Death & Funeral of Prince Henri, Count of Paris - 21 Jan. / 2 Feb. 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duke of Braganza did not go to the funeral?

Prince Albert II of Monaco attending solo again,I thought Infanta Pilar of Spain or the Dowager Duchess of Calabria might attend.

Surprising that the Dowager Duchess of Calabria did not attend the funeral of her brother. Wonder if the other siblings all attended.

Was also surpsied to see Queen Sofia there as it is said she doesn't like the Orl´ßeans as they are to excentric for her. Perhaps she replaced Infanta Pilar.
But also surposing that the Belgians and Luxembourg's didn't send anyone.

I also saw that Duchess Diane of Württemberg arrived with her son Eberhard so either Duke Carl did not attend or used another entrance.

Is the woman with Archduke Martin, Princess marion, Comtesse de La Marche?

Princess Marion arrived with her son Prince Robert, Comte de La Marche.

Prince Mohamed Ali of Egypt of Egypt is present with his wife Princess Noal (née Afghanistan).

Other guests recognised: Grand Duke George of Russia, the Duke and Duchess of Castro with their daughters Maria Carolina and Maria Chiara, Prince Philipp of Liechtenstein and his wife Isabelle, Prince Charles-Emmanuel of Bourbon-Parma and his wife Princess Constance, don Alvaro-Jaime de Orléans-Borbón y Parodi-Delfino with his wife Antonella and their daughter Eulalia (King Juan Carlos is her godfather). It looks like Prince Aloys-Konstantin of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg was arriving with Archdukes Karl and Georg.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Moulay Hassan's attendance was surprising. I thought the Moroccan royal house would be represented by Prince Moulay Rachid.

The images of the Duchess of Montpensier are extremely moving: it does not seem that she ever stopped loving her former husband.

One hopes that the Dowager Countess of Paris does have a speedy recovery.

Crown Prince Moulay Hassan's attendance was surprising. I thought the Moroccan royal house would be represented by Prince Moulay Rachid.

And I thought his seating was surprising as well. Why did he surpass her majesty queen Sofia of Spain?

How he is surpassing the Queen Sofia i see they are setting in the same range?

Prince Mohamed Ali of Egypt of Egypt is present with his wife Princess Noal (née Afghanistan).

Other guests recognised: Grand Duke George of Russia, the Duke and Duchess of Castro with their daughters Maria Carolina and Maria Chiara, Prince Philipp of Liechtenstein and his wife Isabelle, Prince Charles-Emmanuel of Bourbon-Parma and his wife Princess Constance, don Alvaro-Jaime de Orléans-Borbón y Parodi-Delfino with his wife Antonella and their daughter Eulalia (King Juan Carlos is her godfather). It looks like Prince Aloys-Konstantin of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg was arriving with Archdukes Karl and Georg.

Thanks.

In addition it seems that the Prince of Venice was also there.

And non-royal: Hélène Carrère d'Encausse, currently the 2nd longest serving member of the Académie Française & cousin of the president of Georgia. She was walking with the Duchess of Orléans.

I don't think any of the Calabria's or the Aosta's were there. I am also surprised that Prince Michel of Greece did not attend, he is a 1st cousin and he was raised for a few years with the Orléans siblings. Of course the relationships between that generation of the Orleans family have had its ups and downs in the past but the absences can also be due to practical reasons of course.

Last edited:
I did not recognise Archduke Karl of Habsbourg.
The most important were Prince Albert and the crown Prince of Marocco
The Royal Houses send their minor members such as Princess Léa, Princess Sybilla etc . The Duke of Wurtenberg did not attend , I belive too frail.

I saw Princess Hélène ,Diane and Chantal ,not Princesses Isabelle , Claude and Anne. Certainly one of their Children were there.

Marion d' Orleans was there , the twins Prince Jacques and Michel with wifes and ex wife Beatrice.

The Duchesss of Montpensier did just received the communion, no tears but prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just just noticed that the Duke and Duchess of Castro were there with their daughters,I didn't expect to see them all there.

I just just noticed that the Duke and Duchess of Castro were there with their daughters,I didn't expect to see them all there.

As far as i know he is a friend of Prince Jean., He is also godfather to one of his children.

Thanks. Didn't know how he looks like.

The Royal Houses send their minor members such as Princess Léa, Princess Sybilla etc . The Duke of Wurtenberg did not attend , I belive too frail.

I saw Princess Hélène ,Diane and Chantal ,not Princesses Isabelle , Claude and Anne. Certainly one of their Children were there.

Marion d' Orleans was there , the twins Prince Jacques and Michel with wifes and ex wife Beatrice.

Spain also sent a major royal: Her Majesty Queen Sophia. She was the only one among the attendants with the style of majesty if I'm not mistaken.

The Royal Houses send their minor members such as Princess Léa, Princess Sybilla etc .

I wouldn't call Queen Sofia a "minor royal", so I guess the Spanish Royal House was an exception.

Spain also sent a major royal: Her Majesty Queen Sophia. She was the only one among the attendants with the style of majesty if I'm not mistaken.

Well technically speaking Farah is a Majesty too ...

Surprised that Prince Michael of Greece didn't attend btw.

Well technically speaking Farah is a Majesty too ...

Yes, you are right. Although it seems she is hardly ever recognized by that status.

And given that the count of Paris was from a defunct house, they probably don't put much importance to the distinction between reigning and non-reigning houses. And she was seated next to queen Sophia :)

Thank you to all who shared the photos and videos of the funeral. It was a somewhat smaller turnout than I expected but it was still nice to see a lot of royals, friends and relatives there. I am most surprised that Philippe didn't attend given that Belgium has French speaking parts. It was also surprising for me to see Moulay Hassan of Morocco attend on his own - although I guess France used to rule Morocco so the country has a historical French connection.
Interesting to hear that Jean announced he'll take up the Count of Paris title after all.

So much pictures of the Castro and only one of Prince Eudes , Duc d'Angoulème , his youngest Son , his wife and Children.

Queen Sofia , I forgot to mention sorry , is the only real Royal who knows all the Royals. I remember the picture on the Staircase for her pre wedding ball. They were all there. The Ladies in their best Jewels ans Sashes.

As far as i know he is a friend of Prince Jean., He is also godfather to one of his children.

The duke of Castro is Gaston's godfather.

Sibylla who is there for Luxembourg is godmother to Jean's daughter Louise-Marguerite.

Last edited:
No Isabelle , Anne and Claude his 3 Sisters
No Don Duarte , no Prince Michel of Greece. Very close Relatives.
Liechtenstein was represented by Prince Philipp and his extravagant wife Isabelle.

Liechtenstein was represented by Prince Philipp and his extravagant wife Isabelle.
I would hope that Henri's eldest daughter and her husband and children (all Liechtenstein princes and princesses) were also present. The picture of a group of younger family members probably included them?!

Thank you to all who shared the photos and videos of the funeral. It was a somewhat smaller turnout than I expected but it was still nice to see a lot of royals, friends and relatives there. I am most surprised that Philippe didn't attend given that Belgium has French speaking parts.

Besides, King Philippe of the Belgians is a direct descendant of King Louis Philippe of the French . The Belgian Royal House was represented, however, by Princess Léa, the widow of Prince Alexandre of Belgium.

I would hope that Henri's eldest daughter and her husband and children (all Liechtenstein princes and princesses) were also present. The picture of a group of younger family members probably included them?!

I have read, but not seen a picture yet, that Princess Marie and her husband Gundakar were there with some of their children.

Princess Anne, Dowager Duchess of Calabria, was present.

I wonder if Princess Isabelle is in fragile health; this would explain her absence.

No idea about Princess Claude.

Les obsèques du comte de Paris - Noblesse & Royautés

Most likely Princess Léa, Princess Sibylla and Prince Carlos Javier were representing nephew King Philippe, respectively brother-in-law Grand-Duke Jean, respectively cousin King Willem-Alexander. This, with an official letter of condoleance from Brussels, Luxembourg and The Hague, is a proper farewell. After all, a letter of condeleance and a representant is the usual practice regarding befriended important royal and noble Houses.

Last edited:
Most likely Princess Léa, Princess Sibylla and Prince Carlos Javier were representing nephew King Philippe, respectively brother-in-law Grand-Duke Jean, respectively cousin King Willem-Alexander. This, with an official letter of condoleance from Brussels, Luxembourg and The Hague, is a proper farewell. After all, a letter of condeleance and a representant is the usual practice regarding befriended important royal and noble Houses.

King Philippe of Belgium has indicated that he deems himself, his wife and children, and his siblings (and perhaps their spouses) as the only official representatives of the Belgian monarchy. Even his nieces and nephews, Princes and Princess of Belgium and in the line of succession, are excluded from official life. If Princess Léa was representing him, it would be representation of Philippe de Belgique as a private citizen.

King Philippe of Belgium has indicated that he deems himself, his wife and children, and his siblings (and perhaps their spouses) as the only official representatives of the Belgian monarchy. Even his nieces and nephews, Princes and Princess of Belgium and in the line of succession, are excluded from official life. If Princess Léa was representing him, it would be representation of Philippe de Belgique as a private citizen.

The late Count of Paris was not a Head of State and his funeral was a private event. So, all royals in attendance, including the Sovereign Prince of Monaco, the emeritus Queen of Spain, and the Crown Prince of Morocco, were attending in a private capacity and not as official representatives of their respective countries.

While Princess Léa may not represent the Belgian Royal House at official events, I suppose we can count her privately as a representative of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
Noticed that the Napoléons were not there too. The Princess was at Madame's funerals and the Prince, after all, is also a descendant from Louis-Philippe ...

Anyway i do think the royal turnout was decent, maybe even a bit more than expected. But it was indeed low key and done with the general indifference of the rest of the country (still in a more or less prerevolutionary mood and quite busy with other matters uh).

If you wanted a proof that France is done with any form of Monarchy just take a look at these funerals. Even the death of some popular singers lately drawn more attention...

Its been well over 100 years since there was any royal rule in France. Do they really think it is likely to come back>?

Its been well over 100 years since there was any royal rule in France. Do they really think it is likely to come back>?

Well some irreducible believe so, and to be fair they were pretty close in the 1960's, helped by the "panache" of the then comte and comtesse.

But now it's of course a closed case. I've seen more pump during the funerals of a provincial mayor ...

Back
Top Bottom