The Waringo Investigation into the Functioning of the Luxembourg Court 2019/2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been many rumours about the temperament of the Grand Duchess over the years and also that she is the boss!

We don't really know what is going on, except for the rumors that circulate in the press and social networks.
I hope this does not damage the image of the Luxembourg monarchy, as it has always been a highly respected institution.
I hope that everything will be resolved quickly and fairly for all parties.

Gosh that's nice. I thought that the Lux RF were very popular and the public were very fond of them...

Heu... There was quite a public uproar when the grand-ducal family wanted to sell parts of Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte's heritage. There was quite a public uproar when the Grand-Duke refused to give his assent to a democratically approved Bill. This even led to taking away constitutional prerogatives from the Grand-Duke. The Government and Parliament unanimously (!!!) decided to strip the Grand-Duke's executive power to grant royal assent to Bills, by doing so making these Acts. With this he lost the prerogative which was held and maintained by all (Orange-)Nassau Grand-Dukes. It is not exactly that the Letzebuergers faint when they see the grand-ducal family but they realize having a Grand-Duke publicly raises their country somewhat above other small states.

Last edited:
Would the alleged bad temper and divaesque behavior of the Grand Duchess really warrant Grand Duke Henri to abdicate or is there something more sinister involved?

Yes, if the Grand Duke is unwilling or unable to change what the government requests. He may not see anything wrong. As long as her children are on the throne she will likely continue to have some leader strings on them.

There have been many rumours about the temperament of the Grand Duchess over the years and also that she is the boss!

Didn’t the Grand a Duke have a serious heart episode in recent years? I wonder if she has been more prominently in control since?

Didn’t the Grand a Duke have a serious heart episode in recent years? I wonder if she has been more prominently in control since?

Not a serious heart problem I thought. He was dottered (angioplasty) once. There were rumours with the heart involved: according some rumours the Grand-Duchess apparently thought there was something romantic between Henri and Mme Lydia Polfer, now Mayor of the capital. It was too ridiculous for words but apparently the Grand-Duchess jumped on it. Sone say the runour was spread by Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte via the publicist Stéphane Bern, but that seems most unlikely to me and probably a démarche to paint JC down as the Ice Queen vs Sancta Maria Teresa.

:previous: Grand Duke Henri had an angioplasty in February 2011.

Luxarazzi: Grand Duke back home

I can't recall other health issues. He seems fine and was especially active last year when the HGD couple lived in London and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was primarily focused on her "Stand Speak Rise Up!" initiative and then she was limited by knee surgery.

Grand Duke Henri was everywhere for a while although maybe that was deliberate in retrospect. I doubt Jeannot Waringo's appointment suddenly dropped on the Cour in August. Probably discussions / a cursory review happened before his appointment.

The Grand Duchess, who resides most of the time in Paris, does not hesitate to have all her staff moved to the French capital to hold her meetings, which generates substantial costs and does not necessarily delight her employees...
To sum up, the Grand Duchess manages the house as she sees fit and does absolutely what she wants when she wants...
Cour grand-ducale _ un rapport qui fait trembler le Palais _ Le Quotidien
Translation

None of these stories however true they are cannot be doing the image of the Grand Duchess any good.

I have been reading on Twitter several comments, many of them from Luxarazzi people, on this subject and there is already talk of a possible abdication of Grand Duke Henri, depending on what comes in the investigation report.
I hope that everything will work out well and that the monarchy will not be tarnished because of this.
It seems that the Grand Duchess did what she wanted and gave no explanation to anyone ....

MT would not be the first wife-of-the-boss who makes life difficult for the employees of her husband. For the GD to abdicate the story needs to be much more serious than what we know now. I am quite sure that PM Bettel will not want to waste political credit on a polarizing issue such as forcing an abdication unless there is a great support in public opinion, which there isn't at the moment.

Last edited:
This strikes me as MT doesn’t seem that kind of person. With all the grief she got from her in laws you’d think she wouldn’t be despotic.

Also I don’t think abdication is on the cards. The HGD Couple have only just announced their long awaited pregnancy and are about to start a family so I think they will give them time to settle in before abdicating. Can’t think of a worse time to do it!

I hope abdication is not seriously considered. That would end GD Henri's reign on a down note. Also, let the HGD couple have some years as parents. GD Jean and GD Josephine-Charlotte had ~10 years before becoming the reigning couple; GD Henri and GD MT had almost 20 years.

