of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg; wife of Prince Albrecht of Prussia (1837 - 1906)
* Kaiserin Augusta Victoria (1858 - 1921)– Chief of the Order, consort of Wilhelm II
* Luise Sophie von Schlesweig-Holstein (1866 - 1952) – wife of Friedrich Leopold, Prince of Prussia; sister of Empress Augusta Victoria
* Irene von Hessen – wife of Prince Heinrich of Prussia; sister-in-law of Wilhelm II
* Viktoria Margarethe, Princess of Prussia (1890 - 1923) – daughter of Friedrich Leopold; great-great-granddaughter of Friedrich Wilhelm III
* Viktoria Luise, Princess of Prussia (1892 - 1980) – only daughter of Wilhelm II; Grand Duchess and consort of Ernst August, Herzog von Braunschweig und Luneberg (Duke of Brunswick)
* Cecile of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1886 - 1954) – wife and Crown Princess of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia; daughter-in-law of Wilhelm II
* Sophie Charlotte von Oldenburg (1879 - 1964) – wife of Prince Eitel Friedrich of Prussia
* Maria, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1845 - 1912) – daughter of Sovereign Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen; sister of Sovereign Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern; wife of Prince Philippe of Belgium, Duke of Flanders; mother of Albert I, King of the Belgians
* Antonia, Infanta of Portugal (1845 - 1913) – consort of Sovereign Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern
* Elizabeth, Princess of Wied (1843 - 1916) – wife of Karl, Prince of Hohenzollern; sister-in-law of Sovereign Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen; Luisen-Orden RmK1 (with Br)
* Luise, Princess of Thurn & Taxis (born 1859) – wife of Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen; sister-in-law of Sovereign Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern
* Maria Teresa di Borbone, Princess of the Two Sicilies (1867 - 1909) – daughter of Prince Louis, Count of Trani; consort of Sovereign Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
* Josefine, Princess of Belgium (born 1872) – daughter of Prince Philippe of Belgium, Duke of Flanders, and Maria, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Duchess of Flanders; wife of Karl Anton, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
:bang:
Thanks for your help!

Jérôme

Wasn't Doña Francisca the second wife of Carlos Maria Isidro, brother of King Fernando VII of Spain, and first Carlist claimant to the Spanish throne?

Last edited:
Wasn't Doña Francisca the second wife of Carlos Maria Isidro, brother of King Fernando VII of Spain, and first Carlist claimant to the Spanish throne?

No, that one is Maria Teresa Francisca of Portugal, the paternal aunt of this Francisca.

Please don't put a "til" "~" on the "n" :eek:.

Spanish people do it. Portuguese people do not. I is "Dona" and sounds just like in italian :cool:

Dona Francisca Carolina Joana Leopoldina Romana Xavier de Paula Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Gonzaga de Bragança - Princess of Brasil and Infanta of Portugal - was born at the Imperial Palace of São Cristóvão in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on 2 August 1824. She was the fourth daughter of Pedro I, (Emperor) of Brazil and IV (King) of Portugal and his first wife Maria Leopoldine Erzherzogin von Österreich. Her youngest brother was Emperor Pedro II of Brazil and her older sister was Queen Maria II of Portugal. She was also a first cousin of Princess Maria Carolina of the Two Sicilies, Napoleon II of France and Franz Joseph I of Austria.

Dona Francisca was named after the São Francisco River, the largest river running wholly within Brazil. She lost her mother Empress Leopoldina when she was less than three years old. When she was seven, her father,D. Pedro I abdicated as Emperor of Brazil on 7 April 1831 and left to Portugal with her stepmother Amélie of Leuchtenberg and her older sister, the future Maria II of Portugal, leaving her behind with her other sisters and brother, the future Pedro II of Brazil.

Dona Francisca married François d'Orléans, Prince of Joinville, the third son of Louis Philippe I and his Italian Queen Maria Amalia of Naples. The bride was 19, the groom 25. The Prince of Joinville was 1st cousin to the Empress Leopoldina (wife of D. Pedro I) and also to the Empress Dona Teresa Cristina Maria (wife of D. Pedro II) , as the Prince and both Empresses were all grandchildren of Ferdinando I, King of the two Sicilies and his first wife Maria Carolina, Archduchess of Austria.

They had three children. Their daughter Princess Françoise-Marie Amélie of Orléans (14 August 1844 - 28 October 1925) married her first cousin Robert, Duke of Chartres and became the mother of the Orléanist pretender Prince Jean, Duke of Guise. Through her daughter, she is an ancestor of Prince Henri, Count of Paris, pretender to the French throne and King Juan Carlos I of Spain. It is unknown whether her son Prince Pierre-Philippe Jean Marie of Orléans, Duke of Penthièvre (4 November 1845 - 17 July 1919) ever married. When the Orléans family fled from France, they settled in England living at Claremont. It was there that Princess Francisca gave birth to a still born daughter, Princess Marie-Léopoldine of Orléans (30 October 1849). During the rule of the House of Bonaparte on the Second Empire, the Orléans family returned to France. Princess Francisca died in Paris aged 73 in 1898. Her husband outlived her by two years dying in Paris in 1900.

