The Waringo Investigation into the Functioning of the Luxembourg Court 2019/2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But that was what had already happened, that the G Duchess had mainly given up her role, and her staff were handled by someone else, and she lived in France mostly.
Not exactly. This year alone she attended events in Luxembourg and abroad representing Luxembourg. She's showed no signs of slowing down or stopping.

I'm appalled that someone of her rank can behave in such a manner.

Grand Duchess would not be. She could replace her mother in some representational functions. Even married can do it, but I doubt it will happen.
Yes the current Italian PM and his daughter comes to mind. If needed a be the Grand Ducal family could do something similar.

The Grand Duchess doesn't seem to realize that she is tarnishing her husband's reign and legacy.

Not exactly. This year alone she attended events in Luxembourg and abroad representing Luxembourg. She's showed no signs of slowing down or stopping.

I'm appalled that someone of her rank can behave in such a manner.

She apparently has a difficult temper. But she might as well think of her children and behave otherwise, otherwise Grand Duke Henri will have to abdicate sooner than planned. They've already had to change things in the Grand Ducal House in recent years because of this. Unfortunately Guillaume and Stéphanie will have a more complicated job because of these situations. :ermm:

She apparently has a difficult temper. But she might as well think of her children and behave otherwise, otherwise Grand Duke Henri will have to abdicate sooner than planned. They've already had to change things in the Grand Ducal House in recent years because of this. Unfortunately Guillaume and Stéphanie will have a more complicated job because of these situations. :ermm:

Come on. There is nothing complicated in this. When Prince Jean and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte started their (perfect) era as the grand-ducal couple, they had five children in the ages of 10, 9, 7 and 1 years old.

Grand-Duke Jean still had some real executive prerogatives. Grand-Duke Henri lost all this and has a purely ceremonial role. Even Acts and Decrees are no longer assented by him, he is only there for the promulgation in his name ("making known that") of said Acts and Decrees. That is all. In calm and sleepy Luxembourg.

Some new details about new problems:

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/2031514.html

Some quotes:

According to the paper, the situation "got out of hand" during the weekend of 29 and 30 October, when the Grand Duchess wanted to try on clothes before a photo shoot for the wedding of her daughter, Princess Alexandra, in April 2023. Additional staff had to be called in as the maids and wardrobe staff reported being overwhelmed.

On the following Monday, Maria Teresa summoned the Court Marshal and her personal assistants to lecture them about "poor organisation." The Land reports that the concerned staff members were not defended against these accusations.

Two weeks later, Prime Minister Xavier Bettel went to the Palace to discuss the situation with the Grand Ducal couple, which also led to disagreements within the management committee of the Maison du Grand-Duc. After his end-of-year leave, the director of the Court Marshal's office is said to have returned only once for a meeting on 19 January.

It seems that the Grand Duchess is uncapable of behaving well. Perhaps it would be best for all if she would officially retire. They can not have another scandal every couple of months.

Last edited:
It seems that the Grand Duchess is unable to change her stance. She should change her behavior and also think about her family. This situation cannot continue.

Oh brother.....she really should just retire from appearing in Luxembourg and stay in her lovely Apartment in Paris or Biarritz before she ruins the future for Guillaume and Stephanie.

I'm sorry the Prime Minister of Luxembourg is really having to take time to deal with looking after staff in the Grand Ducal Household because the Grand Duchess can't treat them civilly? Time for abdication, now.

I felt sorry for the PM as well for spending that much time on handling MT's misbehaviour.

Some new details about new problems:

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/2031514.html

Some quotes:

It seems that the Grand Duchess is uncapable of behaving well. Perhaps it would be best for all if she would officially retire. They can not have another scandal every couple of months.

Wait...gimme a second here. MT threw a fit because of what she complained was "poor organization" around some wardrobe changes SHE wanted to make during bride to be Alexandra's photo shoot...because there were not enough maids on hand to tend to the bride AND her mother??

Who's the bride here again??

Seriously, has she gone mad? I can't believe how I used to admire her. If this is not proof that all that glitters isn't gold I don't know what else to say

Other than Stephane Bern of PdV, does Maria Teresa even have friends and admirers in Europe any more?:sad:

Last edited:
I fear this means Henri will have to abdicate - or announce plans to. The situation is unsustainable especially if the PM is having to intervene, I mean that is ridiculous really. I wonder if they will announce he will abdicate in his 25year as Grand Duke (2025).

It seems the original report from Lëtzebuerger Land is not yet online. I wonder what the prime minister's alleged "ultimatum" involves.

Would any posters who follow Luxembourgian politics be willing to share their opinion on the prime minister's side of the affair? Is there a political advantage to becoming involved in the grand-ducal house's issues, or is it something he is obligated to do?

Last edited:
See the thread on the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess for links and discussions of interviews in 2020 and 2021 in which they responded to the Waringo report:

The Paris Match Belgian edition has a long interview with Grand Duchess Maria Teresa where she discusses her interests, struggles, recent criticisms (Waringo report) , and joy of new grandson Prince Charles. A series of photos were published including a photo with Princes Noah, Gabriel, Liam, and Princess Amalia.

Interview de Maria Teresa de Luxembourg à “Paris Match” – Noblesse & Royautés

Excerpts: Maria Teresa de Luxembourg : "La naissance de Charles, c'est la vie qui reprend le dessus" - Paris Match

A translation of the Waringo report-related questions and answers from the Grand Duchess's interview with Paris Match in June 2020:

Thinking over the reasons for this outrage you have encountered, your husband in his letter to the Luxembourgers touched on your principled fights, notably against sexual violence, dyslexia, the maltreatment of imprisoned children, which you exposed out of necessity ...

My engagements as Grand Duchess made me sensitive to the problems of women. I want to continue down that road. From the most serious situations, which are violence in all its forms, to those which are more insidious and perhaps more common: the misogyny which I faced recently.

The Grand Duke also recalled your mutual desire to modernize the monarchy ...

We have been trying since the beginning of the reign to progress things but, as in many old institutions, we've been met with strong resistance from within. My husband has wanted for a long time to put in place some of the reforms proposed in the report. But, too often, people in a position of of responsibility in our own household resisted his requests.

This report said harshly that as Grand Duchess, you have no constitutional role. Do you feel hurt by the erasure that is implied in that?

I don't feel hurt by it, because I never claimed any constitutional role. I took on a difficult task which required me to give priority to my official life over my private and family life and that deserves to be recognized. It is all contradictory: on the one hand, they expect me to be there at my husband's side, representing, on the other hand, they insidiously remind me that I represent nothing. In psychology, it is called paradoxical injunctions. They reproach me for having too much influence on my husband? We're a couple, we discuss, talk, share our thoughts. Nothing is more normal, I feel. Isn't any wife expected to support her husband, a fortiori if they are royals or statesmen? I recall some beautiful words of King Albert II of the Belgians paying tribute to his wife, Queen Paola. He said in substance that he could not have lived his life as a monarch without her constant support. In spite of the privileges, to have two of you to face these "abnormal" lives seems important to me. It is no pleasure to bring up these matter but I believe if I do it, it is only with concern for preparing a better path for future generations. Who knows, perhaps one day, Prince Charles's wife will thank me.

The original answers:

S’interrogeant sur les raisons de ce déchaînement à votre encontre, votre époux évoquait dans sa lettre aux Luxembourgeois vos combats légitimes, notamment contre les violences sexuelles, la dyslexie, la maltraitance des enfants emprisonnés, qui nécessairment vous exposent…

Mes engagements en tant que Grande-Duchesse m’ont sensibilisée aux problématiques des femmes. Je veux continuer dans cette voie. Des situations les plus graves que sont les violences sous toutes leurs formes à ce qu’il y a de plus insidieux, et peut-être de plus répandu : la misogynie à laquelle j’ai été confrontée récemment.

Le Grand-Duc a évoqué aussi votre volonté commune de moderniser la monarchie…

Nous essayons depuis le début du règne de faire avancer les choses mais, comme dans beaucoup d’anciennes institutions, nous nous sommes heurtés à une très grande résistance interne. Mon mari voulait depuis longtemps mettre en place certaines des réformes préconisées dans ce rapport. Mais, trop souvent, des personnes en situation de responsabilité à l’intérieur de notre propre maison ont résisté à ses demandes.

Ce rapport rappelait de manière cinglante qu’en tant que Grande-Duchesse, vous n’avez pas de rôle constitutionnel. Vivez-vous comme une souffrance l’effacement que cela sous-entend ?