I'd rather see the Cour and government resolve the problems as amicably as possible. Clear boundaries/expectations, HR policies, work-life balance, etc. If meeting in Paris or elsewhere is necessary, then allow telecommuting/video-conferencing.

The Grand Duchess, who resides most of the time in Paris, does not hesitate to have all her staff moved to the French capital to hold her meetings, which generates substantial costs and does not necessarily delight her employees...
To sum up, the Grand Duchess manages the house as she sees fit and does absolutely what she wants when she wants...
Cour grand-ducale _ un rapport qui fait trembler le Palais _ Le Quotidien
Translation

Was it common knowledge that she resides in Paris most of the time? This is new to me...

Was it common knowledge that she resides in Paris most of the time? This is new to me...
It's long been known that the family owns a home in Paris. I seem to remember that the subject was touched upon during the divorce proceedings of Prince Louis and Tessy Anthony de Nassau. I've also read it mentioned several times both here in the forums and in other places that the Grand Duchess has spent a lot of time in the city. One time in particular I remember it being jokingly said that after some engagements in Luxembourg she was on her way to Paris before the dishes had been cleared at the palace.

Last edited:
Should make for interesting reading,will the Grand Duke to a Louis XIII and exile his Marie de' Medici ;)

:previous:Interesting reading, indeed!

But I don't understand why the result -- even if it paints a terrible picture of the Grand Duchess and her interfering ways -- would result in the Grand Duke being in a position to be forced to abdicate? Surely her influence can be curtailed in some way, and the Grand Duke can continue as usual. After all, it has apparently been an open secret about her difficult personality for quite some time. I was somewhat surprised when I read about this.

I say somewhat surprised because I remember the hatchet job that she did on her mother-in-law after her death and found it quite revealing as to the Grand Duchess' character. She just couldn't take the high road and look to the future. For her, it was pay-back time. Most disappointing.

It affects the Grand-Duke in so far since it is he, whom organizes his House, with respect to public interest (read: the ministerial responsibility). Since not the Grand-Duke but the Government is accountable for Parliament (Article 4 of the Constitution) it is up to the Premier Ministre to answer.

If the Court Organization is such a chaos indeed: what have Premier Ministre M Xavier Bettel or his predecessor M Jean-Claude Juncker done to encourage improvement of the Court Organization, with all respect to the privilege of the Grand-Duke to organize his House?

Last edited:
I doubt abdication would be needed, look at that Dutch scandal with Prince Bernhard. Juliana didn’t abdicate (barely) but Bernhard was punished. I expect something similar to happen here if the report is negative.

I always use to think MT was a lovely lady but as the saying goes, "there is no smoke without fire" - there have been so many stories, disgruntled employees etc that there clearly is something of an issue.

That said,I can't see why it should cause Henri to abdicate. Thy could just do what the Dutch and Danish do, give the spouse their own office allowance and leave the rest of the staff to the sovereign.

I doubt abdication would be needed, look at that Dutch scandal with Prince Bernhard. Juliana didn’t abdicate (barely) but Bernhard was punished. I expect something similar to happen here if the report is negative.

It is quite a BIG difference in just being a difficult lady of the house or in (ab)using royal influence to convince the State to choose for the firm Lockheed to place a big order. (In the end the Dutch bought 213 fighters of the model F16 Fighting Falcon at Lockheed anyway).

There is no any consort in modern history which went so far as the late Prince Bernhard. Any other consort's "faults" are angelic hiccups compared to that.

Last edited:
I’m sure this is just a culture clash about domestic issues. Every court has its run in with the “Americas”! Thank God Queen Silvia had a European grounding.

I’m sure this is just a culture clash about domestic issues. Every court has its run in with the “Americas”! Thank God Queen Silvia had a European grounding.

Huh... Prince Bernhard had a very European grounding in Germany, Switzerland and France... It did not prevent this consort to bring a stable monarchy close to the abyss.

General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

I’m a devotee of Maxima too! Pity that pedigree is stained with a fervour for 1930s German-style abysmal autocracy too.Thank God too for Germany to provide Queen Emma for saving The Dutch monarchy from its abyss. The stadholder is never far from the bottom of the canal.

Last edited:

But Grand Duchess Maria Teresa grow up in Switzerland not on Cuba.So she should also have an eurpean grounding. And then she lives for almost 40 years in Luxembourg.

Back
Top Bottom