The Waringo Investigation into the Functioning of the Luxembourg Court 2019/2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the Japanese Modell seems to be the other extreme. The Emperor and his family seem to be more slaves to the system than to have any say at all about their lives.

I agree. Not sure why the Japanese court would be most modern. The imperial family seems to be held hostage by the Imperial Household and I am quite sure the European royal families wouldn't accept such a fate (and rightly so).

This reminds me of this "Marie Antoinette" film. But back then it was not about whos purse pays for what, but about privilege!

And I am afraid this interference with the private matters of the Royal Houses ist a leftover from this times - It seems rude and unpolite... and "ridiculous" ->

It seems nowadays the relationship between the government and the monarch/royal house is mostly a partnership. Both have a distinct function and should be in support of each other. If a monarch manages his household well there is no need at all for the government to step in.

The problem in this case was that the way the Grand Duke managed his house was so bad that the government had little choice but to interfere. Had the GD done a better job it wouldn't have been needed. Based on the GD's letter earlier this year, I have little hope for the current reign (GD Henri won't really change his ways other than what he is forced to change) but expect that the next GD will do a better job - his wife seems very different in character compared to her mother-in-law; so the main risk would be that GD Maria Teresa will continue to have a strong influence on her son.

Last edited:
so this affair is continuing? are there any preliminary findings?

i was always a bit MT fan as well. this has changed my perception of her.

with regards to her relationship with her daughters in law, i always had the sensation she got along well with tessy, but in recent accounts of tessy i don't think that was the case. i think she gets on with stephanie as well but again, the appearances may not be correct. as for claire, my feeling is that they don't see each other that much to have a very close relationship, but it is probably cordial, albeit with separation.

Incidentally, around the time of Guillaume's wedding I was a member of a private message board dedicated to the GD family. Someone who claimed to be an acquaintance of a maid at Berg posted that the servants threw celebratory gatherings whenever MT left for Paris. She was both loathed and feared.

I didn't repeat that information here or anywhere else for two main reasons:

1) I would have been kicked off the Lux private board for repeating it...it was a very strictly enforced rule not to repeat anything on other sites.

2) I was a dedicated Maria Teresa fangirl and did not want to believe it. MT was so disliked by her staff that they celebrated when she was away?!

I remember that board, they indeed seemed to have very strict guidelines. can't remember the name. is it even still in operation?

I agree. Not sure why the Japanese court would be most modern. The imperial family seems to be held hostage by the Imperial Household and I am quite sure the European royal families wouldn't accept such a fate (and rightly so).

Not the court, but the constitutional monarchy (in response to post #327). The constitution of Japan restricts the powers of the monarch more than any other reigning monarchy in the world.

It seems nowadays the relationship between the government and the monarch/royal house is mostly a partnership. Both have a distinct function and should be in support of each other. If a monarch manages his household well there is no need at all for the government to step in.

The problem in this case was that the way the Grand Duke managed his house was so bad that the government had little choice but to interfere. Had the GD done a better job it wouldn't have been needed. Based on the GD's letter earlier this year, I have little hope for the current reign (GD Henri won't really change his ways other than what he is forced to change) but expect that the next GD will do a better job - his wife seems very different in character compared to her mother-in-law; so the main risk would be that GD Maria Teresa will continue to have a strong influence on her son.

Yes, and even more: usually all Prime Ministers will defend the Royal House on base of the privilege of the monarch to organize his/her House. The term partnership is correct. As long as the Household often is the shining example for other ministerial departments for accountability and transparency, there is little to interfere for the Prime Minister.

But imagine that a consort feels it has to fight his/her own vendetta within the Household, this is equally unacceptable as the partner of a minister, of a general, of a mayor interfering with HRM affairs or staff organization.

As the Household is partly working for the private life-sphere of the grand-ducal or royal family, it is natural that the partner has a say in domestic affairs, but always has to realize these are civil servants, working for (and usually totally dedicated to) the head of state. When the position of civil servants is under threat by antics of (the family of) the head of state, it is right that the Prime Minister can interfere.

Eskimo, how do we know JC took a racist view of MT? We only have MT's allegations.

Did JC have a verified history of making racial slurs in public or private?

It's now been two decades since her death. Not one negative story or anecdote from her servants, acquaintances etc. I find that very revealing.

Incidentally, around the time of Guillaume's wedding I was a member of a private message board dedicated to the GD family. Someone who claimed to be an acquaintance of a maid at Berg posted that the servants threw celebratory gatherings whenever MT left for Paris. She was both loathed and feared.

1) I would have been kicked off the Lux private board for repeating it...it was a very strictly enforced rule not to repeat anything on other sites.

2) I was a dedicated Maria Teresa fangirl and did not want to believe it. MT was so disliked by her staff that they celebrated when she was away?!

So...I was not as shocked by the Waringo report as other posters were. But I was very disappointed to say the least.:sad:

Very insightful post.

That is why I put racist in brackets. JC's view of MT was presented in that fashion--does not mean it was remotely true. But it seems that MT has been a handful long before she became GD and in my view will bring down the LUX monarch if not controlled soon.

In what way has she been a "handful"? I do remember something about her saying that her mother in law Josephine charlotte was racist.. I don't know if its true, but it was unusual for a royal to say things like that....

In what way has she been a "handful"? I do remember something about her saying that her mother in law Josephine charlotte was racist.. I don't know if its true, but it was unusual for a royal to say things like that....

In some frustration or anger the Grand-Duchess seems to have remarked, off the record, if we may believe rumours: "there she goes again, la petite cubaine... " which is not racist at all but a factual statement: María Teresa is petite and she is Cuban. It would be the same as MT saying "that stiff Belgian" which factually is correct as JC seems to have invented the stiff upper lip, with ice water running through her veins and is Belgian indeed.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you Duc... I agree. I have read that at one particular low point in their relationship Laurent was referring to his Aunt Fabiola as " The Spanish Witch".:ohmy:

Her own father-in-law Leopold III referred to her as " L'Espagnole" occasionally.

Baudouin and Fabiola became "the Holy Rollers of Laeken" according to one Belgian journalist.

There are all kinds of put-downs besides racist ones.

I don't think referring to her petite Cuban born daughter-in-law as La Petite Cubaine was very polite, but I don't think of it as necessarily racist either.

:previous: Thank you Duc... I agree. I have read that at one particular low point in their relationship Laurent was referring to his Aunt Fabiola as " The Spanish Witch".:ohmy:

Her own father-in-law Leopold III referred to her as " L'Espagnole" occasionally.

Baudouin and Fabiola became "the Holy Rollers of Laeken" according to one Belgian journalist.

There are all kinds of put-downs besides racist ones.

I don't think referring to her petite Cuban born daughter-in-law as La Petite Cubaine was very polite, but I don't think of it as necessarily racist either.

It is from all times. Like blaming the Duke of Edinburgh for being German while he is a Grecian-born prince with a father who was from the Danish royal family and a mother born at nowhere else than in the very heart of the British monarchy: Windsor Castle.

Queen Marie-Antoinette was always l'Autrichienne with a negative intonation. And Tsarina Alexandra was so unpopular that she was almost the she-devil in very own person.

When people are in conflict, then this sort of "us" and "theirs" becomes part of the vocabulaire.

The Grand Duchess discoursed on the Waringo report in her June 2020 interview with Paris Match.

Le Grand-Duc a évoqué aussi votre volonté commune de moderniser la monarchie…

Nous essayons depuis le début du règne de faire avancer les choses mais, comme dans beaucoup d’anciennes institutions, nous nous sommes heurtés à une très grande résistance interne. Mon mari voulait depuis longtemps mettre en place certaines des réformes préconisées dans ce rapport. Mais, trop souvent, des personnes en situation de responsabilité à l’intérieur de notre propre maison ont résisté à ses demandes.

Ce rapport rappelait de manière cinglante qu’en tant que Grande-Duchesse, vous n’avez pas de rôle constitutionnel. Vivez-vous comme une souffrance l’effacement que cela sous-entend ?

Je ne le vis pas comme une souffrance, car je n’ai jamais prétendu au moindre rôle constitutionnel. J’assume une tâche difficile qui m’oblige à donner la priorité à ma vie officielle sur ma vie privée et familiale et cela mérite d’être reconnu. Tout est contradictoire : d’un côté, on attend de moi d’être là, aux côtés de mon époux, en représentation, et de l’autre, on me rappelle insidieusement que je ne représente rien. En psychologie, cela s’appelle des injonctions paradoxales. On me reproche d’avoir trop d’influence sur mon mari ? Nous sommes un couple, nous échangeons, dialoguons, partageons nos préoccupations. Rien de plus normal, il me semble. N’attend-on pas de toute épouse qu’elle épaule son mari, a fortiori s’ils sont royaux ou hommes d’Etat ? Je me souviens des très jolis mots du roi Albert II des Belges rendant hommage à son épouse, la reine Paola. Il disait en substance qu’il n’aurait pas pu vivre sa vie de souverain sans son soutien constant. Malgré les privilèges, être deux pour faire face à ces vies « hors norme » me paraît important. Ce n’est pas un plaisir d’évoquer ces choses et, croyez-moi, si je le fais, c’est uniquement avec le souci de préparer une voie meilleure aux générations futures. Qui sait, un jour peut-être, l’épouse du prince Charles m’en remerciera.

