Tonga - Death of HM King George Tupou V, 18 March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any pics of the kava ceremony for the new king?

Do we know if he will have the formal "Britsih style" coronation like his predecessors or if he will forgo that ceremony due to the economic situation?

Do we know if he will have the formal "Britsih style" coronation like his predecessors or if he will forgo that ceremony due to the economic situation?

So far there have been no news yet on his western more public coronation. I dare say he will want one as it will give him an opportunity to host foreign dignitaries and guests personally to develop personal relationships of his own.

My guess is if there is to be one it will be next year. The costs will be significantly lower as the late Majesty Tupou V had to not only fund the ceremony and surrounding events but also significantly improve the the capitals infrastructure for it to occur. The legacy his late Majesty left is a significantly more modern Tongan not only in political frameworks but also infrastructures.

I think if HM King Tupou VI decides to proceed with a western styled coronation as have all his predecessors have since his late Majesty Tupou I, it will be more restrained than that of his late Majesty King Tupou V.

Back
Top Bottom