Royal Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zina

Aristocracy
Country
Malaysia
Dayangku: female equivalent of Awangku, title used for unmarried daughters of a Pengiran, retained after marriage if the husband is a commoner.

In Aminah's case, she married a royal, so inherits the title of "Pengiran".

Pengiran: title of married male descendants in the male line of a Sultan or great nobleman, or for any female descendant in the male line who has married a man of that rank.
Basically, Pengiran is someone descended from royalty - A Pengiran's children would be "Dayangku" or "Awangku".
Courtesy of :

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Brunei/brunei.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx Zina
I guess I was wondering if there were any English equivalent of those titles.
Like Prince Sufri's wife Faezah, for example, she doesn't have the title "princess" so I never know what to call her. Would Lady be appropriate?

I think Lady would be as close a term as you get, as far as it comes to an English equivalent for Datin Hjh Faezah.
"Datins" are usually ladies who are married to "Datuks" or "Datos". They are not nobility, according to the website.
It seems that Brunei royal court titles are numerous, so it's difficult to find English equivalents to all of them.

yeah! it is a title like LADY in the UK. For the men is Awangku but when they get married the title will change to PENGIRAN for both men and women.

Hjh = Hajjah

elizahawthorne said:
what does HJH stand for?

I think you refer to Hjh - which is the abbreviation of "Hajjah" - the title given to females who have successfully performed the Islamic rite of "Haj" at Mekkah. Males are given the title "Haji" abbreviation - Hj.

Most of the royals have been on the Haj and have these titles.

oh okay, thanx---Haj is the pilgrimage muslims make to mecca right?

elizahawthorne said:
oh okay, thanx---Haj is the pilgrimage muslims make to mecca right?

yep. Although anyone who has performed the Haj is called Haji or Hajah, not everyone uses the terms as part of their names, though some do. My dad has performed the Haj and he could call himself Haji. Other Muslim royals that Im familiar with, the Jordanians for example (Queens Rania and Noor and other members of the JRF), dont use the terms as part of their official titles.

Clarification of titles

Dang Ayah said:
Ak Md Ezul Hazrin is another alumni of Maktab Sains (Science College) Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan. He was still in Upper Sixth Form in 1999, which was also the year Crown Princess Sarah enrolled into the school. So estimating that he's her senior by 6 years, he should be around 25/26 years old.

Can we just clarify that HRH Pg Ak Isteri Pg Ak Sarah is not a "Crown Princess".

Sarah's title does not translate into "Crown Princess" or even "Princess". Sarah is Her Royal Highness .. but not "Princess" Sarah.

Although Brunei has a Crown Prince .. his wife is not automatically a Crown Princess.

Prince and Princess titles go to the sons and daughters or brothers and sisters of monarchs.

Princess Norain's daughter who was married recently is not a princess either..she is the daughter of a princess.

Dang Ayah said:
yeah, Zina I think I got what you mean... a crown princess is for the daughter of a monarch who will be the ruling Queen. Yup, thanks for that correction. If this is also not correct, by all means, correct me again.

Hi Dang Ayah, even though I only quoted your post, it seems in fact that lots of other people on the forum seem to make the same mistake too, including the moderators - just look at the thread titles:p

Please note that the official language of these forums is English and the majority of our membership is not familiar with Bruneian/Malay titles.
We cannot be technical to the point where we end up making the Brunei forum incomprehensible for most of our members, nor can we go around making them use PAIPA to address Sarah (Raja Isteri for the Sultan’s first wife, Pengiran Isteri for his second, and so on).

Crown Princess and/or Princess Sarah are the most common form of usage in most of the English-speaking media, including Bruneian websites and forums, and, therefore, are an acceptable form of address on The Royal Forums.

~*~Humera~*~
Royal Family of Brunei Moderator

Zina said:
Can we just clarify that HRH Pg Ak Isteri Pg Ak Sarah is not a "Crown Princess".
I'm sorry Zina but Sarah is automatically Crown Princess of Brunei when she married Crown Prince Billah. She is the wife of the Crown Prince. Even in the website : www.bruneiresources.com States she is the Crown Princess. As for Princess Norain's daughter you are right she is not a princess but as the english calls it Lady(Pengiran Anak)

I'm afraid she isn't, if that were the case, and she was "Crown Princess", her title would include that. If you listen to the news on Brunei channels, they never refer to her as "Crown Princess Sarah". Likewise on official Government websites - bruneiresources is not one of those official websites.

