Spanish Introductory Visit to Luxembourg: November 11, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious as to what happens in these visits. Can anyone clarify? Do they just really go and introduce themselves as the new king & queen of Spain and that's it? It's not like a state visit?

Well, I suppose it's the royal version of going round to meet the new neighbours - or rather the new neighbours going round to introduce themselves. It's a formal, official visit of introduction where the new king and queen pay a courtesy visit to their counterparts in other countries and to meet high profile officials such as the minister of foreign affairs.
The key words being introductory and courtesy.

:previous:
I was about to ask the same question. Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie should have gone to the airport with her husband to meet the guests. Her absence is odd indeed.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2589771.html#comments
The above link contains photos of Spanish Introductory visit to Luxembourg.

I don't think so, really. The Grand Duke was there to walk the carpet with the king, and his Heir was there for his spouse. Stephanie would have been a sort of third wheel and it would have been rather awkward...was she going to tag along behind Guillaume and Letizia? The two Lux Royals greeting the two Spanish Royals was perfect. Stephanie wasn't needed at the airport.

The fact that she was at the palace luncheon with her mother-in-law was fine.

Last edited:
I think Guillaume looked just fine. He is probably not the flashiest prince of his generation of young Royals but he is definitely among the most accomplished and professional. I noticed he was chatting easily with Queen Letizia in her native Spanish, in which he is fluent.

For all their youthful flair, I don't think that's something Fred of Denmark could pull off and I know for a fact Carl-Philip can't speak Spanish either.

Luxembougers should be very, very proud of their Hereditary Grand Duke, imo.

If Guillaume speaks Spanish, why did Felipe greet him in English when he met them after the King and Queen got of the aircraft?

I think Guillaume looked just fine. He is probably not the flashiest prince of his generation of young Royals but he is definitely among the most accomplished and professional. I noticed he was chatting easily with Queen Letizia in her native Spanish, in which he is fluent.

For all their youthful flair, I don't think that's something Fred of Denmark could pull off and I know for a fact Carl-Philip can't speak Spanish either.

Luxembougers should be very, very proud of their Hereditary Grand Duke, imo.

I agree Moonmaiden23. I think Guillaume is a wonderful young Royal :flowers:. Fred of Denmark, please!!!!!!! what does he do? Because I see Mary traveling alone (South Africa, etc...) everywhere. Does he have any official duties? Does he spend his life going from one race to another?

If Guillaume speaks Spanish, why did Felipe greet him in English when he met them after the King and Queen got of the aircraft?

Beats me! Gui's Spanish is virtually flawless. In fact, in one video he can be heard joking "mejor que un selfie"!("Better than a selfie"!) after snapping a photo of Queen Letizia with some admirers:).

I don't think so, really. The Grand Duke was there to walk the carpet with the king, and his Heir was there for his spouse. Stephanie would have been a sort of third wheel and it would have been rather awkward...was she going to tag along behind Guillaume and Letizia? The two Lux Royals greeting the two Spanish Royals was perfect. Stephanie wasn't needed at the airport.

The fact that she was at the palace luncheon with her mother-in-law was fine.
I think you are correct. Usually it seems the CP, or in this case, HGD couple meet the guests at the airport and are formally introduced to the GD couple when they arrive at the Palace, etc.

Well I have this theory . . . King Philippe doesn't speak Luxembourgish or French that well and the Grand Duke doesn't speak Spanish. But, both he and and the HGD speak English. Now here's where it gets interesting (in my theory), the King and Grand Duke chat happily to each other as they inspect the guard and take the salute. Meanwhile Gui, our happy little linguist, speaks perfect Spanish and is able to make the new Queen, whose English is not as good as her her husband, feel totally relaxed and welcome, right down to taking photos for her!

Just a theory. :flowers:

:previous: I agree MARG. I know that Letizia speaks English, but I suspect she is much more comfortable in her native Spanish. And Guillaume, being the gracious and accomplished young man that he is, was able to converse easily with the Queen of Spain in her own language-so he did!;)

Back
Top Bottom