Prince Jean and Family, News and Events Part 1: June 2003 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jalmey

Aristocracy
The other members of the grand-ducal family

Statistics of Princess Margaretha

Born on 15 May 1957 at Betzdorf Castle, twin sister of Prince Jean, Princess Margaretha studied at the European School in Luxembourg, as well as in Belgium, the United Kingdom and the United States.

She married His Serene Highness Prince Nicolas of Liechtenstein on 20 March 1982. Three children were born out of this marriage:

Princess Maria-Annunciata (b. 12 May 1985)
Princess Marie-Astrid (b. 26 June 1987)
Prince Joseph-Emmanuel (b. 7 May 1989)

Prince Nicolas is the middle brother of the reigning Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein.

Statistics of Prince Jean

Born on 15 May 1957 at Betzdorf Castle, twin brother of Princess Margaretha, Prince Jean studied in Luxembourg, Switzerland and France, where he obtained his baccalaureate.

He then attended language courses in the United Kingdom. In 1977, he obtained his officer's commission after a period of study at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst. In 1979, he was appointed captain in the Luxembourg Army.

Prince Jean completed his higher education at the Institut Européen d'Administration des Affaires (INSEAD) in Fontainebleau, France. Today he works in the financial services industry.

Following the declaration of 26 September 1986, he renounced his rights of succession to the throne. He married Hélène Vestur on 27 May 1987. Four children were born out of this marriage:

Princess Marie-Gabrielle Nassau (b. 8 December 1986)
Prince Constantin Nassau (b. 22 July 1988)
Prince Wenceslas Nassau (b. 17 November 1990)
Prince Carl-Johan Nassau (b. 15 August 1992)

Last edited by a moderator:
www.ibl.se

04/12/2003. Wedding of PrinceLaurent of Belgium with ClaireCoombs: Civil ceremony at the city hall of Brussels Jean, Sibilla & Guillaume of Luxembourg © Photo News / Gamma 734755

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4,911
Jean de Nassau, brother of Henri

Does anyone know of any recent pics of Henri's brother Jean & his family?

He gave up his rights to the throne, so we don't know alot about him. He and his twin sister have a thread here.

why did he give up the rights to the thrown?????????????????????????????????

ohhhh naughty hehe very naughty.. the royal family are close to the pope and very holy and pure arent they :) i would love to meet the pope :)

can someone post some facts about him and his family

Prince Jean

Born on 15 May 1957 at Betzdorf Castle, twin brother of Princess Margaretha, Prince Jean studied in Luxembourg, Switzerland and France, where he obtained his baccalaureate.

He then attended language courses in the United Kingdom. In 1977, he obtained his officer's commission after a period of study at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst. In 1979, he was appointed captain in the Luxembourg Army.

Prince Jean completed his higher education at the Institut Européen d'Administration des Affaires (INSEAD) in Fontainebleau, France. Today he works in the financial services industry.

Following the declaration of 26 September 1986, he renounced his rights of succession to the throne. He married Hélène Vestur on 27 May 1987. Four children were born out of this marriage:

• Princess Marie-Gabrielle Nassau (b. 8 December 1986)
  • Prince Constantin Nassau (b. 22 July 1988)
  • Prince Wenceslas Nassau (b. 17 November 1990)
  • Prince Carl-Johan Nassau (b. 15 August 1992)

Was he very sad about this decision. Was he the first born? But I am glad that he did the honest thing and married his lady. Cudos to him

so his children are princes and princess what about his wife is he princess and is he still a prince

Hahaha....i thought so to! I don't think that he and Henri look related...maybe it's the glasses!! Who knows?

the children of Prince Jean aren't princess/princes. They are Counts/Countess de Nassau as is his wife.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
But if it had happened tody, I doubt he would have to give up his rights to the throne.
er .... he didn't give it up all that long ago.

and I would tend to think if things were changed where "it happened today", he would still have had to give up his rights. Luxembourg is a very religious country and imo a "sea change" cannot come about until at least the (former) Grand Duke Jean passes on.

