Royalty of Brunei 1: January 2004-February 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zina said:
Not many people would know that Sarah has a half-brother from her mother's first marriage, to a Swiss man, and her half-brother also attended the Wedding.

I don't think that Sarah's father came from a particularly wealthy family. He was working in the water works dept. after all.

It's a common misconception that non-Bruneians might have...but the title "Pengiran" is very common here in Brunei, and means that a person is descended from royalty. Considering Brunei's tiny population, and that Brunei has had 29 Sultans...that makes half the country "Pengirans" - and they're usually not any wealthier than the rest of us! It would not be really accurate to say that they are all "relatives" of the Royal Family. Perhaps its more accurate to call them descendants of previous royal generations.

It's a gross exaggeration to say that Sarah's father was a minor "relative" of the Sultan's or that Sarah was a "distant cousin" of the Crown Prince, as according to many articles from outside media. However..They are, of course, related now, because Sarah has married the CP!

Very interesting insight Zina. But you know how it is in the west, every relation who isnt part of the immediate family is termed a "cousin" here. So that might give a lot of people the wrong impression, especially since marrying a cousin is such a taboo in the west.
I didnt know the CP Sarah's mother had been married before. Do you have any pictures of her son from her first marriage? perhaps attending the wedding?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Very interesting insight Zina. But you know how it is in the west, every relation who isnt part of the immediate family is termed a "cousin" here. So that might give a lot of people the wrong impression, especially since marrying a cousin is such a taboo in the west.
I didnt know the CP Sarah's mother had been married before. Do you have any pictures of her son from her first marriage? perhaps attending the wedding?

Afraid I don't have any photos of Sarah's Swiss relatives who attended the wedding. I recall seeing Sarah's aunty, (Sarah's mother's older sister), uncle and 2 younger male relatives and a young lady. Maybe one of those male relatives was Sarah's half brother. The media , of course would not have mentioned it, and would have labelled him a "cousin" , to cover it up.

I am just speculating however.

Zina said:
Not many people would know that Sarah has a half-brother from her mother's first marriage, to a Swiss man, and her half-brother also attended the Wedding.

I don't think that Sarah's father came from a particularly wealthy family. He was working in the water works dept. after all.

It's a common misconception that non-Bruneians might have...but the title "Pengiran" is very common here in Brunei, and means that a person is descended from royalty. Considering Brunei's tiny population, and that Brunei has had 29 Sultans...that makes half the country "Pengirans" - and they're usually not any wealthier than the rest of us! It would not be really accurate to say that they are all "relatives" of the Royal Family. Perhaps its more accurate to call them descendants of previous royal generations.

It's a gross exaggeration to say that Sarah's father was a minor "relative" of the Sultan's or that Sarah was a "distant cousin" of the Crown Prince, as according to many articles from outside media. However..They are, of course, related now, because Sarah has married the CP!

That's quite an insight Zina about royal titles. Thanks for sharing.

A lot of papers reported about Sarah's dad coming from a well to do family - the media snapshot of CP visiting Sarah's home , presented a rather well furnished decor with a grand piano in the living room and the fact that Sarah's dad studied in UK something in those days must mean something.

Didn't know about Sarah's mum having been married before. How old are Sarah's parent btw?

Minnie said:
That's quite an insight Zina about royal titles. Thanks for sharing.

A lot of papers reported about Sarah's dad coming from a well to do family - the media snapshot of CP visiting Sarah's home , presented a rather well furnished decor with a grand piano in the living room and the fact that Sarah's dad studied in UK something in those days must mean something.

Didn't know about Sarah's mum having been married before. How old are Sarah's parent btw?

Sarah's father, Pengiran Salleh, was born 1st June 1950, making him 55 this year. Sarah's mother, Suzanne ,was born 3rd March 1954, making her 51 this year.

That grand house was given to Sarah's family, after they accepted His Majesty the Sultan's proposal for Sarah to marry the Crown Prince. Sarah's family had their phone numbers changed and were immediately moved into that house, where they live today, everything provided for them.

Zina said:
Sarah's father, Pengiran Salleh, was born 1st June 1950, making him 55 this year. Sarah's mother, Suzanne ,was born 3rd March 1954, making her 51 this year.

That grand house was given to Sarah's family, after they accepted His Majesty the Sultan's proposal for Sarah to marry the Crown Prince. Sarah's family had their phone numbers changed and were immediately moved into that house, where they live today, everything provided for them.

Gee......you sure do know a lot about them, Zina. Thanks for sharing really. I mean such information you can hardly read it in magazines or any other media. Really lucky folks Sarah's parents. I wouldn't mind having such a daughter :p . I had initally thought that Sarah's dowry was only a mere $1000 Bn as reported in papers and some other jewelries .

