Vatican City State: Beatification of John Paul II - May 1, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Albert II and Queen Paola will attend also.
2 Catholic Queens in white .

For Belgium King Albert II and Queen Paola will be present. Albert II signed the first euthanasia bill though.

Ok so thats royals from Spain & Belgium ,I'm also thinking maybe the Grand Duke & Duchess of Luxembourg and possibly Prince Albert II & Princess Charlene of Monaco and perhaps a Princely representative from Liechtenstein?

Ok so thats royals from Spain & Belgium ,I'm also thinking maybe the Grand Duke & Duchess of Luxembourg and possibly Prince Albert II & Princess Charlene of Monaco and perhaps a Princely representative from Liechtenstein?

From Luxembourg the Grand Duke, the Grand Duchess, the Hereditary Grand Duchess and Princes Louis and Sebastien will attend according the agenda at monarchie.lu

Maybe the Habsburgs will be there too. What about the Princes of Savoy, the German Catholic Princes, the Duke and the Duchess of Braganza, the Duke and the Duchess of Anjou?

From Luxembourg the Grand Duke, the Grand Duchess, the Hereditary Grand Duchess and Princes Louis and Sebastien will attend according the agenda at monarchie.lu

Luxembourg's Grand Ducal Family will be there en masse!

Let's see if the King of Belgium will attend after what he did with that horrible law regarding children euthanasia.

If he would, he still would be very welcome at the Vatican! The pope shall be much more tolerant towards the duties of a head of state then some people here...

German ZDF has begun its broadcast from the Holy Sea.
You also watch it online.

Maybe the King of the Netherlands and Queen Máxima will be represented by their cousin Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme and his spouse Princess Viktória. Recently the King has appointed his cousin as the Ambassador representing the Kingdom of the Netherlands at the Holy See. It is unlikely the King and Queen themselves will attend the proceedings at the Vatican. After all the King is not catholic and today he is celebrating his birthday inside the family sphere.

We saw the Luxemburger Royal family on tv at the event

Was King Letsie III of Lesotho also present? It seemed to me that I saw him.

I watched only a part of the ceremony but it was very poignant!

Saw bits of it on TV, very beautiful ceremony. The sea of people reminded me of John Paul II's funeral...it was packed!

Surprised Prince Albert of Monaco or any of his relatives were not at the mass

Last edited:
A real triumph of faith today in Saint Peter's Square!

Why was Albert's presence a surprise? He is a(former reigning) King, a Catholic one, and is representing the Catholic Belgian RF.

The Belgian RF had close relationships with both John XXIII and John Paul II.

I am happy to see that Juan Carlos has recovered sufficiently to attend this event, I didn't expect to see him. I thought he would send Felipe and Letizia.

Last edited:
Sorry I wrote wrong. I'm surprised that Prince Albert of Monaco wasn't there!

Yes, I agree with you Marty. Albert is a Catholic Head of State and if he could not attend he should have sent Princess Charlene or one of his nephews.

I sometimes don't understand Albert's behavior at all. His parents would never have made such a faux pas.

i think that all other catholic royals did attend, right?

Saw bits of it on TV, very beautiful ceremony. The sea of people reminded me of John Paul II's funeral...it was packed!

It is always packed on highdays (Christmas, Easter, Jubilees, canonizations and papal funerals as well inthronisations). In Europe these events are always broadcast via Eurovision and I can not remember there was ever an empty Piazza San Pietro...

:flowers:

Do we know if any of the Catholic members of the BRF were present? I'm thinking of Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor or Princess Michael.

It is indeed always crowded on holidays Duc et Pair, but not to the extent as it was for the funeral Mass for John Paul II when upwards of 2 million pilgrims packed the Square and beyond.

The crowds were so massive that they could be seen from outer space satellite!:eek:

The Duke and the Duchess of Gloucester represented the British queen.

Back
Top Bottom