The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Bhutan - April 14-15, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rudolph

Majesty
City
Country
Canada
Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will make an official visit to Bhutan this spring

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
The visit is being carried out at the request of the Government..Prince Charles visited #Bhutan in 1998, the Duke of York in 2010

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
In Bhutan, William and Kate will meet the kingdom's King and Queen. (Pix AFP/Office for Media Bhutan)

https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/685407800080646144

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
BBC News - Bhutan country profile

Bhutan country profile - BBC News

Last edited:
I'm really excited. Especially for them to meet the King and Queen!

Well, this are good news, but the didn't come unexpectedly as some journos had already said that the couple would travel to Bhutan as well as to India!

i'm very excited - what an interesting trip to do. i wasn't aware that there were british interests in bhutan, but i am obviously excited to see them with the King and Queen! i guess by that point the child of the King and Queen will have been born? i hope the queen is able to join.

i am already wondering what kate will choose to wear, as the queen is always in traditional dress, so i guess kate will want to somehow mimic that demure and nationalistic image.

My inner cynic is rising.
Bhutan has a population of less than 800,000. It's been an effective democracy since 2008 (ratification). It has lingering issues with religious freedom. It has no official diplomatic representation with the major UN nations. India serves as mouthpiece. It does hold a strategic position near China and India. It also holds large wildlife reserves that are facing the same threats to wildlife species as across the world.
It also has been named the happiest Asian nation and has a very attractive Royal Couple that get a lot of press, in large part (IMHO) because they are so darn cute. Did I mention they favor colorful and distinctive native dress? They take a grand photo. And they are expecting their first child. Charming.
Do I think Bhutan deserves the support of Democratic nations as it builds its freedoms? Absolutely. Do I see the aid their wildlife reserves can provide to threatened Asian species? Without doubt.
And do I think this is a PR master's dream of a state visit, photo op wise? Completely. Do I think the visit by the very photogenic W and C to this small country would be happening at this time were the King and Queen older or less photogenic? Cynically, I do not.
And I will look at every photo I can get my hands on when they visit. ;)

Bhutan has a population of less than 800,000. It's been an effective democracy since 2008 (ratification). It has lingering issues with religious freedom. It has no official diplomatic representation with the major UN nations. India serves as mouthpiece. It does hold a strategic position near China and India. It also holds large wildlife reserves that are facing the same threats to wildlife species as across the world.
It also has been named the happiest Asian nation and has a very attractive Royal Couple that get a lot of press, in large part (IMHO) because they are so darn cute. Did I mention they favor colorful and distinctive native dress? They take a grand photo. And they are expecting their first child. Charming.
Do I think Bhutan deserves the support of Democratic nations as it builds its freedoms? Absolutely. Do I see the aid their wildlife reserves can provide to threatened Asian species? Without doubt.
And do I think this is a PR master's dream of a state visit, photo op wise? Completely. Do I think the visit by the very photogenic W and C to this small country would be happening at this time were the King and Queen older or less photogenic? Cynically, I do not.
And I will look at every photo I can get my hands on when they visit. ;)
I get your point. And all of them are true. But Charles was there in -98 and Andrew in -10 :)

And since William was in China+Japan recently, they are going to India and Harry to Nepal it feels like the government is pushing something over in Asia. Probably building ties since Asian countries are getting more powerful

I'm looking forward to this visit! I find Bhutan to be a fascinating country so it will be nice to see the Cambridges there.

It will be lovely to see the Cambridges with the King and Queen of Bhutan. I also wonder if Catherine will wear any Bhutanese fabrics whilst she is there. They are gorgeous and Jetsun Pema always looks stunning in them.

I'm looking forward to this visit! I find Bhutan to be a fascinating country so it will be nice to see the Cambridges there.

I also find Bhutan fascinating and would love to see and hear more about it. That area of the world has always interested me but I know next to nothing about it (except for Nepal/India).

I could look it up, if I felt like it, but there is a tiny mountain country over there that used to have an American queen. They were divorced and she moved back to the U.S. with the kids. Can't remember the name of the country. Maybe I will just take the time to look it up.

Anyway, I'm rambling . . . I'm looking forward to the Duke and Duchess visiting Bhutan and meeting the lovely King and Queen. Hopefully, we will see the beautiful new baby.

OH MY GOD!!! This is the best news ever! I'm a fan of Bhutan and their Majesties (Please check Jetsun Pema fashion style on the fashion thread, I'm always updating with news).
But spring? Jetsun Pema baby isn't going to be born around February/March? I hope she attends, it would be a shame to not see her with Catherine.

I also find Bhutan fascinating and would love to see and hear more about it. That area of the world has always interested me but I know next to nothing about it (except for Nepal/India).

I could look it up, if I felt like it, but there is a tiny mountain country over there that used to have an American queen. They were divorced and she moved back to the U.S. with the kids. Can't remember the name of the country. Maybe I will just take the time to look it up.

Anyway, I'm rambling . . . I'm looking forward to the Duke and Duchess visiting Bhutan and meeting the lovely King and Queen. Hopefully, we will see the beautiful new baby.

Is this the queen whom you were referring to? I was interested in your additional info so did some research :)

Is this the queen whom you were referring to? I was interested in your additional info so did some research :)

Yes, that's the American woman I was talking about. I had no idea Sikkim was annexed by India. I was aware of the divorce and the King's death but all the other info about the family was very interesting. Thanks for looking it up.

:previous: You're welcome. I wasn't that knowledgeable about the Sikkim RF beforehand (I Googled something like "himalayan american queen" to discover her) so I found it rather insightful too.

It also has been named the happiest Asian nation and has a very attractive Royal Couple that get a lot of press, in large part

They take a grand photo. And they are expecting their first child.

And do I think this is a PR master's dream of a state visit, photo op wise? Completely. ;)

:whistling:Harry is scheduled to visit Nepal. Bhutan is next door.
Seems odd to send both William and Harry to the same area during the Spring. :whistling:

Why send William and Kate to Bhutan and not Harry?
Why send Harry to Nepal and not William and Catherine?
How come William and Catherine cannot visit Nepal, Bhutan and India in one royal tour?

Big PR move to send William and Kate to Bhutan where the Bhutanese royal couple are expecting a baby.:whistling:

Considering Will and Kate were already going to India, isn't it more suspicious Harry is going to Nepal? Why didn't they just group it in with the other two countries? Adding another country to Kate and Will's trip to India makes sense, so I don't really get some conspiracy being hinted here.

Maybe India and Nepal don't get along that great so adding Nepal to the India trip would have insulted the Indians. India is the big fish not Bhutan or Nepal. The U.K. govt would want to suck up to the Indians like they did for the Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The reason I think Harry is going to Nepal is that it is the home of the Gurkhas - so there is a strong military tie between UK and the Country.

Or maybe William and Kate didn't want to be away from their children for an extra number of days that adding Nepal to the itinerary would necessitate.

Cepe - you are correct - that would probably be the connection between Harry and Nepal - didn't the Ghukhas help look after Harry on his first tour of Afghanistan? Some say 'guard him' but I suspect it was a bit of that and a bit of Harry worked with them on occasions as well.

Gurkha brigades do get attached to many regiments. And they were out in Afghanistan. They are fearsome fighters and very loyal to the Monarchy.

Her Royal Highness Princess, Chimi Yangzom Wangchuck will receive the Royal Couple of England at the Paro International Airport.

Later in the afternoon, His Majesty the King will grant an audience to Their Royal Highnesses at Tashichhodzong.

His Majesty The King and The Gyaltsuen will also host a private dinner in honor of the Duke and Duchess at the Lingkana Palace.

Prince William and his wife, Kate Middleton will also hike to Taktshang in Paro on their second day in country.

Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess will be on a two-day visit to Bhutan. They leave on April 16.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to arrive tomorrow - BBS | BBS

The couple have arrived in Bhutan

https://twitter.com/KeirSimmons/status/720480817806487552

They were greeted by Princess Chimi (king's eldest sister) and her husband

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail

Princess Chimi is the eldest child of the former king by a month and 11 days (Chimi was born Jan 10, 1980 and the king February 21st). She is the mother of the first royal grandchild, her son Dasho was born in 2006, the only grandchild of the previous king until the still unnamed crown prince was born. Both her and her husband have attended Columbia (their son born in Thailand). Not sure if they live in Bhutan now.

Last edited:
This live stream is fascinating. I can't understand a word but it so interesting. These news guys almost never pause. They have to tag team it. The images are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom