Catherine de Medici (1519-1589), Queen Consort of Henri II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest I wasn't keen on the writer's style. That of course is subjective. However I'm uncertain of the author's assertion that Diane de Poitiers "hated sex." If only because it's impossible to determine that about a person dead for 500yrs.

Wow.. this is the first time I have heard of the idea that Diane hated sex!:ohmy:

If true...how was she able to keep Henri II in sexual and romantic thrall for basically his entire adult life?

I've asked myself that same question. Although I am very unmarried and very single I am a woman and the idea that a woman could have a 22 yr affair and hate sex makes no sense. Especially if that woman is 18yrs older than her lover... That sentence had no sighted source obviously.

Robert Knecht was one of my lecturers whilst I was doing my history degree. Unfortunately, ex-students don't get a discount on his books, and I can't afford them either. And I think I annoyed him by preferring the Russian and Austrian elements of the European history modules to the French modules :lol:.

Lucky you to have had that honour,I have several of his excellent books on the Valois kings and Wars of Religion in France.

I agree too bad there are none of his lectures on YouTube.

Diane's daughter Françoise de Brézé served as a lady in waiting to Queen Catherine up until 1570.

Françoise de Brezé , Duchess of Bouillon and Countess of Maulévrier
1515-1577

Fran%C3%A7oise_de_Brez%C3%A9.png

Yes she was both the de Breze daughters, were interesting in their own rights.

BTW I found my research on Anne's suspected Treason in, "Herni II the Court and His Times" by H. Noel Williams Chapter 16. TBH I believe he hated his subject and loved Francis I so much that he wrote it as sort of a manifesto to make Francis seem like the best of the Valois kings.

Last edited:
Both sisters died in 1577

Louise de Brézé,Duchess of Aumale died in January 1577.
Françoise de Brézé ,Duchess of Bouillon in October 1577.

Both of them were related to the French Royal family via their father Louis de Brézé,Count of Maulévrier who's mother Charlotte was the illegitimate daughter of Charles VII of France.

Don't forget also Anges Sorel. Louis de Breze's father slaughtered his mother and her lover in her bed. Poor guy had it rough.

Queen Catherine along with her son Henri III attended the baptism of Charles d'Aumale at the chapel of the Château d'Anet where Diane and 2 of her granddaughters were buried in 1581.

Catherine de Medici was referred to as The Serpent Queen.

Francois Hercule, Duke of Alencon (1555-1584) was the youngest son of King Henry II of France and Catherine de' Medici.
http://www.maryevans.com/history/10467398

Francis was Duke of Alençon, Évreux ,Château-Thierry, Anjou, Berry, and Touraine, he was also Count of Perche, Count of Meulan and Count of Mantes.
Following his premature death aged just 29 his titles merged with the Crown and Henri III of Navarre became heir to the French throne.
Catherine was deeply alarmed by her son in laws claim and proximity to the throne.

Back
Top Bottom