Je ne le vis pas comme une souffrance, car je n’ai jamais prétendu au moindre rôle constitutionnel. J’assume une tâche difficile qui m’oblige à donner la priorité à ma vie officielle sur ma vie privée et familiale et cela mérite d’être reconnu. Tout est contradictoire : d’un côté, on attend de moi d’être là, aux côtés de mon époux, en représentation, et de l’autre, on me rappelle insidieusement que je ne représente rien. En psychologie, cela s’appelle des injonctions paradoxales. On me reproche d’avoir trop d’influence sur mon mari ? Nous sommes un couple, nous échangeons, dialoguons, partageons nos préoccupations. Rien de plus normal, il me semble. N’attend-on pas de toute épouse qu’elle épaule son mari, a fortiori s’ils sont royaux ou hommes d’Etat ? Je me souviens des très jolis mots du roi Albert II des Belges rendant hommage à son épouse, la reine Paola. Il disait en substance qu’il n’aurait pas pu vivre sa vie de souverain sans son soutien constant. Malgré les privilèges, être deux pour faire face à ces vies « hors norme » me paraît important. Ce n’est pas un plaisir d’évoquer ces choses et, croyez-moi, si je le fais, c’est uniquement avec le souci de préparer une voie meilleure aux générations futures. Qui sait, un jour peut-être, l’épouse du prince Charles m’en remerciera.

What is ridiculous, is not that the Grand-Duchess was dissatisfied with the level of professionalism and/or organization. She has every right to be as the Household is working in the service of the grand-ducal couple.

What is ridiculous that this little hiccup became public, that the Prime Minister should interfere, that the Grand-Duke should abdicate or that the Grand-Duchess should be held accountable for all and everyone regarding the (mal) functioning of her garderobe!

Last edited:
:previous: Based on the RTL-reporting it is pretty hard to understand what exactly happened.

Scenario 1: Was it well planned but was Maria Teresa completely irrational at that time making sudden ridiculous requests resulting in the staff being overwhelmed and asking for additional staff to make sure all her requests could be met (that sounds like a reasonable solution and not something to summon the Court Marshal for); or:

Scenario 2: Was the staff unprepared or understaffed due to poor planning while they knew well in advance what was needed at that time but decided to prioritize other tasks and in doing so letting the GD down. In that case, there would be a reason to summon the Court Marshal and her assistants to ask for an explanation.

In both scenarios, it matters HOW she asked for an explanation; the fact that it went up to the PM, seems to suggest that the way she went about it, was most likely not a very professional one. A 'verbal altercation' that was unacceptable according to a government minister suggests that this 'lecturing' was the part that resulted in two members of staff being moved to a different post (as the Court Marshal and personal assistants were summoned; I assume the ones being removed from the court staff were two of her personal assistants, who must have had some experience working for her) and making it public knowledge - not the fact that the way a dressing activity was organized wasn't to her liking (I am sure, other staff also makes mistakes at times as nobody is perfect - but normally that doesn't lead to request to be allowed to leave their position as they no longer want to work with their principal).

And what exactly was the role of the director of the Court Marshal's office in all of this as he has hardly been seen after his end-of-year leave (so, the director isn't one of the two that were already placed elsewhere). That sounds rather drastic, so again, an indication that something is off.

Last edited:
I am a team manager myself and yes, so now and then I have expressed criticism and dissatisfaction with the level of professionalism, with the quality and the quantity of services and with the performance of some fellow colleagues.

And that is in an office. Here it is also in a family, as the persons served by the Maison du Grand-Duc are not only working for the head of state, but also for Henri and María Teresa de Nassau as private persons.

I feel someone must be able to dissatisfied. When the floral arrangements for an evenement were poor, when the transportation and logistics were under par, when there is a chronic delay in administrative handling, I feel the Grand-Duke or Grand-Duchess must be able to voice their displeasure indeed without media and punlic turning it into a sort of scandal.

Last edited:
I am a team manager myself and yes, so now and then I have expressed criticism and dissatisfaction with the level of professionalism, with the quality and the quantity of services and with the performance of some fellow colleagues.

And that is in an office. Here it is also in a family, as the persons served by the Maison du Grand-Duc are not only working for the head of state, but also for Henri and María Teresa de Nassau as private persons.

I feel someone must be able to dissatisfied. When the floral arrangements for an evenement were poor, when the transportation and logistics were under par, when there is a chronic delay in administrative handling, I feel the Grand-Duke or Grand-Duchess must be able to voice their displeasure indeed without media and punlic turning it into a sort of scandal.

