Vatican City State: The Conclave 12-14 March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:vaticanflag:

Today at 09.30AM local time the Cardinals will gather in what is called a pre-conclave to choose a date to start the Conclave,the ancient election procedure to elect a new Pontifex Maximus.

Usually a forthnight was between the passing of a Pope and the start of the Conclaves,but the previous Pontiff provided for an earlyer start.In this case it might mean the start of the Conclave will be sometime next week already.The Cardinals will be "locked in" the Sistine Chapel,con clave,and will vote,three times a day,in order to elect a new Head of the Roman Catholic Church & Monarch of The Vatican.

I wonder if we will have a new pope by Easter....

LaRae

I wonder if we will have a new pope by Easter....

LaRae

Again,Deo Volente,but I think it highly probable given the 3 weeks between now and Palm Sunday and the start of the Holy Week.As long as they have a well thought over vote as it is no sinecure to be elected into that position and face the consequences of being the Successor on the Seat of Peter.Wisdom,I wish them wisdom.But in the scenario there isn't a new Pontiff by Easter,the Camerlengo,Mgr.Bertone,will be in charge of proceedings still,which would be historical too,Easter without a Pope.

Benedict was considered, at the time of his election, to be a transitional bridge between the conservative JP2 and what many hoped to be a younger more aware pope on the next go round. Lets hope we get that younger, more aware pope this time. but Numero Uno...one with clean hands on the Sexual Abuse scandal. The church has lost millions of followers due to the mishandling of the last 2 popes.

Imposter dressed as cardinal sneaks into Vatican ahead of conclave to elect pope and gets as far as synod square before being led away
An imposter dressed as a cardinal sneaked into the Vatican today to try to take part in the talks to elect the next pope - and was only rumbled when security guards noticed his robes were too short. The child abuse protester, calling himself 'Basilius', shook hands with his 'fellow cardinals' and made it as far as the square outside the Paul VI audience hall before he was caught and taken away. The security breach came as 103 real cardinals arrived in Rome to start the meeting that will choose when the pope is elected. The decision will be delayed because 12 cardinals have still not arrived.
So, if the length of his robes and the colour of sash were accurate, how far would he made? And what if he weren't a peaceful protester?
Sometimes the security at such high-profile events really amazes me, and not in a good way.

Again,Deo Volente,but I think it highly probable given the 3 weeks between now and Palm Sunday and the start of the Holy Week.As long as they have a well thought over vote as it is no sinecure to be elected into that position and face the consequences of being the Successor on the Seat of Peter.Wisdom,I wish them wisdom.But in the scenario there isn't a new Pontiff by Easter,the Camerlengo,Mgr.Bertone,will be in charge of proceedings still,which would be historical too,Easter without a Pope.

I wonder who will lead the Angelus at Easter if a new pope is still not found.

BTW: I am so excited who the next Pontiff will be!

I think Cardinal Bertone will if there is no pontiff.

LaRae

What is the longest the conclave has lasted post WWII? It doesn't really seem to take them too long.

4 days

2005 - elected on 4th ballot - on 2nd day
1978 - elected on 8th ballot - on 3rd day
1978 - elected on 4th ballot - on 2nd day
1963 - elected on 6th ballot - on 3rd day
1958 - elected on 11th ballot - on 4th day

Days counted based on dates - hence 4 days for 1958 by my count 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th while Wikipedia counts that as three days - presumbaly going 28-25=3

The start of the Conclave is set for tuesday afternoon march 12th.In the morning the Cardinals will attend Holy Mass at the St.Peter Basilica.I think it safe to say we will have a new Pontifex Maximus within a week from today!

Last edited:
Seems that Cardinal Odilo Scherer, from Brazil, is the favorite to become the next Pope.

There are several Papabili,he is one:flowers:

Yeah, probably, media is always confusing us. Here, in Brazil, they're saying that Cardinal Scherer is the next Pope.

But in Italy, media is certainly saying that one of the Italians Cardinal is the favorite.

The same goes for all the other countries. Everyone wants to see the next Pope coming from his/her country.

There is one phrase concerning the conclave: "Who comes into the conclave as a pope leave the conclave as cardinal!"

I guess they will be in conclave one week.

Telegraph has said that many high officers in Vatican are backing Cardinal Scherer.

Maybe we'll see the first non-European Pope in centuries.

I'll be watching the coverage.

The start of the Conclave is set for tuesday afternoon march 12th.In the morning the Cardinals will attend Holy Mass at the St.Peter Basilica.I think it safe to say we will have a new Pontifex Maximus within a week from today!

Oh that's excellent news! I will be glued to the TV set! I suspect this weekend many people will start travelling to Rome to witness it all happening if they're not already there.

I wonder how the cardinals are feeling, knowing that one of them will be elected. To imagine that the new pope is amongst them somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom