HSH Prince Franz Josef II (1906-1989) and HSH Princess Gina (1921-1989)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BurberryBrit

Serene Highness
City
onthenet
Country
United States
BurberryBrit said:
:ohmy: Have you guys seen her before? She was simply breathtaking! She could have been a starlet :flowers: She reminds me of Sophia Loren.

BB,
I can see where Prince Hans Adam gets his good looks from! She does favor Sophia Loren a lot. Do you know what her ancestry is?

By the way...keeping our promise!;)

Thanks magnik! Is that German or Austrian? Does anyone know?

kerry said:
BB,
I can see where Prince Hans Adam gets his good looks from! She does favor Sophia Loren a lot. Do you know what her ancestry is?

By the way...keeping our promise!;)
:lol: Yes, the Liechtensteins are my "adopted" royal family.

kerry said:
Thanks magnik! Is that German or Austrian? Does anyone know?

Maybe Czech like Marie?

magnik said:
Gina was a daughter of Graf Ferdinand von Wilczek and Gräfin Nora Kinsky, born in Graz on 24 October 1921, died in Vaduz on 18 October 1989).

Family this part from the link came from Königsberg
Kaliningrad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That surname sounds very familiar. Wasn't Constantin's wife a Grafin von Wilczek? I'm off to check.
ETA: Nope I was wrong. Princess Marie was born a Kálnoky de Köröspatak. Gosh that other name sounds familiar, though.

Was Georgina related to her daughter in law Princess Marie? (nee Kinsky von Wchinitz and Tettau)

Last edited:
Yes. Princess Gergina and present Princess Marie were cousins (depend of line)
Relationship

She was even related to Constantine's wife Countess Maria
Relationship

Last edited:
Prince Hans Adams and Princess Marie were cousins. How closely they're related is something I don't know. I read that they were cousins from the prince's Wiki bio. It is very possible their common link was through Princess Gina. I'll try to find something but whatever I find will probably be in german.

Thanks, magnik. That was fast!

Neither page is loading for me. Did you find any other sites?

kerry said:
Prince Hans Adams and Princess Marie were cousins. How closely they're related is something I don't know. I read that they were cousins from the prince's Wiki bio. It is very possible their common link was through Princess Gina. I'll try to find something but whatever I find will probably be in german.
Relationship

BurberryBrit said:
OK, that might explain why Marie and Georgina look a bit similar. I wonder if it was an arranged marriage?
Don't forget about Hans-Adam:rolleyes: Looks like his mother (normal) and a bit like his own wife.

magnik said:
Don't forget about Hans-Adam:rolleyes: Looks like his mother (normal) and a bit like his own wife.

I imagine that with their being SO MANY of them, that you end up running into a cousin at some point unless you branch out like Max and Alexandre (Philipp's son) did. :wacko:

You're right. I think they're all related somehow but now that times have changed you don't find 1st and 2nd cousins marrying anymore. It is more distant. There are so many German and Austrian Houses with common ties.

Here are some pics of Prince Franz Josef II and Princess Gina.
The Prince was, at the time of his death, one of the longest-reigning monarchs, succeeding to the princely Crown in 1938, and reigning until 1989.

Princess Gina died of cancer on 18 October 1989, closely followed by her bereft husband on 13 November 1989.

~ ° ~

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone ever wears that beautiful fringe tiara :eek:

I've only seen pics of the Kinsky and Sophie's ugly (IMO) Bayern flower tiara.

Last edited:
BurberryBrit said:
I wonder if anyone ever wears that beautiful fringe tiara :eek:

I've only seen pics of the Kinsky and Sophies ugly (IMO) Bayern flower tiara.

I don't think I've ever seen it on any of the present day princessess. I know that they're pretty low key but that doesn't mean they don't have to have that wow factor. It would be nice to see a little glamour in the princely house. I'm not saying "over-the-top-everybody-look-at-me" but simple elegance. :flowers:

kerry said:
I don't think I've ever seen it on any of the present day princessess. I know that they're pretty low key but that doesn't mean they don't have to have that wow factor. It would be nice to see a little glamour in the princely house. I'm not saying "over-the-top-everybody-look-at-me" but simple elegance. :flowers:

I agree, it would be nice to see some glamour. Princess Gina seemed to be very glamorous and starlet-like (from the few pics I've seen of her). I'd love to see Marie or Sophie wear that tiara! Hopefully, there will be a ball in Liechtenstein again. Though I can't imagine why they'd have one since:
1. they didn't have any big spectacle for their OWN 200th anniversary! :wacko:)
2. the heir is already married
3. all the other kids are married
4. nothing seems to be going on in Liechtenstein to celebrate with a ball

Oh well, I can hope. :)

To go back a generation, I remember Hans Adams' mother, Princess Georgiana (I think that is how her name is spelled) - she was a Hungarian Countess. She was very vivacious and attended a lot of royal weddings - she was very visible while her much older husband (Prince Franz Joseph) was very retiring. Her picture was in the press a lot. They both died in the same year. She died from cancer - I remember having seen a photo of her at a royal wedding taken just a few months before her death and she looked wonderful - who knew?
Hans Adam's wife, Princess Marie, was the governess of the younger children
in the family and that is how she and Hans Adam met.
Princess Georgiana was not pleased and I can't imagine how she treated her daughter-in-law all of those years. (Shades of Josephine-Charlotte!)

To go back a generation, I remember Hans Adams' mother, Princess Georgiana (I think that is how her name is spelled) - she was a Hungarian Countess. She was very vivacious and attended a lot of royal weddings - she was very visible while her much older husband (Prince Franz Joseph) was very retiring. Her picture was in the press a lot. They both died in the same year. She died from cancer - I remember having seen a photo of her at a royal wedding taken just a few months before her death and she looked wonderful - who knew?
Princess Georgiana was not pleased
and I can't imagine how she treated her daughter-in-law all of those years. (Shades of Josephine-Charlotte!)

I don't know if that is true? Princess Marie was born Countess Marie Algae Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau and is in fact related to Georgina (and thus related to her husband Hans-Adam!) so I have serious doubts that Georgina didn't want her kin to marry Hans Adam. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little set up to keep it all in the family, as was done in those times.

I know she worked in art and have no knowledge of her working as a governess. But I don't know. Can you provide a source? I love learning new information. :flowers:

Princess Georgiana was not pleased and I can't imagine how she treated her daughter-in-law all of those years. (Shades of Josephine-Charlotte!)

Could you please provide a source for your info? Princess Marie's bio states that she was employed as a commercial artist prior to her marriage.

Since I'm a genealogy freak:

Princess Georgina was born Countess Georgine "Gina" Norberte Johanna Franziska Antonie Marie Raphaela von Wilczek, the daughter of Ferdinand, Count of Wilczek (1893-1977) and his wife, Countess Norbertine Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau (1888-1923). She and Marie share a common ancestor Wenzel Norbert Oktavian (1642-1719) who had 16 children by two wives. The 8th child gave rise to Georgina's line and the 13th child gave rise to Marie's line. Georgine's line descends from the first wife while Marie's line descends from the second wife. So they are VERY distantly related and although Marie and Hans are "cousins" they are hardly "kissing cousins."

She was a bohemian Countess not hungarian. The Wedding she attended in Summer 1989 was the one of Prince Gundakar of Liechtebnstein with Princess Marie of France (daughter of the present Count of Paris) which was held at Friedhrichshafen Castle and heir uncle, Duke Carl of Württemberg was the host as there was a little bit of quarrel about the Wedding before.

...as there was a little bit of quarrel about the Wedding before.
Stefan, you can't leave us hanging with that little teaser. Details please! :)

Could you please provide a source for your info? Princess Marie's bio states that she was employed as a commercial artist prior to her marriage.

I only remember photos taken at the time of their engagement - they were outside playing in the snow or something. And the copy with the pictures stated that she was the governess of the younger children.
I don't think that my memory is playing tricks on me.
Marie is at least 5 years older than Hans Adam and he was only about 22 or so when they married.
I am positive that she was the governess and that is how they met. I am sure that the family would not want that fact dwelled upon.
And wasn't there a younger brother of Hans Adam --- Wencelas --- what ever became of him?

Joseph Wenzel died in 1991. There's another thread about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom