Queen Saleha Current Events 1: July 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saba said:
No one knows what goes on behind closed doors with the family and especially a husband and wife, any comments regarding that are pure speculation. I would like to think that the Sultan and his wives respect, honor, love and support one another. When Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammed were married there was a lot of "how could they?!" and pics of them show that they are both very happy together. I hope in time this too will prove that the Sultan is very happy and content with his decision to take another wife and that the family and public will see and respect his choice.

If in fact the Sultan did not inform anyone of his plans to marry, then there was obviously a break in the perceived closness that was shared, all the more reason to take another wife. Again, I wish them all well and a lifetime of happiness.

actually it doesnt really matter what one choses to believe personally.
Brunei is a very tiny nation and while the media may be controlled by the Sultan, the affairs of the royal family aren't hidden from its citizens. That should be evident from all the comments of the members who are from the region and know the royal family well. There are members here who see the royals in person often, who go to school with them, know people who work at the royal palace etc. Each and every one of them has had the same reaction and comments about the marriage.
In such a small community it would be impossible keep things private.
Sheikh Muhammad and Princess Haya's situation is different. They didnt act all sneaky about their marriage.
Besides, if there was a "break" in closeness how do you know it wasn't the Sultan's fault? And how can you think that it justifies a man marry another woman? without even informing his wife? I find that appalling.
The Sultan and some of his brothers are known womanizers. Or do you not happen to know about the foreign women being smuggled to their harems?
Hjh Mariam was the Sultan's wife for more than 20 years before he divorced her because the family and others werent happy with her role. And then soon after the Sultan's eye started roving again. Does that sound like a man who was ever close with his first wife?
Queen Saleha must indeed be a strong woman to have put up with this for so long.

Last edited:
Zina said:
Hi Saba, I have to point out, that in fact, the Queen is really very upset. She's been crying her heart out. This is because His Majesty was very sneaky and hadn't told his wife about this other lady. It's a 2 year , "on and off" affair... The Queen only found out about it the day after her husband re-married! Therefore, the 1st wife's permission was not sought, as it should be in Islamic Law. The whole of Brunei thinks very lowly of the Sultan & his family are definitely not sharing in his happiness.... Everything he stands for - Religious piety and family values, etc... he has gone against. Then he did not even announce the marriage in the local media, straight away!

He's lost the respect of his family and entire nation , for what he has done.

If household people claimed to have known that the Sultan was having a relationship, and others claimed to have known from tailors and such that he was planning to marry. Surely his wife was aware, they may live separate lives but certainly aren't that distant from one another that his wife was taken by surprise. And, if in fact he did not tell her, then there is definitely a break down in communication and they are more distant than even most friends. His father had more than one wife at a time; like father like son.

There are many reasons under Islamic law that a man can take another wife, he does not always need the permission of his first wife. Besides, he is the Sultan, he makes the rules in his country and in his family.

Last edited:
Saba said:
If household people claimed to have known that the Sultan was having a relationship, and others claimed to have known from tailors and such that he was planning to marry. Surely his wife was aware, they may live separate lives but certainly aren't that distant from one another that his wife was taken by surprise. And, if in fact he did not tell her, then there is definitely a break down in communication and they are more distant than even most friends. His father had more than one wife at a time; like father like son.

There are many reasons under Islamic law that a man can take another wife, he does not always need the permission of his first wife. Besides, he is the Sultan, he makes the rules in his country and in his family.

the fact that he makes the rule doesnt make it right. His rules seem to have no regard for religion, society, family. There are very strict conditions for polygamy under Islamic law. Its not meant to be something a man does to selfishly please his ego.
I suppose you might have a different view of things because such things a common among many royals of the ME and in the region in general. Im always amazed how women can defend such actions. I doubt they'd feel the same if something like this happened to them.

Last edited:
hania said:
is there any pics of the new wife and teh ceremony???

there are no pics of the ceremony but pictures of the bride are in the Sultan's own thread.

Zina said:
Humera is right about Brunei being so small that nothing is kept private. His Majesty's own little grandchildren were telling their classmates about the Queen's crying, swollen eyes.

And as for being Sultan - it seems as if he's made one set of rules for his citizens and another different set of rules to suit himself. What does that say about his character? Sultan or not -does not make him above the rest of the human race...what goes around, comes around and if HM did not learn his lesson last time with Hjh Mariam, he will learn a bigger, tougher lesson, next time.

Its horrible that the Queen's grandkids have to see all of this happen. She seems like such an affectionate grandmother, always holding her grand-daughters' hands in pictures. Do you know how the Crown Prince is reacting to this?

I know that the Malaysian PM has started his visit to Brunei. In the pictures so far I didnt see his wife accompany him. Do you know if that was done purposely so that Queen Saleha wouldnt have to make an appearance to welcome her? I was reading an article which mentioned that the Sultan will host a dinner for the PM but its not a banquet at the palace.

the reason why Malaysian PM went without his wife is because of her undergoing chemotherapy treatment for her breast cancer in one of the hospital in US. I also eager to see Q Saleha in public .....

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Its horrible that the Queen's grandkids have to see all of this happen. She seems like such an affectionate grandmother, always holding her grand-daughters' hands in pictures. Do you know how the Crown Prince is reacting to this?
I know that the Malaysian PM has started his visit to Brunei. In the pictures so far I didnt see his wife accompany him. Do you know if that was done purposely so that Queen Saleha wouldnt have to make an appearance to welcome her? I was reading an article which mentioned that the Sultan will host a dinner for the PM but its not a banquet at the palace.

Yes! it is..Queen Saleha is being supported by all her love ones at this time in need. The Crown Prince and his siblings are very supportive and caring of their mother, he was very upset. Good thing is now he have a loving and supportive wife by his side to help him through all this.

The Malaysian PM visit is on a working visit and not a state visit, that is also why his wife did not have to accompany him on this visit. I.E: a short visit, discussing matters of state. Because it is not a state visit, that is why they did not have a banquet at the palace. The dinner was at Empire Hotel last night. The Crown Prince and Prince Mohammad also attended.

thanx for the info.
I hope the Queen will be okay and we'll see her in public soon

All sultan's wifes have the title of queen or only queen saleha?

No there has always been one Queen of Brunei (Queen Saleha). The Sultan's ex-second wife was called Princess, a title that was taken away after the divorce. This new second wife has been given no titles yet.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
No there has always been one Queen of Brunei (Queen Saleha). The Sultan's ex-second wife was called Princess, a title that was taken away after the divorce. This new second wife has been given no titles yet.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder why queen saleha keept her title after her divorce,maybe because she's the mother of the crown prince?while the 2nd wife lost her princess title after her divorce.

Queen Saleha is still married to the Sultan.

La la said:
Queen Saleha is still married to the Sultan.

oops,I'm confused,I recall that the sultan had divorced from his wife 2years ago,thought it was Q. saleha:confused:

She has my sympathy. But I guess if that is what you are accustomed to, you deal with it.

michelleq said:
She has my sympathy. But I guess if that is what you are accustomed to, you deal with it.

Nobody is accustomed to their husbands marrying again especially a younger woman. Queen Saleha now is still very upset and because of it she is ill now. I'm praying she will recover soon.

alfie said:
Nobody is accustomed to their husbands marrying again especially a younger woman. Queen Saleha now is still very upset and because of it she is ill now. I'm praying she will recover soon.

Rather insensitive of her husband to marry a second time while she, the first and foremost wife, was sick. I guess some men just don't have any sensitivity at all and think that because they have money that whatever they do is their due. What's that quote? "Just because you have the right to do it, doesn't mean it's right to do it."

I hope she recovers soon, both physically and emotionally.

I didnt know the Queen had become ill because of the recent marriage. I guess thats one of the reasons she hasnt been seen publicly. I hope its nothing serious.

I really hope she is ok. I have met her once long long time ago in brunei with my late mother and also in Selangor, Malaysia later. She remember meeting me earlier. She is a very nice lady. I really hope it is ok. As a woman, a wife and a mother myself, I would not want to share my man. It will tear me to pieces. In her case, she has to endure it in the public eyes in such a manner.

alfie said:
Yes! it is..Queen Saleha is being supported by all her love ones at this time in need. The Crown Prince and his siblings are very supportive and caring of their mother, he was very upset. Good thing is now he have a loving and supportive wife by his side to help him through all this. QUOTE]

I hope the Crown Prince remembers how his mother felt and remember not to do it to his wife. I hope that Queen Saleha recovers soon.

Lisele said:
alfie said:
Yes! it is..Queen Saleha is being supported by all her love ones at this time in need. The Crown Prince and his siblings are very supportive and caring of their mother, he was very upset. Good thing is now he have a loving and supportive wife by his side to help him through all this. QUOTE]

I hope the Crown Prince remembers how his mother felt and remember not to do it to his wife. I hope that Queen Saleha recovers soon.

As the old saying goes.... "Like Father, Like Son"...

Zina said:
In Queen Saleha's position, rather than play the poorly victim, why not follow HM and his new wife where ever they go and make life uncomfortable for the two of them? That's better than lying down and taking it. She's the Queen - she has the Power! I believe the Sultan is in New York now for a meeting/honeymoon with Azrinaz :)

It's not that easy for her, as she is going through an emotional depression plus I don't think he would want to take her even though she begs, he always gets HIS way. She is now in London while the Sultan is in New York with the 2nd wife.

It has been quite sometimes already, sinnce they Sultan got married. She shut her self from public ever since, I'm kind of miss her actually. Any one from Brunei knows what is she up to now? Some one who knows her read this, pls extend my regards, sincerely, and dearly

I agree about the makeup Queen Saleha wears. It could use a modern touch.

Is the Queen back from London?
Im assuming she'll be back for Ramadan.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Is the Queen back from London?
Im assuming she'll be back for Ramadan.

Yes! she is for quite some time now. She is staying with her mother now. The Queen move out of Istana Nurul Iman because the 2nd wife is also staying there.
On another royal family, Princess Rashidah is pregnant with her fourth child & is due sometime in january but they is more sad news for the royal family, apparently her husband has been very mischeivous with other ladies & always coming home late but the last straw is when he was caught with a lady at Empire Hotel very recently. The princess has asked for a divorce but it can only happen after she gives birth next year. For now he is being watched like a hawk 24 hours a day.

Last edited:
do you think the Queen will come back to the palace soon? From what I've seen last year she leads the royal women in quite a few religious events during Ramadan and ofcourse all the family greet people on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr at the royal palace.
Thats very sad about Princess Rashidah's hubby. How can he behave this way when his wife is pregnant with their fourth baby. Is the talk of a divorce serious?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
do you think the Queen will come back to the palace soon? From what I've seen last year she leads the royal women in quite a few religious events during Ramadan and ofcourse all the family greet people on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr at the royal palace.
Thats very sad about Princess Rashidah's hubby. How can he behave this way when his wife is pregnant with their fourth baby. Is the talk of a divorce serious?

I hope so. Everybody is anxious to see her at official functions again.
About Princess Rashidah's hubby the talk of a divorce seems very serious.

It's so sad that the Queen had to move out of her own home. COuldn't the second wife go somewhere else? But at least she will never be divorced.

a soap opera indeed.
No wonder the younger men like Rashidah's hubby are behaving this way. The Sultan isnt exactly the best role model. I am often surprised at how he portrays himself as a pious and upright man when his personal life is quite the reverse. The women in that family must indeed feel very insecure about their position.

Back
Top Bottom