i found this over at the benelux msg board. grand duke henri upped, so to speak, the titles of jean and robert as well as their children on nov 27, 2004. here's a link for anyone intersted: http://members3.boardhost.com/Beneluxroyal/msg/139723.html

i think that's good news as i believe that jean shouldn't have had to give up his rights just to marry the woman he loves(ed)- loved b/c there's news that he and helene are divorced, which is sad.

wardenbabe13844 said:
Wenceslas

How do you pronounce his name? I want to say Win-ses-las? :rolleyes:
It's a latin form of a slavian name, "vjenez" meaning wreath and "slava" meaning glory
I think it's spelled on the French way Wen-ses-la but I'm not sure!:rolleyes:

Prince Jean of Nassau and his children Marie-Gabrielle, Constantin, Wenceslas and Carl at the funeral of 15th January 2005

Prince Jean read the 1st letter of Saint Paul apostleto Tessaloniki:

Frères et soeurs, nous ne voulons pas vous laisser dans l'ignorance que tu viens de ceux qui ce sont endormis dans la mort. Il ne faut pas que vous soyez abbattu comme les autres qui n'ont pas d'ignorance. Jesus, nous le croyons est mort et réssuscitait. De même nous le croyons ceux qui ce sont endormis. Dieu à cause de Jesus les emmènera avec son fils pour toujours avec le seigneur. Retenez ce que je viens de dire et récomportez vous les uns les autres. Parole du seigneur.

Translation:Brothers and sisters, we don't want to leave you alone in the ignorance that you come from those who are fallen asleep in the death. You ought not be despondent like the others who have no ignorance. Jesus we believe in that, is dead and than have been resurrected. We believe the same from those who are fallen asleep. God on account of Jesus will bring them with his son thus we are forever with the lord. Remember what I've said and find together. Speech of God.

1.and 2. pictures of Prince Jean speeking

Princess Marie Gabrielle (eldest daughter of Prince Jean of Nassau) speaking her prayer in French: Ceci est spécialement pour amaman. Que la joie que tu nous donnes maintenant soit une consolation pour notre cher apapa et qu'elle régale surtout notre famille.​

Translation:This is especially for our dear grandma. May the joy which you are giving us in this moment be a consolation for our dear grandpa and join our family.​

3. Princess Marie-Gabrielle making the speech​
4. to 6. pics of Prince Jean at the funeral​
7. picture of the children of Prince Jean at the funeral (second row)​

Note: Sorry if you have seen some of them but pictures of Jean and his family are very rare.;) :(

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 560
  • FuneraillesGDJC02.sized.jpg
    FuneraillesGDJC02.sized.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 591
  • FuneraillesGDJC_tw07.sized.jpg
    FuneraillesGDJC_tw07.sized.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 676
  • p41e948e6a8321.jpg
    p41e948e6a8321.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 943
  • p41e948e5be2d7.jpg
    p41e948e5be2d7.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 878
  • p41e948e4293d8.jpg
    p41e948e4293d8.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 849
  • children41e948d7d425a.jpg
    children41e948d7d425a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,066
It's a latin form of a slavian name, "vjenez" meaning wreath and "slava" meaning glory
I think it's spelled on the French way Wen-ses-la but I'm not sure!:rolleyes:

Thanks drimal!:D

:) Thanks for the pics drimal

I think Wenceslas is so-named as his Mum is half Yugoslavian

:( msfroyste, is it true that Jean is divorced? Couldn't get the link you posted to work...

Last edited:
No one really quite knows if Jean is divorced because his life is so secretive. But he is at least seperated from his wife.

the link is out of date, sorry lady jane. however, it was announced, on the benelux msg board when i posted it that they had, indeed, divorced. and someone had said that they had had confirmation from someone at the court. *shrugs b/c she doesn't know if it's really true or not. hope that helps.

Reina said:
Was he the first born?

No, luckily for everyone, the present Grand Duke is the elder brother. It really would have been a huge upset if he had been heir to the throne, or whatever they have in a Grand Dukedom.

Back
Top Bottom