(The Grand Duke also mentioned your shared determination to modernize the monarchy...

We have been trying since the beginning of the reign to move things forward but, as in many old institutions, we've come up against strong internal resistance. My husband has wanted for a long time to implement some of the reforms recommended in the report. But, too often, people in positions of responsibility in our own household resisted his requests.

The report witheringly noted that as Grand Duchess, you have no constitutional role. Do you feel pained by the implied erasure in that?

I don't feel pained, since I've never aspired to the slightest constitutional role. I carry out a difficult task requiring me to give priority to my official life over my private and family life and that deserves to be recognized. It's all contradictory: On the one hand, I'm expected to be there, at my husband's side, representing, and on the other, they insidiously remind me that I represent nothing. In psychology, those are known as paradoxical injunctions. They reproach me for having too much influence over my husband? We're a couple, we communicate, we discuss, we share our concerns. Nothing more normal, it seems to me. Isn't every wife expected to support her husband, especially if they are royals or statesmen? I remember some very beautiful words from King Albert II of the Belgians paying homage to his wife, Queen Paola. He said in effect that he wouldn't have been able to live his life as sovereign without her constant support. In spite of the privileges, having two of you to take on these "out of the ordinary" lives seems important. It's no pleasure to talk about these things and believe me, when I do so, it's altogether out of concern for leaving a better path for future generations. Who knows, perhaps one day, Prince Charles's wife will thank me.)

Gilio Fonck, currently deputy head of representation at the European Commission will take on the role of HR manager as of 1 September.

Marc Baltes, former economic adviser to Prime Minister Xavier Bettel, will become chief adviser and editor of the Grand Duke's speeches.

New faces at court - Delano - Luxembourg in English

RTL Today - Planned reform of monarchy: Government plan 'unconstitutional and unacceptable' for CSV
[...]

The CSV has accused the PM of disrespect towards the Grand-Duke as well as the constitution, labelling the proposals as unacceptable. Last week, deputies presented a plan to reform the monarchy in front of the Chamber. The government plans to carry out the reform by Grand Ducal decree, which has alienated the CSV.

The CSV has demanded more transparency and modernisation at the Court, but insisted that this should be put into effect through laws, and not by decree, as this would not require advice from the State Council nor the approval of the Chamber of Deputies.

[...]
CSV = Chrëschtlech Sozial Vollekspartei (Christian Social People's Party)

Last edited:
Xavier Bettel in an interview with RTL spoke about the reform of the monarchy.

I stand for monarchy and with the reform it will be strengthened, said the Prime Minister at the end of the broadcast.

One week after the Waringo report, the new Maison du Grand-Duc was created by Grand-Ducal decree. The CSV had criticized that this was done by decree, not in the form of a law and passed by the Chamber and the Council of State.

Xavier Bettel was very surprised by the criticism, as he had already announced in a commission meeting on 14 July that he would like to do so by arrest. He also had no concerns that it was not constitutional. And he would have informed the Chamber about what he wanted. He should not have done that.

The reform would be necessary for a modern and transparent monarchy and would be carried out in agreement with the Grand Duke.

https://www.rtl.lu/radio/background/a/1596060.html

Eskimo, how do we know JC took a racist view of MT? We only have MT's allegations.

Did JC have a verified history of making racial slurs in public or private?

It's now been two decades since her death. Not one negative story or anecdote from her servants, acquaintances etc. I find that very revealing.

So...I was not as shocked by the Waringo report as other posters were. But I was very disappointed to say the least.:sad:

I have a theory that Maria Teresa became a bitter and unhappy woman and that's why she's lashed out at so many people if we are to believe the Waringo Report. When she married Henri, she was like a breath of fresh air, a very pretty charming young lady with exquisite manners and highly educated. Then Henri became a womanizer and had a very public affair that everyone in Luxembourg knew about [the worst kept secret in the Grand Duchy] this turned her bitter, unhappy and angry and a bit unstable. That's, after all, when she convened the inpudent press conference where she attacked her mother-in-law.

Sad that she allowed her marital failure get the better of her.