Only the sisters and daughters of HM are actually called "Princess" in their titles - they are all "HRH Princess" - Sarah is just "HRH" - and that doesn't make her a Princess according to Brunei royal custom.

I don't know why we are having this discussion. As far as I know Brunei does not have any title that will translate directly as 'Crown Princess'. Nevertheless, I think the title given to Sarah is equivalent to 'Crown Princess' as she is now the third in rank after the Raja Isteri and Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz.
As this is an international forum, I think there's no point in dilly-dallying what titles mean. People just get confused.
Cheers!

Thank you Mimimalil for your quote I agree with you 100%.

Hi,
Could someone please name the names/titles of the children (& spouces and children) of the Sultan?
Thanks.
Josette

I have been sorting out various royal info and here it is. Those in numbers are the children of the Sultan and those in alphabets are his grandchildren.

HM Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah (Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Al-Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Almarhum Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, DOB: 15 July 1946) &
1st wife: HM Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (HM Paduka Seri Duli Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha binti Al-Marhum Pengiran Pemancha Pengiran Anak Haji Mohamed Alam, born Pengiran Anak Saleha, DOB: 7 October 1946) - Married on 28 July 1965

1) HRH Princess Hajah Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri Hajah Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 26 July 1969 ) & YAM Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Shahibul Irshad PgAnak Hj Abdul Rahim (DOB: ) - Married on 15 August 1996
a) YAM Pengiran Anak Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim (DOB: 28 December 1997)
b) YAM Pengiran Anak Hariisah Widadul Bolqiah binti Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
c) YAM Pengiran Anak Abdul Raqiib bin Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim (DOB: 14 May 2002)
d) YAM Pengiran Anak Abdul Haseeb bin Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Shahibul Irshad Pg Anak Hj Abdul Rahim (DOB: 14 January 2006)

2) HRH Crown Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah (Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Paduka Seri Pengiran Muda Mahkota Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah, DOB: 17 February 1974) & Crown Princess Sarah (Yang Teramat Mulia Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Sarah, DOB: 9 April 1987) - Married on 9 September 2004
a) Prince Muda'Abdul Muntaqim (Yang Teramat Mulia Pengiran Muda'Abdul Muntaqim DOB: 17 March 2007)

3) HRH Princess Hajah Muta-wakillah Hayatul Bolkiah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri Hajah Muta-Wakkilah Hayatul Bolkiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 12 October 1971)

4) HRH Princess Hajah Majeedah Nuurul Bulqiah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri Hajah Majeedah Nuurul Bolkiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 16 March 1976) & Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Anak Khairul Khalil (DOB: 28 Feb 1975) - Married on 14 June 2007

5) HRH Princess Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 12 March 1980)

6) HRH Prince Abdul Malik (HRH Pengiran Muda 'Abdul Malik ibni Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 30 June 1983)

2nd wife (Divorced): Former Pengiran Isteri Hajah Mariam binti Haji Abdul Aziz (DOB: ) - Married on 28 October 1981, Divorced in February 2003

Children
1) HRH Prince Abdul Azim, (HRH Pengiran Muda Haji 'Abddul 'Azim ibni Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 29 July 1982)
2) HRH Princess Hajah Azemah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri 'Azemah Ni'matul Bolkiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 26 September 1984)
3) HRH Princess Hajah Fadzilah (HRH Pengiran Anak Puteri Fadzilah Lubabul Bulqiah binti Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 23 August 1985)
4) HRH Prince Abdul Mateen (HRH Pengiran Muda 'Abdul Mateen ibni Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 10 August 1991)

3rd wife: HRH Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar (DOB: 28 September 1979) - Married on 20 August 2005
1) HRH Prince 'Abdul Wakeel (HRH Pengiran Muda 'Abdul Wakeel ibni Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Muizzaddin Waddaulah, DOB: 1 June 2006)

The style is Yang Amat Mulia (I'm not sure how that would translate into English) while Pengiran Anak refers to Princess (see the glossary on this website for more: brunei)

I do believe I've explained this somewhere: Just in case I haven't then...

Yang Teramat Mulia (literally 'One That is Extremely Noble'): His/Her Royal Highness for sons/daughters of reigning Sultan

Yang Amat Mulia (literally 'One That is Very Noble'): His/Her Highness for sons/daughters of prince and princesses

Now, this was a tough one cos it's very sanskrit-influenced...

Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia (literally 'Dust Under The One Who is Most Noble'): His/Her Majesty

Duli Yang Teramat Mulia (literally 'Dust Under The One Who is Extremely Noble'): His Royal Highness for crown prince/top four wazirs

Paduka Seri (literally 'shoes that are radiant'): just an addition in front of the following...

Baginda Sultan (literally 'Conqueror Sultan'): The Sultan

Duli Raja Isteri (literally by each word 'dust ruler wife'): Can't exactly say queen because we just use Raja Isteri.

Duli Pengiran Muda Mahkota (literally by word 'dust prince young crown'): crown prince

Duli Pengiran Muda ('dust prince young'): prince

Pengiran Anak Puteri (literally by word 'prince child princess'): princess

Pengiran Anak Isteri ('prince child wife'): prince's wife usually of royal heritage

Pengiran Bini ('prince wife'): prince's wife usually of non-royal heritage

Pengiran Anak ('prince child'): No translation but equivalent to lords/ladies perhaps.

Sounds so complicated but indeed it is so interesting. thank u Dang Ayah - for sharing.

I forgot to mention 'Paduka Seri' does not go before Pengiran Bini and Pengiran Anak

p/s: Thanks for moving the post to the appropriate thread.

hi dang ayah, i wud be grateful if u cud help me with this confusion.
pengiran is given to man or lady of royal birth. their children will be titled awangku n dayangku n change to pengiran when the are married. if a subject/commoner is given tilte pengiran wud their children get the tiltle awangku n dayangku as well? when their children get married will they too be otomatikly change their titlee to pengiran?
i am soooo confuse. thank you very much in advanced.

Hello zxex,

It all depends where you are in the royal line of succession. Immediate children of the reigning Sultan will have titles as I have shown above. The same rule holds true for the crown prince and his children when he assumes the throne.

The Sultan's male siblings usually become wazirs and their male children still have prince title "pg muda" but their daughters are "Pg Anak". This is still true if they marry a commoner without royal heritage.

Sultan's female siblings may marry a pengiran anak or pengiran and usually their husbands become cheterias (noble ranked pg's). We have seen some pengiran's given the pengiran anak title after marriage to a princess. Their children will have the titles 'pengiran anak' regardless of gender. When a princess marries a true commoner i.e. without royal titles then their children will not have any titles.

If one is a pg anak and have a cheteria father, their children is a pg anak and their descendants thenceforth but only for a few generations (I'm not sure how many). Then the descendants after become just pengiran's (for both gender i.e. they are named Pg from birth). Then after a few generations they are reduced to awangku's and dayangku's.

But only a pengiran as a father can have children with awangku's and dayangku's regardless of his wife's heritage. When a dayangku marries a commoner then their children have no titles.

Sultan+Raja Isteri/ Pg Isteri
|
DPMM/DPM/PAP
|
Pengiran Anak
|
Pengiran
|
Awangku/Dayangku

P/S: Commoners without royal titles are never given Pengiran titles unless they can prove that they are of royal heritage.

Hope that helps.

Hello, may I ask somebody the difference between Pengiran Isteri and Pengiran Bini? Those are titles for the Prince's wife right? But what's the difference? Thank you :)

Hello, may I ask somebody the difference between Pengiran Isteri and Pengiran Bini? Those are titles for the Prince's wife right? But what's the difference? Thank you :)
You can find the answer on page 1 in this thread

Thank You SPHENO :)

Now may I ask somebody, what if the Prince have 2 or 3 wives, the 1st wife will automatically be Pg Isteri or Pg Bini, but what about the other 2? Do they have titles too? If yes, then what title will they get? Thank You :)

Hello. May I ask why is Sarah’s title Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah instead of Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Sarah. I thought she was born a Pengiran not a Pengiran Anak.

Thank You SPHENO :)

Now may I ask somebody, what if the Prince have 2 or 3 wives, the 1st wife will automatically be Pg Isteri or Pg Bini, but what about the other 2? Do they have titles too? If yes, then what title will they get? Thank You :)

Hello, I know it’s a late reply but I will reply anyway since recently I become very interested in this royal family.

The junior wives of a Prince get minor/non royal titles like datin or Puan. Datin was explained before. Puan means lady of high standing, maybe it’s a noble title I’m not sure. The ex-wife or Sultan is now known as Puan Hajah Mariam.

Back
Top Bottom