Blanche of Castile (1188-1252), Queen consort of Louis VIII, Regent of France

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Blanche of Castile,Queen & Regent of France

A grand daughter of Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine,Blanche married the future Louis VIII and was the mother & Regent for Saint King Louis IX of France.One of her daughters was also later made a saint,Isabella de France.

Blanche_of_Castile01.jpg

Blanche of Castile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The now lost tomb of Blanche of Castile at the Abbaye de Maubuisson,north of Paris.The church and all its contents including the many tombs were desecrated and destroyed during the French Revolution.

Blanche_of_Castile_tomb.jpg

Some years ago, I contacted Maubuisson Abbey (which is now a national historic site complete with caretakers, historians, etc.) while doing research into the life of Louise Hollandine, Princess Palatine, one of Maubuisson's Abbesses. I was told that there is a subterranean burial vault underneath the site of what was once the Abbey church and that that vault and the tombs inside it were left undisturbed by revolutionaries and by later owners of the property. I also remember reading once that Louise Hollandine's tomb was near, possibly adjacent to, Blanche's tomb.

It's likely that the fancy monument to Blanche that was in the Abbey church was not her true grave, that her true burial site was in the subterranean vault. It's worth remembering that although Mary Queen of Scots has an elegant tomb in Westminster Abbey, her coffin rests in a subterranean vault below the monument.

Hope this helps....

Thanks I guess that's plausible,Blanche's life like metal tomb effigy was melted down in November 1792,the nuns church was sacked and later torn down.Other notable French royals buried there were Mathilde Comtesse d'Artois,Bonne de Luxembourg,Robert II Comte d'Artois,Jeanne de France (daughter of Charles IV)Latin Empress Marie de Brienne and the entrails tombs of King Charles IV le Bel & his queen Jeanne d'Evreux and of Blanche's son,Alphonse, Count of Poitiers.

In 1248 Queen Blanche became regent because her son, King Louis IX was away on a crusade.
In what country was Louis IX on a crusade?

Here's an 18th century painting by the French royal painter, Joseph-Marie Vien
of King Louis entrusting the Regency to his mother Blanche de Castile.

393px-Saint_Louis%2C_roi_de_France%2C_remettant_la_regence_a_sa_mere_Blanche_de_Castille%2C_par_Joseph-Marie_Vien.jpg

Is it true Blanche of Castile was overprotective for her son King St. Louis ?

There were several plots by nobles to kidnap him and displace her as Regent that may have been a reason.

Why did the baron Peter Mauclerc refuse to recognize the coronation of Queen Blanche's son King Louis IX?

Back
Top Bottom