General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The website of the GDF still requires some updates; for example the family still doesn't include their future grand duke: prince Charles.

Luckily, he is mentioned at his parents' pages (Guillaume, Stéphanie)

I think it needs a revamp it looks about 10 years out of date but at least it functions unlike the crash prone casareal .

Yes the GDF website needs to be updated and modernized.

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa shared a Christmas card with all her children and grandchildren:

"I wish you all a wonderful holiday season with your family.

May the magic of Christmas erase for a few moments this difficult year":

** Card **

Great to see that all grandchildren got together at least once this year. The 'family' picture seems to be from a previous year. Nonetheless, great that she included various family pictures in her Christmas wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Palace:

"The House of the Grand Duke has been contacted regarding an active Linkedin account circulating in the name of His Royal Highness the Grand Duke. The House of the Grand Duke would like to point out that the “Grand Duke Henri” profile visible on the platform in question, as well as the associated activities, have no link with the Grand Duke, respectively the House of the Grand Duke, nor with the company mentioned therein. This is a fake."

https://t.co/E0F82x5ZRE?amp=1

Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa are the executive directors of the real estate company "Flags".

The real estate is based in one of the best neighborhoods in the French capital! 45, rue de Bellchasse, 7th arrondissement.
The "SCI Flags" belonging to the Grand Duke and the Grand Duchess will exist for 99 years. The shares in the company's share capital (600 euros) belong to both parties.

Everything is managed by Henri and Maria Teresa, and they are also entitled to the apartment, but every child has a share. Maria Teresa and Henri own 20,500 shares each, plus ten each. Guillaume, Félix, Louis, Alexandra and Sébastien each own 8,200 shares.

FLAGS is mainly managed by de Nassau Henri, who is its Manager.

The main activity of this company is: Rental of land and other real estate, rental of offices, rental of commercial space, rental of exhibition halls, rental of conference rooms, rental of reception rooms, rental of meeting rooms meeting, land rental, land rental, rental and operation of non-residential buildings (offices, commercial spaces, exhibition halls, conference, reception or meeting room, self-service storage facilities , etc.) the rental of land and land, in particular for agricultural use the rental of business assets the monthly or annual rental of boxes or garage spaces for vehicles.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ma-in-paris.html+&cd=1&hl=pt-PT&ct=clnk&gl=pt

https://edecideur.info/edecideur.ph...011-flags-45-rue-de-bellechasse-75007-paris-7

https://www.meilleursagents.com/prix-immobilier/paris-75000/rue-de-bellechasse-1784/45/

http://entreprises.lefigaro.fr/flags-75/entreprise-812110666

Last edited:
An Easter greeting of the Grand Ducal family together with paintings that were sent to the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess:

** Pic **

And some old family photos shared on Easter Monday:

** Pics **

Last edited:
The link is not working for me, but thank you for posting it. How reliable is Luxprivat?

The link is not working for me, but thank you for posting it. How reliable is Luxprivat?

For me the link is working.
I don't know if "Luxprivat" is a reliable source. But I thought it was interesting to share the news.

MT already hinted that Henri is going to abdicate in the not too distant future (I was thinking *within a few years* - see my earlier calculations), so it would be wise to prepare for it.

Its not unlikely that he will abdicate some time soon. Marie Therese is not doing royal duties, and is living outside Lux.. and he probalby would like to give up work and be iwth her.. and Guillaume now has an heir

For me the link is working.
I don't know if "Luxprivat" is a reliable source. But I thought it was interesting to share the news.

If their past headlines are any indication, Luxprivat is the lowest type of gossip rag. Princess Alexandra has been pregnant five times according to them.:whistling:

I would side eye anything they report.

The House of the Grand Duke has noted an upsurge in Facebook and/or Instagram accounts/posts that impersonate members of the Family and of the Grand-Ducal Court. The “GovCert” computer emergency response team has been informed.

We remind you that the Grand-Ducal Court, the members of the Family and the Maison du Grand-Duke do not offer gifts or subsidies in their name or in the name of a member of the government. The offers promoted by these accounts and posts are fraudulent and should be reported to the relevant social network.

The Marshal also wishes to clarify that the Court does not use sponsored (paid) messages to promote its accounts and publications.
https://monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/fausses-publications-sur-facebook-instagram-maj

Stephanie had to learn luxemburgich (I don’t even know how to spell it). Assuming she was already speaking german. But luxemburgich is what the locals speak - if I understand correctly it is a mix between german and neederlandisch.

Letzebuergesh (or Luxembourgish in English) is mainly a variant of German (it was once considered one of its dialects but has evolved to become its own language.

So, while I don't know whether Claire speaks Luxembourgish (as I assume they mainly speak German at home), it should have been a bit easier for her to learn than for Stephanie - but if I am not mistaken she already spoke both Dutch and German and she is an avid language learner, so I don't think she had a lot of issues understanding but learning to speak the language always takes some time.

