Royalty of Brunei 1: January 2004-February 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
well both the sultan's wives didnt cover their hair at the reception, probably so they could wear their tiaras. It would've looked odd if they'd worn their tiaras on top of the hijab. Queen Saleha wore a tiara on a hijab at her son's wedding banquet a couple of weeks ago and it does look strange
I don't think it looks strange or odd at all wearing her tiara on her headcovering. And if that particular event took place in Brunei, it makes her skipping less susceptible and more tawdry to me.

charlottestreasures said:
I see that there is much discussion about the women of Brunei, in particular the royal women, and headscarves.

There must be "some rule of thumb" somewhere about when and when not to wear one.

I myself prefer the Queen without a scarf.
And Charlotte as you probably know, most Muslim women who (willingly) wear veils or headcovering usually keep it wherever they go and it's not an adjustable piece of cloth. They are raised to believe that the hair is the most precious thing on a woman and thus should only be seen and admired by their men only and those that believe and follow this are very particular about it.

Some say it's an Islamic symbol and others say it's not mentioned in the Quran. For some it's a joy wearing it and compare it to being under the guidance of Allah and for others it's just an overrated piece of cloth. One might think veil is irrelevant another might think religious boundaries are irrelevant. It all depends on your mentality and your way of seeing and interpreting things. Those women who wear their veils with pride, dignity and confidence and refuse to unveil themselves even during some uncomfortable situations like participating in Sports because it's not just a part of their religion but also a part of their identity should be respected and applauded for their sincerity.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight into the matter of the headscarf.
I do know that even the Queen of England will wear a hat on her official duties doing the day and then will be bearheaded for evening events.

I think the headscarf is not worn when they think the pictures will be shown internationally. For instance, sarah did not wear her headscarf during her engagement pictures, as these pictures are the first to announce her marriage.

charlottestreasures said:
Thanks for your insight into the matter of the headscarf.
I do know that even the Queen of England will wear a hat on her official duties doing the day and then will be bearheaded for evening events.
Yes, but the hat is a fashion item, an accessory just like her necklace no more no less, to go with her dress. And for the evening the European royalties usually go bareheaded or wear a tiara.

Last edited:
cutie said:
I think the headscarf is not worn when they think the pictures will be shown internationally. For instance, sarah did not wear her headscarf during her engagement pictures, as these pictures are the first to announce her marriage.
Actually, Sarah did wear it to her engagment photos. She didnt wear it in another group of more informal pictures. i dont think its the international thing because Princess Masna, who is the Bruneian foreign minister, wears it overseas all the time, even when addressing the UN. In the end, its all personal preferance.

Last edited:
official pictures before the wedding

Attachments

• brunei-dop1a.jpg
    brunei-dop1a.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,576
  • FMP-01-10-16471763.jpg
    FMP-01-10-16471763.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 615
  • FMP-01-10-16491763.jpg
    FMP-01-10-16491763.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 517
  • FMP-01-10-16501763.jpg
    FMP-01-10-16501763.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 775
  • is_10305855.jpg
    is_10305855.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • is_10305867.jpg
    is_10305867.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • May 16, 2004.jpg
    May 16, 2004.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
informal pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 889
  • FMP-01-10-16441763.jpg
    FMP-01-10-16441763.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 553
  • is_10305861.jpg
    is_10305861.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • is_10305862.jpg
    is_10305862.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 974
  • is_10305873.jpg
    is_10305873.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,051
I have to disagree. While there are both sets of photos available. The major newspapers used the set of photos without her headcovering. Clearly, the brunei royal family knows that the international audience prefer to see them without their headcovering, and that's why they will go without it. I really don't think it's a personal preference. When you are part of the royal family, you have to follow protocol. You are representing your country.

Last edited:
well if thats your opinion. I dont think the Bruneian royalty cares whether the international audience wants to see Princess Sarah without her headscarf. Why should everyone else care either? I hope most people aren't that shallow! Both sets of pictures are available on the net and on sites like "Hello"
Besides, Sarah wore her scarf throughout her wedding festivities which were seen all over the world. The portrait that annonced the Crown Prince's engagment several months ago was the one where she's wearing the blue scarf. Thats the very first picture of her that was made public to all the news agencies. I remember it clearly, it was posted on the Crown Prince's website first and even posted on this forum.
Also, on Bruneian tv, Princess Sarah was shown without a headscarf several times, before her marriage; for example, when the crown prince and his parents visited Sarah and her parents for a dinner, she wasn't covered. Its obviously not that big of a deal in brunei either.
My point is, there is no particular pattern here. The royal women have appeared with and without their scarves both nationally and internationally.