Same here. I also manage a team and at times do have to express (hopefully constructive) criticism. However, where is it indicated that it is unacceptable for the GD and GDss to express such criticism? However, it does matter how you treat people when doing so (and nobody of us is perfect, so perfection in this area is not expected but some boundaries need to be taken into account as well as responsibility taken (in the first place by that person themselves by apologizing if things got too heated in the moment) if someone 'higher up' behaves badly towards those working for them).

Do you really think the staff never ever hears a word of criticism throughout the year and therefore take such drastic measures such as asking to be moved to a different department (in which they surely are also expected to meet high expectations - and will receive feedback on their performance) the moment they are criticized for something minor? That seems a rather unlikely scenario. It seems far more likely that the way MT went about providing that 'criticism' was that much out of line that, unfortunately, they felt the need to leave and involve those higher up the change (and unfortunately, we've learned from another royal house, it is quite hard to go against 'the principals' in a royal household, so they are in a rather vulnerable position).

I fear this means Henri will have to abdicate - or announce plans to. The situation is unsustainable especially if the PM is having to intervene, I mean that is ridiculous really. I wonder if they will announce he will abdicate in his 25year as Grand Duke (2025).

That will not help,at all.It´s MT´s fits,regardless if Henri stays on or abdicates...I think Cuba would be perfect for that misfit of fits.Really,she is an embarrasment to the Court,the Family and the Country.

She doesn´t behave towards her staff,thinks she is above them and can treat them as her slaves,scolding them around.I would leave a good red mark on her cheeks,both sets,.. if she would dare do that to me.One should never hit,let alone a woman...but this...well...what..?This is 2023 AD,not BC...and Josephine Charlotte was right ...all the time...as JC hated her guts...and darn how right she was!!

Ban that hysterical woman from Court!!I believe she already stays in Paris more often then not,make that permanent.But Henri is to lenient to do so...thus keeping this situation alive as they say...a tad weak...

In former days one could send a creature like her to a convent,and lock her up!
As long as that doesn´t happen,she will create havoc more often then not.And
please don´t blame it on her meno pauze...It is within her character to behave as she does,
I hope none of her children have a wink of that sort of agressive character

I am very sorry for her children and the effect she has,and had,on them.

Imagine the staff coming to work everyday,stressed because not knowing if she gets a fit again...
I wish one would tell her right in the face,to such extent it would be HER needing a therapist for
a year or two...Sad I am retired...

Last edited:
I don't think for a minute the Prime Minister would get involved because the Grand Duchess expressed constructive criticism at staff. That makes no sense.

Unfortunately La Grand Duchess has proven herself to be very harsh on staff and to create a culture of fear. That is awful and no-one should have to work in that culture. What may have happened here is a small thing has grown into a bigger issue because her reputation precedes her, when someone has reputation for being difficult things can get out of hand quickly. There is no suggestion she wasn't able to express criticism, it seems it was the way that was done which - the suggestion of the PM getting involved for instance - seems to have escalated higher and even that not been done in the proper way under the new staff structure.

Its interesting reading those quotes from the Grand Duchess

My husband has wanted for a long time to put in place some of the reforms proposed in the report. But, too often, people in a position of of responsibility in our own household resisted his requests.

Hmmm ... we know for a fact the Household has undergone huge turnover of staff, including those in senior positions, in recent years so it seems she is suggesting that successive people in "positions of responsibility" have resisted whatever changes her husband has requested...does that not sound like it might be more to do with the ideas being bad rather than multiple staff for some random reason all just resisting them?

The constitutional monarchy seems fairly well supported in Luxembourg. There doesn't appear to be a strong republican movement/sentiment.

The Heir (Guillaume) is dedicated, personable and without controversy. There has never been even a whiff of scandal associated with Guillaume and his wife.

My concern is that this steady drip drip leak of unseemly and petty reports from Colmar is going to eventually erode overall confidence in the monarchy if it hasn't already.

One of Henri's most important duties is to strengthen the institution in order to help ensure the future for his heirs(in this case Guillaume and little Charles).

I don't see him doing that at all and his apparently passive presence is just confusing at this point. What gives?:sad:

I wish we had members here who posted regularly from the Grand Duchy, so we could have ears-to-the-ground opinions.

Last edited:
The constitutional monarchy seems fairly well supported in Luxembourg. There doesn't appear to be a strong republican movement/sentiment.

The Heir (Guillaume) is dedicated, personable and without controversy. There has never been even a whiff of scandal associated with Guillaume and his wife.

My concern is that this steady drip drip leak of unseemly and petty reports from Colmar is going to eventually erode overall confidence in the monarchy if it hasn't already.

One of Henri's most important duties is to strengthen the institution in order to help ensure the future for his heirs(in this case Guillaume and little Charles).

I don't see him doing that at all and his apparently passive presence is just confusing at this point. What gives?:sad:

I wish we had members here who posted regularly from the Grand Duchy, so we could have ears-to-the-ground opinions.

There doesn´t seem many around Moonmaiden,unfortunately.And if,they don´t critisize.

In my view it is a sort of fight: who has the authority in the Maison du Grand-Duc: are it "the men in the grey suits" parachuted by the Government or have the Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess operational and executive authority as well regarding the workings of the Household?

For me the fight of the grand-ducal couple seems to be about the prerogative "The Grand-Duke organizes his own Household". This constitutional prerogative clashes with the iron saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune". And it is the Government who pays.

Usually in constitutional monarchies a sort of balance has been found, between the right of the Sovereign to organize his own Household and the State which gives the Sovereign the finances to do so. In Luxembourg this seems not have been cristallized yet.

Last edited:
In my view it is a sort of fight: who has the authority in the Maison du Grand-Duc: are it "the men in the grey suits" parachuted by the Government or have the Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess operational and executive authority as well regarding the workings of the Household?

For me the fight of the grand-ducal couple seems to be about the prerogative "The Grand-Duke organizes his own Household". This constitutional prerogative clashes with the iron saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune". And it is the Government who pays.

Usually in constitutional monarchies a sort of balance has been found, between the right of the Sovereign to organize his own Household and the State which gives the Sovereign the finances to do so. In Luxembourg this seems not have been cristallized yet.

I don´t think so.We have never ever heard of anything like this before during the Reign of Grand Duc Jean,let alone the Reign of Grandduchess Charlotte,a formidable Lady who would never have accepted your option Duc.

No,it is her and her not yet being diagnosed properly.But all in all it is a sad affair indeed.

I truly don't think Bettel got involved because MT constructively asked why there were (allegedly) not enough servants at a photoshoot. These incidents which crop up every so often cannot be taken out of context with the Waringo Investigation which found wide spread and long term mismanagement and abuse of staff. Of course as others have said once a person has that reputation (which in her case seems earned) then others will jump on it more.

MT made no moves to apologise for that behaviour or say that she was seeking treatment for any factors which might have contributed to it. On the contrary Henri wrote that Open Letter and MT acted the victim.

If there is a medical or personal issue that is contributing to her behaviour then she has the best specialists in the world available.

The PM's involvement may stem from constitutional issues with Henri (Euthanasia Bill) and other wider issues but dismissing everything else as a pile on seems disingenuous.

No idea where this ends except for abdication in the next couple of years or so, even if that doesn't solve the wider constitutional issues.

Maybe not the thread but all these reports do always make me wonder about how MT and Henri's children see this? Do they see it as well as we would or do the think MT is a victim and being picked on and the way she treats staff is normal?

"There was a joke in the Lux newspapers : the Grand Duke sitting reading his newspaper. Behind the door : Caramba etc... and the maid ,tears on her face, entering with his coffee He said to her : "You are lucky , you may leave !"

Maybe not the thread but all these reports do always make me wonder about how MT and Henri's children see this? Do they see it as well as we would or do the think MT is a victim and being picked on and the way she treats staff is normal?

I have often wondered the same thing. It's interesting that all of her children choose to live outside the Grand Duchy, with the exception of Guillaume who doesn't really have a choice.

I am more interested in how her daughters in law get on with her. Maria Teresa seems a stronger and more flamboyant personality than Claire and especially Stephanie.

We all kind of know what Tessy thought about her.:cool:

Well, Gui and Stephanie did move to London for a bit (and seemed to finally get pregnant when they did from what I remember timing wise)

But then how many of GD Henri's siblings used to live in the country. Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume lived in Paris and from also his sisters lived abroad.

So i think it is not to unusual that the children of the Grand Ducal couple live abroad, specially as Luxembourg is a small country.

Back
Top Bottom