Titles, Styles and Ranks of the Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kotroman

Nobility
City
-
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I know that the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg are entitled to use the style Royal Highness. However, I am not sure about what is the correct style for their children.

Descendants of Grand Duke Jean would also be entitled to use the style Royal Highness as princes of Bourbon-Parma, but if I recall correctly, Grand Duke Jean renounced the title of prince of Bourbon-Parma for himself and his family. So, if The Grand Duke's children are no longer considered princes of Bourbon-Parma, what is their correct style? Is it perhaps Grand Ducal Highness - the style once used by princes of the Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine - or something else?

That's a good question...I don't know the answer, but all recognizes them as Royal Highnesses...Also the last Grand Dukes of Toscana of Medici Family were recognized as Royal Highnesses, and that was their official status, so I think the Luxemburgian Princes can be called Royal Highnesses.

I believe the Wikipedia pages on them has the information you need. How accurate it is, I can't say. I believe all of the Grand Duke's children are still styled as HRH. I'm not sure of the reason for this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I do know that it's been discussed before on this board that HGD Guillaume also carries the title of Prince of Bourbon-Parma, despite GD Jean renouncing that title in the past. It was granted to Guillaume by his father GD Henri. I don't think any of Guillaume's siblings have that title though, just him alone. The GD's children are also Princes of Nassau.

Very odd that he has a title that his grand father renounced. Though perhaps over time the relations between him and the Duke of Parma might have improved, the Duke seems less rigid in his views as he was before his own children grew up.

About the HRH: I believe it now comes with the 'Prince of Luxembourg' title, the former Grand DUke sort of promoted his family. I am not sure about the legal basis of it but I suppose he can change such things by decree (that is how the Dutch Queen & Belgian King do it anyway).

Wikipedia pages classifies all living princes of Luxembourg as princes of Bourbon-Parma, whether it's correct or not, and therefore Wikipedia's articles accord them the style Royal Highness.

Marengo, is there an actual decree that "promoted" princes of Luxembourg to Royal Highnesses? Can the Grand Duke actually change the family's titles and styles? If they renounced the title that gave them the style of Royal Highness, why didn't they revert to their original style? It's absolutely unfair that a non-royal prince of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg ranks higher than a royal prince of the Kingdom of Denmark (Prince Felix for example, who is merely Highness). What was their original style anyway?

On July 28, 1986 HRH Grand Duke Jean renounced for himself and his descendants the title Prince/ss of Bourbon-Parma and took the surname Nassau for himself and his decendants. His siblings appear to still carry Bourbon-Parma titles and in the male line would be eligable to pass them on via legitimate decent.

The ruling Grand Duke/Duchess was always styled Royal Highness. Until the marriage of Grand Duchess Charlotte to HRH Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma other members of the family were styled Grand Ducal Highness. Her children inherited the style of Royal Highness from their father with the Bourbon-Parma titles in addition to their Luxembourg titles. When Grand Duke Jean renounced the title he pointedly kept the Royal Highness and by clarifying the styles and titles of members of the Grand Ducal Family in 4 seperat decrees (some by Henri after ascention) since his renounciation it has been reaffirmed and recreated that they are still Royal Highness without regard for the Bourbon-Parma titles.

In 1995 a decree was issued stating that a Prince/ss who would marry without consent would bear the title Count/ess of Nassau and this would pass unto the children of the Prince. Why Tessy de Nassau and her sons are not styled as Count/ess of Nassau given this decree is beyond me. I assume Louis renounced without considering to ask for consent thus making the decree not apply because he didn't marry without consent because it was not necessary after he gave up his rights.

The children of Grand Duke Henri are ALL styled as royal highness prince/ss of Luxembourg (including Louis). Guillaume is styled royal highness with the titles The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma. He is the only one of the children of Henri to bear the Bourbon-Parma title. Henri himself does not even carry the title. He did not recreate it for himself after his father gave it up. The Bourbon-Parma title was given to Guillaume on December 18, 2000 at the same time he was named Hereditary Grand Duke. His decendants will continue the Bourbon-Parma titles.

Only the children of a Grand Duke or a Hereditary Grand Duke will carry the title Prince/ss of Luxembourg. All other members of the family will be HRH Prince/ss of Nassau since 1995. In 2004 Henri allowed the wife and children (even the one born out of wedlock) of his brother Prince Jean to carry the style of Royal Highness with the title Prince/ss of Nassau. I think we can expect similar steps to eventually be taken for Tessy de Nassau and her children with Prince Louis.

Question about Maria Teresa

Is Grand Duchess Maria Teresa the only Grand Duchess in the world. If there are more Grand duchess's , please tell me and show a picture of them. Thanks. :flowers:

Archduchess Elyssa of Austria-Tuscany is the titolar Grand Duchess of Toscana, and Archduchess Dorothea is the titular Dowager Grand Duchess of Tuscany, but these titles are not reognized; so Maria Teresa is the only Grand Duchess in the world officially recognized.

The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is the only de facto Grand Duchess.

The Russian title of Великая Княжна (velika kneginja in my language) is traditionally translated as Grand Duchess, though the correct translation would be Grand Princess. Two women use the courtesy title of Grand Duchess of Russia - Maria Vladimirovna, the pretender to the Russian throne (known as HIH The Grand Duchess of Russia) and her mother Leonida (known as HIH The Dowager Grand Duchess of Russia).

There has been a Grand Duchy in Baden, Sounthern Germany, around 1900. I am in the lucky posession of the Grand Duchy coocery book of that time, of course, only a reproduction, but with delicious recipes....:chef:.
The author's name is Emma Wundt.

There has been a Grand Duchy in Baden, Sounthern Germany, around 1900. I am in the lucky posession of the Grand Duchy coocery book of that time, of course, only a reproduction, but with delicious recipes....:chef:.
Yes, so also Margravine Valerie of Baden is the titular Grand Duchess of Baden.

And luxemburgo is not a kingdom, because it is a small country, and a kingdom is for a big country? as in monaco that is a principality, was not a kingdom, because it was very small to be a kingdom, this way it happens in luxemburgo?
Theoretically is maria teresa like a queen in luxemburgo truth?

And luxemburgo is not a kingdom, because it is a small country, and a kingdom is for a big country? as in monaco that is a principality, was not a kingdom, because it was very small to be a kingdom, this way it happens in luxemburgo?

In Vatican, GD Maria Teresa is considered a queen, because she can wear white in presence of the pope.

http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/Galerie/...es_du_Saint-Pere/audiencesaintpere_img_01.jpg

Thank you, and I saw in the funeral of the pope jean 2 and maria teresa was of white as the other queens that were present

Thanks Girls. Do you girls think that Grand Duchess is a cool title.I never liked it becase I always thought It was a rank as a Duchess(which it's not of course) But just with the Grand at the begining.What's your opinion.

:swedenstandard:

Perhaps it doesn't sound "cool", but it is a high ranking title (just below king). Though I'm not sure which title ranks higher: Grand Duke or Archduke. Both titles are some kind of a super-duke :ermm:

P.S. Some of the users of this forum are male (MAfan and I, for example).

A Grand Duke ranks higher that an Archduke. The basic (top-end) structure is: Emperor - King - Grand Duke - Archduke - Prince

Not only in Baden. Until 1918 there where six Grand Duchies in the German Empire.
the Grand Duchy of Baden
the Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine
the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Streltiz
the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg
the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Catholic noble women can wear white in presence of the pope ? Are you sure of this ? According to Wikipedia, "as of February 2009, those to whom the privilège du blanc extends are Queen Sofia of Spain, Queen Paola of Belgium, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg".
I believe they are the only legally-recognized royals who can take part. However, as the wiki article states, the dress code is optional now, so even I can technically wear white to see the Pope. I'd be ridiculed in the press (like Cherie Blair was, although it turns she just didn't have time to change for the spontaneous meeting), but it wouldn't be against the law. Many women still choose to wear black or exercise the privelege out of historical tradition. I know that all princesses of the House of Savoy were alotted the privilege du blanc as I posted in the "Royals visiting the Pope" thread
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=474739&postcount=125
I have read that certain noble princely Italian families (who had reigned in the former papal states) also have the privelege but I have found no evidence yet, so I can't be sure. Also, I've also read that Archduchesses from the House of Hapsburg have that privilege, so I'm wondering if Princess of Astrid of Belgium has ever worn white to see the Pope if this were true as she would accorded this right through her marriage to Archduke Lorenz, if she chose to follow tradition.

I don't think Luxembourg is a Grand Duchy simply because it is so small. It is a Grand Duchy, because that is how it has grown historically.

As to wearing white in the presence of the Pope: MT is the wife of a Catholic reigning monarch, that's enough of a reason. Being the wife of a reigning monarch, she is more or less equal in rank to those who hold the title Queen Consort. I can't imagine she would have to courtesy Queen Paola of Belgium, or Queen Sofia of Spain.

Last edited:
Being the wife of a reigning monarch, she is more or less equal in rank to those who hold the title Queen Consort. I can't imagine she would have to courtesy Queen Paola of Belgium, or Queen Sofia of Spain.

Nobody (neither me nor you) has to courtesy The Queen of the Belgians or The Queen of Spain. People choose to do so, and if The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg wants to respect tradition, she would courtesy Majesties and Imperial Majesties (and perhaps Imperial Highnesses). I don't think she'll ever do it, though, because all heads of state are considerd equal nowadays.

I always thought it would be quite respectless of me if I didn't courtesy a royal upon meeting them. (never had the opportunity, so far, but you know, in the event of...)

I guess I'm the new generation who does consider the Grand Duchess equal to the Queens abovementioned. :flowers: Only in matters of Heads of State amongs each other though. In the unlikely event I'd ever host a dinner party for the various royals from around the globe, I'd follow the usual ranking :D

It's not the title which makes me consider The Grand Duchess lower ranking than a queen, but her style. She is a Royal Highness, just like a daughter of a king, so it seems natural to me that a Majesty outranks her :ermm: But you are right when you say that she wouldn't bow to anyone, because it could be viewed as Luxembourg being subordinate to Spain.

I always thought it would be quite respectless of me if I didn't courtesy a royal upon meeting them. (never had the opportunity, so far, but you know, in the event of...)

I know, I would courtesy too. I meant to say that The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg can choose not to courtesy anyone, just like we can ;)

It's not the title which makes me consider The Grand Duchess lower ranking than a queen, but her style. She is a Royal Highness, just like a daughter of a king, so it seems natural to me that a Majesty outranks her :ermm: But you are right when you say that she wouldn't bow to anyone, because it could be viewed as Luxembourg being subordinate to Spain.

You explain me better than I can explain myself :lol:

That's exactly what I meant :flowers:

Last edited:
The title of "Grand Duchess" has always seemed strange to me as I had always associated it with tsarist Russia - as His/Her Imperial Highness Grand Duke/Duchess ...
But, Luxembourg does seem to be its own little Kingdom or Grand Duchy with the Grand Duke wielding great power. At least the royals there can style themselves as "royal highnesses" and not as "serene highnesses" as in Monaco.

I find nothing strange in the title of Grand Duke of Luxembourg. As I said above, the title born by the daughters and daughters-in-law of the Emperors of Russia would be correctly translated as "Grand Princess" (Великая Княжна). Княжна is translated as "Princess", so it seems logical that Великая Княжна would be translated as Grand Princess. However, I guess that British royals didn't want to imply that the Russian princesses rank higher than the British princesses and thus decided to style them as Grand Duchesses rather than as Grand Princesses.

The Princesses of Liechenstein and Monaco are not allowed tu wear "blanc" if they visite the Pope because they are Serene HH

The title of "Grand Duchess" has always seemed strange to me as I had always associated it with tsarist Russia - as His/Her Imperial Highness Grand Duke/Duchess ...
But, Luxembourg does seem to be its own little Kingdom or Grand Duchy with the Grand Duke wielding great power. At least the royals there can style themselves as "royal highnesses" and not as "serene highnesses" as in Monaco.

I believe they are all styled "Royal Highness" since the marriage of Grand Duchess Charlotte to Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma. Before that, they were "Grand Ducal Hignesses", and only the Grand Duke and the heir apparent were styled "Royal Highness".

Back
Top Bottom