Last edited:
I think she didn't wear it, to introduce her to the world. I have seen pictures of Sarah wearing the headcovering while playing sports. How often does Queen Saleha go without her headcovering? Once in a blue moon? I don't really think it is shallow, but it is a form of diplomacy and respect and respresenting your country at the same time. I think they do care about how the world sees them or why would the sultan hire a PR company?

Last edited:
Hmm..i still dont think its an issue.
Anyway, time for some pictures.

Attachments

• coupleb.jpg
    coupleb.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 657
  • couple.jpg
    couple.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 4,357
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 802
  • MASMALEH_.jpg
    MASMALEH_.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,433
It wasn't an issue in the first place. You only state the obvious and don't see beneath the facade.

Hallo everyone,

With regard to the matter of headcovering, there is no such thing as obligatory to wear headcover for all Brunei royal members in the royal court, whether it is in the country or abroad. According to my friend from Brunei, the headcovering among members of Brunei royal court has been popular since the Sultan and his families return from pilgrimage to Mecca in 1980's. As far as my friend and I know, Brunei has never made any rules which lead to the compulsion of all Muslim women in Brunei to wear headcover like in Islamic Republic of Iran. It's the matter of personal choice but since there has also been an increase of Islamic awareness in Brunei and other countries in Southeast Asia since around the 80's the headcover becomes very popular. So the question whether Princess Sarah or Datin Faezah wear head cover or not is not a big deal or serious issue to be debated. If they want they just wear, if they don't then they will just take it off. However, see my keyword here, Islamic awareness- that's the reason why they wear headcover.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Hmm..i still dont think its an issue.
Anyway, time for some pictures.
He always look like he can't get enough of his ladylove :D (and I love that purple dress on her).

Princess Amy Mastura

Are you saying that this singer (biography below) was married to Prince Jefri and she is a cousin of Prince Sufri's former wife, a singer as well. ???

Biography: 'Princess' Amy Mastura

Being a cousin of Pingiran Mazuin Hamzah (popular teenage singer during the 80s who later married to Sultan Brunei's brother) certainly helped in initially propelling the name, Amy Mastura to the lips of many. Though, for many of her loyal fans, she's likely to bound to success on her very own. Before a lengthy career in music and film industry, Amy worked as a stewardess (flight attendant) for Malaysia Airlines (MAS) for five years. Her winning in Asia Bagus contest which was held in Japan in 1993 started her career as a singer who immediately represented Malaysia in Asian Pop Queen Festival 1994, also held in Japan. Amy later grabbed the Malaysia Most Popular Female (Musical) Artist title in 1996. In 2000, Amy was voted a winner for Pop-Rock category of Juara Lagu 2000 for her song entitled Bintang Hati.

Among her other accomplishments include a duet with Tommy Page (for the song entitled 'the Best Part'); being a Veejay for MTV Syok and; two twin-platinum awards for her self-titled and Pujaanku albums and a platinum award for her album entitled Puteri. Besides music, Amy Mastura has been an active representative cum (beauty) model for several commercial organizations including Shiseido Pureness, Aiwa, Adidas, Omega, Axion Spring Fresh and Lux. Acting-wise, she's been in several films, up to co-producing her latest trilogy telemovies and a theater entitled 'Siti Di Alam Fantasi' in 2000.

This cute, lovable and highly admired female artist is the youngest of two siblings and is now married to her long-time friend, Alvin Tham Sufian on June 30, 2000. On April 20, 2001, Amy gave birth to a daughter named Adriana. There you go: Amy is one of the few career-minded moms in enteratainment industry, who continues to be a respected model, singer, actress and recently, movie producer.

cutie said:
It wasn't an issue in the first place. You only state the obvious and don't see beneath the facade.
Well Ephram has said it best. Like i said, its not as important as you're making it sound. You happen to think that the headcovering is an issue enough to warrant the royal family wearing it strategically for national/international audiences. It simply isnt so carefully planned. I dont know if you're Muslim or not, but thats simlpy not how it works. Even with Muslim royalty. Its not protocol and tradition either because earlier Bruneian queens and female royals didnt wear the headcover at all.

Last edited:
La la said:
He always look like he can't get enough of his ladylove :D (and I love that purple dress on her).
I hope that means he's not like his father. I've noticed he's shy and reserved. But he's different around his wife. Lets hope it stays that way.

Do sikhs always wear turbans? you debate for the sake of it. i have better things to do. see ya.

Last edited:
cutie said:
Do sikhs always wear turbans? you debate for the sake of it. i have better things to do. see ya.
my point exactly. No one wears religious headgear for publicity reasons. Its personal choice.
You initiated the debate which has seemed pointless to me from the beginning.

The Crown Prince and Princess on their honeymoon in Venice, Italy, October 2, 2004

Attachments

• honeymoon.jpg
    honeymoon.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,633
~*~Humera~*~ said:
The Crown Prince and Princess on their honeymoon in Venice, Italy, October 2, 2004
Just curious, where did you find this picture. They look shocked that they're being photographed. So much for privacy. I trust they have left Venice by now and moved on to another locale.

I think she looks both beautiful with and without the headscarf.
Thanks for the pics, Humera, where do you get them? I have noticed you seem to post pictures that most of us or at least I don't find anywhere.
P.S. Is that Vaneeza Ahmed as you avatar? Pretty lady...

pdas1201 said:
I think she looks both beautiful with and without the headscarf.
Thanks for the pics, Humera, where do you get them? I have noticed you seem to post pictures that most of us or at least I don't find anywhere.
P.S. Is that Vaneeza Ahmed as you avatar? Pretty lady...
Yes it is:)
Im guessing you're Pakistani?

The pictures I have are actually from various photoagencies, including Brunei's Infofoto. I alter them ofcourse, since they're too big. The honeymoon pic though, is from ISIFA.com
Some more pics from the honeymoon, Sep 29, 2004

Attachments

• Brunei1%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei1%2Ejpg.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,729
  • Brunei2%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei2%2Ejpg.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,855
  • Brunei3%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei3%2Ejpg.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,180
  • Brunei4%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei4%2Ejpg.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,800
  • Brunei5%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei5%2Ejpg.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,792
  • Brunei6%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei6%2Ejpg.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,581
  • Brunei7%2Ejpg.jpg
    Brunei7%2Ejpg.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,513
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Yes it is:)
Im guessing you're Pakistani?

The pictures I have are actually from various photoagencies, including Brunei's Infofoto. I alter them ofcourse, since they're too big. The honeymoon pic though, is from ISIFA.com
Some more pics from the honeymoon, Sep 29, 2004
Thanks for these pics. Poor things, They don't look too happy. I'd be ticked off too if there were paparazzi following me; but if it weren't for the paparazzi, we would get to see these photos. Aside from this, I hope the royal couple are having a good time.

Prince Azim of Brunei and his mother arrive at the celebrity screening of "Paycheck" at the Charlotte Street Hotel on January 12, 2004 in London. (Photo by Gareth Davies/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 2861985.jpg
    2861985.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 4,476
  • 2861988.jpg
    2861988.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,860
Prince Azim with his sisters at the "Masks in Aid" charity evening, where celebrity-designed masks are auctioned off for charity, held at Banqueting House, Whitehall Palace on December 15, 2003 in London. (Photo by Steve Finn/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 2812969.jpg
    2812969.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,677
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM: Bruneian Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah (C) and his wives Queen Saleha (L) and Queen Mariam (R) pray to mark the Sultan's 53rd birthday 15 July 1999 at the Istana Nurul Iman in Brunei Darussalam. Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah said his kingdom will push ahead with an ambitious plan to become a Southest Asian trade and service hub even as it reeled from economic contraction. AFP PHOTO (Photo credit should read ROSLAN RAHMAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 51406925.jpg
    51406925.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,571
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM: Bruneian Sultan, Hassanal Bolkiah (C) with his wives Queen Salleha Al-Marhum (L) and Queen Mariam Abdul Aziz (R) in a prayer for blessing during the Sultan's 54th birthday ceremony at the Istana Nurul Iman in Bandar Seri Begawan, 15 July 2000. Sultan Bolkiah, born 15 July 1946 is the 29th monarch and is also one of the longest reigning monarchs in the world. (ELECTRONIC IMAGE) AFP PHOTO/Roslan RAHMAN (Photo credit should read ROSLAN RAHMAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 51344276.jpg
    51344276.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,354
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom