The Death & Funeral of HSH Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A biography of Fürstin Marie from the excellent blog Luxarazzi:

Luxarazzi 101: Countess Marie Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau
Luxarazzi 101: Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

One Sunday afternoon, Czechs came to the family’s castle and told them that they had to leave immediately. Only given ten minutes to pack their belongings, they had to leave almost everything behind and were brought to a Koncentračni Tabor, a Czech concentration camp.

[...] Marie and her siblings attended the local Volksschule (board school) in Ering. In 1949, she changed to the Heimschule Kloster Wald in Baden-Wuerttemberg, a Benedictine boarding school which, to his day, is very popular with the German nobility. The school had been paid for by relatives and friends of the family who still owned properties.

[...] She planned on studying art history upon her return to Germany but her family did not have much money and thus could not afford to pay for long university studies. So instead she started to attend the Academy for Applied Arts at the University of Munich for six semesters and graduated with a diploma. Afterwards, she worked as a commercial graphic artists in Dachau near Munich until her engagement in 1965.

[...] In the summer of 1961, Countess Marie paid a visit to Liechtenstein's capital Vaduz to visit her aunt and uncle. While out and about with friends, she bumped into Princess Gina who invited them to come to the Schloss where the family lived as her sons were home on holiday and bored. Though Countess Marie and her friends weren't too thrilled at first because they thought that the princes were too young, they decided to visit anyway.

While Prince Hans-Adam II claims that it was love at first sight for him and that he knew from the minute that Countess Marie walked into the door that she would be his future wife, his chosen one wasn't so sure. Even though Countess Marie considered the Hereditary Prince to be nice and intelligent, she simply thought of him as a young boy. Born in 1945, Prince Hans-Adam is five years her junior.

[...] The couple raised their children on their own without the help of tutors or governesses mainly due to the fact that Hereditary Prince Hans-Adam did not like being raised by them. Instead, they only had a housekeeper and someone who would also take care of the children when the parents had to go away. Their four children attended local schools and lived in Liechtenstein until they graduated from high school.

In 1976, the Hereditary Princess became member of the board of the Liechtensteinische Gesellschaft für Umweltschutz (LGU), the country's society for environmental protection.

Taking over from her mother-in-law, Princess Marie was the president of the Society for Orthopaedic Aid between 1983 and 2005, since that year she has been its patron. She is also the president of the Liechtenstein Red Cross since 1985, an office she has also taken over from Princess Gina, and in addition patron of the Verband Liechtensteinischer Familienhilfen, a family support organisation, since 1990.

The Fürstin's page on the official website of the Princely House:

https://fuerstenhaus.li/en/the-princely-house/h-s-h-princess-marie-aglae/

Thanks! The first one also answers my question on how they met. When reading I remembered the story about Marie considering Hans-Adam way too young (16 while she was 21 when they met) initially while Hans-Adam was convinced he had met his future wife.

Also noticed that she was 2 days older than Queen Margrethe who also married in 1967.

Last edited:
Is it known how the fürst and fürstin met each other or were they acquainted from childhood as second cousins once removed or as part of the nobility in the Austrian-Hungarian sphere?

They told about it once in an Interview on the occasion of their Golden Wedding. When they were teenagers Countess Marie and probably her siblings visited her aunt who was married to a Prince of Liechtenstein and Fürstin Gina invited them to the Castle as her children were bored. Apparently for Hans Adam it swas love on first sight although he was then only 16 years old

I'm sorry to hear about her death, may she rest in peace.

May she rest in peace. I had not known about her stroke. This is sad and so soon after their national day on August 15th.

Princess Marie was a stylish woman and she was no Christmas-tree dresser. For instance, she often wore a favourite pearl necklace with the floral clasp turned to the side and she seemed to have stopped wearing the grand sapphire necklace. As far as I remember Princess Marie wore the grand sapphire necklace in Bonn, West Germany soon after Prince Hans Adam took over and I cannot remember seeing her wearing that necklace again. She apparently also stopped wearing a wedding-present sapphire tiara-necklace. It's going to be a sad requiem because she seemed to have been so nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive yes, but still not noble. Not to mention Jewish. Quelle horreur. In the old days of the Austro-Hungarian empire their descendants would be disqualified from high-ranking court positions and from some Imperial orders for generations. Thankfully things have changed.

The three Haas-Heye siblings lived interesting lives and if I could choose I'd rather be a descendant of them than the Eulenburgs.

Wait, Jewish? Who was Jewish in that family? I knew there were mosty Swedish with Scottish heritage. I thought they were Lutheran.

Last edited:
Princess Marie's funeral will be broadcast live on Liechtenstein television.

Thursday, August 26; 6.30 p.m .:
Transfer to Vaduz Cathedral

Thursday, August 26; from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.:
Laying out in Vaduz Cathedral with the option of entering it in the condolence book

Friday, August 27, 2021; 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.:
Laying out in Vaduz Cathedral with the option of entering it in the condolence book

Friday, August 27, 2021; 7 p.m.:
Rosary prayers in the churches of Liechtenstein parishes

Sunday, September 5, 2021 and Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 9.30 a.m. :
Commemorative masses on the 7th or 30th in the Vaduz Cathedral
https://www.volksblatt.li/nachricht...ergottesdienst-wird-im-landeskanal-ubertragen

Last edited:
I'm not sure that any consorts have been given a State Funerals which are are usually reserved for monarchs but there could be a Ceremonial funeral or possibly a private family one.
Queen consorts, other than Prince consorts, are also (female) monarchs, but of course non-reigning ones as they also are titled "Majesty". I´ve read that the british Queen Mother had a state funeral as well as danish (Ingrid) and norwegian (Maud) Queen consorts (even CPss Martha had a state funeral back in 1954). I don´t know about Queens Victoria or Louise of Sweden? All the last prince consorts of the Netherlands, Denmark and Britain (it has been claimed, at least, that Princes Henrik and Philip refused a state funeral) had the right to have one but all declined because of modesty.

Last edited:
I´ve read that the british Queen Mother had a state funeral as well as danish and norwegian Queen consorts (even CPss Martha had a state funeral back in 1954). All the last prince consorts of the Netherlands, Denmark and Britain had the right to have one but all declined one because of modesty.
The Queen Mother, like Princess Diana, Princess Margaret and Prince Philip, had a ceremonial funeral.

In this schedule the funeral itself is missing. Will it take place on Saturday?

The Funeral Mass will take place this Saturday, August 28th at Vaduz Cathedral.

Along with members of the numerous Princely family of Liechtenstein I wonder will there be any foreign royal guests in attendance?

I wish I could see the funeral. From what I've heard only people who live in Liechtenstein can see funeral through Landeskanal.

I wish I could see the funeral. From what I've heard only people who live in Liechtenstein can see funeral through Landeskanal.

Please try online. I am no expert, but, it's amazing what is online nowadays.

Along with members of the numerous Princely family of Liechtenstein I wonder will there be any foreign royal guests in attendance?

Is Vaduz Cathedral the same as the Cathedral of St. Florin? That is where earlier reports indicated that the Funeral Mass would be celebrated.

Is Vaduz Cathedral the same as the Cathedral of St. Florin? That is where earlier reports indicated that the Funeral Mass would be celebrated.

Yes. It is the only cathedral in the country. It only became a Cathedral in the 1990's and was before known as parish St. Florin.

I think one will have to wait and see. We now have not only the situation with Covid-19 but also Holiday time. At the funerals of Fürst Franz Josef and Fürstin Gina the reigning european royal Houses were represented except for the scandinavian RF's.

Queen consorts, other than Prince consorts, are also (female) monarchs, but of course non-reigning ones as they also are titled "Majesty". I´ve read that the british Queen Mother had a state funeral as well as danish (Ingrid) and norwegian (Maud) Queen consorts (even CPss Martha had a state funeral back in 1954). I don´t know about Queens Victoria or Louise of Sweden?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as monarchs are by definition reigning heads of state, but neither Elizabeth of the UK, Ingrid of Denmark, Maud of Norway nor Victoria and Louise of Sweden ever co-ruled with their husbands.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as monarchs are by definition reigning heads of state, but neither Elizabeth of the UK, Ingrid of Denmark, Maud of Norway nor Victoria and Louise of Sweden ever co-ruled with their husbands.

Yes correct they were consorts not Monarchs.

Queen consorts, other than Prince consorts, are also (female) monarchs, but of course non-reigning ones as they also are titled "Majesty". I´ve read that the british Queen Mother had a state funeral as well as danish (Ingrid) and norwegian (Maud) Queen consorts (even CPss Martha had a state funeral back in 1954). I don´t know about Queens Victoria or Louise of Sweden? All the last prince consorts of the Netherlands, Denmark and Britain (it has been claimed, at least, that Princes Henrik and Philip refused a state funeral) had the right to have one but all declined because of modesty.

In the Netherlands neither the monarch nor the consort receive a State Funeral. Their funerals essentially are private funerals with support and assistance from the State, as there simply are aspects of public order, security, international relations and diplomacy involved.

In the Netherlands the definition of a State Funeral is that the initiative, the organization, the responsibility and the costs are for the State. So the Dutch consorts have not "declined because of modesty". They never were offered a State Funeral at all.

Last edited:
As Catholic it is touching that the Rosary Prayers will take place in the Churches of Liechtensetein Parishes at 7 p.m. to morrow
Marie was one of the 5 Catholic Consorts. As she and the Princess of Monaco were SHH they did not have "le privlilège du Blanc" as for Spain, Belgium and Luxemburg.

My condolences to the family of Liechtenstein. I haven't seen photos of her from the last few years, but seeing her as a middleaged lady she always looked very lovely. She had a great sense of style.

Now back to Princess Marie , her Funerals will be transmissed in live , I hope I could see them

St. Florin's Cathedral doesn't look that large so I'm guessing it will be just members of the Princely Family and the late Princess Marie's Family?

Back
Top Bottom