Kingdom of Tonga

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King’s body flown home to Tonga

By Planet-Tonga

By :Getty

1-4 Moari King Tuheitia Paki, his wife and son, bids farewell to the Queen, before taking the body of her husband back to Tonga

5-6 king’s daughter Princess Pilolevu

Last edited:

By :Getty

Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho, wife of the late Tongan King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV at Whenuapai Airbase on September 13, 2006 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Late Monarch arrives in Tonga

1 Polfoto
2-4 palaceoffice.gov.to

Iain said:
One source said he will be Taufa'ahua Tupou V and another said he will be George Tupou V. We will just have to wait and see.
The Australian media are referring to the new King as 'Taufa'ahau Tupou V', but this may be an assumption rather than fact.

Warren said:
The Australian media are referring to the new King as 'Taufa'ahau Tupou V', but this may be an assumption rather than fact.

Today on the Matangi Tonga web site there is a picture of the new king waiting for the body of his father and they call him George Tupou V.

Funeral

The new king has received condolences from the Japanese Imperial House and there is conjecture that a representative may attend the funeral... I doublt it would be the Emperor or Prince Akishino, but perhaps the Crown Prince. It will be interesting to see which foreign royalties turn out to honour the king. I hope his passing is officially recognised by other countries as would any other reign monarch of an independent country.

dignitaries

source-http://palaceoffice.gov.to

according to the Lord Chamberlain's office, the crown prince of Japan will attend, the duke and duchess of gloucester will represent HM the Queen, the governor of american samoa, the vice president of fiji, and the prime minister of new zealand will also be attending.

He was a good King. Hope his son shall be so good than he was. :sad:

Vanesa.

The country residence of the new King George Tupou V on the outskirts of Nuku'alofa, Tonga

I think this is more grand compare to the Royal Palace

Source-http://www.nzpaimages.co.nz

Additional guestlist at the King's funeral
Source-www.tonga-now.to

Australian Governor General Hon Michael Jeffery
New Zealand Governor General Hon Anand Satyanand
Fiji Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase
From Samoa the Hon Tu’imalele Fanosualauvi’i II
Tahiti President Oscar Temaru
Maori King

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester has arrived in Tonga for the King’s funeral

Source--palaceoffice.gov.to

Does anyone has pic of the new king? Is he the one who attend King of Thailand's celebration in June?

Here are two photos of the king (photos taken when he’s still a crown prince)
Full name: King Siaosi Tāufa[FONT=&quot]ʻ[/FONT]āhau Manumataongo Tuku[FONT=&quot]ʻ[/FONT]aho Tupou V
Source: wikipedia
  • planet-tonga
  • dailynexus.com

Last edited:
2 from getty, 1 from nzpaimages.co.nz

Last edited by a moderator:
King's Funeral

From Planet-Tonga

Photo 4 Princess Pilolevu
Photo 5 the Queen

Japanese crown prince attends state funeral of Tonga's king
.....The crown prince, dressed in a morning coat, attended a Christian church service at a palace in the South Pacific kingdom's capital Nuku'alofa with other international dignitaries.
He bowed to the king's coffin and later joined an estimated several thousand people to witness the king's body being interred in the royal tombs. The wreaths laid there included ones prepared by Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, the crown prince's parents......
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060919/kyodo/d8k7l4fo0.html

#1: Polfoto-Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito, left, delivers a wreath to the Tongan royal undertaker for the tomb of the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV at the state funeral in Nuku'alofa, Tonga Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2006.
#2-3: Profimedia
#2: Tonga's new King, King George Tupou V (R), shakes hands with the Japan's Prince Naruhito Crown Prince (L) as Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho watches after the funeral of the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, in Nuku'alofa, Tonga September 19, 2006.
#3: Crown Prince of Japan, Prince Naruhito (L), talks with Tonga's Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho at the funeral of her husband, the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, in Nuku'alofa September 19, 2006.

Last edited:
...more from profimedia.cz

Duke and Duchess of Goucester photo 1-3
Australian Governor General Michael Jeffery photo 4
New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark photo 5
King George Tupou V photo 6-7

Really interesting photos, IMO. The wreath that the Gloucesters presented is so beautifully made -wow! And Mandyy, in all the hundreds of photos you have posted of Naruhito -- I do think these are the first where he looks very serious (appropriately, obviously). He always has that little smile on his face and I had thought it was his way of being -- guess I'm wrong!

Weinyer, Thank you for your pic, this ceromony is very unique, the first time I see royal funeral from Pacific Islands.

Princess Latufuipeka (R), wearing a funeral mat made of pandanus, receives a member of the Tongan Ulukalala clan (L), from the Vava'u islands, who along with others was presenting a specially prepared lunch for the royal household, after arriving at the new Tongan king's residence in Nuku'alofa Tonga, 20 September 2006. The members of the Ulukalala clan were met by Princess Latufuipeka, the niece of the new Tongan king George Tupou V, the day after the state funeral of his father King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV.

from profimedia

I liked your photos and isnights very much. I've never seen a so detailed photo-account of a Pacific Islands Funeral. And much less one of a King.

Thank you very much for your priceless contribution.

Vanesa.

Whenever I hear about Tonga, I remember that song that was written in the 1950s about Queen Salote which went;

"The Queen of Tonga,
Crossed the Ocean from Far Away,
The Queen of Tonga,
Came to Britain for Coronation Day"

And it goes on to say, "And when the people saw her, on that torrential morn, the people cheered and shouted, she took them all by storm" - and it really is a lovely song that sums up Queen Salote's cheerful demeanor.

An article on the Kingdom of Tonga and the other Kingdoms that dispute Tonga's claim as the only Kingdom in the South Pacific:

Three Swords: Kings of the South Pacific & Others
Friday 29 September 2006
By 'The Court Jester' (the writer's pen name) from Unnoficial Royal News site

Back
Top Bottom