How long did CP know Sarah when he proposed? ehehe. how old's CP's next brother? :D .

Yes indeed its all very informative Zina. It was incredibly generous of the Sultan to buy CP Sarah's parents a new house. It doesnt happen within other royal families.
In many ways her parents are part of the royal family now and obviously the Sultan would want their privacy preserved just as he guards the privacy of his own family.

That is all so very nice!!!
But was the half-brother rasied in Brunei with his mom, or did he stay in Switzerland? I would prefer the latter since his dad is Swiss.

some pictures from the Sultan's 58th birthday celebrations last year

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 883
  • 2g.JPG
    2g.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 2f.jpg
    2f.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 768
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 694
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2,146
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 737
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 670
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 604
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 747
What is so amazing about the Brunei Royal Court is that it is so colorful. I just love seeing special events in Brunei -such an array of color.

Why was princess Basma of Jordan there?

Reina said:
Why was princess Basma of Jordan there?

The Royal Family of Jordan have a very close relationship with the Royal family of Brunei. She attends His Majesty's Birthday every year for a couple of years now. They were also invited to Crown Prince's wedding last year but because of Prince's Ali's of Jordan wedding also falls on the same weekend there couldn't attend.

alfie said:
The Royal Family of Jordan have a very close relationship with the Royal family of Brunei. She attends His Majesty's Birthday every year for a couple of years now. They were also invited to Crown Prince's wedding last year but because of Prince's Ali's of Jordan wedding also falls on the same weekend there couldn't attend.

you know I was wondering why no one from the Jordanian royal family attended the wedding of the CP last year. I dont know why I didnt think of Prince Ali's wedding. But Prince Ali's wedding was on Sep 7 and the CP's wedding was on Sep 9 and the banquet was the next day. Someone from the Jordanian royal family could've attended.
There was talk of a private banquet after Prince Ali's wedding eventhough officially he cancelled the big public banquet. Maybe thats why they didn't attend.

Oh dear :eek: :

Brunei's royals lose £50m café chain suit
By Jon Ashworth
trans.gif
A BRITISH businessman has won a £50 million legal ruling against members of the Brunei royal family over a failed attempt to launch a popular US coffee chain in the UK.

Mark Burby, a Jersey-based entrepreneur, is threatening to seize personal assets — including works of art and vintage Rolls-Royces — unless the defendants pay up.

white.gif
NI_MPU('middle');document.write('');document.write('');http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/click;...=?http://www.timesonline.co.uk/sendavalentineMr Burby, 37, had been seeking backing for the UK launch of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, a Californian chain that has a cult following in South-East Asia. He was approached by Pengiran Ayub, a cousin of the Sultan of Brunei, and his wife, Pengiran Damit, the Sultan’s sister-in-law, about investing in the venture.

Mr Burby alleges that the money failed to materialise. He first launched legal proceedings in Singapore, where many of the negotiations had been. A judge ruled in favour of the Pengirans, saying the agreement had been between corporate entities, not individuals.

Mr Burby’s company, CBTL Holdings, then launched proceedings against Smart Plus Investment Holdings, registered in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). The Pengirans and their business agent, Alice Koo, were named as directors and shareholders of Smart Plus. The BVI High Court has ruled in favour of CBTL and assessed damages at £46.9 million plus costs.

If the damages are not paid, CBTL will seek to have Smart Plus placed in liquidation. The liquidators will have the power to seize personal assets belonging to the directors.

A lawyer for the Pengirans said that the dispute was a matter between companies.

Mr Burby is a well-known personality in Jersey. His helicopter is used for maritime search and rescue and features on the island’s postage stamps.

Mr Burby holds the UK franchise to The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf — affectionately known as “The Bean”.

He says the Pengirans approached him in late 2000 with a view to investing £4.5 million (later £7 million) in the venture.

He alleges that the Pengirans and their agent repeatedly reneged on promises to hand over the funds.

Mr Burby said that he had been reassured by the Pengirans’ royal connections. He said: “We’re talking about royals who used their royal status to get us to do business. Then they royally shafted us.”

His expenditure included hiring senior staff, seeking sites and retaining architects.

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf has outlets in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Mr Burby has promised to pursue the Pengirans “for the rest of my life” if that was what it took to recover the funds. Options include attaching charges to works of art, jewellery and cars. Mr Pengiran is a renowned collector of vintage Rolls-Royces. Mr Burby had hoped to develop The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf as an expansive chain across Britain. Although he still holds the UK franchise, he says that the barriers to entry are too high and that the opportunity has now passed.

kinneret5764 said:
Oh dear :eek: :

Brunei's royals lose £50m café chain suit
By Jon Ashworth
trans.gif
A BRITISH businessman has won a £50 million legal ruling against members of the Brunei royal family over a failed attempt to launch a popular US coffee chain in the UK.

