Grand Duke Jean's 95th Birthday Celebrations: January 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On rtl.lu they have the guestlist for the Concert today. Apart from all children and grandchidlren also Queen Sofia, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium, Princess Beatrix, King Constantin II. and Queen Anne-Marie, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath and Princess Irene of Greece will attend.
RTL.lu - People - All d'Kanner an Enkelkanner den Owend mat derbäi

Fantastic. Nice surprise so royals gathered and big Greek presence surprised me.

It is nice that the former Chef of the House Orange-Nassau visits this special birthday of the former Chef of the House Nassau.

Picture: in 1990 the Chef of the House Nassau welcomed the Chef of the House Orange-Nassau to celebrate that 100 years ago the Grand-Duchy went from the one branch of the dynasty (Orange-Nassau) to the other branch (Nassau).

Last edited:
Is there any link to see the ceremony live?

P
Fantastic. Nice surprise so royals gathered and big Greek presence surprised me.

Queen Anne-Marie and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte were cousins. The mother of Anne-Marie was Princess Ingrid of Sweden. The mother of Joséphine-Charlotte was Princess Astrid of Sweden. On this picture you see the later Queen of Italy and the later Queen of Denmark as bridesmaids to King Léopold III and Queen Astrid.

Princess Astrid would become mother of two Kings and a Grand-Duchess. Queen Ingrid would become mother to two Queens and a Fürstin. Those were the days. It was still fun to follow royals because everything was connected to everything.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I love the group photo! It's always nice to see the European royals together. I would've liked to have seen a British representative there but a couple of other countries are missing, so it's not like they're the only ones who didn't go.

A pity that King Albert II and Queen Paola could not make it, though it is nice that their son attended with Queen Mathilde. I suppose the sisters of GD Jean were also not well enough to attend and were represented by one daughter each.

Happy birthday to the Grand Duke!

Last edited:
Its a pity that neither of his 2 remaining sisters could make it,but given their age that is understandable.

All in all a lovely royal gathering!

A pity that King Albert II and Queen Paola could not make it, though it is nice that their son attended with Queen Mathilde. I suppose the sisters of GD Jean were also not well enough to attend and were represented by one daughter each.

Princess Anne de Ligne and Countess Antonia of Holstein-Ledreborg are goddaughters of Grand Duke Jean and were thus present at the palais. There were also others, such as Princes Sophie of Hohenberg e.g., present for the concert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the group photo! It's always nice to see the European royals together. I would've liked to have seen a British representative there but a couple of other countries are missing, so it's not like they're the only ones who didn't go.

It is pretty much family and good friends:
Philippe of Belgium = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Anne-Marie of the Hellenes = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Sofía of Spain = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Irene of Greece = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Beatrix of the Netherlands = former Chef of the House of Orange-Nassau (Jean is the former Chef of the House Nassau)
Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath = they maintain warm relations with almost all royal families

Happy birthday to Grand Duke Jean! Rather surprised that there wasn't any representation from Great Britain, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.

On another note ... I just do not understand Stephanie's lack of style (or interest in). She has designers at her disposal -- as proven by her wardrobe during her wedding festivities. She has a great deal of potential -- unfortunately, she usually looks like she just went into her closet and selected whatever was at arm's length.

She seems to be a lovely girl but she seriously needs to upgrade her fashion sense. JMHO.

To be honest, I think the whole family deserves an award for 'worst dressed'.

A great event to celebrate the 95th birthday of Grand Duke Jean. Good to see his family like this. :flowers:

At the background in this picture you can see two footmen in livery: darkblue coat with orange accents and a nassaublue pair of trousers. This was the livery under the Orange-Nassau Grand-Dukes and I love it that the Nassau Grand-Dukes still continue it. Here on this archive picture you have a better view on the traditional uniform of a footman at the Grand-Ducal Court.

Last edited:
[...]

She seems to be a lovely girl but she seriously needs to upgrade her fashion sense. JMHO.

Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy comes from a traditional and conservative countryside background and married into a family with a traditional and conservative countryside background. No Rania-like fashionistas wobbling on Louboutins in the Grand-Duchy.

Stéphanie in beige gown

Stéphanie in mourning

Stéphanie in greyish green

Stéphanie in lightblue lace

Stéphanie in rose

Stéphanie in cobaltblue lace

Stéphanie in beige gala

Stéphanie in antracite gala

Stéphanie in grey

There is not much wrong with her outfits. It is only very Tüchtig, as might be expected from Luxembourg...

Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy comes from a traditional and conservative countryside background and married into a family with a traditional and conservative countryside background. No Rania-like fashionistas wobbling on Louboutins in the Grand-Duchy.

Stéphanie in beige gown

Stéphanie in mourning

Stéphanie in greyish green

Stéphanie in lightblue lace

Stéphanie in rose

Stéphanie in cobaltblue lace

Stéphanie in beige gala

Stéphanie in antracite gala

Stéphanie in grey

There is not much wrong with her outfits. It is only very Tüchtig, as might be expected from Luxembourg...

Nobody is asking for a fashionista - an outfit that is not plain ugly or ill fitting would already be sufficient.
The waist area reminds me of pyjama pants. The top is ok.
https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/74b...rtv3/0cf09dda3d470eadaea2224a679cfb6748315879

I love these group photos for royal events. The challenge of having a large group all smile at the camera at the same time. I see at least three heads turned away and Queen Anne Marie appears to be in the middle of a conversation. :p

Congratulation to Grand Duke Jean on this milestone birthday.

Back
Top Bottom