The Waringo Investigation into the Functioning of the Luxembourg Court 2019/2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
Luxembourg’s Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has appointed a special commission to look into the Grand Ducal Family’s staff operations and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa’s role

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/l...-to-look-into-palace-staff-operations-129337/

Personalchaos am Hof: Bettel beauftragt Beobachter | Tageblatt.lu

The Grand Ducal Court of Luxembourg about the fortune of the family:

“The figures announced for years in certain publications relating to the fortune of the Grand Ducal Court, are pure fantasy. In reality, this fortune amounts to only a tiny percentage of the figures recently circulated.”

"Les chiffres annoncés depuis des années dans certaines publications relatives à la fortune de la Cour Grand-Ducale, relèvent de la pure fantaisie. Ladite fortune ne s’élève en réalité, qu’à un infime pourcentage des chiffres récemment colportés."

https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1381399.html

For about an article that is the second rich Royal Family in Europe

https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1378691.html

Luxembourg’s Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has appointed a special commission to look into the Grand Ducal Family’s staff operations and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa’s role

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/l...-to-look-into-palace-staff-operations-129337/

Last edited by a moderator:

In most monarchies this would be an unprecedented action by the government, I think. Has anything of the sort happened in Luxembourg in the past? A suicide of a former employee and the termination/resignation of thirty employees in the last four years are mentioned in the article; are these the events which motivated the government inquiry?

Wow. :ohmy:
In most monarchies this would be an unprecedented action by the government, I think. Has anything of the sort happened in Luxembourg in the past? A suicide of a former employee and the termination/resignation of thirty employees in the last four years are mentioned in the article; are these the events which motivated the government inquiry?
I agree! This is bad for the court and especially damaging to Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. I recall a kerfuffle (last year? year before last?) when the Cour wanted to honor a consultant at National Day. The person had only been working on the Cour's reorg for a short time.

I wonder if the suicide of a former employee is the same person who threatened to write a tell-all book after termination and was suing the Cour/GD MT.

This is bad for the Grand Ducal House. Would the situation be so complicated for the government to have to take this action?

Embauches au Palais grand-ducal : le gouvernement met le holà | Le Quotidien

Google translation

- The Cour eventually settled with the former maid despite GD Maria Teresa's earlier statement to go to court rather than settle.
- Before the maid, a cook was dismissed
- An employee, who was decorated with Adolphe de Nassau's Order of Civil and Military Merit 5 years earlier, committed suicide in May 2018. He was dismissed due to "serious misconduct." Police picked him up on his way to work one morning. He could not bear the affront and committed suicide in his apartment.
- Chantal Selva mess in 2016. MT appointed Ms. Selva as external consultant to modernize the court but Ms. Selva was later found to have a criminal record. Also, the Cour wanted to honor Ms. Selva with a medal on National Day despite her working for less than a year [RTL]. (Reorg started in September 2015)
- Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has now appointed Jeannot Waringo to oversee hiring at the Cour.
- The Grand Duchess will no longer have the right to look at hirings that are not directly related to her person.

Last edited:
Embauches au Palais grand-ducal : le gouvernement met le holà | Le Quotidien

Google translation

- The Cour eventually settled with the former maid despite GD Maria Teresa's earlier statement to go to court rather than settle.
- Before the maid, a cook was dismissed
- An employee, who was decorated with Adolphe de Nassau's Order of Civil and Military Merit 5 years earlier, committed suicide in May 2018. He was dismissed due to "serious misconduct." Police picked him up on his way to work one morning. He could not bear the affront and committed suicide in his apartment.
- Chantal Selva mess in 2016. MT appointed Ms. Selva as external consultant to modernize the court but Ms. Selva was later found to have a criminal record. Also, the Cour wanted to honor Ms. Selva with a medal on National Day despite her working for less than a year [RTL]. (Reorg started in September 2015)
- Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has now appointed Jeannot Waringo to oversee hiring at the Cour.
- The Grand Duchess will no longer have the right to look at hirings that are not directly related to her person.

Oh my, I didn't know about that, no wonder they feel enough is enough.

I think this is a smart move by the PM. It is not that there has been dismissals but over the years there have been allegations of misconduct, threats of legal actions against the Grand Ducal Court, and even a related suicide. Since the government is paying for these employees it is only right that an inquest is made.

This is a seriously damaging to the grand duchess; especially since her name is specifically attached to this by the reporting about this oversight. Quite unprecedented and evidence of distrust on the side of the government (I assume they first tried to solve it differently).

Endly..
7.000.000 millions each year are paid by people of Luxembourg for the Grand Ducal Household.
30 employees left in 4 years and also a suicide among them.
Something goes wrong , I hope they will find out.
Tessy knows a lot about that of course.

Tessy shouldn't comment on this, she really shouldn't have a good relationship with Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
Just because an employee of the Grand-Ducal Family committed suicide doesn't mean it was because of his work.
I hope it all works out for the best.

Yes, in the article of the Quotidien (whose google translation is bad ), this employee who received a medal , when he enterred the Grand Ducal Castle , he was said his work was over , he committed suicide when he returned home.
the Grand Duchess is the boss of the Grand Ducal Family . I lived a few years in the City of Luxembourg and stay in contact with friends. They told me a lot about their Grand Duchess. I will write nothing because posters will say these are aristocratic possips!
Are you saying that the boss of the Grand Ducal Family is the Grand Duchess? I always thought that the Grand Ducal Family is popular and that Luxembourgers have a good image of the royal family.

Yes, in the article of the Quotidien (whose google translation is bad ), this employee who received a medal , when he enterred the Grand Ducal Castle , he was said his work was over , he committed suicide when he returned home.
the Grand Duchess is the boss of the Grand Ducal Family . I lived a few years in the City of Luxembourg and stay in contact with friends. They told me a lot about their Grand Duchess. I will write nothing because posters will say these are aristocratic possips!

Last edited:
Are you saying that the boss of the Grand Ducal Family is the Grand Duchess? I always thought that the Grand Ducal Family is popular and that Luxembourgers have a good image of the royal family.
I'm with Maria Olivia. From what I've heard the Grand Duchess is the one calling the shots in that family.

What about the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg? The agenda is empty. Guillaume and Stephanie have not appeared and the other members of the royal family have not appeared either.
The Grand Dukes Heirs have not appeared since June.

Last edited:
The Cour doesn't do a great job of updating the agenda which is frequently empty or out of date. Summer for the GDF can be long although I hope the agenda will be updated soon or the GDF schedule will pick up by mid-September.

Endly..
7.000.000 millions each year are paid by people of Luxembourg for the Grand Ducal Household.
30 employees left in 4 years and also a suicide among them.
Something goes wrong , I hope they will find out.
Tessy knows a lot about that of course.

This is turning out to a bit of an “annus horribilis” for the GDCourt with this unprecedented investigation, the death of Grand Duc Jean, Tessy’s sideshow, no sign of future heirs and even the temporary demise of our favourite Luxarazzi blog! Very sad.

More about the GDF's staffing issues (published on August 22)

Court staffing: government appoints special counsel - Delano - Luxembourg in English
[...] The latest rash of resignations were in the early summer when former Paperjam journalist Véronique Poujol quit her role as advisor to Grand Duchess Maria Teresa in the social, humanitarian and education domains. A couple of weeks earlier director of communications Monique Feidt and counsellor Alain Rousseau had also resigned...

[...] the grand duke showed little interest in organisational or personnel questions.

The latest move is further evidence that the government is becoming more and more involved in the court’s business, a strategy that has developed since the coalition between DP, LSAP and Déi Gréng took power in 2013. Prior to that there was an informal agreement of mutual trust and very little government say in the management of the court.
RTL Today - Grand Ducal Court: Special representative to examine Court personnel management after host of resignations and firings
[...]

[Jeannot] Waringo, the former director of the Inspectorate of Finance (IGF) will examine several different aspects relating to the Grand Ducal Court's personnel management. Then, Waringo will provide the prime minister with regular reports and suggest any required reforms. Above all, Waringo will endeavour to establish a clear hierarchy in terms of the Court's personnel and recruitment.

[...] [Prime Minister] Bettel did confirm that the nomination was decided following close consultation with Grand Duke Henri.

The prime minister also highlighted that Waringo would take up this role in a "devoted, but informal manner." Furthermore, Waringo will fulfil his task free of charge in the endeavour to provide clarity on the Court's hiring and personnel matters.

Last edited:
"Allegations surrounding the Grand Duchess as internal report publication looms .
The Lëtzebuerger Land has published an article on the alleged behaviour of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
According to journalist Pol Schock, Jeannot Waringo's impending report could tip the institution of the Luxembourg monarchy into a serious crisis."

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1457676.html

"Allegations surrounding the Grand Duchess as internal report publication looms .
The Lëtzebuerger Land has published an article on the alleged behaviour of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.
According to journalist Pol Schock, Jeannot Waringo's impending report could tip the institution of the Luxembourg monarchy into a serious crisis."

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1457676.html

Is Lëtzebuerger Land a reliable source, concerning the speculation on abdication?

I suppose the Waringo report will not be made public so it is likely we will not get to know much about its conclusions?

But if the GDss is not involved in hiring staff anymore due to recent changes that is indeed a big step for a government to make. One would assume the government wants to stay out of such things as much as possible normally, which can only mean that events forced them to intervene.

Not that the allegations themselves are overly surprising. Rumours about the GDss and her temper have been going around for years and years.

Last edited:
Hmm... some info was already reported in August when Jeannot Waringo was appointed. GD Maria Teresa has been the only one getting any blame... and GD Henri coming across as terribly passive.

I'm not sure I believe Lëtzebuerger Land about abdication... that seems extreme. I cannot see GD Maria Teresa lowering her profile and retiring with an occasional public appearance. The HGD couple would probably prefer more family time instead of becoming the reigning couple.

Is there a defined role for the spouse of a Grand Duke/Duchess? Perhaps the Waringo report (if it ever becomes public) will also recommend/clarify what a consort can and cannot do.

There is no defined role for consorts. They just happen to be married to the head of state. There is also no defined role for spouses to presidents. The one is more activist (Brigitte Macron-Trogneux), the one is more glamorous (Carla Sarkozy-Bruni), the one is more traditional (Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel). We see the same variety with the more activist Máxima, the more traditional Mathilde, the more arty Sonja, etc.

Is there a defined role for the spouse of a Grand Duke/Duchess? Perhaps the Waringo report (if it ever becomes public) will also recommend/clarify what a consort can and cannot do.

There is no defined role for consorts. They just happen to be married to the head of state. There is also no defined role for spouses to presidents. The one is more activist (Brigitte Macron-Trogneux), the one is more glamorous (Carla Sarkozy-Bruni), the one is more traditional (Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel). We see the same variety with the more activist Máxima, the more traditional Mathilde, the more arty Sonja, etc.

But there are in fact defined limits to what any constitutional monarch can do. It would only seem natural for there to be defined limits on what their consorts can do; otherwise, the consort's authority could be less circumscribed than that of the head of state.

It is nonsense to point to the Grand-Duchess only. It is the Grand-Duke whom organizes his House. It is the Grand-Duke (under ministerial responsibility) holding the budget assigned to the grand-ducal household organisation and it is the Grand-Duke signing appointments and dismissals, as long as it is about staff not having the status of a civil servant. In that last case, even the Grand-Duke has no authority to dismiss, as then not he but the State is the employer.

But there are in fact defined limits to what any constitutional monarch can do. It would only seem natural for there to be defined limits on what their consorts can do; otherwise, the consort's authority could be less circumscribed than that of the head of state.

The consort's authority is pretty clear: zero.

Let me quote Queen Juliana's father, His Royal Highness Prince Heinrich of the Netherlands, Duke of Mecklenburg, Fürst of Wenden, Schwerin, Ratzeburg, Count of Schwerin, Lord of the lands Rostock and Stargard: "Ich bin nur das Gepäck" (I am just the luggage).

Last edited:
I'm with Maria Olivia. From what I've heard the Grand Duchess is the one calling the shots in that family.

I´m with Maria Olivia.The [Grand Duchess] suffers of mental & emotional diarrhea.Having a temper is one thing,but the out of controle emotional outbursts are of a different league.I recall the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte having a `difficult time`with MT for years. Perhaps JC sensed what MT was really about. She has to be curtailed to a non public role for the foreseeable future as she is an absolute nuisance to the staff, pretentious [woman] who now shows her true colours.The woman is a burden to her next of kin,specifically Henri,and the staff.

Gosh that's nice. I thought that the Lux RF were very popular and the public were very fond of them...

I´m with Maria Olivia.The [Grand Duchess] suffers of mental & emotional diarrhea.Having a temper is one thing, but the out of controle emotional outbursts are of a different league.I recall the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte having a `difficult time`with MT for years. Perhaps JC sensed what MT was really about. She has to be curtailed to a non public role for the foreseeable future as she is an absolute nuisance to the staff, pretentious [woman] who now shows her true colours.The woman is a burden to her next of kin,specifically Henri,and the staff.

Quite so. Josephine-Charlotte saw this coming.

Back
Top Bottom