General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your original post quoted Lori138's post and question, which implied that your post was intended to be an answer to her question. And her question was not whether they have a choice to live abroad (clearly they do), it was why they (chose to) live abroad.
I literally gave examples as to why and gave an example of the House of Liechtenstein whose arrangements are similar to the Grand Ducal family.

I literally gave examples as to why and gave an example of the House of Liechtenstein whose arrangements are similar to the Grand Ducal family.

Do you refer to this post?

Sebastien, never really did representative duties so no need for him to be there. Secondly, Felix and Claire partly run or are involved her family’s business and don’t really do royal duties so need for them to be there either. Just like in Liechtenstein the core family members stay in the country, but non-senior members live outside for work, business, privacy etc out of their own choices. Louis doesn’t really need to be in Luxembourg as he hardly does any representative work on behalf on the family.

It seems you see the matter differently than the original poster and I do. I would say that "never really did representative duties" could be one reason why they are not required to live in Luxembourg, but it does not answer why they chose not to live in Luxembourg. Most people the world over do not do representative duties, but still live in the same country where they were raised.

Do you refer to this post?

It seems you see the matter differently than the original poster and I do. I would say that "never really did representative duties" could be one reason why they are not required to live in Luxembourg, but it does not answer why they chose not to live in Luxembourg. Most people the world over do not do representative duties, but still live in the same country where they were raised.
But they don’t do representation for Luxembourg and I clearly made an example of the Liechtenstein family giving some general examples by saying some do business, some who study abroad, others who have homes outside the Principality, others who have jobs outside, others who simply moved abroad because of their spouses, and others who moved for privacy. Claire and Felix I think help run her family’s business, and I don’t know anything about the employment or business of the other children.

A question for the forum. Why do most of the Princely family live in France? It seems the only ones who live in Luxembourg full-time are HGD Guillaume and Stephanie. Marie-Theresa lives in France (apart from her husband most of the time), Louis lives in France as does Sebastien and Felix and Alexandra had her wedding there and will reside there. I find it rather odd or has it always been this way?

I have it on good authority that it is a family choice/rule. They’ve decided because the country is so small only the reigning couple and the heir can/should live in the country. This is what I was told a few years ago by a source within the family circle.

I have it on good authority that it is a family choice/rule. They’ve decided because the country is so small only the reigning couple and the heir can/should live in the country. This is what I was told a few years ago by a source within the family circle.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

I imagine there is also a certain amount to which it is easier to be a private citizen when you live in another country. While the Lix press seems to go easy on the family and isn’t intrusive following them around it probably helps not living where everyone knows you are “Princess” or “Prince” so and so. And as Sarah says, there isn’t enough “work” to spread across the rest of the family requiring them to live full time in Luxembourg.
Tbh it isn’t that rare in royal families for members who aren’t the reigning / heir couple to live overseas.
Currently that is the case in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Spain and more recently the UK (where I am surprised more don’t do the same). In Belgium Astrid use to live overseas and some of her children do now.

Unlike other countries, we never seem to hear about the opening of the Luxembourg Chamber of Representatives. Does the Grand Duke officiate at this?

Yes, they can. This interview with a jurist answers the questions concerning the voting rights pretty well:

** lessentiel.lu: Darf der Großherzog eigentlich wählen? ** translation **

Interesting. So there is no legislation which prescribes that the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess are free from Luxembourg's legal mandate to vote - it is merely the custom of the city officials to exempt them.

In the case of the Grand Duke, one could argue that his role as nonpartisan head of state implicitly exempts him from voting, but what justification is there for the exemption for the Grand Duchess? As the events surrounding the Waringo Report reminded us, the consort has no constitutional role. Isn't this another instance of the Grand Duchess (consort) being wrongly treated as equal to the Grand Duke (regnant)?

Personally, I think the whole Grand-Ducal House and all persons in line to the throne should be exempted, not by unwritten custom, but by law.

Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa sent their end of year 2023 wishes to the public today:

The Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess, and through them the Family, would like to warmly thank you for your unfailing support and your many signs of attention transmitted throughout the year. They wish you and your loved ones their best wishes and will soon see you in 2024

** monarchie: Les vœux de fin d'année 2023 du Grand-Duc et de la Grande-Duchesse **

Two new photos of Stéphanie, Guillaume, Charles and Francois have been released as well:

** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
Seeing François is like seeing the late Grand Duke Jean all over again, it's also hard to believe how grown up Charles is, he was a chubby baby just yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa sent their end of year 2023 wishes to the public today:

** monarchie: Les vœux de fin d'année 2023 du Grand-Duc et de la Grande-Duchesse **

Two new photos of Stéphanie, Guillaume, Charles and Francois have been released as well:

** instagram gallery **

Wow 10 pictures and 3 of them include the grand duchess holding her youngest grandson... even more than his parents holding their son (one each). She truly likes to be the star of the show.

It would have been nice if pictures of Alexandra's religious wedding (and not only her civil wedding) had been included too.

:previous: The 2023 Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg photos are lovely; they show an overall content and happy group. I especially never tire of seeing the joy that eminates from Guillaume, Stéphanie, and their beautiful little boys Charles and Francois.

Prince Charles and Prince Francois are fine examples of Happiness beginning with a capital H. ??

Seeing little Prince François is like seeing Grand Duke Jean reincarnated.

The Grand Ducal Court published on Instagram on occasion of the 43rd wedding anniversary of the Grand Ducal Couple
43 years ago, on February 14, 1981 - Valentine's Day, H.R.H. the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess said "I do"!

Let's wish the Grand Ducal Couple a very happy wedding anniversary.

© Photographic collections of the Grand Ducal House of Luxembourg
Instagram

Back
Top Bottom