I have a theory that Maria Teresa became a bitter and unhappy woman and that's why she's lashed out at so many people if we are to believe the Waringo Report. When she married Henri, she was like a breath of fresh air, a very pretty charming young lady with exquisite manners and highly educated. Then Henri became a womanizer and had a very public affair that everyone in Luxembourg knew about [the worst kept secret in the Grand Duchy] this turned her bitter, unhappy and angry and a bit unstable. That's, after all, when she convened the inpudent press conference where she attacked her mother-in-law.

Sad that she allowed her marital failure get the better of her.

I had never heard Henri was an adulterer ...was it a one time thing or multiple affairs?

LaRae

I had never heard Henri was an adulterer ...was it a one time thing or multiple affairs?

LaRae

Grand Duke Henri had at least one very public long term affair with a woman who worked/works in Luxembourg's government. I don't know about other affairs, but this one that he did have was scandalous because it was so poorly hidden.

As you can imagine, Maria Teresa who is the first lady of Luxembourg was terribly hurt and ashamed. Rumors started swirling that she got a home in Paris and in essence moved out of the royal palace and would only come back to Luxembourg for official events. That rumor has persisted and to this day some people say that their marriage is irreparably broken and it's only a marriage in appearance.

Last edited:
At the time of the erratic press conference of MT she accused her mother-in-law of spreading false rumours about an affair of Henri with a lady from the Lux. government. At the time the lady was identified as Lydie Polfer. But I thought these rumours were dispelled.

Last edited:
I have no particular "dog in the fight" but If theres no evidence of Josephine making racist remarks about Maria Teresa, is there evidence of Henri becoming a womaniser and MT in retaliation getting bitter and angry? It all seems vague. I have only been to Lux once and there was something I read that the Lux RF were very popular and that tourists were advised not to criticise them - so if Henri was sleeping around, was this an open secret in Lux but not discussed because the LRF were so well loved? It all seems a mass of rumours...

Wow, 18 posts to fill?? That is a massive employment drive. Have people left all these posts in the Cour recently or have some roles been created since the Waringo report?

Yes I'm wondering too are these vacancies by people that have left the GD Court.

So an increase in funding? Or certainly a case of following other European Royal Houses and putting all the finances under 1 organisation rather than spreading the cost out to all sorts of different ministries and public bodies. Interesting that the final amount has gone up though

The Grand Duchess lives in Biarritz.

It has been mentioned the Grand Duchess prefers France. Perhaps living in France is an outcome of the Waringo Investigation, a place GD MT now feels more comfortable. Does the GD family own property in Biarritz?

I wonder how this works during the pandemic as different countries have their own restrictions especially regarding travel. Hopefully, if this is all true, GD Maria Teresa will return home to Luxembourg for Christmas. Very interesting, Maria-Olivia!

The GD couple purchased an apartment in Biarritz over the summer. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa probably splits her time between Paris, Biarritz, and Luxembourg.

She looked quite tanned for a video message in November for Orange Week 2020 although she could have recorded it in advance.

Orange Week - Message de la Grande-Duchesse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2020

Grand Ducal couple reportedly eyeing Biarritz retirement - Delano - Luxembourg in English (August 2020)
Grand Duke Henri and his wife have acquired a flat in the seaside town of Biarritz, with a view to retiring there.

While the cost of security in Cabasson, their Provençal residence, was raised this summer by a parliamentary question from Sven Clement (Piratepartei), it is in Biarritz that the Grand Ducal couple could spend much time in future.

[...]

This is a secret getaway, for both of us”, the Grand Duchess was quoted as saying. “We still have obligations in Luxembourg, especially my husband, who has a lot of work, our installation here is not for now, but why not in a few years...”

The GD couple purchased an apartment in Biarritz over the summer. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa probably splits her time between Paris, Biarritz, and Luxembourg.

She looked quite tanned for a video message in November for Orange Week 2020 although she could have recorded it in advance.

Orange Week - Message de la Grande-Duchesse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2020

Grand Ducal couple reportedly eyeing Biarritz retirement - Delano - Luxembourg in English (August 2020)

It is an modest appartment in an block. Not at all secluded and gated accomodation for the Grand-Duke and -Duchess of Luxembourg. But maybe the simplicity of life in Biarritz is what attaches them.

It is an modest appartment in an block. Not at all secluded and gated accomodation for the Grand-Duke and -Duchess of Luxembourg. But maybe the simplicity of life in Biarritz is what attaches them.

If it is just an apartment and not a grand estate, I suspect this is a holiday home that will be used from time to time, but little more than that.

All the videos have the same holiday background an not the Royal Palace of Luxembourg.

Back
Top Bottom