Mark Burby, a Jersey-based entrepreneur, is threatening to seize personal assets — including works of art and vintage Rolls-Royces — unless the defendants pay up.

white.gif
NI_MPU('middle');document.write('');document.write('[url="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/ad/business.timesonline.co.uk/mainhomepage;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;abr=!nn2;abr=!nn3;abr=!nn4;;pos=middle;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=1107785199207?"]http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/ad/business.timesonline.co.uk/mainhomepage;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;abr=!nn2;abr=!nn3;abr=!nn4;;pos=middle;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=1107785199207?[/url]');Mr Burby, 37, had been seeking backing for the UK launch of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, a Californian chain that has a cult following in South-East Asia. He was approached by Pengiran Ayub, a cousin of the Sultan of Brunei, and his wife, Pengiran Damit, the Sultan’s sister-in-law, about investing in the venture.

Hmm..have never heard of these Pengirans. I don't believe they are related to the Sultan at all. The facts don't add up. If they were close relatives, they would have higher titles...There are thousands of people with Pengiran titles in Brunei. If Pengiran Damit is the Sultan's sister-in-law, which brother is she married to? How can she be HM's sister-in-law if she is married to HM's cousin?

There have been many cases of people trying to pass themselves off as royalty to do business. Our local newspapers recently carried a story of a similar case.

Prince Azim and other celebrities at a Chinese New Year party in London, January 29, 2005

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 613
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 479
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,681
Cover Photo of Curahan Kasih

Cover Photo of Curahan Kasih

Attachments

• CurahanKasih.jpg
    CurahanKasih.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 755
Hi everyone. I posted a question in Brunei Jewels thread about Brunei treasures.
As I know, Brunei is very rich country, so brunei monarchy can own/make expensive jewels; or they could have them by heritage.
My question: are they the only reasons, or does Brunei own gold/diamond mines?
Thanks.

cutie said:
They are not a true 'love match'. The crown prince had a serious girlfriend for many years, but the sultan thought she was too plain. On the crown prince's 30th birthday, he was told to choose a bride among a group of virgin girls that was presented to him. The crown prince and princess have only know each other for a few months. They look good together, which is what the sultan wants.

I'm not sure I should be replying in the "Malaysian royalty" thread, but it seems like I can answer some of these questions.

I think the crown prince was not really serious with his ex girlfriend. From what I understand, she was living in the UK and they only saw each other occasionally, such as during the Eid celebration. Even then, they were not given permission to see each other, from His Majesty, so they weren't a "serious" couple, as such.

The real reason why she was not allowed to marry him, is not because she is plain, but because of her previous relationships. Apparently the Sultan had discovered of her romances with the Crown Prince's relatives - cousins, brother-in-law and uncles. The Crown Prince's family did not approve of this, or her partying lifestyle. I think after the Sultan's own divorce from his 2nd wife (also a party girl), he thought that his son should not go through the same mistake.

Fortunately, the Crown Prince met Sarah and seemed to like her very much. I heard that, after he decided to marry Sarah, he was not at all upset to say goodbye to his ex girlfriend. Unfortunately, the story goes, that the ex girlfriend was not told of the forthcoming marriage, and only heard about it through the official media announcement. From what I have heard, she expected her name to be announced! If this story is true, then the Crown Prince must not have had any contact with the ex girlfriend for a long time, or else, he kept it a secret from her.

I think the Crown Prince just wanted a pretty, mixed race girl to marry. Any one would do. Personally, I don't think he is the type to have ever experienced true love. He found a younger, prettier model and discarded the old GF without even telling her!:cool:

Zina said:
Hmm..have never heard of these Pengirans. I don't believe they are related to the Sultan at all. The facts don't add up. If they were close relatives, they would have higher titles...There are thousands of people with Pengiran titles in Brunei. If Pengiran Damit is the Sultan's sister-in-law, which brother is she married to? How can she be HM's sister-in-law if she is married to HM's cousin?

There have been many cases of people trying to pass themselves off as royalty to do business. Our local newspapers recently carried a story of a similar case.

Sadly to say Zina but this is true. It was in the local brunei newspapers as well. Sultan's sister-in-law as in Raja Isteri's sister, Pengiran Anak Damit. They cars license plates are mostly with number 16.

Time to close this thread and start a new one. Thanks to everyone who have posted articles, pictures and comments.

Here is the link to the new thread Royalty of Brunei: New & Photos 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom