Death of Prince François of France, Count of Clermont; 31 Dec. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooowwwwww.... RIP, monseigneur le Dauphin.
What a sad, sad news.

Picture

Last edited:
That is a sad end of the year for the French Royal Family.

Rest in peace.

This sad news means that the eldest brother of the late François, who was appointed Régent du Dauphin, is now indeed the Dauphin himself (in practice he already was, of course). What a hard blow for his sister Princess Blanche, who suffers the same disability.

:-(

Since France IS a Republic, with no possibility of a restoration, there is no 'Dauphin', only a title 'in pretence'...

May the late man, 'rest in peace'.

Last edited:
Since France IS a Republic, with no possibility of a restoration, there is no 'Dauphin', only a title 'in pretence'...

We are talking about royal dynasties here. It is a dynastic title, a title which is reserved for members of a dynasty, of (former) sovereign Houses. And yes, these are officially used as well:

An official communiqué about the Duke of Calabria (a dynastic title in the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies): link

An official communiqué about the Duke of Parma and Piacenza (a dynastic title in the House of Bourbon-Parma): link

Last edited:
May he rest in peace!

Poor man, he was very hurt by the fate.
Now, he is like the others.
Rest in Peace.

COMMUNIQUÉ DE MONSEIGNEUR LE COMTE DE PARIS

Monseigneur le Comte de Paris, Madame la Duchesse de Montpensier, leurs enfants les Princesses Marie et Blanche, le Prince Jean, Dauphin de France, et le Prince Eudes ainsi que leurs Familles, ont accompagné par leur présence et par leurs prières le Prince François de France qui s’est éteint paisiblement en cette nuit du 30 décembre 2017.

Link

Translation:

PRESS RELEASE FROM MONSEIGNEUR THE COUNT OF PARIS

Monseigneur the Count of Paris, Madame the Duchess of Montpensier, their children the Princesses Marie and Blanche, the Prince Jean, Dauphin de France, and the Prince Eudes and their families, accompagnied by their presence and by their prayers, the Prince François of France died peacefully last night, December 30th, 2017.

Last edited:
Sad news for the end of the year for the family. RIP Prince Francois :flowers:

When the mental handicaped Anne de Gaulle passed away , Président de Gaulle said to his wife : don't cry yet in heaven she is as Everybody.

Having myself an mental handicaped son of 42 , this sentence is important to me.

A great respect for The Duchess of Montpensier, Princess Marie, Princes Jean and Eudes for what they did for him during their whole life Now Prince François is in heaven.
I don't know if Princess Blanche was in the same Residence as his Brother and will be aware about it. We will see at his Funerals

Last edited:
Prince François was a Royal Prince , he should have his own thread on this Forums.

When the mental handicaped Anne de Gaulle passed away , Président de Gaulle said to his wife : don't cry yet in heaven she is as Everybody.

Having myself an mental handicaped son of 42 , this sentence is important to me.

A great respect for The Duchess of Montpensier, Princess Marie, Princes Jean and Eudes for what they did for him during their whole life Now Prince François is in heaven.
I don't know if Princess Blanche was in the same Residence as his Brother and will be aware about it. We will see at his Funerals

The communique stated that Marie, Blanche, Jean and Eudes "ont accompagné par leur présence" which I understood as: they were with their brother, when he left.

The communique stated that Marie, Blanche, Jean and Eudes "ont accompagné par leur présence" which I understood as: they were with their brother, when he left.
Perfect translation !:flowers:

It is interesting that in the communiqué, Jean is named Dauphin de France. That is in fact a sort of a definitive confirmation by his father. Now Prince François has left, there is no any misunderstanding anymore. Mademoiselle de Valois (Princess Blanche) and Duc d'Angoulême (Prince Eudes) were not used in the press release.

Oh, such sad news. Not a great way to start the new year :sad: May he rest in peace.

The news is sad, indeed. Condolences to Duchess of Montpensier and Prince Jean.

On a different note ... Did Count of Paris issue a special decree appointing (?) a new Dauphine? Does one have to file legal papers to clarify Prince Jean's new position?

Last edited:
I don't think it does matter legally as France is a republic.....as Jean is now the eldest son of course he becomes dauphin

On a certain moment Prince Jean was the Dauphin despite being a junior son, until relations between father and son became sour once again.

Henri decreed that Francois was and remains his firstborn son and Dauphin but -because of his severe handicap- Jean would be "Régent du Dauphin".

That was factually the correct situation. Henri honoured the birthright of Francois. And now that he has left this life, it is now Jean who is the undisputed Dauphin for the orléanists.

Last edited:
The last Dauphin was Louis XVII
The last Dauphine was his mother then Princess Marie Antoinette.

Well technically not quite, as the Duc and Duchess of Angoulème were the last Dauphin and Dauphine during the reign of Charles X.

Thanks for the information!:flowers::flowers::flowers:
It appears that Henry, Count of Paris, observes formalities by issuing decrees/ communiques.

Prince Henri is the Duc d'Orléans and his children are princes/princesses d'Orléans. That is the most pure form.

But he uses the dynastical titles Comte de Paris for himself, Mademoiselle de Valois, Comte de Clermont, Duc de Vendôme and Duc d'Angoulême for his children. And "Dauphin" for his successor.

We can have second thoughts about it, but Duc d'Anjou, Duca di Noto, Principe di Piacenza, etc. are equally dynastical titles and yes, there are reigning Royal Houses which acknowledge these titles.

The same with the annex "et du Saint-Empire" used by noble families while that Empire is long gone. It is part of the dynastic history. Up to every individual to appreciate it, or not.

Heartbreaking end of the year tragedy for the Royal House of France.

ETA: I also don't see the point-other than unnecessary rudeness -to point out that there is no more "Dauphin" of France. There was/is no longer a King of Romania either but that never stopped posters at TRF from referring to to "King Michael".

Requiescat in pace.

Last edited:
May he rest in peace,have any funeral plans been released?

May the late man, 'rest in peace'.

And you choose this thread to point that out? Do you think members of a royal forum don't know that?

Heartbreaking end of the year tragedy for the Royal House of France.

ETA: I also don't see the point-other than unnecessary rudeness -to point out that there is no more "Dauphin" of France. There was/is no longer a King of Romania either but that never stopped posters at TRF from referring to to "King Michael".

Requiescat in pace.
There's a lot of difference between Michael and the Frnech royals. He was king of Romania, and was forced to abdicate. They haven't been kings of France for over 100 years and ther'es pretty much no prospect of a restoration.

Back
Top Bottom