Divorce of Princess Azrinaz and the Sultan: June 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've read, there were rumours circulating of an impending break-up, nothing more specific. I doubt anyone can claim to know the actual reasons behind the divorce. The BRF is very private when it comes to these things.

this is not sad news, this is good news for a majority of people in Brunei :D

If that is true, then I guess I'm not part of that majority then.

I mean here we have a foreigner who had access to our ruler, whom she is now divorced from. That brings about security and confidentiality issues.

Also, we are talking about very young kids who now have to split time between parents in Brunei and Malaysia.

I feel very sad for the kids..

Well.. according to other forums and blogs, the reason Azrinaz was divorced lies in her own fault. But then again, who are we to judge what's right and what's wrong.. Rumours are just rumours, even if it has spread throughout the whole country.Unless of course, it came from His Majesty's mouth or Azrinaz herself.

We are but Human, nobody is perfect, are we? I believe we should not be happy at the downfall of others, even if they are the ones who created the trouble. Lets all just pray for both of them, that they will find what they hope to in their life.. and atone to their mistakes if they have made them; because for all the rumours and speculations that are spreading, the only ones who know the truth are His Majesty and Azrinaz herself. Havent we learnt that things that get passed around changes it reliability when it reaches the next person?

Don't worry, Im not taking sides here, just trying to look at the the rational way. For all that has happened, pity the kids who are still young. I hope that they get to be raised by their mum. because after all, the kids need their mum too.. Im not sayin that they dun need their dad, but all Azrinaz has left now are her kids.. isnt it such a pity..

Well.. life is unpredictable.. We just have to accept what's written in our fate...

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more.:flowers: I want to add another point. You said some say it was Azrinaz's fault. Generally when middle aged or elder men get married with much younger woman, they expect them to be too mature and down to earth for their age. They compare them with their previous wives or partners who are around at the same age as themselves. So they feel disappointed at the end. But they have to make a decision between a beautiful vibrant young lady and a mature experienced lady. You can't combine the comforts of two kinds in one person. If you insist on turning a young woman into a fifty year old woman in terms of behavior, they only create a Frankenstein. :veryevil:

i think the main reason why people do not like this marriage is because the fact that the marriage was held in secret, & us Bruneians only knew about the marriage when the news leaked out in Malaysian newspapers. only then the wedding was officially announced.

and when a friend of mine put a comment in his Facebook status about the divorce, there were more than 100 likes for the status. & some of the comments put by others were like: it's about time! and syukur alhamdulillah! and lots of fireworks being played in celebration! etc.

this is just what i've read & heard from others.

But why did they divorce? I'm not asking why Bruneians are so pleased with it, but the rumoured reason(s) behind it.
Thank you.

I couldn't agree more.:flowers: I want to add another point. You said some say it was Azrinaz's fault. Generally when middle aged or elder men get married with much younger woman, they expect them to be too mature and down to earth for their age. They compare them with their previous wives or partners who are around at the same age as themselves. So they feel disappointed at the end. But they have to make a decision between a beautiful vibrant young lady and a mature experienced lady. You can't combine the comforts of two kinds in one person. If you insist on turning a young woman into a fifty year old woman in terms of behavior, they only create a Frankenstein. :veryevil:

Yes.. :flowers: I truly agree with you. Maybe in this case one of the main reasons is that Azrinaz is nearly 30 plus years younger that HM. That is a whole huge difference in terms of thinking and maturity.. and Azrinaz is a commoner.. naturally she will be stumped by all these protocols whatsoever..

Please do not post any further pm requests here. If you'd like to conduct a private conversation with a member, send them a pm.

Humera
Brunei Forum Moderator

Sultan Divorces 2nd Wife

[FONT=tahoma, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]http://www.bruneiresources.com/azrinaz.html - The special announcement reads: "By command of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, His Royal Highness Prince Hj Sufri Bolkiah, Chairman of Adat Istiadat Council hereby informs that His Majesty, due to special reasons, driven and guided by Syara' laws in the matters of marriage and divorce and in line with the excerpts of Surah Al-Baqarah of the Quran and part of the verses 229 which reads marriage in a proper way (ma'aruf) and also dissolve in a proper way (ihsan) has divorced his wife with a single `Talak'.

[/SIZE][/FONT]Definition of Talak :whistling::whistling::whistling:
Talak is an Arabic word meaning "to release" or "to divorce". Under the Muslim law, talak means "to untie the matrimonial knot by articulating a word denoting divorce."
If a husband utters the word on his wife, the two of them would automatically be divorced and the wife would be in a state of iddah. If, during iddah, the parties wish to reconcile, the divorce may be revoked without their having to go through the process of nikah. Allah says:
AtTalaq_vrs2.gif
"Take them back on equitable terms or part with them on equitable terms."
Quran - 65 : 2.

Divorce - TaLak

Salaam,

The talaq was given on Wed afternoon June 16.

I don't think we shud speculate on the reasons behind the divorce.

Only HM the Sultan and Azrinaz know the exact reason(s).

Many Bruneians did not accept Azrinaz as she is not Bruneian, eventhough she is a Malay Muslim from Malaysia. This is first and foremost why the Bruneians cannot accept her. The "2nd" wife, Mariam eventhough of mixed parentage (Scottish, Japenese and Bruneian) is acceptable to Bruneians as she is Bruneian by birth. The 32 age gap is also probably a contributing factor, eventhough the Sultan at 62 still a dashing man :)

A divorce is not something to rejoice, however it is allowed in Islam. I believe the Sultan has married her in good faith and divorce her in good faith, with ehsan.

The most precious for her is not the wealth nor the tiaras, but her 2 children, which I am sure the Sultan being a kind and just man will let her have custody. I don't think she will go back to public office and will probably live her life in secluded privacy with her 2 children.

In the end it is all written in our life destiny. I wish them the best.

Honestly speaking from all the events photos published since her marriage, Azrinaz always gave me a feeling of sadness when you look at her eye - not only she seldom smile but the feeling of just seems that she was been forced to be at where she was. I will not contribute it to been nerve or camera shy as she's after alll, a TV journalist, before her marriage.

I felt that she may have difficulties adjusting to the royal life. I am not too sure about muslim custom but I guess the custom vary in 2 different countries too. Even down to the extend of how the tudong been wore - the rest of the royal families wore theirs the very traditional way whereas she's always just use it loosely wrap around her hair. Modern but look quite out of place among the other royal ladies.

i think the main reason why people do not like this marriage is because the fact that the marriage was held in secret, & us Bruneians only knew about the marriage when the news leaked out in Malaysian newspapers. only then the wedding was officially announced.

Salaam,

Personally, I believe the "sadness" is just her "personality", she is just not a "smiley" person. Many people who has met her in person, say she is a humble individual. From what I read, she is a private person and may be seen as "aloof" by the Bruneians. Also it is hard to mingle when people do not give you a chance.

IMHO if there is another marriage in the future for the Sultan, it is best for him to marry a fellow Bruneian accepted by his subjects.

Azrinaz is an educated lady and I believe she can live her life with dignity, in her phase outside of the palace. I believe it was the Sultan that fell in love with her at first sight and became her "fan" following her news reading on Malaysian TV. I believe it was difficult for her to say no when he asked for her hand in marriage. As one of the richest man and the most powerful in his nation, I am sure he can have his picks of candidates, more beautiful and lovelier, but somehow he chose Azrinaz. It was her destiny to marry the Sultan.

We muslims believe, our destiny lie with God. Their marriage life has ended, and only these two individuals know the reason for their divorce. It must be a difficult decision for the Sultan whom I see as a very just, kind and fair individual.

With regards to the "tudong", she is wearing the "selendang" in some formal occasions. I don't think she is fully "hijabi" yet, perhaps she will in the future.

I also know many Bruneian friends who only wear the tudong in Brunei, but when they are abroad they do not. Except for Queen Saleha and all her daughters who are in full hijab all the time, you will see Mariam (the ex-wife) and her two daughters do not when they are in London, so does Sarah the CP's wife when she is abroad.

With Malaysians if they are not fully "hijabi" they tend to wear the "selendang" at formal occasions. However, once they decided to be fully covered, they will wear the full hijab (tudong = means "covering") no matter where they are, in Malaysia or abroad.

I hope this explains.

Wasalaam.

From my observation, even PRI Saleha did not know about it. I just came back from Paris and someone who just accompanied PRI Saleha on a shopping trip in Milan, asked me about her and the marriage when the news first leaked in Malaysia. I had to google to find out about Azrinaz coz I have not heard of her as I don't watch the Malaysian news much. I believe it is the Sultan's decision to keep the matter private to respect PRI and probably due to the big age gap, IMHO. I do not think Azrinaz had any say in such matter, for she can't even announced the name of the groom in her personal wedding invitations to close friends and families. But since it was held at the Rumah Awang Alak Betatar (the Brunei Royal residence in Malaysia) in Jalan Ampang, eventually the newshounds figured it out.

Also it is hard to mingle when people do not give you a chance.
That's a very good point. And I agree that we can't judge whether or not she was sad. We're not privy to her thoughts and personal life. I have seen plenty of pictures of Azrinaz where she appeared at ease, smiling, and happy, even in conversations with the Queen. Some people can appear more reserved at official events than others. It's not possible for them be smiling all the time in front of the camera.

I wonder if she will move back to Malaysia with her children?

many bruneian people may truly knews what did she done before the announcement of her divorce! the rumours that spreads around the brunei were some true and not. and only the royal councils and the royal families themselves knew whats the actual reasons of the divorce! :)

I cannot believe you rejoice after the ending of a marriage. For us non-Bruneian can you pls explain why is this such a joyous event?

for the common reasons,bruneian people joy about the announcement,was because she was commoner or the bad things that she had done to the royal families and the people! i may knew the reasons of the divorce but i cant sure that was true.:flowers:

Thanks for your response. I wonder if she will move back to Malaysia with her children?

I am not sure what is the protocol w her children w the Sultan, since by birth they are still considered Bruneian royalties.

She should moved back to Malaysia where all her families are instead of living overseas such as London. I am sure the Sultan being a fair and just person I believe would be accomodating to a mother and her young children relationship and let her take care of the young children. I believe the scenario in Malaysia is more than acceptable to Sultan, with Malaysia being a muslim country w all the necessary global and modern facilities available for a good education and international exposure to bring the children up. It is only a hop away from Brunei.

Salaam,

With regards to the rumours, we shouldn't speculate becoz none of us are actually in the know and ACTUAL witnesses to any of the rumours.

In my observations, many stories and rumours turned out to be just that, rumours and gossips.

I believe the Sultan, Queen Saleha and family are some of the nicest people and if the Sultan himself does not wish to share the reasons , it is not for us to speculate especially if such speculations wl tarnish the image of others. IMO, some of the rumours being circulated are just too bizarre to make sense.

Surah An Nuur Ayah 19, Al Quran:
"Those who love (to see) scandal published broadcast among the Believers, will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: Allah knows, and ye know not".

In Islam, fitnah or slanders is a sin worst than adulteries and killing. I believe only Allah should judge His creations and we should leave it as it is.

I am sure the Sultan being a just and fair person has made a decision that is best for him and those involved and all and with valid reasons upon consulting the Syara' laws.

I am sure this divorce at least wl serve a better purpose to give the Bruneians the relief that their Sultan is no longer married to a foreigner.

I do wish them the best.

Wasalaam.

Question...

Salaam, I believe the Sultan has married her in good faith and divorce her in good faith, with ehsan. I don't think she will go back to public office and will probably live her life in secluded privacy with her 2 children.

Hello,

Since he "told her three times they were divorced" is that it? Are they actually divorced, or will it be finalized after going to court? See here in the "West" you must go to court and a judge will dictate who get's what...such as who gets primary custody of the two children, how much child support/spousal support...thus and so. This questions is not intended to offend only asking a general question. Trying to understand the difference in marriage, such as was there a contract and is a marriage contract like a marriage license or a prenuptial?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The best thing is life is freedom! Fly away Azrina....you're still young and beautiful.....you're educated and a good Malaysian.....don't fight the rumours..let them talk...time will tell the truth cos Allah knows. Welcome back to Malaysia!!

According to official sources, all of her royal decorations (including jewels) have been rescinded by Royal decree. :eek:
What's your source? I've read no mention of the jewels, only the titles, state decorations etc.

It does make sense to also take the jewls away, I dont see them allowing her to keep any of them or at least the big pieces? Were they given to her in the first place?

Yes it'd make sense for the jewels to stay with the BRF, I was just wondering if this was declared officially. I've seen her wear three tiaras which I believe were new and commissioned for her.

The best thing is life is freedom! Fly away Azrina....you're still young and beautiful.....you're educated and a good Malaysian.....don't fight the rumours..let them talk...time will tell the truth cos Allah knows. Welcome back to Malaysia!!

I don't agree. The gratest thing we have in the world is LOVE, and love always keeps away a little of your freedom. When you are a mother and have children you must to wake four times in the middle of the night just to feed them, later, you must educate them to make of them good women and men, and so on. When you loves someone (husband, wife, children, friends, parents and other relatives) you are leting aside freedom. The true loving people are slaves; slaves anchained by the wonderful and golden chains of love.Being "educated" is not all in life. Some uneducated persons are made of gold, for they know how to give all the best of themselves to make other's lives better; some educated people are just trash, for they are selfish, proud and haughty to others. The best people in the world is these who is educated and loving at the same time. But this is very rare to find.:bang:

I do not know what happened to Azrinaz and the Sultan, since I'm not from Brunei and people from this Kingdom seems not wanting to tell us what they REALLY thinks about this divorce, so I cannot judge this particular case. However I have two little things to said: if we judge Azrinaz and/or the Sultan it is not for we are judgamental or people who doesn't allow other people to live their own life. Azrinaz and the Sutlan are PUBLIC characters who influences terribily in their subjects. They are RULERS so they cannot do all that they wants to. The other little think has to do with jewels...Who could be interested in who could remain the owner of the jewels when a divorce occured? Jewels are the less important thing in this matter. Here, there is a couple who is divorcing, and little children who are suffering from it. Here, there is a Kingdom who knows that their Sultan is divorcing his wife. :sad: . Jewels? Who could be thinking about jewels right now???

I don't approve divorce, but again I wonder why, people from Brunei wouldn't share with us why they wouldn't like Azrinaz.

Vanesa.

Sure is right. Welcome back to Malaysia and have a good life.

Most Malaysian already knew the rumours behind the divorce. It hurts us as much as it must had hurt Azrina because she is our people. As the malay proverb says ' Hujan emas di negeri orang..lebih baik hujan batu di negeri sendiri. ' Many Malaysian sympathized with Azrina. Time will tell the truth. This is another major turning point in her life, it's her destiny. To quote a saying....To be In Love Is a Dream...Marriage Is The Alarm Clock...and....Divorce is The Nightmare.
Que Sera.....Sera....What will be...will be.:lucky:

But I think she would NOT divorce the Sultan. So, she wouldn't return to Malaysia. As far as she remains the second wife of the Sultan, she'll be living in Brunei. Isn't it? :)

Vanesa.

Back
Top Bottom