State Visit from Cabo Verde to Luxembourg: May 23 - 25, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
Last edited by a moderator:
State Visit Postponed

Yesterday the following announcement was made on the monarchie.lu website.

In view of the evolution of the COVID-19 virus in Luxembourg, the State Visit of His Excellency Jorge Carlos Fonseca, President of the Republic of Cabo Verde, and Mrs. Lígia Dias Fonseca to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is postponed to a later date.

I was thinking it would indeed be cancelled the right decision.

Yesterday the following announcement was made on the monarchie.lu website.

In view of the evolution of the COVID-19 virus in Luxembourg, the State Visit of His Excellency Jorge Carlos Fonseca, President of the Republic of Cabo Verde, and Mrs. Lígia Dias Fonseca to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is postponed to a later date.

This visit postroned once back May 2019 and twice this year.
Maybe the third one is more lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Stephanie, Claire or Alexandra will attend the State Banquet, for example?

Does Stephanie, Claire or Alexandra will attend the State Banquet, for example?

Only tomorrow will we know. But I believe that Guillaume and Stéphanie must be present at the state banquet.

What a horrible execution of the dresscode. Jacquet with black tie? In Amsterdam the guests from Cabo Verde wore white tie, so they know how to dress properly. Very strange they now appear as without a clue!

It is a pity that none of the women of the Grand Ducal Family were present. The Grand Duchess has Covid-19 and Stéphanie is left to take care of her baby son.
Was there no possibility that Alexandra or Claire were present? Or have not even thought about that possibility?

Poor showing by members of the ladies of the Grand Ducal Family for the State Visit ,GDMT and Stephanie can be excused but Claire or Sibylla could have attended in their place?

What a horrible execution of the dresscode. Jacquet with black tie? In Amsterdam the guests from Cabo Verde wore white tie, so they know how to dress properly. Very strange they now appear as without a clue!

I’m honestly very much shocked when I see this type of mistakes. I’m 100% sure offices discuss the dresscode and cascade it down to those in charge. Macron, the President of South Africa at BP, the President of Cabo Verde yesterday, Republics are so hopeless. I feel embarrassed for those Presidents when looking at these pictures.

Very sad to see no GD lady showed up yesterday. But I’m sure they had a rightful excuse for not being there.

There are only 2 who need an exuse, MT and Stephanie. And perhaps you can throw Alexandra in as well as she has stood in for her mother before.

Claire and Sibylla are private citizens. They have work, family, other obligations. Newly married Alexandra off enjoying first weeks of marriage. Its not like it has been known for weeks that MT would not be able to attend.I am sure either woman if it had been thought important enough for there to be a hostess, given some proper warning, would have come. May have been a bit odd having Sibylla act as de facto first lady for her brother in law, especially if her husband was not in attendance as well.

MT with covid and Stephanie on maternity leave.

One upside to UK having an inflated monarchy and a 'either you are fully in or get out policy' you have an excess of royal women to fill in.

Awkward state banquet dress code. yikes

I think it was too short notice for anyone to fill in. Perhaps there were on-going discussions for Princess Alexandra to substitute in Japan in 2017, given GD Maria Teresa's fear of flying. Since Cabo Verde is an incoming state visit, no contingency plan seemed necessary. Summoning Alexandra or Claire, "you're needed tomorrow (or next 3 days)!" isn't a good idea. I didn't expect Stephanie to attend.

It is a pity that none of the women of the Grand Ducal Family were present. The Grand Duchess has Covid-19 and Stéphanie is left to take care of her baby son.
Was there no possibility that Alexandra or Claire were present? Or have not even thought about that possibility?

Poor showing by members of the ladies of the Grand Ducal Family for the State Visit ,GDMT and Stephanie can be excused but Claire or Sibylla could have attended in their place?

There are only 2 who need an exuse, MT and Stephanie. And perhaps you can throw Alexandra in as well as she has stood in for her mother before.

Claire and Sibylla are private citizens. They have work, family, other obligations. Newly married Alexandra off enjoying first weeks of marriage. Its not like it has been known for weeks that MT would not be able to attend.I am sure either woman if it had been thought important enough for there to be a hostess, given some proper warning, would have come. May have been a bit odd having Sibylla act as de facto first lady for her brother in law, especially if her husband was not in attendance as well.

MT with covid and Stephanie on maternity leave.

One upside to UK having an inflated monarchy and a 'either you are fully in or get out policy' you have an excess of royal women to fill in.

Awkward state banquet dress code. yikes

I think it was too short notice for anyone to fill in. Perhaps there were on-going discussions for Princess Alexandra to substitute in Japan in 2017, given GD Maria Teresa's fear of flying. Since Cabo Verde is an incoming state visit, no contingency plan seemed necessary. Summoning Alexandra or Claire, "you're needed tomorrow (or next 3 days)!" isn't a good idea. I didn't expect Stephanie to attend.

It was unfortunate that neither M-T or Stephanie could attend the gala. That said, much as we like to see royal ladies dressed up in gowns and tiara's, the plus ones often only have a limited role to play. Involving Claire or Sibylla, who are so far removed from the close working of the monarchy, does not, IMO, make much sense.

Alexandra has deputised on behalf of her mother from time to time, but her presence would have been sought at very short notice in view of M-T's illness, and she probably had other commitments.

I guess MT was they only one scheduled to attened the State Banquet. Stéphanie is still on maternitiy leave and therefore excused. Alexandra is perhaps still on honeymoon. And Claire and Felix have never been present at State Visits. and Guillaume and Sibylla only attened Family occasion, since his brother became Grand Duke. They used to be present at some State Banquets under his fathers reign, but nowadays they are also not present at the National Day.

The first lady is absolutely stunning!

What a disappointing showing! I'm sorry I am of the opinion that with so many titled members who do carry out engagements that someone (or a few) people could have attended.

I also think that Stephanie could've attended as well. After all she did attend the closing of the Octave.

If this was a state visit from Spain or any of their European counterparts there would never be such poor showing.

Why are they still even testing for Covid? If she's unwell then she can't attend regardless of what's wrong with her but if they are all just randomly testing I don't know why.

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa tested positive for Covid shortly after her return from the 2023 Cannes Film Festival.

I’m honestly very much shocked when I see this type of mistakes. I’m 100% sure offices discuss the dresscode and cascade it down to those in charge. Macron, the President of South Africa at BP, the President of Cabo Verde yesterday, Republics are so hopeless. I feel embarrassed for those Presidents when looking at these pictures.

Very sad to see no GD lady showed up yesterday. But I’m sure they had a rightful excuse for not being there.

The strange thing is that when President Jorge Carlos de Almeida Fonseca of Cape Verde visited Amsterdam, the whole delegation was in white tie. So they know how a dresscode works. It is really sloppiness with no eye for detail. And also strange that the hosts (Luxembourg) have lowered the dresscode to black tie.

Back
Top Bottom