The Prince of Joinville was in Brazil on 3 occasions. The first one was in 1837-1838, when he first met the young and beautiful Brazilian Princess Francisca Carolina, daughter of Emperor D. Pedro I. He was an officer in the Hercule, a late 100-gun ship of the line of the French Navy, lead ship of her class. It was captained by Joseph Grégoire Casy, Hercule distinguished herself in 1837 by beating in Rio de Janeiro and Newport. He described his impressions of Brazil and the Brazilian Court in notebooks he called Journal du Séjour. The French prince felt in love with the princess and he wrote “about the 13 year old D. Pedro II, 15 year old Dona Francisca and 17 year old Dona Januaria; L’Empereur et les Princesses sont blonds et petits, l’Empereur a beaucoup de la famille autrichienne. Quant aux petites, elles étaient fagottées à la diable.” At the party thrown in his honor at Quinta da Boa Vista Palace, he danced all dances with Dona Francisca. The second occasion he was in Brazil was 1840 commanding the frigate La Belle Poule, a 60-gun frigate of the French Navy that had the mission of taking the remains of Napoleon Bonaparte from the island of Saint Helena to France. The third occasion was in 1843 to marry Dona Francisca.

As part of the provisions relating to the dowry of Dona Francisca, he received one million francs, partially in lands in the state of Santa Catarina (in the south of Brazil), where later the city of Joinville was founded, in spite of the French Crown preference for lands in the northern Brazil, next to French Guiana. They left for France after de wedding and Princess Francisca soon became very popular at the French Court, being called "La Belle Françoise". They lived there very happily for five years and then had to leave France during the Second Empire. During their exile, their Brazilian lands came in handy as they could sell them to make money.

The Prince fought in the American Civil War in 1865, on the Union side. He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Golden Fleece of Spain. He also fought in the Battle of Orléans in 1870 and also held the office of Member of the National Assembly [France] between 1871 and 1876.

In 1864, D. Francisca sent the Princes Gaston d’Orléans, Count d'Eu and Luis Augusto, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Brazil, where they would wed her nieces, D. Isabel and D. Leopoldina (daughters of D. Pedro II), respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had three children. Their daughter Princess Françoise-Marie Amélie of Orléans (14 August 1844 - 28 October 1925) married her first cousin Robert, Duke of Chartres and became the mother of the Orléanist pretender Prince Jean, Duke of Guise. Through her daughter, she is an ancestor of Prince Henri, Count of Paris, pretender to the French throne and King Juan Carlos I of Spain. It is unknown whether her son Prince Pierre-Philippe Jean Marie of Orléans, Duke of Penthièvre (4 November 1845 - 17 July 1919) ever married.

In 1864, D. Francisca sent the Princes Gaston d’Orléans, Count d'Eu and Luis Augusto, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Brazil, where they would wed her nieces, D. Isabel and D. Leopoldina (daughters of D. Pedro II), respectively.

Pss D.Francisca caused sensation when she disembarked in France after a long trip from Rio de Janeiro.
The journey had been rather severe and the princess felt sea sick :sick: .
When she set foot on land, the french ladies that came to receive and greet her were appalled :eek: when she asked for a broth of ... parrot :parrot::argh: .

Emperor D.Pedro had the project of marrying her daughter and heiress Princess D.Isabel :queen4: to his nephew Pr.Pierre of Joinville :king3:, and was furious :angry: when he turned down the honour :nonono:.

The Prince eventually never got married but fathered at least two children with his long time mistress Angélique Lebesque:
1) Pierre Lebesque (1881-1962) married (1949) to Yvonne Jeanne Gabrielle Patrigean, no children
2) Jeanne Lebesque (1879-?) married (1903) to Jean, marquis of Gouy d' Arsy, one daughter Pierrette de Gouy d'Arsy (1904-1981).

I read in the book "The life of Marie Amelie last queen of the French 1782-1866" that Francisca was singing aloud when they were all seated decorously at needlework at the round table in the salon.

QV refers to Francisca "Little Chica is a charming, sprightly, lively creature, with immense brown eyes" during a visit at Chateau d'Eu.

What events she lived through and saw her father in law,King Louis Philippe, deposed,the French Monarchy abolished in 1848,the Orléans family Exiled and return and the Fall of the House of Bonaparte and of the Second Empire!

Back
Top Bottom