A question for the forum. Why do most of the Princely family live in France? It seems the only ones who live in Luxembourg full-time are HGD Guillaume and Stephanie. Marie-Theresa lives in France (apart from her husband most of the time), Louis lives in France as does Sebastien and Felix and Alexandra had her wedding there and will reside there. I find it rather odd or has it always been this way?

I guess maybe the younger children need their space to build their lives since none of them are the heir apparent. Luxembourg is small. I wasn't aware that MT was living abroad outside of Luxembourg...strange...

A question for the forum. Why do most of the Princely family live in France? It seems the only ones who live in Luxembourg full-time are HGD Guillaume and Stephanie. Marie-Theresa lives in France (apart from her husband most of the time), Louis lives in France as does Sebastien and Felix and Alexandra had her wedding there and will reside there. I find it rather odd or has it always been this way?

This is Parliament's comprehensive website on the major constitutional reform that took effect on July 1, 2023. As shown in the timeline, the reform had been in progress since 2009.

https://www.chd.lu/fr/RevisionsConstitution

The new and older versions of the Constitution can be found on Legilux.

I don't know the exact ins and oust but it seems that a lot of other things have changed not just the constitution referring to the Grand Duke and monarchy. It seems like, as you can imagine given the old constitution was 175 years old, it didn't reflect modern Luxembourg. One example - the annual allowance for the Grand Duke and heir were set out in the old Luxembourg Franc currency - no longer used and replaced by the Euro.

While the constitution dates from 1868, it had already been amended numerous times. But the recent reform was much more comprehensive than most previous amendments.

The reform's effects on the grand-ducal finances went further than deleting the reference to francs.

Under the previous version of the Constitution, the amount of the civil list was only modifiable at the beginning of each reign. In addition to the civil list, the Sovereign House could also be allocated money in each year's parliamentary budget to cover their representation costs:

Art. 43.
(Révision du 6 mai 1948)
«La liste civile est fixée à trois cent mille francs-or par an.
Elle peut être changée par la loi au commencement de chaque règne. La loi budgétaire peut allouer chaque année à la Maison Souveraine les sommes nécessaires pour couvrir les frais de représentation. »​

Now, after the reform, there is no longer a single civil list, but separate dotations for the Grand Duke, the abdicated Grand Duke, the Hereditary Grand Duke, the Regent and the Lieutenant-Representative. The amount of the dotations can be modified every year, not only at the start of a new reign.

Art. 54.
Le Grand-Duc, l’ancien Chef de l’État, le Grand-Duc Héritier, le Régent et le Lieutenant-Représentant touchent sur le budget de l’État une dotation annuelle, dont les éléments et le montant sont fixés par la loi.​

The amounts of the dotations for this first year were already voted through in June.

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/2071734.html

It looks to me like its been in large part a "cleaning up" to allow the constitution to reflect the Grand Duchy of today.

Exactly; one of the main motives for the constitutional reform was to make the text of the constitution correspond to the way in which the grand duchy already operates.

Most of the changes regarding the monarchy seem to have already been in place (change to succession laws etc).

I would agree that changes such as stating that the Grand Duke exercises his powers in conjunction with the government, and that his constitutional functions are obligations and not prerogatives, were already in place in reality.

But I'm not sure that can be said of the succession laws, as I would say they were comprehensively revised by the new reforms.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/luxembourg-succession-and-titles-33317-9.html#post2561196

Last edited:
Sebastien, never really did representative duties so no need for him to be there. Secondly, Felix and Claire partly run or are involved her family’s business and don’t really do royal duties so need for them to be there either. Just like in Liechtenstein the core family members stay in the country, but non-senior members live outside for work, business, privacy etc out of their own choices. Louis doesn’t really need to be in Luxembourg as he hardly does any representative work on behalf on the family.

Sebastien, never really did representative duties so no need for him to be there. Secondly, Felix and Claire partly run or are involved her family’s business and don’t really do royal duties so need for them to be there either. Just like in Liechtenstein the core family members stay in the country, but non-senior members live outside for work, business, privacy etc out of their own choices. Louis doesn’t really need to be in Luxembourg as he hardly does any representative work on behalf on the family.

Yes I understand that they do not have duties, but that doesn't really answer the question as to why they don't live in their native country. Especially the present Grand Duchess.

Yes I understand that they do not have duties, but that doesn't really answer the question as to why they don't live in their native country. Especially the present Grand Duchess.
I said they have a choice and they chose not to. They don’t have to stay in Luxembourg if they don’t want to and by they I’m referring to the younger children of the Grand Ducal family. I can’t speak on the Grand Duchess.

I said they have a choice and they chose not to. They don’t have to stay in Luxembourg if they don’t want to and by they I’m referring to the younger children of the Grand Ducal family. I can’t speak on the Grand Duchess.

Your original post quoted Lori138's post and question, which implied that your post was intended to be an answer to her question. And her question was not whether they have a choice to live abroad (clearly they do), it was why they (chose to) live abroad.

Back
Top Bottom