King Jigme, Queen Jetsun Pema and the Royal Family of Bhutan 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM Queen Ashi Sangay Choden Wangchuk visited Augsburg,Germany:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy Royalimages/Karl-Josef Hildebrand.

HRH Ashi Sonam Dechan Wangchuck marry to Dasho Phub Dorji

April 5: Her Royal Highness Princess Ashi Sonam Dechan Wangchuck was married to Dasho Phub Dorji at the Mothithang palace today.

The Tendrel ceremony of the Royal wedding today was performed by His Holiness Gyalse Trulku. His Majesty the King, His Majesty the fourth Druk Gyalpo, Her Majesty the Royal Grand Mother, Their Majesties the Queen Mothers and members of the royal family attended the ceremony.

Her Royal Highness Ashi Sonam Dechan Wangchuck graduated from Harvard Law School with an LLM in 2007 and started work at the High Court of Bhutan. Her Royal Highness has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Stanford University in the US. Her Royal Highness interned with a highly reputed legal firm in San Francisco and returned to Bhutan to complete the Post Graduate Diploma in National Law.

Dasho Phub Dorji has a Masters degree in Public Policy from Georgetown University in Washington D.C. and Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Economics from George Washington University. He topped the 2004 civil service examinations and currently works in the Finance Ministry.

After the marriage ceremony, His Majesty the King, His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo, Her Majesty the Royal Grand Mother, Their Majesties the Queen Mothers, other royal family members and well-wishers offered Tashi Khadhar.

http://www.bbs.com.bt/Pics/royalmarriage.gif

H.R.H. Princess (Ashi) Chimi Yangzom Wangchuk. b. 10th January 1980 She has issue, one son:
  • a) Dashob. at Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand, two weeks before 15th September 2006.
bhutan4

AFP: Bhutan's Queen Mother reveals childhood love of Elvis

The Queen Mother in the remote Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan revealed Friday her childhood love of Elvis Presley and the fear she felt at her first ever sighting of a motor car.

Speaking at the Jaipur Literary festival in northern India, where she read extracts from her book "Treasures of the Thunder Dragon: A Portrait of Bhutan", Her Majesty the Queen Mother Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck recalled her early upbringing in a tiny, isolated village in the west of the kingdom.

Hmm read a few blogs (pakistandhousewife, topix, thenews) all saying the people of Bhutan have put a band on their marriages until the King gets married. I am not sure how reliable these sites are... but I didn't even know he was planning on getting married in the first place.

His Majesty the King, His Majesty the fourth Druk Gyalpo (King's father), members of the royal family, acting prime minister Lyonpo Khandu Wangchuk, senior government officials and hundreds of people from Punakha attended the profound and elaborate spiritual ceremony in Wolakha under Goma gewog, Punakha. - Article + photos

HRH the Princess Ashi Kesang Choden Wangchuck and her husband HH Palden Yoeser Thinley were granted an audience by TIM the Emperor and the Empress of Japan on February 16th, 2011.
The Princess is on a brief working visit in Japan, being the Bhutan's representative during the Kyoto ecoforum.

Photo - posted by Mariko in the Imperial family of Japan thread.

Last edited:
Happy 31st :bhutanflag: Birthday to HM the King!

Fourth Dragon King of Bhutan honoured in Japan

The Fourth Druk Gyalpo has been inducted into the Kyoto Earth Hall of Fame for outstanding contribution to the protection of the global environment.

In a ceremony attended by around 600 people, including Their Imperial Highnesses Prince Akishino-no-miya and Princess Kiko-Sama and prominent citizens of Japan, Her Royal Highness Princess Ashi Kezang Choden Wangchuck received the hall of fame award on behalf of the Fourth Druk Gyalpo on February 13.- Full article

Bhutanese state visit to Bangladesh March 24-28, 2011

King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck arrived in Dhaka Thursday on a five-day state visit to Bangladesh.
Warm reception to King Wangchuk - Financial Times

And he looked to be such a modern royal...I wouldn't expect that.

Maybe for this reason he abdicated. (or was rather forced to do that)

The 31-year-old King, an Oxford-educated bachelor crowned in the remote Himalayan country in 2008, presided over the summer session of the parliament where he made the announcement.

"I have thought over it for a long time and decided to marry," the King said in his statement, which was broadcast live on the national TV. "People might think that my queen should be highly educated, beautiful and best of the best," he said smiling. Thousands of people remained glued to the TV in the tiny Himalayan kingdom which was transferred from absolute monarchy to democracy in 2008.
"Jetsun Pema is a kind hearted girl who is very supportive and whom I can trust. I don't know what my people will say about her, but I find her complete with all the qualities a woman needs to have.," said the king.

ASIA NEWS NETWORK

The future Queen Jetsun Pema's Photo
King of Bhutan announces engagement | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Fantastic news! Congratulations to the happy couple? their families and to all Bhutanese people!:flowers:
And what about the tradition to marry four sisters?

Oh my God, he married the four sisters? wow!
Yes, he did. Like his father, and his grandfather before him. According to the local beliefs the four Consort Queens are the 'guardian angels' of East, West, North and South of the kingdom. They protect crops and guarantee the prosperity of the country.
I wonder if HM the King dares to break the tradition nowadays.:)

Well he seems to be quite modern / western points of view. Let's see what happen. Thanks for these explanations!

Congrats to HM the King! His future wife is really beautiful!

Last edited:
wow they are such a grogeous couple. now all asian girls are disappointed eheheh.
i wonder if it will be a HUGE celebration, i dont know how it works the weddings in Bhutan. ill be so happy if we could see some european royal families attending!

One more portrait of the future Queen of Bhutan. - Reuters via daylife
...now all asian girls are disappointed eheheh.
The Thai girls are crying already. HM the King is "Prince Charming" in Thailand, because of his Elvis Presley's look-a-like:)
i wonder if it will be a HUGE celebration, i dont know how it works the weddings in Bhutan. ill be so happy if we could see some european royal families attending!
The King himself asked for "a simple and traditional ceremony". The kingdom is not rich country actually. The Bhutanese RF is on friendly terms with the Netherlands' royals. We shall wait and see, kathia_sophia:flowers:

Last edited:
Last edited:
She is a person of royal descent. She shares the same great-great-grandfather with her husband-to-be.
Her maternal grandfather was one of the most high respected priests in Bhutan.
Her full name is 'Ashi Jetsun Pema' with 'Ashi' means 'Princess' just like 'Lalla' in Morocco.
Yes, she is Bhutanese because the Constitution forbids the King to marry foreigners.

she is very pretty.
Jetsun Pema

http://www.bhutanobserver.bt/royal-wedding-full-story/

Jetsun Pema, the future Queen of Bhutan, was born in Thimphu on June 4, 1990. She received her education from Regents College in London, the UK; the Lawrence School, Sanawar, in Himachal Pradesh and St. Joseph’s Convent in Kalimpong, India; and Changangkha Lower Secondary School and Lungtenzampa Middle Secondary School in Thimphu, Bhutan.

Jetsun Pema’s father, Dhondup Gyaltshen, is the grandson of Trashigang Dzongpon Dopola. Her mother, Sonam Chuki, comes from the family of Bumthang Pangtey. Jetsun Pema has two brothers and two sisters. She is the second eldest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom