Pope Francis Current Events Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pope Francis received the Prime Minister of Lebanon Saad Hariri and his wife Lara for a private audience at the Vatican today:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The Pope welcomes the Prime Minister of Lebanon at the Vatican.

The Pope meets with the Prime Minister of Lithuania.

The Pope had a video audience to astronauts at the International Space Station.

The Archbishop of Canterbury visits the Pope at the Vatican.

Pope Francis paid a visit to the U.S. Cemetery on November 1st

The President of Paraguay visits the Pope in the Vatican for fourth time.

Pope Francis meets with Saudi Arabian representative in the Vatican

:previous:
A representative's from Saudi Arabia audience with Pope Frances is quite unusual.

I don't find it odd at all. People tend to forget that as well as being the head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Francis is also the head of state. The Vatican is the smallest country in the world and is listed as being an absolute monarchy. :D

The New Ecuador Ambassador presents his credentials to the Pope at the Vatican.

The Pope Francis welcomes spectacular children's choir to the Vatican at the Clementine Hall.

Thankyou for this thread An Ard Ri! I'll be in Rome at New Year and I've got tickets to attend the Te Deum led by His Holiness. Your posts are helping to make me feel well prepared for my trip!

Happy Birthday to Pope Francis!

The Pope receives 7 new ambassadors at the Vatican.

The New U.S. Ambassador,Callista Gingrich presents her credentials to the Pope at the Vatican.

The Pope Calls for Peace in Jerusalem during his Christmas Day address

I miss the days of Benedictus, his eruditism, his soft and gentle manner, his style and ceremonial. In this thread the Pope receives new Ambassadors. While every Ambassador dresses up according protocol, the Pope himself could not be less bothered. Also when Heads of State make a State Visit, pffff... just his plain see-through soutane.

Pope Benedictus and his predecessors dressed up in choir dress and mozzetta to receive ambassadors and heads of state. For the Christmass Address and the benediction Urbi et Orbi other Popes were festive. Again Franciscus could not be bothered. No. Not my style.

Example: the Italian President Napolitano visits the Pope in full ornate. The Pope responds in full ornate: http://www.liberoquotidiano.it/resizer/610/-1/true/cut1361625811656.jpg--.jpg

Example: the Spanish Ambassador, in ful ornate, visits the Pope. The Pope responds in full ornate: https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...jesus-figa-lopezpalop-the-picture-id112263620

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, my heart still belongs to the Pope Emeritus. He was just such a figure of authority and his writings were so inspired. I find it difficult to love Francis, though of course that doesn’t change my absolute obedience to him.

I do think that The Holy Father has a more relaxed approach to situations however formal which can be more convivial to the occasion. The expected meeting of the Pontiff with queen Elizabeth next year will require the necessary Uber humanity with associated gentle gestures in the thorny environs of Northern Ireland. This will be a moment of historic proportions than no American dollars or EU peace funds could muster.

tps://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/joint-visit-to-northern-ireland-by-pope-and-queen-would-be-momentous-says-archbishop-36423213.html

What I love about Pope Francis is that not only is he the supreme head of the Roman Catholic Church, but he's also a man that walks the walk of what the church teaches. I love his humility. I love his ability to see each and every person he meets as the eternal souls that they are.

Pomp and pageantry and protocol all have their place. So do well written intelligent papers but to me, the most important thing is that Francis has the ability to see a Head of State as being on the same level as a homeless man. This is what those that strive to work for peace see as important. The meeting in North Ireland between HH, The Pope and HM, Queen Elizabeth II is going to be monumental. Two souls that deeply and faithfully express their beliefs in their everyday lives and their interactions with people.

His humility is admirable of course but sometimes His Holiness can be less than humble in his agenda. The way he has dealt with Cardinal Sarah and others who have critiqued his teachings has been so telling. Oh I how wish that Pope Benedict had had the strength to continue. We had such a wonderful Pope in him. He will be a Saint one day, of that I am sure.

What I love about Pope Francis is that not only is he the supreme head of the Roman Catholic Church, but he's also a man that walks the walk of what the church teaches. I love his humility. I love his ability to see each and every person he meets as the eternal souls that they are.

Pomp and pageantry and protocol all have their place. So do well written intelligent papers but to me, the most important thing is that Francis has the ability to see a Head of State as being on the same level as a homeless man. This is what those that strive to work for peace see as important. The meeting in North Ireland between HH, The Pope and HM, Queen Elizabeth II is going to be monumental. Two souls that deeply and faithfully express their beliefs in their everyday lives and their interactions with people.

The Pope lashing out to European countries for doing more, more, more for refugees, all too easily ignoring the overflooding at the Italian and Greek coasts and traveling all their way through Europe where millions actually have found shelter and a living. The Pope did not lash out to the über-wealthy Arab states, swimming in their oil dollars, building the highest skyscrapers, constructing artificial islands of luxury but not helping their fellow islamic brothers and sisters in exodus from Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, the Palestine occupied territories, no... it is not them who gets the whipping from the Pope.

At the cathedra the Pope speaks out for the oppressed, the tortured. But when he was in Myanmar, where an ethnic cleansing is unfolding in front of our eyes, he did not mention the word Rohinya.

For so far the activist Bergoglio Pope. Give me any day a Pope with serenity, respect for old traditions and liturgy and the good advice of a wise father.

About dressing up: note that when the dresscode for civilians is "up", also priests follow the dresscode. At the recent funeral of former King Michael, the Apostolic Nuncio was dressed in black-with-purple including a silk purple cappa. That is the dresscode. Likewise when cardinals go on audience with the Pope: you will not see them in their daily suits, no, they dress up in black-with-scarlet, in choir dress or with scarlet cappa. They respect the dresscode, dress up to meet the Pontiff. This Pope however act as if he could not be bothered less and appears in his schmutzy thin daily cassock (just a role he plays because as Cardinal Bergoglio he was not different than other cardinals).

Also the annual lashing out to the Roman Curia is tiring. Which normal employer does that? Assemble the staff at Christmas time and then only hell and doom to come over them because this Pope (contrary to the almost in stealth mode operating Benedictus XVI) achieves little or nothing.

Last edited:
:previous:I agree. He behaves like a dictator in private and a Saint in public. And there's very little ground in between.

The Pope welcomes the new ambassador from Uruguay at the Vatican.

Pope Francis makes surprise visit to children at Pediatric hospital in Rome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom