Children of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that as ther Dark Countess obviously had no relatives, her remains "belong" to the community where she is buried and that the community council decided not to allow the opening of her grave for the taking of DNA-samples. Thus there is no way to establish who she might have been.

That means the mystery will remain unsolved. It is a choice.

I can't decide whose life was more tragic. That poor little boy who was neglected to death or his older sister who had to be the lone survivor of her families tragedy.

It's a long time since anyone has added a thread to tis but I'll give it a go.
I am in the midst of research fro a book and was reading through the biography 'Marie-Therese The fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter' by Susan Nagel.
I like to consider myself reasonable knowledgeable on the life of MA and her family but something in this book has bugged me.
It is the first and only time that an author has mentioned this half-sister named Ernestine that Nagel implies was the offspring from an illicit affair Louis had with Madame du Polignac.
Apart from finding this completely implausible I am surprised it be mentioned in an actual historical biography which presumably is based on fact...any thoughts.
regards
Axel ferson

It's a long time since anyone has added a thread to tis but I'll give it a go.
I am in the midst of research fro a book and was reading through the biography 'Marie-Therese The fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter' by Susan Nagel.
I like to consider myself reasonable knowledgeable on the life of MA and her family but something in this book has bugged me.
It is the first and only time that an author has mentioned this half-sister named Ernestine that Nagel implies was the offspring from an illicit affair Louis had with Madame du Polignac.
Apart from finding this completely implausible I am surprised it be mentioned in an actual historical biography which presumably is based on fact...any thoughts.
regards
Axel ferson

There is a lot of information on the internet about Ernestine Lambriquet. She was a legally adopted daughter of queen Marie Antoinette. She married in 1810 and died in 1813. Her burial place is known. There were rumours that she was an illegitimate daughter of the king, but these were never proven.

Royal Anniversary -19th of December,1778 - Birth of Marie Thérèse de France

Marie-Thérèse Charlotte with her mother, Marie Antoinette, and brother Louis Joseph, Dauphin of France.

422px-Marie_Antoinette_Adult8.jpg

The Masses to mark the burial of the heart of Louis Charles, Dauphin of France/Louis XVII at both Saint Germain L'Auxerrois and later burial at St Denis Basilica in June 2004.

Last edited:
Louis XVII (born Louis Charles, Duke of Normandy; 27 March 1785 – 8 June 1795) was the younger son of King Louis XVI of France and Queen Marie Antoinette. His older brother, Louis Joseph, Dauphin of France, died in June 1789, a little over a month before the start of the French Revolution. At his brother's death he became the new Dauphin (heir apparent to the throne), a title he held until 1791, when the new constitution accorded the heir apparent the title of Prince Royal.

When his father was executed on 21 January 1793, during the middle period of the French Revolution, he automatically succeeded as the king of France, Louis XVII, in the eyes of the royalists. France was by then a republic and since Louis-Charles was imprisoned and died in captivity in June 1795, he never actually ruled. Nevertheless, in 1814 after the Bourbon Restoration, his uncle acceded to the throne and was proclaimed Louis XVIII.
More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_XVII

Heart of Louis XVII inside a crystal urn.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...r_de_Louis_Charles_de_France_(Louis_XVII).jpg

Louis XVI taking care of the education of his son in the Temple,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...usée_de_la_Révolution_française_-_Vizille.jpg

The grave supposed to be that of Louis XVII; Église Sainte-Marguerite, Paris.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/LOUIS_XVII.jpg

Back
Top Bottom